or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple unused to being attacked, must adjust to new role on defense, analyst says
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unused to being attacked, must adjust to new role on defense, analyst says - Page 2

post #41 of 49
It is hard to defend against this. Once you start you can never stop. And not responding to a lie, will make it the truth in the media. Better to not comment. Just run the company well and make great products.
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21yr_mac_user View Post

I have seen the same thing - long time iPhone users are opting for the big screen - mainly to avoid carrying 2 devices - (e.g. why have an iPad mini and a iPhone when you can have one 5-6" phone?).

Is that why the iPhone has one of the highest (if not the highest) satisfaction and retention ratings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

What used to be a no-brainer decision in terms of plug-n-play, it just works, think different, etc. is now something substantially watered down. For example, Apple's trend towards a multiplicity of adapters — all the while espousing the concept of simplicity — reveals the slight-of-hand that weakens the perception AND reality of their brand. 
...
Apple, under Tim Cook's leadership, IMHO, has regressed to a state of disjointed union and suspicious quality. The problem with greatness is that anything less feels abysmal. I *hope* they're able to turn the boat around, truly.

Multiplicity if adapters? If you bought a lightning connected device, you get a cable too. The old 30pin didn't suddenly vanish.

High (if not the highest) satisfaction rating. High (if not the highest) reliability rating.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Multiplicity if adapters? If you bought a lightning connected device, you get a cable too. The old 30pin didn't suddenly vanish.

 

If I buy a MacBook Pro and want to use my existing Firewire drives I need an adaptor. If I want the speed of a wired ethernet connection I need an adaptor. You get the idea.

 

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way godrifle does. "It just works" has become a running joke around here, as lately lots of things haven't:

 

- The firmware update failed on two out of three Airports ("An error occurred. The device will just quit working now. Sorry.")

 

- One of our iPhones forgot how to send mail one day last week. Just suddenly started spewing error messages every time we tried to send, for no apparent reason. Rebooting it didn't help. We had to restore the device and re-enter the settings to get it working again.

 

- Mountain Lion machines coming up with random little faults, like refusing to accept re-ordering the WiFi list, creating multiple duplicate Photo Streams, randomly losing track of Time Machine backups and insisting the backup you've been updating for months suddenly doesn't exist, even though we can SEE the file on the drive...

 

I could go on but you get the point, which is that the painless experience we've learned to expect from Apple seems, to us, to be eroding. The software is much buggier now than even just a couple years ago. The hardware becomes less connectable and customizable with each generation. It's not the end of civilization and it's not yet bad enough for us to change platforms, but right now it's not as good as it has been.


Edited by v5v - 3/9/13 at 1:05am
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

Bigger screen = better user experience?

Report back to us one year from now.  I will bet you $20 right now that she will be back to an iOS device before 12 months are over.  
Because she will be purchasing the new iPhone 6, which "I'll bet" will be bigger... probably be around 4.7" and 4.9". 1tongue.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

If I buy a MacBook Pro and want to use my existing Firewire drives I need an adaptor. If I want the speed of a wired ethernet connection I need an adaptor. You get the idea.

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way godrifle does. "It just works" has become a running joke around here, as a lately lots of things haven't:

Be a little bit more realistic with "it just works". It's still a computer and does need some "attention" once in a while to keep it running smooth and trouble free. May I suggest at the very least that you run "Repair Permissions" once a week and specifically before AND after any OS updates. You should also take a look at Onyx, which can and does do a wonderful job with it's automation scripts to "quick-fix" a flaky Mac.
Quote:
- The firmware update failed on two out of three Airports ("An error occurred. The device will just quit working now. Sorry.")

Unfortunate: but did you do a total reset of the Airports?
Quote:
- One of our iPhones forgot how to send mail one day last week. Just suddenly started spewing error messages every time we tried to send, for no apparent reason. Rebooting it didn't help. We had to restore the device and re-enter the settings to get it working again.

Happens too often... I must agree. However, before resetting the entire device, did you try deleting the Email account, and then adding it again after a restart of the iPhone? Works almost every time for assorted clients as well as myself.
Quote:
- Mountain Lion machines coming up with random little faults, like refusing to accept re-ordering the WiFi list, creating multiple duplicate Photo Streams, randomly losing track of Time Machine backups and insisting the backup you've been updating for months suddenly doesn't exist, even though we can SEE the file on the drive...

Again. Repair permissions. Time Machine backup: turn it off and deselect the drive as a T-M backup. Then on again, reselecting your T-M drive as the back drive. 90% success rate here.
Quote:
I could go on but you get the point, which is that the painless experience we've learned to expect from Apple seems, to us, to be eroding. The software is much buggier now than even just a couple years ago. The hardware becomes less connectable and customizable with each generation. It's not the end of civilization and it's not yet bad enough for us to change platforms, but right now it's not as good as it has been.

Only part of the last statement I'm going to agree with is, YES... I think OS X and iOS can be better. That's why I'm hoping for some great announcements and improvements at WWDC this year.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

If I buy a MacBook Pro and want to use my existing Firewire drives I need an adaptor. If I want the speed of a wired ethernet connection I need an adaptor. You get the idea.

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way godrifle does. "It just works" has become a running joke around here, as a lately lots of things haven't:

Blah blah blah

I could go on but you get the point, which is that the painless experience we've learned to expect from Apple seems, to us, to be eroding. The software is much buggier now than even just a couple years ago. The hardware becomes less connectable and customizable with each generation. It's not the end of civilization and it's not yet bad enough for us to change platforms, but right now it's not as good as it has been.

So you're telling me there were no bugs during the Jobs years? No issues with adapters, discontunued tech, or software glitches? That's amazing revisionist history.
post #47 of 49

Apple should have remain in dealing with computers and maybe tablets.

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So you're telling me there were no bugs during the Jobs years? No issues with adapters, discontunued tech, or software glitches? That's amazing revisionist history.

 

No, I did NOT say it's a Jobs vs. Cook thing, nor did I say that everything was perfect before. All I said was that things seem, to us, to be getting worse. Your mileage may vary.

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Sweet mother of frick, this phrase has now been said in actual seriousness. What moron wants a SIX INCH PHONE?!

 

 

Women who carry a purse and thus can accommodate a larger phone, men with big fingers who have trouble typing on an iPhone, or want to play a game without their fingers covering half the screen, and men who don't wear skinny jeans...  Also, old people who can't see very well (like my parents, who are both going to 5+ inch screens).  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple unused to being attacked, must adjust to new role on defense, analyst says