or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ferrari in talks with Apple about in-car entertainment partnership
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ferrari in talks with Apple about in-car entertainment partnership

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
The chairman of luxury carmaker Ferrari has revealed that his company is in active discussions with Apple about a larger partnership for in-car entertainment services.

Ferrari
The Ferrari LaFerrari was unveiled in Geneva on Tuesday. Photo via Autoblog.


The news was revealed by Luca Cordero Di Montezemolo at the Geneva motor show on Tuesday, according to Bloomberg. The first signs of a potential alignment between the two companies came last November, when Eddy Cue, Apple's head of Internet software and services, joined the Ferrari board of directors.

Speaking at the car show, Di Montezemolo said that his company will be "more precise" about its partnership with Apple in the coming months.

The latest news came as as Ferrari unveiled its new "FF," the company's first four-seater and four-wheel-drive car. The vehicle supports Siri Eyes Free voice commands, and also includes two iPad minis for rear passengers to use.

Siri Eyes Free functionality debuted with the launch of iOS 6 last year. The new feature allows car-makers to integrate Siri voice control when connected to an iPhone.

For years, Apple has shown interest in having a greater presence in users' cars, though to date it hasn't made any car-centric devices. One car-related patent discovered by AppleInsider last year described a system that would sync an iPhone with a vehicle, sharing information such as contacts and locations.

di Montezemolo also revealed in comments made last year that he had a two-hour meeting with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook to talk about corporate strategy and management styles. He said that he gained insight from Cook regarding Apple's focus on simplicity, design, and "a passion for product."

"We're building cars, they build computers," he said. "But Apple and Ferrari are connected by the same passion, the same love for the product, maniacal attention to technology, but also to design."
post #2 of 35

Ferraris shouldn't have entertainment systems, or cup holders.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ferraris shouldn't have entertainment systems, or cup holders.

 

A shuffle wouldn't add too much weight.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #4 of 35
Please observe all posted speed limits in your 983 horsepower Ferrari.
post #5 of 35
Ferrari wants Apple to develop a system for giving road head?¡ 1confused.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 35

This is a pretty small market

post #7 of 35

Installing an iPad mini is to control everything is certainly lighter than whatever auto-only option can be developed.  I think its a great idea and will certainly let Ferrari stand out.

post #8 of 35

I like how the Ferrari comes with two iPad Minis for the two passengers in the back.

 

It's also pretty obvious why Ferrari teamed up with Apple and not Google/Android. 

post #9 of 35
@greendisease Ferraris, yes. Cars, no.
post #10 of 35
Ferraris have an entertainment system. It's a V-12 engine with a steering wheel.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Please observe all posted speed limits in your 983 horsepower Ferrari.

Kudo's to Apple and Ferrari. :)

 

Just what the planet needs! :)

 

I'm a Ferrari fan, but I would like to see more eco-friendly sports cars from Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, etc. 

 

I kind of look at these type of cars as I do Hummers...pretty much of a "tool" that's driving it! :)

post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm a Ferrari fan, but I would like to see more eco-friendly sports cars from Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin, etc. 

The one pictured above is a hybrid.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #13 of 35
Nice.
The best meeting the best.
So how will our resident trolls respond to this?
GG: 23 URLs that purport android support for the vehicle industry?
KD: A technology sermon of the inner workings of the Ferrari engine to wow us with his tech knowledge, but not adding anything to the discussion. Knowledge he/she cuts/pastes from the Internet
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The chairman of luxury carmaker Ferrari has revealed that his company is in active discussions with Apple about a larger partnership for in-car entertainment services.

I've been saying for years that Apple could revolutionize the car entertainment market. Existing audio systems in cars stink from a UI perspective.

I'd rate this as far more likely than them introducing a television.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

This is a pretty small market

 

Of course it is.  But it's more important than the market size, as it's also a matter of prestige-based partnership.

post #16 of 35
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're building cars, they build computers," he said. "But Apple and Ferrari are connected by the same passion, the same love for the product, maniacal attention to technology, but also to design."

 

And neither company has fallen into the "market share above all else" trap.

(Ferrari's parent company, Fiat, handles the mid-range to low-end market.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 
I've been saying for years that Apple could revolutionize the car entertainment market. Existing audio systems in cars stink from a UI perspective.

I'd rate this as far more likely than them introducing a television.

One thing that I feel is important about automobile interfaces is tactile feedback so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Sure you can achieve some efficiency with voice control, however, I prefer a good old knobs and switches. I don't think Apple can just slap an iPad in the dash and call it a day.

 

I'd say the BMW input method is quite easy to use, at least for me.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #18 of 35
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Ferrari LaFerrari was unveiled in Geneva on Tuesday. Photo via Autoblog.

 

Just FYI: the LaFerrari will be Ferrari's most powerful car, and it will be a hybrid.

800hp 6.3 liter V-12 with an occasional 163 hp boost available from an electric motor powered

by a KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System).  And it might also be ultra-light.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The one pictured above is a hybrid.

Yep, you're right. Thx. :)

post #20 of 35

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I've been saying for years that Apple could revolutionize the car entertainment market. Existing audio systems in cars stink from a UI perspective.

 

I'm for it, as long as they don't take away all the physical knobs and buttons.

 

Touch systems usually suck in a car.  You have to look at them, and they're tough to use on a bumpy road.

 

With knobs of different sizes or shapes and positions, you can quickly learn where everything is by feel... and never have to take your eyes off the road.

 

(Of course, steering wheel controls also work well for that.)

 

Edit:  I see mstone beat me to it.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

800hp 6.3 liter V-12 with an occasional 163 hp boost available from an electric motor powered

I don't think you can really expect much of a boost from the electric motor when you already have 800hp. The electric is for driving around town, in traffic, when you want it to be quiet, not to go from 200mph to 210mph.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 35
Yeah, the kids get bored in the back seat of my Ferrari.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think you can really expect much of a boost from the electric motor when you already have 800hp. The electric is for driving around town, in traffic, when you want it to be quiet, not to go from 200mph to 210mph.


I'd guess you haven't watched or attended a Formula One race in recent years, in which the KERS system was developed and used. It has been shown to be quite effective assisting a vehicle from 150-160 mph to 180-190 mph.

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think you can really expect much of a boost from the electric motor when you already have 800hp. The electric is for driving around town, in traffic, when you want it to be quiet, not to go from 200mph to 210mph.


I'd guess you haven't watched or attended a Formula One race in recent years, in which the KERS system was developed and used. It has been shown to be quite effective assisting a vehicle from 150-160 mph to 180-190 mph.

That is precisely my point. I was apparently off by a few miles an hour though. Speeds in that range are a very unlikely scenario for this auto since you would only do it once before you would either have your license suspended or die wrapped around a light pole. This is a street car not a race car. The horsepower is just for boasting. It has no practical use, unlike the electric motor, which is very practical for speeds within the legal limit.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Yeah, the kids get bored in the back seat of my Ferrari.

They're the only ones that can fit in the back.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 35
Finally! I've been putting off buying a Ferrari until they add iPhone compatibility!
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ferraris have an entertainment system. It's a V-12 engine with a steering wheel.
That would be the Countach. Having rebuilt a V-12 from one recently I can attest to the fact the Countach is just a monster engine/tranny with a couple seats stuck on front.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

One thing that I feel is important about automobile interfaces is tactile feedback so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Sure you can achieve some efficiency with voice control, however, I prefer a good old knobs and switches. I don't think Apple can just slap an iPad in the dash and call it a day.

I'd say the BMW input method is quite easy to use, at least for me.

I don't think anyone ever said Apple could just slap an iPad in the dash and call it a day. Did they simply squash an iMac to produce the iPod? Did they simply add an antenna to the iPod to produce the iPhone?

Apple knows UI design.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That would be the Countach. Having rebuilt a V-12 from one recently I can attest to the fact the Countach is just a monster engine/tranny with a couple seats stuck on front.

Have you ever blown a tranny?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you ever blown a tranny?

I for one haven't, but I'll tell you that I dreamt I was a muffler and I woke up exhausted. Ha!!
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

That would be the Countach. Having rebuilt a V-12 from one recently I can attest to the fact the Countach is just a monster engine/tranny with a couple seats stuck on front.

Your Countach is a monster tranny? 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you ever blown a tranny?
Blown several on the track and in bed. Forget road head - next up is blowing a tranny WHILE blowing a tranny.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Blown several on the track and in bed. Forget road head - next up is blowing a tranny WHILE blowing a tranny.

Damn! You know where I was going with that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 35
Ferrari needs this badly, their current 'infotainment' systems suck. Like check out a Ferrari California's in-dash unit - its literally an OEM module you can find in a Chrysler 300.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is precisely my point. I was apparently off by a few miles an hour though. Speeds in that range are a very unlikely scenario for this auto since you would only do it once before you would either have your license suspended or die wrapped around a light pole. This is a street car not a race car. The horsepower is just for boasting. It has no practical use, unlike the electric motor, which is very practical for speeds within the legal limit.

The advantage of an electric motor-assist for a performance car is the torque, not the horsepower - especially for what I'm sure is a 10,000rpm buzzbox of an engine in that Ferrari.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ferrari in talks with Apple about in-car entertainment partnership