or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel' - Page 3

post #81 of 132

It wouldn't even matter if Samsung's newest phone was wrapped in pure platinum with a solid gold back plate. If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold. The turd here is Android, and Android hardware doesn't really interest me at all.

post #82 of 132
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold.

 

Worst part is that it's that edible gold leaf you see on unnecessarily fancy foods.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #83 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Plastic is never a premium feeling. It's always the second cheaper choice to realize mass products without premium strategy. Plastic means: We want your maximum bunch of money but we don't give any high quality. We are just looking how to maximize our profit without a real interest in user experience.
 

 

Samsung phones look and feel like garbage, but the Nokia Lumia 920's polycarbonate is pretty amazing.

 

 

EDIT:

 

I have to scratch my head at the naysayers of plastic vs. aluminum. Yes, plastic is better able to absorb impacts, but what about that drop test where the iPhone 5 fared so much better than the GS3? Clearly there is more to this than simple materials choice.


Edited by guaihu - 3/5/13 at 7:17pm

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #84 of 132
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post
Oh Genesis fruit pickers... liquid metal (we thought of it first so it's better), and polycarb plastic sucks because we say so. 

 

Have fun with that aluminum stuff the next time you are in a hospital. 

 

Aside from being a completely nonsensical attack of Apple for the sake of being an attack against Apple, what the heck are you trying to say here?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #85 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've seen aluminum get oxidized to the point that it became powder so yes it can be rubbed off.

I know what you mean, but I've got a few nicks on an otherwise *lightly used* 2007 MBP and there's no such powder. This isn't like a car wheel that's punished by road salts or something like that. It takes something pretty aggressive to get that bad. I'll see if I can dig up some machined, non-anodized parts that I made eight years ago. Suffice to say, the aluminum will outlast the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Have fun with that aluminum stuff the next time you are in a hospital. 

Huh? Did you just go passive-aggresive on us? You're free to explain in non-vague terms. I bet what you're thinking is either baloney, or overblown for such minimal contact. There's no "black lung" equivalent for people that handle finished aluminum products, even for those that have machined it for a career, much less for people that touch it occasionally.
Edited by JeffDM - 3/5/13 at 8:02pm
post #86 of 132
The word "premium" exists in Shamesuck dictionary ? Not shame and suck ? And copy ?
post #87 of 132
Samsung calls anything "premium" to try to fool people. They fool themselves all the time.
post #88 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see Android users all the time using phones with cracked screens but I'm sure a little scratch or oxidation would be completely unacceptable. Phones have a maximum life expectancy of about 5 years. Even if you left a piece of uncoated aluminum such as the old aluminum windows, out in the elements for 20 years the oxidation would be so minimal that you could polish it back to new condition with no trouble at all.

What does android have to do with it... I see people with iPhones with cracked screens all the time. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It wouldn't even matter if Samsung's newest phone was wrapped in pure platinum with a solid gold back plate. If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold. The turd here is Android, and Android hardware doesn't really interest me at all.

Please if you do not mind I am just curious as to what in your expert opinion is the reason that android is crap. And why is it that millions of people are buying it over the other options. One of my friends just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S III she is not a fandroid she just liked it better (Despite me telling her the S IV would be coming out soon).

post #89 of 132

Samsung's Galaxy S3 is made from Polycarbonate.

 

Here is an article about Polycarbonate stopping a bullet.

 

http://www.inthehopper.org/industry-news/polyurethane-stops-bullets-could-work-in-body-armor/

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #90 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Please if you do not mind I am just curious as to what in your expert opinion is the reason that android is crap. And why is it that millions of people are buying it over the other options. One of my friends just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S III she is not a fandroid she just liked it better (Despite me telling her the S IV would be coming out soon).

 

I've never claimed to be an expert, though I am obviously vastly more informed than the average person walking around on the street, and so are probably most people who follow sites such as this one, with a few exceptions here and there, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent.

 

There are so many reasons to give as to why Android is crap, and I'm not going to be here all night listing all of them, so I'll just choose one good reason as to why I personally think that Android is crap.

 

I'm big into audio and audio is terrible on Android. I love using music apps on iOS. There are a lot of nice synths being released all of the time from various companies. On Android there is this morbid latency which makes audio and music unsuitable for any human with ears. When somebody presses a key on a keyboard, they can't wait around for a half an hour before the sound is actually triggered. And when I mean a half an hour, I don't mean a half an hour literally, the delay may only be in the hundredths of milliseconds, but that delay is very noticeable and completely unacceptable. It's not even useable for amateur use, let alone any professional usage. This problem has been written about many places on the internet, so what I am pointing out here shouldn't exactly be a mystery to anybody.

 

As to why millions of people are choosing Android, there aren't really that many options out there, and you do have a lot of the carriers pushing a nauseating assortment of Android phones. I assume that economics plays a role, as does poor taste and general ignorance being some of the contributing factors. And as for your anecdotal evidence, I don't doubt it, maybe they just wanted a larger phone. Everybody has different priorities, and my priorities tell me that I would never in a million years use or choose any Android device.

post #91 of 132
Seriously I am not going to reply to each idiotic post. I will however make mention of KD's assertion that polycarbonate is not plastic.
I a chemist.
Polymers are long chain organic compounds and plastics are polymers.
Polycarbonate is a polymer.
Hence polycarbonate is a plastic.
Sheesh
KD are you all together there?
post #92 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Why am I reading about how Samsung builds its phones on an Apple site?

Probably because this Apple Insider site feels the comment on Samsung's plastic case being superior is funny.

 

I feel that Samsung comment is just so much marketing BS.

post #93 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuri View Post

How about giving our good earth a break ... with so much plastic, looks to me its a step backwards.

Good point, a plastic case just adds to the not recycled trash pile.

 

Then there's the fact that the plastic cases usually pop off when dropped.

 

Also a plastic case can never protect these devices from bending stresses when in one's pocket.

 

What the hell, plastic is simply cheaper to produce,

  but is inferior for protection.

post #94 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

I've never claimed to be an expert, though I am obviously vastly more informed than the average person walking around on the street, and so are probably most people who follow sites such as this one, with a few exceptions here and there, who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent.

 

There are so many reasons to give as to why Android is crap, and I'm not going to be here all night listing all of them, so I'll just choose one good reason as to why I personally think that Android is crap.

 

I'm big into audio and audio is terrible on Android. I love using music apps on iOS. There are a lot of nice synths being released all of the time from various companies. On Android there is this morbid latency which makes audio and music unsuitable for any human with ears. When somebody presses a key on a keyboard, they can't wait around for a half an hour before the sound is actually triggered. And when I mean a half an hour, I don't mean a half an hour literally, the delay may only be in the hundredths of milliseconds, but that delay is very noticeable and completely unacceptable. It's not even useable for amateur use, let alone any professional usage. This problem has been written about many places on the internet, so what I am pointing out here shouldn't exactly be a mystery to anybody.

 

As to why millions of people are choosing Android, there aren't really that many options out there, and you do have a lot of the carriers pushing a nauseating assortment of Android phones. I assume that economics plays a role, as does poor taste and general ignorance being some of the contributing factors. And as for your anecdotal evidence, I don't doubt it, maybe they just wanted a larger phone. Everybody has different priorities, and my priorities tell me that I would never in a million years use or choose any Android device.

That's odd I find no such lag present on my Nexus 4. I love listening to music on my phone I have no problems with the quality and I am almost certain android has more music player apps than IOS. Try a nexus 4 out you will be pleasantly surprised at what a nice piece of tech it is (minus the lack of lte and its crap camera) its a one, if not the best smart phone you can buy

post #95 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They really just need a rubberized rim around it. Make it all soft, like the first Zunes.


Did the irony escape you?

 

post #96 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


Did the irony escape you?



Why are you showing phone cases? I thought that comment referred to the actual body of the competing phones being mentioned.

Apples to apples please.

No pun intended.
post #97 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

That's odd I find no such lag present on my Nexus 4. I love listening to music on my phone I have no problems with the quality and I am almost certain android has more music player apps than IOS. Try a nexus 4 out you will be pleasantly surprised at what a nice piece of tech it is (minus the lack of lte and its crap camera) its a one, if not the best smart phone you can buy

Unfortunately for some, the iPhone is the best smartphone money can buy. It's the best looking, it's fast, it has the best mobile OS on the planet, it's more secure, it has a much better ecosystem, better production values, etc.

And Android is really a second rate OS. It feels like various technical bits and pieces cobbled together to semi work together. The interface lags compared to iPhone and it seems to slow down over time compared to iPhone. Transitions are nowhere near as smooth on any android device.

Android is acceptable when marketed as the cheapo alternative. Not the high end model.

Why pay too much money for a souped up ford fiesta (android) when you can have the legitimate Lamborghini at that price.

The only good reason to go android is when it is cheap or free.

It's like Ross versus Armani.

You go to Ross because it's cheap. The clothes may fit funny but you love them anyway because they are cheap. But when you want quality, you go upscale. Cheaper isn't better, it's just more accessible.

But then there is the premium product that you actually want. That's the iPhone. If money were no object, android wouldn't have a reason to exist.

It's ok Samsung and google make phones running this system. Many people need something cheap.

But please don't go Pretending that it's something premium or that it competes favorably with ios. And then please let's not pretend that crappy plastic is somehow preferable to true high class materials like aluminum and glass.
post #98 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post


Why are you showing phone cases? I thought that comment referred to the actual body of the competing phones being mentioned.

Apples to apples please.

No pun intended.


Because for many people, they were essential for proper functionality and were required to fix a design defect, so considering them an 'optional' case would be disingenuous.

post #99 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah like when did Samsung start caring about "beauty" and "premium feel"?


When they made the Wave S8500 - IMO

 

Aluminium, Gorilla Glass and a small amount of plastic.  The condition of the phone below is as it currently appears after 3 years of continual use.

 

post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post


Unfortunately for some, the iPhone is the best smartphone money can buy. It's the best looking, it's fast, it has the best mobile OS on the planet, it's more secure, it has a much better ecosystem, better production values, etc.

Opinion. Opinion. Subjective. Opinion. Citation needed. Subjective. Opinion.

post #101 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

And then please let's not pretend that crappy plastic is somehow preferable to true high class materials like aluminum and glass.

 

So I take it you thought the iPhone 3G was crap, since it used a polycarbonate housing?  Or is it only crap when someone other than Apple uses it?

post #102 of 132
Practicality is also stuff like GPS and call reception. I think Apple's probably move to plastic acknowledges that setting its own standard is not as easy as it once was.
post #103 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung's Galaxy S3 is made from Polycarbonate.

Here is an article about Polycarbonate stopping a bullet.

http://www.inthehopper.org/industry-news/polyurethane-stops-bullets-could-work-in-body-armor/

So? Polycarbonate has been used in creating bulletproof shields for decades. If this is news to you, you're seriously behind the times.

But what does that have to do with the silly claims being made here about how high quality Samsung's shovelware phone is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Seriously I am not going to reply to each idiotic post. I will however make mention of KD's assertion that polycarbonate is not plastic.
I a chemist.
Polymers are long chain organic compounds and plastics are polymers.
Polycarbonate is a polymer.
Hence polycarbonate is a plastic.
Sheesh
KD are you all together there?

Obviously not. You also missed DaHarder's assertion that polycarbonates are "advanced composites" which is equally laughable.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #104 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Seriously I am not going to reply to each idiotic post. I will however make mention of KD's assertion that polycarbonate is not plastic.

 

I made no such assertion.  Some of you just don't bother to follow a thread, in your haste to respond.

 

AppleInsider wrote:

 

 

Quote:

Even other Android handset makers are making the switch to higher quality elements. HTC's One, for example, uses an aluminum frame, while Nokia has opted to use harder polycarbonate for its Lumia series of phones.

 

All I said was that the S3 also used polycarbonate.  That's it.

post #105 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

That's odd I find no such lag present on my Nexus 4. I love listening to music on my phone I have no problems with the quality and I am almost certain android has more music player apps than IOS. Try a nexus 4 out you will be pleasantly surprised at what a nice piece of tech it is (minus the lack of lte and its crap camera) its a one, if not the best smart phone you can buy

It's not about listening to music. It's about creating music. That's where the problem lies.

post #106 of 132
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Did the irony escape you?

 

The comprehension escaped you. I was indeed talking about the actual case.


Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
Because for many people, they were essential for proper functionality and were required to fix a design defect, so considering them an 'optional' case would be disingenuous.

 

Thanks for playing. You want to lie, go to some other site.


Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post
Opinion. Opinion. Subjective. Opinion. Citation needed. Subjective. Opinion.


Maybe if you had actually read his post at any time, you'd see that he mentioned that.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #107 of 132
Hihihi
post #108 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Thanks for playing. You want to lie, go to some other site.

 

 


I don't want to lie and I didn't.  I could provide proof, but it wouldn't be worth the effort as you would just delete the post as per your SOP.

post #109 of 132
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
I don't want to lie and I didn't.  I could provide proof, but it wouldn't be worth the effort as you would just delete the post as per your SOP.

 

Yep, I sure do delete everything with which I disagree¡

 

You'll want to pay particular attention to the punctuation before you decide to ignore it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #110 of 132

Aluminum is self healinig.  When it get scratched a layer of aluminum oxide (AKA sapphire) forms and protects it from further corrosion.  A good grade of aluminum will not oxidize to white powder.  That type of corrosion is unique to poor alloy control.  It was/is very common in zinc alloys. Chrysler chrome trim was especially bad for this and often fell apart after a couple of years.  The root cause is a mix of dissimilar metals which results in intergranular corrosion due to the galvanic action of the metals.  Aircraft grade aluminum will not corrode in this manner.

 

Of course all bets are off in a highly corrosive atmospehere.  Put  drop of mercury on you iphone and the case will turn to powder very quickly.

 

Anodizing is a chemical process that grows a thicker oxide layer.  Dyes can be addded during the process to add color.  It's a very simple process and can be done at home.

 

Since I already use a case to help protect the screen I have no objection to a plastic case.

post #111 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


So? Polycarbonate has been used in creating bulletproof shields for decades. If this is news to you, you're seriously behind the times.

But what does that have to do with the silly claims being made here about how high quality Samsung's shovelware phone is?
Obviously not. You also missed DaHarder's assertion that polycarbonates are "advanced composites" which is equally laughable.

 

You certainly are missing the point. Do I really have to explain this?

 

Okay. 

 

Since most people on here are claiming that Samsung is making "cheap" "plasticky" phones that are of "low quality" and "crap", I was pointing it out that their "plastic" is not "crap" nor are they "low quality". Since their phones are made out of polycarbonate (the kinds that are used in bullet proof vests). Meaning, they are not "cheap" and "low quality". 

 

Instead they are "high quality" materials. 

 

What the fanboys here are missing is the fact that bias against anything other than Apple. They refuse to acknowledge that fact. 

 

Please dont let blind allegiance get to your head. 

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #112 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I made no such assertion.  Some of you just don't bother to follow a thread, in your haste to respond.


AppleInsider wrote:




All I said was that the S3 also used polycarbonate.  That's it.
I followed the thread it was about 5 posts long after you posted.
I also read the article.
Even Samsung says its made of plastic.
Polycarbonate is a plastic.
So why did you post that its made of polycarbonate again?
To place a doubt or twist in some of the people's mind that polycarbonate is NOT plastic. Most people equate plastic with cheap. I know it's properties and advantages.
No one is saying that its flimsy or damages easily, it doesn't. We are commenting on the asthetics of the device. It's obvious that it does look "cheap", even compared to other handsets made of a similar material. To insult Apple and even attempt to say its on par is riidicolous.
I still call you out on spinning. I simply want you to stop this BS.
I want you to stop making sermons to us.
I, certainly don't need you to impart any knowledge to me.
post #113 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


I followed the thread it was about 5 posts long after you posted.
I also read the article.
Even Samsung says its made of plastic.
Polycarbonate is a plastic.
So why did you post that its made of polycarbonate again?
To place a doubt or twist in some of the people's mind that polycarbonate is NOT plastic. Most people equate plastic with cheap. I know it's properties and advantages.
No one is saying that its flimsy or damages easily, it doesn't. We are commenting on the asthetics of the device. It's obvious that it does look "cheap", even compared to other handsets made of a similar material. To insult Apple and even attempt to say its on par is riidicolous.
I still call you out on spinning. I simply want you to stop this BS.
I want you to stop making sermons to us.
I, certainly don't need you to impart any knowledge to me.

Apple has offered products with polycarbonate cases. They weren't cheap. If/When Apple introduces a lower-priced iPhone using a polycarbonate shell I'll be quite surprised if you describe it as cheap either.


Edited by Gatorguy - 3/6/13 at 12:33pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #114 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

 

So I take it you thought the iPhone 3G was crap, since it used a polycarbonate housing?  Or is it only crap when someone other than Apple uses it?

 

It was a backwards step from the original and was the subject of derision in that regard.

 

In terms of materials.  The capabilities of the phone were great at the time.

 

So let's not be little kids and pretend the only reason someone picks on something is when it's from someone they don't "like."

 

Plastic has its merits.  Cheap, easy to form, etc.  But in keeping with the theme of this thread, it is rather lackluster and not "premium" at all, regardless of the samsung spin.

post #115 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


Because for many people, they were essential for proper functionality and were required to fix a design defect, so considering them an 'optional' case would be disingenuous.

 

And yet the same design works for many more.  My iPhone 4 never used a case.  and I never had any issues.

 

so the cases were rather optional.

 

And the subject was in reference to the premium feel of the phone and how plastic fails in that regard compared to the aluminum and glass combination.

 

Then someone mentioned the idea for a phoen with plastic to make it soft and rubbery. then you put up that pic like Apple already did it.

 

Pretty pathetic failure.

 

Once again, for the reality challenged, he was talking about integrated phone materials. You were talking about a CASE.

 

You were that Sesame Street kid "doing his own thing."

post #116 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple has offered products with polycarbonate cases. They weren't cheap. If/When Apple introduces a lower-priced iPhone using a polycarbonate shell I'll be quite surprised if you describe it as cheap either.

 

 

Tt will be cheap if they do. and the price will probably reflect that.

 

The old white polycarbonate (plastic) macbooks were too.

 

Apple makes nice cheap products and nice high end ones.

 

But this is about Samsung's claim in why they use plastic. 

 

It can look nice, it's cheap, it's easy to form.  but it's not a premium material. 

 

So this has been a long thread that could be summarized as:

 

"OK Samsung.  First point was great for cheapness and ease of manufacturing. But Let's not be ridiculous with this 'premium' talk."

post #117 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

 

You certainly are missing the point. Do I really have to explain this?

 

Okay. 

 

Since most people on here are claiming that Samsung is making "cheap" "plasticky" phones that are of "low quality" and "crap", I was pointing it out that their "plastic" is not "crap" nor are they "low quality". Since their phones are made out of polycarbonate (the kinds that are used in bullet proof vests). Meaning, they are not "cheap" and "low quality". 

 

Instead they are "high quality" materials. 

 

What the fanboys here are missing is the fact that bias against anything other than Apple. They refuse to acknowledge that fact. 

 

Please dont let blind allegiance get to your head. 

 

The only fanboys here are those trolling an Apple enthusiast site with pro Samsung/anti-Apple nonsense like "plastic is better than aluminum and glass."

 

And yes, polycarbonate is plastic, which is "cheap" compared to aluminum and glass.

 

Just a little reality check for you.

 

Good luck with that.

post #118 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I guess you think the iBook was a turd.

 

 

Completely missed his point.

 

This was his original point.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It wouldn't even matter if Samsung's newest phone was wrapped in pure platinum with a solid gold back plate. If you wrap a turd in gold, you'd still be left with a turd, that happened to be wrapped in gold. The turd here is Android, and Android hardware doesn't really interest me at all.

 

 

@ igriv - Read and comprehend please.

 

Don't just fire off some hurt response all random.

 

What he meant was, no matter if Samsung actually did go ahead and use premium materials like Apple does, it would still be doomed to run Android plus Samsungs little touches to it, like badly copied App icons.

 

That is the turd.  And the materials surrounding it is the "polish" if you will.

 

Great. Now I hope that imagery doesn't haunt me all day. LOL

post #119 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I think that we already know that an iDevice is the only thing you would ever consider -- it does not matter if the S4 has a nicer screen (it almost certainly does), a faster processor (it almost certainly does), a better keyboard and voice recognition (its predecessor already does), a better camera (extremely likely), etc, etc. It does not have a half-eaten fruit drawn on it, so you don't want it, without even having seen it. OK, OK, I get it.
But it's only evolutionary and not revolutionary. Instant fail. Oh that argument is only for Apple. Sorry.
post #120 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

And yes, polycarbonate is plastic, which is "cheap" compared to aluminum and glass.

 

I can't believe anyone is arguing over plastic, glass and aluminum.

 

What's the difference in cost?  A few dollars at most?

 

None of them are what is usually considered to be a "premium" material... they're more in the mass "recyclable" category.

 

Try giving your girlfriend an aluminum ring, while telling her that at least it's better than a plastic one.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'