or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › News Corp. to challenge Apple's iPad in education with Amplify Tablet

News Corp. to challenge Apple's iPad in education with Amplify Tablet

post #1 of 103
News Corporation, parent company to Fox News, will enter the education sector this fall with not only a tablet-based curriculum but its own Amplify Tablet, aimed at taking on Apple's iPad in K-12 technology.

November will see Amplify, News Corp.'s nascent education division, rolling out both its own curriculum for existing tablets and a 10-inch, Android-powered tablet for K-12 students. A New York Times piece on the News Corp. tablet says the company will be selling it for between $299 and $349 per unit. Schools will also have the option of purchasing a $99 per year subscription to Amplify curriculum elements for each device.

Entering the education sector will put News Corp. at odds with Apple, a company News Corp. has collaborated with multiple times in the past, though not in the education market. From 99 cent TV show rentals to an ill-fated, iPad-only publication, News Corp. has often been among the first among major media corporations to put significant weight behind initiatives on Apple's devices. The company's Wall Street Journal publication is currently available on iOS' Newsstand app and will likely still be so when the Amplify Tablet launches later this year.

The rise of the tablet as the new face of personal computing has sparked a race among manufacturers to get their devices into the hands of students. Apple has been heavily pushing its industry-leading iPad as a replacement for PCs in education, and the company sold a million units to K-12 schools in one month last year.

Amplify's specs page for the device lists it as "similar to ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL." It packs a 10-inch display, an NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core CPU, and a 5MP auto-focus camera with back-illuminated CMOS sensor. It also runs the "latest Android Jelly Bean OS."

The Amplify Tablet is designed with "blended learning" in mind, a method "that mixes technology with old-fashioned teaching." Initially targeted at middle-school learners, Amplify designed the device so that school systems will be able to provide each student with an Amplify device to take home each night.

When the device launches later this year, Amplify's parent company News Corporation will have split into two separate publicly traded companies. Cable channels such as FX and Fox News, as well as 20th Century Fox and Fox Broadcasting, will come under the entertainment group. Amplify and its tablet will fall under the publishing division, along with newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal and the publisher HarperCollins. The other arms of the publishing group are expected to lend content to Amplify's tablet. Rupert Murdoch will serve as chairman of both the entertainment and publishing divisions.
post #2 of 103
Fox News providing content for your child's K-12 curriculum? Be scared, be very scared.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #3 of 103
Oh thank god! Finally. from a company I can totally put my trust in. Fox news on the home page for the win!!

I hope I can store my voicemails on this device. because I know they will be perfectly safe!

(Ooh! and Bobby M. will be chairman of the whole project. Even better!! YAY!!)
post #4 of 103

The stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. I hope this thing epically, epically bombs, costing news corp as much money as possible. 

post #5 of 103
Fox News tablets in education? Science books won't support text books teaching evolution or climate change. History books will be revised with their biased ultra-conserviative slants. Hopefully Comedy Central will also release a Daily Show/Colbert educational tablet to keep the Fox News tablet in line.
post #6 of 103

Based on previous threads, there is a 99.789 % chance that somebody (most likely a rabid liberal), is going to emerge from under their rock and make a snide comment about Fox News and the right, so I'm preemptively countering that straight away by stating that this tablet would suck equally as much had it been MSNBC that was behind it. All Android tablets suck, it doesn't matter who makes them or who is behind them.

Anybody can release their own Android tablets today. It takes no skill and little effort to do so. All you need to do is to turn to one of the countless Android manufacturers, in this case, it looks like that is ASUS, and simply order up a bunch of tablets from them.

As for challenging the iPad. I predict that this will end up as successful as all of the previous "iPad Killers" and challengers that have emerged these past few years, without a single one being victorious, and with most of them in scrap bins already and long forgotten about.

post #7 of 103
Lets put aside the fact that this is a Fox News company. That is not important. We had iPad 2's distributed to every student in the high school (9th-12th grade) and it was a disaster since it really is not meant at this point in time for students. This tablet is perfect since it gives teachers and administrators complete control of the students tablet to see if they are goofing off or paying attention to the lession. Wish we got these instead of iPads. All kids do on the iPads is play games and surf the web.
post #8 of 103

Haha the Colbert report? I hope your joking. That show is a bunch of garbage nomatter if your a Democrat or Republican.

post #9 of 103

the headline photo on the NYT's article says it all (looks like all Apple)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/business/media/news-corp-has-a-tablet-for-schools.html?_r=1&

post #10 of 103
OK, these overly negative comments I can fully understand.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #11 of 103
McDonald's is making its own tablet so that their customers can order food in BETTER way! As you expected it is going to run on its in-home developed McD'OS. 1smile.gif1smile.gif

PizzaHut is taking license from McD and making another tablet in RoundShpae to emotionally attach customers to their Pizza. 1biggrin.gif1biggrin.gif
post #12 of 103

So if this was an Android tablet initiative by CNN or Comcast everyone here would be ok with it? LOOOOOOL!

post #13 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

OK, these overly negative comments I can fully understand.

I'll keep that in mind the next time that there's an article about Al Gore or some other wacko on the left on this site.

I expect nobody to complain. 

post #14 of 103

Are there alternatives in iOS?

Folks, I don't live in USA and can hardly comment on the real interests of News Corp., so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm more interested in the technical aspects, which seems very elaborate... Is there something similar in the iOS side, either from Apple or third-party?

post #15 of 103

Interesting. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

We'll see if that's also where it's headed. I guess they do have the HarperCollins tie. It will be interesting to see if other publishers are interested in this. I would think that could determine if it has any chance of success. As an educator, I wouldn't want to be tied to only one publisher.

post #16 of 103
You do realize that a far higher number of college graduates are liberals? Right?
The concept of having a hyper biased company provide the curriculum for kids it insanity at its best. This is an interesting political move to taint their minds subtly but early.
post #17 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So if this was an Android tablet initiative by CNN or Comcast everyone here would be ok with it? LOOOOOOL!

NOT!!  Maybe Comcast.  I don't think they are a news organization owned by one very right wing Murdock.

post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'll keep that in mind the next time that there's an article about Al Gore or some other wacko on the left on this site.

I expect nobody to complain. 

Do you really think a unapologetically biased company should be writing children's school books?

post #19 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Do you really think a unapologetically biased company should be writing children's school books?

The question there is, what books does HarperCollins already produce that schools are using and do you believe they are tainted? :)

Btw, I have no idea what the answer is to what HarperCollins produces, just throwing it out there if it's a concern people have.

EDIT: It does raise a question as to how this will be perceived by educators though and thus how well it will be accepted.

post #20 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfoxfire View Post

Lets put aside the fact that this is a Fox News company. That is not important. We had iPad 2's distributed to every student in the high school (9th-12th grade) and it was a disaster since it really is not meant at this point in time for students. This tablet is perfect since it gives teachers and administrators complete control of the students tablet to see if they are goofing off or paying attention to the lession. Wish we got these instead of iPads. All kids do on the iPads is play games and surf the web.

You have obviously not heard of 'Apple Configurator'...free software on the Mac App Store. 1300 iPads in circulation at my school, over half go home with the students every night too. No games, only the Apps and content we choose as staff - and controlled internet browsing if necessary... 18 months and counting, everybody's fine!

post #21 of 103
Quote:

Incredible how you can just pull stuff out of your ass and pretend its fact.

I wonder who you work for?

post #22 of 103
Why AI feels the need to not put this kind of article directly in PO, I'll never know.

Though why users feel the need to still post political comments when the articles haven't been moved there...

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #23 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156340/news-corp-to-challenge-apples-ipad-in-education-with-amplify-tablet#post_2289122"]
That's why most liberals are dumb as crap and extremely ignorant, as they get most of their information from comedy shows.

There are certainly some people who hold dumb views on the right, but don't pretend that liberals are one bit better.

Actually, extensive research demonstrates that liberals are better educated and more intelligent than conservatives. When you look at science knowledge, the difference is even greater.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #24 of 103

Jeez, not another tablet?

Perhaps Steve was correct when he said Web Apps are sweet. With all these different platforms, and the Android forks and all, the only way to let all devices access your content is to design it for a web browser. Apps have their advantages but when there is so much fragmentation, it really wastes a lot of developer time making different versions. Students should be able to access data on a mobile device, Mac, Windows, Linux, Android whatever. Instead they get clueless School District bureaucrats making decisions about technology that lock in a particular platform.

I really like iBooks Author but the files only work on iOS. Educational applications like that should not be used to leverage hardware sales. They should be cross platform using open standards. And that article last week about Arkansas State using iPads mostly for FaceTime. Jobs said they were going to make FaceTime open source. So where is it?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 103
I laughed very hard with the false advertising claim of Amplify designing the first tablet for teaching and learning.
post #26 of 103
Quote:

That's why most liberals are dumb as crap and extremely ignorant, as they get most of their information from comedy shows.

There are certainly some people who hold dumb views on the right, but don't pretend that liberals are one bit better.

Outside of your interest in Apple nothing seems to eek out of your mind worth a crap. Then again you better go reinvent Science if you want to prove all those dumb Liberals were wrong. Ignorance is squarely labeled on your forehead.

post #27 of 103
Good.luck.with.that.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #28 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

You have obviously not heard of 'Apple Configurator'...free software on the Mac App Store. 1300 iPads in circulation at my school, over half go home with the students every night too. No games, only the Apps and content we choose as staff - and controlled internet browsing if necessary... 18 months and counting, everybody's fine!

Of course he knows what he said was crud! This is typical troll M.O. - throw mud everywhere and see what sticks. It's called FUD....
post #29 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I laughed very hard with the false advertising claim of Amplify designing the first tablet for teaching and learning.

I'd be surprised if their application environment was already as fully developed as the promotional video suggests. Looking at that concept though, I don't think there is anything quite as focused on being a full featured LMS (learning management system) available on any other platform so in that respect they may actually be breaking new ground. Looks good on paper, so to speak. We'll see how it pans out once released.

post #30 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why AI feels the need to not put this kind of article directly in PO, I'll never know.

Though why users feel the need to still post political comments when the articles haven't been moved there...

The article is stating a pertinent fact. The political aspects are inevitable, but secondary to reporting the facts.

And even you can't be blind to the obvious political ramifications of a product like this! Of COURSE people are going to make political comments! If Fox and News Corp weren't so blatantly political themselves, it wouldn't even come up.
post #31 of 103
Quote:

We have a school all 4th and 5th graders have one, taking then home daily. Have there been issues? A few, mostly the parents doing stupid things with them (surfing inappropriate sites, etc) when they bring them home. No apps installed that aren't loaded by the school. And they don't even have the full package for the best experience for distributing it.

If your schools philosophy was "run to best buy, grab a few hundred iPads, give them to the kids and we are good" then, yes, you will have issues. If you took even a minimal amount of planning time, you wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

Bingo.
post #32 of 103

So...it's an Android tablet marketed towards education. How innovative?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #33 of 103
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post
And even you can't be blind to the obvious political ramifications of a product like this!

What political ramifications? It's a tablet.

Of COURSE people are going to make political comments! If Fox and News Corp weren't so blatantly political themselves, it wouldn't even come up.

All news outlets are politically aligned. Pointing one out is folly.

post #34 of 103
Quote:

You missed the NYTimes story where FOX sees students using their tablet by playing games and surfing the web. If you think "this" tablet will give teachers and administrators "complete control" of the students tablet, you have nooooo idea about how students learn. 

Whether it was a disaster at your school or not is up to how well it was implemented by your school. It's a bad carpenter who blames his tools.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #35 of 103

You missed the sarcasm tag didn't you . . .

post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What political ramifications? It's a tablet.

All news outlets are politically aligned. Pointing one out is folly.

Boy did Joe's comments fly high over your head. 

It's not the tablet, TS, it's the frickin' content he's talking about. Then you totally missed his adjective, "blatantly", to make your weak response.

post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

You do realize that a far higher number of college graduates are liberals? Right?
The concept of having a hyper biased company provide the curriculum for kids it insanity at its best. This is an interesting political move to taint their minds subtly but early.

And most college professors are liberal, and that explains why most of their student's minds become tainted.

post #38 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Interesting. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

We'll see if that's also where it's headed. I guess they do have the HarperCollins tie. It will be interesting to see if other publishers are interested in this. I would think that could determine if it has any chance of success. As an educator, I wouldn't want to be tied to only one publisher.

Your last sentence says a lot. Where the Apple iPad is open to every book publisher AND non-hard copy publisher, the FOX tablet is a funnel by HarperCollin, FOX, et al to control the media the child consumes. 

post #39 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

November will see Amplify, News Corp.'s nascent education division, rolling out both its own curriculum for existing tablets and a 10-inch, Android-powered tablet for K-12 students. A New York Times piece on the News Corp. tablet says the company will be selling it for between $299 and $349 per unit. Schools will also have the option of purchasing a $99 per year subscription to Amplify curriculum elements for each device.

Mmm...  It is interesting that they chose a November 2013 rollout.  Labor Day is Monday, September 2 -- and school usually starts the next Monday.

This means that the "Amplify Solution" won't be in the school budgets or ready for any major implementation until School Year 2014-2015...

A lot can change...

I watched the video and it looked good!  I like the concept!

Here are some random thoughts:

1. An infrastructure will be required at the School and District levels to support the hardware, software, content and services (WiFi).
  2. Software at the District will need to be modified to interface the Teachers and Students at the Schools
  3. Apps will need to be written for the Tablets to interface the Student, Teacher, Course, Content at the District.
  4. Special Software (District) and Tablet apps (School/Teacher) need to be written to push/gather content to the Students (at School or at home).
  5. Special Training will be required for the District, Teachers, Students and Parents.
  6. Course Content must be developed
  7. Course Content must be approved by the State
  8. Security must be addressed
  9. NEA issues must be addressed... possibly SEIU issues too
  10. What about courses/content not [yet] available under the "Amplify Solution"
  11. The Teachers have to approve/accept this.
  12. The Students have to approve/accept this.
  13. The Parents have to approve/accept this.
  14. How much will the above cost over and above the Tablet/Susbcription costs?
  15. How will it be paid for?

How ya' gonna handle "The Tablet ate my homework?"

BTW, some of this is not a new concept...  We installed a LAN Computer Lab in 1980 that allowed:

1. the Instructor to monitor any Student
  2. the Instructor to demonstrate from his computer to all the others
  3. the Instructor to allow any Student to demonstrate from his computer to all the others

It might be worth reviewing what Fraser Speirs has been doing in this area:

http://speirs.org

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 3/6/13 at 2:10pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #40 of 103
Quote:

And most college professors are liberal, and that explains why most of their student's minds become tainted. open to thinking.

Fixed that for you.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › News Corp. to challenge Apple's iPad in education with Amplify Tablet