or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › US interests, struggles with Apple spark Samsung lobbying push

US interests, struggles with Apple spark Samsung lobbying push

post #1 of 20
Samsung, following its landmark patent infringement loss to chief rival Apple, has more than redoubled its efforts to influence the federal government on a range of issues, including intellectual property laws.

Congress
Source: U.S. House of Representatives

Citing regulatory filings from Samsung, Bloomberg on Thursday showed that the South Korean conglomerate spent six times more on lobbying in 2012 than it did in 2011.

The growth in spending ? from $150,000 in 2011 to $900,000 in 2012 ? coincided with both increasing sales for Samsung smartphones and a ramp up in its legal struggles with Apple. Lobbying expenditures for 2012 topped the company's previous high mark, which was $370,000 in 2008. Since then, revenues from Samsung's U.S. mobile sales have more than doubled from $8.9 billion to $18.5 billion.

Of Samsung's lobbying dollars, $760,000 went to the law firm Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, which as also done work on behalf of AT&T, Lenovo, and Google. Samsung spent the second most among Akin Gump et al's clientele, after Gila River Indian Community. Of the remainder of Samsung's lobbying funds, $120,000 went to its subsidiary Samsung Information Systems America, and another $20,000 went to the firm Aerman, Senterfitt & Eidson.

Samsung's ongoing patent struggles with Apple likely make up a large part of the reasoning behind the increased lobbying spending. Those struggles last year resulted in a $1.05 billion jury verdict against Samsung, though a judge recently vacated roughly 40 percent of that total.

Aside from Apple, Samsung's lobbying efforts touch on virtually every aspect of the South Korean conglomerate's many business ventures. It must defend itself to U.S. regulators against dumping allegations raised against its washing machines by Whirlpool. Its plans to expand its chip production facility in Austin, Texas, must pass regulatory inspection. The company must also defend its own intellectual property rights, having won more than 5,000 U.S. patents since 2006, the most of any company other than IBM.

Compared to other tech giants, though, Samsung's lobbying expenditures are miniscule. Apple, which reduced lobbying spending in 2012, spent $2 million, more than twice Samsung's total. Meanwhile, Google, which recently wrapped up a number of anti-trust investigations with the government, spent $18.22 million in 2012, more than 20 times Samsung.

Samsung in a statement said the increased spending was "a prudent step as part of day-to-day business operations, our growing presence outside of our headquarters country, and our commitment to transparency."
post #2 of 20
If the judges aren't for sale here, at least buy a legislator or two......
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 20

Did it take Samsun so long to realize that you need to give big contributions to candidates? Bribery is the accepted way to get the government to do what you want.  It doesn't matter if you are slipping money to Congress, SCOTUS, POTUS, FCC, DOJ - they all respond well to money and gifts under the table. Money buys judges here, despite what you might think that they are above bribes...

post #4 of 20
They are all for sale. If politicians weren't for sale, there would be no lobbying.
post #5 of 20
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
They are all for sale. If politicians weren't for sale, there would be no lobbying.

Eh, that's a fallacy.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 20
_,|,, you, Samescum, mofo!

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #7 of 20

Crony capitalism is alive and well in America.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #8 of 20
We damn well better not hear of American legislators accepting lobbying bribes from a disreputable foreign company out to steal American technology.
post #9 of 20

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #10 of 20
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple don't look so innocent after all.

No one said they were… Nice strawman.

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Did it take Samsun so long to realize that you need to give big contributions to candidates? Bribery is the accepted way to get the government to do what you want.  It doesn't matter if you are slipping money to Congress, SCOTUS, POTUS, FCC, DOJ - they all respond well to money and gifts under the table. Money buys judges here, despite what you might think that they are above bribes...

You do realize that this is exactly how it works in Korea as well, too?  It's just that here in the USA we pretend it doesn't exist or that it's legitimate in some way (lobbying and "campaign finance" instead of bribery and kickbacks).

Samsung knows this game well and has profited handsomely from it's own local grafts.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If the judges aren't for sale here, at least buy a legislator or two......

Ever heard of Patent Law Treaties Implementation Act of 2012, which strongly favors Apple, introduced by Patrick Leahy right before the trial last August and signed into law by Obama in December?

Who can blame Samsung?  Who knows what Al Gore or any other Apple's allies in DC are working on next?

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-06/samsung-s-patent-spat-with-apple-spurs-u-s-lobbying-push.html

Apple don't look so innocent after all.

All major companies lobby.  If Apple didn't it would not be in their best interest.  The fact that a foreign company is spending so much trying to influence laws in the U.S. is what concerns me.  Not to mention they are a company that has proven they want free access to any IP they can steal.  This way they can influence our government to make laws that make it easier for them to do so at the expense of American companies.  

post #14 of 20

this appleinsider comment system is annoying..  disqus.com

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

All major companies lobby.  If Apple didn't it would not be in their best interest.  The fact that a foreign company is spending so much trying to influence laws in the U.S. is what concerns me.  

The fact that any company - foreign or domestic - can influence laws in the U.S. to the degree they do is what concerns me.

post #16 of 20
Translation: "We want free reign to rip off anybody we want, but we don't want to share any of our standards-essential IP."
post #17 of 20
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post
disqus.com

Is infinitely worse.

post #18 of 20
Quote:

Ever heard of Patent Law Treaties Implementation Act of 2012, which strongly favors Apple, introduced by Patrick Leahy right before the trial last August and signed into law by Obama in December?

Who can blame Samsung?  Who knows what Al Gore or any other Apple's allies in DC are working on next?

Well, one could consider that Apple spends far less on lobbying than any other comparable company. And much of that lobbying involves social issues rather than attempts to obtain special treatment. Apple does VERY little in the way of attempting to obtain favorable treatment - and there's no evidence that they did so in the case you cited.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdboy View Post

We damn well better not hear of American legislators accepting lobbying bribes from a disreputable foreign company out to steal American technology.

They know very well how to hide their bribes.

post #20 of 20
Quote:

this appleinsider comment system is annoying..  disqus.com

That's disqusting!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › US interests, struggles with Apple spark Samsung lobbying push