or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test - Page 4

post #121 of 137
Sounds like both apps have issues: Here in Colorado my experience has been that Apple maps still show quite a few incorrect locations. Worst here for me was Mt Vernon Country Club. Apple maps location is over a mile off (on a completely different road) and it's in a mountainous area where you would be seriously lost (I recognized the turn-off from a past trip, my in-laws (also using Apple apps) arrived 30 minutes later. What really irks me is that this was almost 3 weeks ago. We used the reporting tool within the app, yet nothing has changed. Last night we went to a restaurant in Cherry Creek (major Denver neighborhood) and the location was off by half a block around the corner). Sorry, but I'm switching back to Google maps for the time being.
post #122 of 137
Apple maps is still horrible in Hong Kong. Absolutely horrible. In a city this size, with three Apple stores, that's inexcusable.

It's not just POI data which is terrible, either. Finding a simple address is next to impossible.

First of all, addresses here are almost exclusively listed by building name, street, and district. Address numbers are very commonly listed as a range.

For instance, my address (names and numbers changed) might be Flat 2B, 3/F, Woo Fung House, 156-162 Tin Hung Street, Sham Shui Po.

I guarantee you entering an address like that or cutting and pasting it will fail completely.

Apple Maps includes no building name data, unless that building is a POI, and very few are. So it has to go by number. Putting in a range of numbers fails, so you have to manually edit your link and change "158-162" to just 158. Most streets don't have any address data at all, so even that won't help. Many streets, and all districts are translated into Mandarin, not Cantonese, so even a simple search for "Sham Shui Po" fails, since apple lists it as "shun Sui bu" or something like that.

Google maps has always worked great here, and still does.
Edited by tonton - 3/10/13 at 4:43pm
post #123 of 137

I don't live in Silicon Valley or anywhere remotely close to it.  I've yet to have any issue with Apple Maps.

 

Disaster my ass.

post #124 of 137
Yeah..it's a real last laugh here in New York..when you search for a local bakery and it takes you all the way upstate. Not to mention clicking on a Metro station in NYC tells you nothing about which trains run through it!

Still using Google Maps...just for these reasons alone!!!
post #125 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewvelvet View Post

Yeah..it's a real last laugh here in New York..when you search for a local bakery and it takes you all the way upstate. Not to mention clicking on a Metro station in NYC tells you nothing about which trains run through it!

Still using Google Maps...just for these reasons alone!!!

You don't use it because you know exactly where your local bakery is but it shows you a different location?

So you are doing it to spite Apple Maps?

Guess you really showed that app, right?

post #126 of 137
@Chris_CA How else than by checking it against your known environment are you going to determine its reliability?
post #127 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

 

Well, good that Apple would never do something like that... 1wink.gif

 

 


That seems like a silly reference. With Windows it's the BSOD and on a Mac it's the "you need to restart your computer" overlay. In both cases the most common cause is a piece of added hardware causing problems. The last time I saw the Mac equivalent was when I wanted a left handed mouse. I couldn't find a general purpose one so I bought a Razer, not knowing about their driver issues. The last time I saw it happen on a Windows machine, it was due to bad ram.

post #128 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by toes View Post

@Chris_CA How else than by checking it against your known environment are you going to determine its reliability?

I give up. How?

But blewvelvet stated he simply didn't use it for two reason: his bakery is wrong and he can't see train times.

post #129 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You don't use it because you know exactly where your local bakery is but it shows you a different location?

So you are doing it to spite Apple Maps?

Guess you really showed that app, right?

 

He said he searched for a local bakery and the location it returned was upstate. I don't think one needs to know where the bakery actually is to know that the map is wrong.

post #130 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

He said he searched for a local bakery and the location it returned was upstate. I don't think one needs to know where the bakery actually is to know that the map is wrong.

The map is wrong for the bakery so dont' use it for anything?

Okay. Sure hope he's not using Google maps either...

post #131 of 137
@Chris_CA do you have anything useful to contribute to the conversation or are you merely here to troll?
post #132 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by toes View Post

@Chris_CA do you have anything useful to contribute to the conversation or are you merely here to troll?

No one is trolling except you & blewvelvet...

 

 

Quote:
blewvelvet wrote;
search for a local bakery and it takes you all the way upstate. Not to mention clicking on a Metro station in NYC tells you nothing about which trains run through it!

Still using Google Maps...just for these reasons alone!!!

THIS is a troll statement.


Edited by Chris_CA - 3/15/13 at 10:03pm
post #133 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post




Apple Maps Google Maps Open Street Map


People are always going to say you are lying if you claim Apple Maps is bad unless you have proof. Even then they will say, sure, you can cherry pick remote regions that are not yet served and you are just a troll. This is my home town. I want Apple to be quite a bit better than they are now because it is unusable in its current state. Open Street Map is by far the best of the three.

Was in UK and then continental Europe 2 weeks ago. Apple Maps, sorry to say, was useless. In most North American cities I visit, I'm fine with it.
post #134 of 137

Personal update on maps quality

 

i had to visit family in the southern calif area (nightmare driving mess)

I had both my garmin on the windshield and my iphone beside me

 

iphone maps was PERFECT not a glitch

 

after trying the mess of menu input into my garmin  i just used it to show headsup display for streets around me

 

used siri and contracts and wow what a great experience

 

accurate, quick with re-routing (happened alot due to such a mess contraction)

 

a dream

 

siri-----"take me to the santa monica pier".....bingo it was done

 

so all that FUDD was just that, its a great app now i will use it and trust it more often

 

i love the integration of yelp, helps with resturant locations without having to use yelp separately

 

my only beef....apple needs to allow repeat of the instructions say by tapping the top of the maps direction

 

wonderful   haven't used google maps since maps came out

 

need a button to initiate siri and a way to repeat last instruction

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #135 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Personal update on maps quality

 

[...]

 

so all that FUDD was just that, its a great app now i will use it and trust it more often

 

Where YOU are. One can't generalize a similar experience everywhere else just because it works well in a specific area.

 

I'm not saying Maps is bad, just that the conclusion is flawed. It's reasonable to expect that improvements will occur region-by-region.

post #136 of 137

When I traveled throughout the south - Texas <-> Tennessee - Apple Maps did great. In Denver, its not so good. 

post #137 of 137

Just migrated my eBay and PayPal accounts away from Gmail.  Slowly weaning off their stuff.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test