or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test - Page 3

post #81 of 137
I use Apple's Maps as a resource to verify other nav apps. I have been given bad directions by several nav apps & have used Apple's Maps app to get me un-lost & to my destination many times. I also use it to verify dubious directions & I rely on it for more accurate travel times. I don't use Maps as my regular nav app because the features are too basic & I prefer to have my map data onboard. All nav apps make dubious choices in route planning & I have found that they also give spurious directions enroute, such as driving on an interstate & out of the blue saying to make a left turn onto the street below. True, Apple's new 3-D flyover tech proved to be still in alpha, but that doesn't affect the directions. A major issue with Maps' POI is the rusult of bad data from Yelp. The clear indicator is any POI with a Yelp rating. If there is a dupe or a misplaced pointer (location) it probably from Yelp's data

Cheers !
Cheers !
Reply
Cheers !
Reply
post #82 of 137
I've never once needed Google Maps except for transit... and even then, it's much easier for me to find the start end point in Apple Maps and then hit Apple's transit icon to launch Google Maps and see the schedule.
post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's nice. There are places where Apple Maps isn't perfect. There are also places where Google Maps isn't perfect. You haven't listed any of those.

In the end, it's quite simple:

Apple Maps has X mistakes.
Google Maps has Y mistakes.

Unless you can prove that X > Y, your repeated claims that Apple Maps is inferior is nothing more than FUD. So where's your evidence?

It's funny how every published report says that Apple Maps is at least as good (often better) than Google Maps, but you never seem to pay any attention. You always come back to your one example. Why is that?

I think you should balance your demand for evidence by providing some of your own. Prove to me that Apple Maps has fewer errors than Google Maps. The burden of proof rests on you anyway since something new must be proven against the long-standing benchmark. For emphasis, we're talking about errors, so articles like this, which are about usability, are not proof of your point.
post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


I think you should balance your demand for evidence by providing some of your own. Prove to me that Apple Maps has fewer errors than Google Maps. The burden of proof rests on you anyway since something new must be proven against the long-standing benchmark. For emphasis, we're talking about errors, so articles like this, which are about usability, are not proof of your point.

 

He didn't claim that. He claimed there's no objective evidence that Google Maps is better, and there isn't. And no, Google Maps does not get a pass because it's been around longer. Being around longer might just mean you've had more time to become outdated.

 

The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you. But, hey, it's "open" propaganda, right?

post #85 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


I think you should balance your demand for evidence by providing some of your own. Prove to me that Apple Maps has fewer errors than Google Maps. The burden of proof rests on you anyway since something new must be proven against the long-standing benchmark. For emphasis, we're talking about errors, so articles like this, which are about usability, are not proof of your point.

 

He didn't claim that. He claimed there's no objective evidence that Google Maps is better, and there isn't. And no, Google Maps does not get a pass because it's been around longer. Being around longer might just mean you've had more time to become outdated.

 

The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you. But, hey, it's "open" propaganda, right?

Apple Maps are shit in almost every area that Google Maps, Nokia Maps, Yahoo Maps, Open Street Map, Map Quest serve and are far inferior in almost every metric so what do you not understand about better POI and higher resolution imagery? Apple Maps is inferior on every level.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #86 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

[...] Unless you can prove that X > Y, your repeated claims that Apple Maps is inferior is nothing more than FUD. So where's your evidence?

 

Yeah, all these people are just Chicken Littles. People have nothing better to do than make up bullshit and post it on forums because... um, because, uh, what exactly would be their motivation to do that again? What's the payoff for doing that?

 

So, according to you, unless someone can comb 100% of the data across the entire planet and quantifiably prove a higher fault rate, it's a lie, huh? You can spend your life with your head buried in the sand (or wherever you've go it stuck) if you choose, but the rest of us don't need third-degree burns to recognize fire.

post #87 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

He didn't claim that. He claimed there's no objective evidence that Google Maps is better, and there isn't. And no, Google Maps does not get a pass because it's been around longer. Being around longer might just mean you've had more time to become outdated.

The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you. But, hey, it's "open" propaganda, right?

He did claim that. He asserted that it was a lie to claim that Apple Maps had more errors than Google Maps without evidence, implying that Google should have to prove its worth against the Apple benchmark. In fact Google is the benchmark for mobile mapping, a position it enjoys for having been built out for such a long time. Being the benchmark doesn't mean it has no errors; it just means it's the best example of its type until unseated by a competitor. That competitor is Apple. I asked for evidence that Apple has unseated Google as the best example of mobile mapping in terms of data accuracy.
post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

[...] The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you.

 

You have GOT to be shittin' me. You really believe that? REALLY?! The THOUSANDS of people sharing their personal A-B comparisons are all Google shills? I wish I'd known that earlier. I haven't been getting my checks.

 

Seriously dude, you need more tinfoil in your hat.

post #89 of 137
After almost six months Maps has still the same bugs and two days ago I forgot about the bug with bookmarks (which makes you just go in circle...) and it was sending me back to Mountain View when I had to go to Cupertino from the center of San Jose (which I don't know well).
And the search too is almost useless.
But I heard from a friend at Apple they are working hard on it.
Will see...
post #90 of 137
Apple Maps works nicely in Montreal QC, and I like its UI better than the old Google Maps.

It really should feature public transit directions though.
post #91 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Ever thought why they did that?
Perhaps being surrounded with pro-US enemies armed to the teeth, ready to destroy your country and kill your loved ones. I think throwing trash is minor, don't you? I bet you never did that ??????????

Nope we never did...
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

With ya there, use my Waze daily, both directions, to and from work.  And then some... 

BEcause if WAZE is incorrect/incomplete, it gets fixed by users as soon (usually within a day or two) as the user finds it.

post #93 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Nope we never did...
Bullshit.
post #94 of 137
There's no doubt that Apple Maps is fast becoming the leading map software, if not already. In terms of interface, it is second to none, and the few cosmetic glitches that were blown out of proportion when it launched, are the only things that stopped it from instantly being the #1 map app. What Apple has done with Maps is show how mapping, turn-by-turn, and voice can really be used well. Something that Google purposely held back from iOS in order to make Android appear superior, hence the need to sever ties with Google. Apple has shown, however, that they can take on those who have been doing maps for years, and give them a lesson. Give Apple maps a go - you'll never go back to Google once you used Maps.
post #95 of 137

This is a great story for a few reasons.  Obviously, it challenges the current meme that Apple can't even tie its shoes. I mean, the best-executing company on the planet must be doing _everything_ wrong, right?  

 

I, for one, am glad to see this article. Not because it proves something unrealistic - that Apple Maps is already better than Google Maps - but because it simply demonstrates on public platform that Apple Maps isn't an unmitigated disaster.

 

Perspective:

 

Google Maps was born as consumer product on February 8, 2005. That's 8 years ago. Shouldn't we expect it to be somewhat "better" _overall_ than Apple Maps? It's had a 7.5 year head start. Besides, doesn't anyone recall the criticisms and jokes about Google Maps when it launched?

 

Apple Maps was born as a consumer product on September 19, 2012. I've used it fairly heavily in Colorado and have experienced only _minor_ glitches. But whether an Apple Maps user has had a great time or a horrible time, Apple Maps is so new that some errors should be expected.  This is not an app that applies filters to photographs, critics, this is an app that has to map the entire planet.

post #96 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I think you should balance your demand for evidence by providing some of your own. Prove to me that Apple Maps has fewer errors than Google Maps. The burden of proof rests on you anyway since something new must be proven against the long-standing benchmark. For emphasis, we're talking about errors, so articles like this, which are about usability, are not proof of your point.

Except for one thing. I never made a claim about accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that all the claims being made by Apple haters are not founded in evidence. There have been a number of reports where journalists tried to compare them side-by-side and Apple has done as well as Google or better in all of the ones I've seen. However, I'd be the first to admit that there has never been a comprehensive, global comparison.

The fact is that NO ONE has shown Apple Maps to be inferior in spite of all the whining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple Maps are shit in almost every area that Google Maps, Nokia Maps, Yahoo Maps, Open Street Map, Map Quest serve and are far inferior in almost every metric so what do you not understand about better POI and higher resolution imagery? Apple Maps is inferior on every level.

Every metric? How about the one that everyone is complaining about - accuracy.

Let me explain it again:
Apple Maps has X errors.
Google Maps has Y errors.
Nokia Maps has Z errors.
And so on

Since you claim that all these mapping solutions are better than Apple Maps, you must have evidence that X > Y, X > Z and so on. So where is the evidence?

Hint: evidence is not the plural of anecdote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

So, according to you, unless someone can comb 100% of the data across the entire planet and quantifiably prove a higher fault rate, it's a lie, huh? You can spend your life with your head buried in the sand (or wherever you've go it stuck) if you choose, but the rest of us don't need third-degree burns to recognize fire.

Where did I say that? I said that if you're going to make a claim, you need to have evidence to back it up. Simply pulling a story out of your butt does not make it true. So where's the evidence to back up your claim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Yeah, all these people are just Chicken Littles. People have nothing better to do than make up bullshit and post it on forums because... um, because, uh, what exactly would be their motivation to do that again? What's the payoff for doing that?

That's a great question. I've been participating in discussions involving Apple for 2 decades now. At one time, it was all the Windows shills spending countless hours making up lies and posting drivel online. Then it was the Real Audio shills. Then the Nokia shills. Then the Samsung shills. Now the Google shills.

It's perfectly understandable to want to spend time talking about a product that you use and like. People like to talk about things that they use and enjoy. But I have never been able to figure out the motivation that causes people to spend hours on a site dedicated to a product that they don't use, don't know anything about, and insist that they would never use. Then they spread FUD and outright lies to put down the people who like something different than them.

I don't have an explanation for why people would do that. I certainly wouldn't consider spending time on an Android forum. Or a BMW forum (I don't particularly like BMWs). Or a McDonald's forum. So why are you and the others so keen to spend so many hours on Apple forums attacking Apple?

The only hypothesis I've been able to come up with is some kind of mental illness - probably related to narcissistic personality disorder. You simply can't stand the thought that someone would choose and prefer a product different than the one you use.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #97 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's perfectly understandable to want to spend time talking about a product that you use and like. People like to talk about things that they use and enjoy. But I have never been able to figure out the motivation that causes people to spend hours on a site dedicated to a product that they don't use, don't know anything about, and insist that they would never use. Then they spread FUD and outright lies to put down the people who like something different than them.

I don't have an explanation for why people would do that. I certainly wouldn't consider spending time on an Android forum. Or a BMW forum (I don't particularly like BMWs). Or a McDonald's forum. So why are you and the others so keen to spend so many hours on Apple forums attacking Apple?

It surely couldn't have anything to do with the plethora of Android, Google, Microsoft and Samsung articles and references at AI, sometimes with no direct association with Apple or any of their products. 

(Samsung-insider anyone?)

...nah, couldn't be that.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #98 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It surely couldn't have anything to do with the plethora of Android, Google, Microsoft and Samsung articles and references at AI, sometimes with no direct association with Apple or any of their products. 
(Samsung-insider anyone?)
...nah, couldn't be that.

Nope. It happens on every forum about Apple products - even if Samsung and Google are never mentioned. Same as back in the 90s when every Apple forum was flooded with Apple haters spreading lies and FUD.

Besides, if you didn't camp out at this site all the time, how would you even know that there were articles about Android, etc? Obviously, you're reading the site before you even know what's there. So please explain why you do that.

I'll amend my earlier comments. The best hypothesis I've come up with is that all the Apple haters suffer from some mental illness related to narcissistic personality disorder. However, there's another explanation - that they're paid to do so by Google, Samsung, etc.

So which one is your excuse?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #99 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Nope. It happens on every forum about Apple products - even if Samsung and Google are never mentioned. Same as back in the 90s when every Apple forum was flooded with Apple haters spreading lies and FUD.

Besides, if you didn't camp out at this site all the time, how would you even know that there were articles about Android, etc? Obviously, you're reading the site before you even know what's there. So please explain why you do that.

I'll amend my earlier comments. The best hypothesis I've come up with is that all the Apple haters suffer from some mental illness related to narcissistic personality disorder. However, there's another explanation - that they're paid to do so by Google, Samsung, etc.

So which one is your excuse?

None of the above. I visit here for much the same reason as you. I'm truly intrigued by Apple and it business, the direction mobile technology is taking us, how the other tech players fit the picture, and to enjoy an exchange of ideas and outlooks with other respectful and thoughtful forum members.

 

At least I guess we come here for the same reasons. I can't imagine you only hang out to belittle others, sling insults, make silly shill claims and generally just act like you're the smartest guy in the room.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #100 of 137
I've noticed since day one that Apple Maps gave better directions. It''s the first navigation program I've ever used that actually directed me to take the normal route I use driving to my house, which is a faster route than the ones Google and other nav providers give. And I don't live in California either.

Also, I use Waze all the time for just driving around and it is great for that - but for directions Apple Maps do a much better job finding routes (or even finding things in general).
Edited by kgelner01 - 3/8/13 at 7:42am
post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

None of the above. I visit here for much the same reason as you. I'm truly intrigued by Apple and it business, the direction mobile technology is taking us, how the other tech players fit the picture, and to enjoy an exchange of ideas and outlooks with other respectful and thoughtful forum members.

I call BS. You spend all of your time spreading FUD about Apple and bragging about how much better Android and Samsung are. You nit-pick at every little thing Apple does and are the chief apologist for Google's incessant IP violations and Samsung's obvious copying of Apple.

If you're truly intrigued by Apple, it's simply a matter of wanting to understand better how to copy them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


He did claim that. He asserted that it was a lie to claim that Apple Maps had more errors than Google Maps without evidence, implying that Google should have to prove its worth against the Apple benchmark. In fact Google is the benchmark for mobile mapping, a position it enjoys for having been built out for such a long time. Being the benchmark doesn't mean it has no errors; it just means it's the best example of its type until unseated by a competitor. That competitor is Apple. I asked for evidence that Apple has unseated Google as the best example of mobile mapping in terms of data accuracy.

 

Ok, Google can't find Denver's main airport, Apple can:

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kigiphoto/8269178965/in/photostream

 

True of the mobile client AND Google Maps on the desktop.

 

People just think Google is more accurate because they have spent years learning to ignore the holes.  In reality Google is riddled with as many, if not more, errors than Apple Maps had at launch!

post #103 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I call BS. You spend all of your time spreading FUD about Apple and bragging about how much better Android and Samsung are. You nit-pick at every little thing Apple does and are the chief apologist for Google's incessant IP violations and Samsung's obvious copying of Apple.

If you're truly intrigued by Apple, it's simply a matter of wanting to understand better how to copy them.

There you are with the dishonesty again JR.

 

Find where I've nit-picked any decisions by Apple, or where I've ever voiced support for Samsung's obvious copy efforts. I'm just not a blind hater of anything not-Apple. This is just more stuff you make up when you're backed up to a wall to distract from your own misinformation efforts. I've not seen anyone else here cling more tenaciously to a dismissed claim or talking point than you.

 

Just an opinion, but I believe your biggest issue with me is the number of times I've shown your claims to be either very questionable or flat-out wrong, and the dearth of opportunities for you to do the same with mine. In a nutshell I think you've gotten your feelings hurt and react by lashing out with insults and accusations. I'm sure your know the proper reaction is to discuss the merits of an issue in a logical intelligent manner.

 

Read my sig. . . It's your own words sir. Take them to heart and the forum will be more pleasant for everyone.


Edited by Gatorguy - 3/8/13 at 8:18am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #104 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelner01 View Post

I've noticed since day one that Apple Maps gave better directions. It''s the first navigation program I've ever used that actually directed me to take the normal route I use driving to my house, which is a faster route than the ones Google and other nav providers give. And I don't live in California either.

Also, I use Waze all the time for just driving around and it is great for that - but for directions Apple Maps do a much better job finding routes (or even finding things in general).

^^THIS^^.

Right from the beginning, Apple Maps was vastly superior to Google for calculating routes that you'd actually take. I'm nowhere near California either, and around here, the Apple maps are much more accurate.
post #105 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've heard numerous times that Apple uses Open Street Map for data, then why the hell don't they use it? It is clearly an excellent resource in my area. Also I could post plenty of other comparisons throughout that region and neighboring countries. What is wrong with wanting Apple to improve their maps in my area? I want people who come to our town as a vacation or retirement destination to be able to find the hospital, the gas station, the banks or the language school, etc.

 

They probably want to have some checks on Open Maps accuracy, such as the changes made to Olympic Stadiums in London, coming from IP addresses in India which were registered to Google.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #106 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post


He did claim that. He asserted that it was a lie to claim that Apple Maps had more errors than Google Maps without evidence, implying that Google should have to prove its worth against the Apple benchmark. In fact Google is the benchmark for mobile mapping, a position it enjoys for having been built out for such a long time. Being the benchmark doesn't mean it has no errors; it just means it's the best example of its type until unseated by a competitor. That competitor is Apple. I asked for evidence that Apple has unseated Google as the best example of mobile mapping in terms of data accuracy.

 

So why isn't Nokia Maps the benchmark, given that they were around before Google's mobile offering, unless you want to include the Java based versions for feature phones.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

You have GOT to be shittin' me. You really believe that? REALLY?! The THOUSANDS of people sharing their personal A-B comparisons are all Google shills? I wish I'd known that earlier. I haven't been getting my checks.

 

Seriously dude, you need more tinfoil in your hat.

 

Google Maps are sh*t compared to Apple Maps, here's proof and from more than 20 miles away from Cupertino.

 

700

 

Like bushwalking?

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #108 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

They probably want to have some checks on Open Maps accuracy, such as the changes made to Olympic Stadiums in London, coming from IP addresses in India which were registered to Google.

What are they going to check it against, Google Maps?

 

Apple Maps has two streets for the entire city, neither of them named and both in the wrong place. Open Street Map has every street in the city, probably a couple hundred at least, plus dozens of POI, So which is worse? A potential error or two or the complete absence of any data whatsoever?

 

If they need to check every data point in Open Street Map before using it, there is no reason to even consider a user editable map platform in the first place. That is what the report an error feature is for, which I submitted but it has not been fixed. Funny because I submitted another error where the Apple store was in the wrong place and they fixed that right away.


Edited by mstone - 3/8/13 at 3:21pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #109 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

[...] the Apple haters suffer from some mental illness related to narcissistic personality disorder.

 

Not speaking for anyone else, but please indulge me and consider this position: I'm not an Apple hater. I'm not an Apple lover. I'm an Apple USER. Like you and everyone else, I paid a fairly hefty premium to procure those tools. As such, I have very high expectations of the supplier. Just like paying a prestigious lawyer more than the guy advertising on the bus bench, or buying a Mercedes instead of a Honda, my expectation is that the experience will be better than "acceptable."

 

I prefer the Apple ecosystem enough to not go back to using Windows, but that doesn't mean I owe Apple undying loyalty and affection. I think if they're going to position themselves as a "premium" product supplier, it's reasonable for us to expect a very high standard of quality control.

 

When I complain about an Apple product or policy, or express appreciation for what I perceive to be a positive step by an Apple competitor, it doesn't mean I hate Apple. It means I expect them to live up to their own advertising. I think it's reasonable for those of us who pay for the product to hold Apple's feet to the fire when they let us down. My clients certainly hold me accountable for the quality of my work, and I hold my lawyer, accountant, building contractor and parts supplier accountable for their work. Apple is just another supplier, and constructive criticism SHOULD benefit everyone.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

[...] However, there's another explanation - that they're paid to do so by Google, Samsung, etc.

 

C'mon. How? Do you honestly think the huge population reporting map issues are getting paid to make it up? Of course not. I'm sure that some people are bandwagon jumpers, but the vast majority are people simply saying "I have X problem with Apple Maps and I don't have that particular problem with Google Maps." The only way for someone to be bothered by that is for them to have their own sense of identity tied up in Apple's reputation.

post #110 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google Maps are sh*t compared to Apple Maps, here's proof and from more than 20 miles away from Cupertino. [...]

 

Sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean my comment to address the quality of Apple or Google maps at all. I was simply responding to the suggestion that people who report problems with Apple Maps are paid Google operatives, which is right up there with JFK and 9/11 on the conspiracy theory scale.

post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google Maps are sh*t compared to Apple Maps, here's proof and from more than 20 miles away from Cupertino.

 

 

700

 

700

 

 

So what happeded to Tinderry Ave in Apple Maps? Also notice that Google has three parks labeled and although the area is green in Apple Maps apparently they don't know the names of those parks.

 

Just because your new house shows up as a vacant lot is nothing too serious. Next flyover the ariel photography will be updated in Google Maps. And, man, those homes are close together, even by California standards. I bet you can hear your neighbor snoring.


Edited by mstone - 3/8/13 at 4:49pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #112 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It doesn't occur to anyone at all that "testing" these apps only in the USA, and only in southern California, within a stones throw of the headquarters of the companies in question is not really a test at all?  1rolleyes.gif

 

Tom Tom has been providing GPS mapping directions for a long time in a lot of different countries. I don't recall people complaining its directions were bad. Apple's maps are complicated in that it is taking data from a variety of sources and over laying it on top of each other. In places where Tom Tom has good data, Apple has just as good data. In Michigan I found driving directions to be excellent. Better in fact then Google's App, which wouldn't auto correct well. 

 

When the App came out, Fly-Over rendering , Point of Interest Data, and directions in some select areas is what was mostly questioned. I for one think Apple needs to buy a Point of Interest data company so that it can take the correct process in house. Yelp is probably the number one reason the Map has issues (at least in North America). 

 

Reviews of Apple's Map App in China places it above Google's offerings. 

 

PS:

 

In Ann Arbor Michigan, a stone throw from Google's adsence headquarters, Apple's Maps has performed much better in side by side comparisons on two iPhones running Google's Map App and Apple's. Apple's App renders better, is prettier, gives better turn by turn directions (Google forgot to tell me to turn twice), and auto corrects better. 

post #113 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

<*Sigh*> Seriously? The test was in one of the most widely documented/cartographed areas of the world that also just happens to be APPLE'S OWN BACK YARD. You don't think that colors the results? Honestly?

Further, for every person that wrote, "It still doesn't work in my area" there was one who wrote, "It works fine here, too."

Finally, why is it so difficult for you to believe that perhaps there are areas of the country... continent... PLANET that may not be well served by Apple maps? Fer crissake, it's barely out of diapers. OF COURSE it's gonna have holes.

Are you being serious?

The region in which the test was conducted was the "backyard" of all three companies; Apple, Google and Waze.
post #114 of 137
I have used both as well. For user interface, I prefer iOS because it is the more familiar interface. I don't like that selecting transit ends up putting you in a Google search like screen for downloading a different application. The search function for iOS maps is not as good as Google. If I can't find it in iOS maps, I can almost always find it in Google. The voice synthesis on iOS is not nearly as good as Google. The rerouting is good, but I could use a pause function in either. Sometimes, I decide to get off the highway and go take care of nature or get something to eat or check out an attraction. The constant rerouting is annoying and I can't stop it easily. I can end and then research later. I have yet to find a way to end navigation with iOS maps using my bluetooth ear piece. Google maps new interface is not as intuitive and takes more touches to get to routing than I would like. Also, Google maps is not readily available for the iPad. I use both devices for mapping things. I hope Apple is reading comments and working on some further upgrades. They are needed.

Paul Menig

Reply

Paul Menig

Reply
post #115 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

When I complain about an Apple product or policy, or express appreciation for what I perceive to be a positive step by an Apple competitor, it doesn't mean I hate Apple. It means I expect them to live up to their own advertising. 

 

Goose meet gander.

 

 

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #116 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So what happeded to Tinderry Ave in Apple Maps? Also notice that Google has three parks labeled and although the area is green in Apple Maps.

 

Using your iOS device you can easily test this claim, zoom in until the names appear, anyway I'm off for a two hour drive to St Ives if I can figure out which of the FOUR Longhurst Avenues I should take (There is only one.), I hope the traffic isn't too bad as I have to cross an entire city, or then again, maybe I should walk the few hundred yards Apple advises.

 

btw one of the parks is gone, replaced by new housing blocks.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean my comment to address the quality of Apple or Google maps at all. I was simply responding to the suggestion that people who report problems with Apple Maps are paid Google operatives, which is right up there with JFK and 9/11 on the conspiracy theory scale.

 

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tag.

 

As in:-

 

a) find mistake from media reports

b) exploit mistake by listing personal example of how they are/were affected.

c) base entire position around exploited mistake.

 

Modus operandi of the astroturfer.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #118 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So what happened to Tinderry Ave in Apple Maps? Also notice that Google has three parks labeled and although the area is green in Apple Maps.

 

Using your iOS device you can easily test this claim, zoom in until the names appear, anyway I'm off for a two hour drive to St Ives if I can figure out which of the FOUR Longhurst Avenues I should take (There is only one.), I hope the traffic isn't too bad as I have to cross an entire city, or then again, maybe I should walk the few hundred yards Apple advises.

 

btw one of the parks is gone, replaced by new housing blocks.

On my iPhone 5 the Tinderry name does not appear no matter how far I zoom in. How can a designated city park become a housing district? That is just wrong.


Edited by mstone - 3/8/13 at 7:28pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #119 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

On my iPhone 5 the Tinderry name does not appear no matter how far I zoom in. How can a designated city park become a housing district? That is just wrong.

 

They swapped the land for another park which was created, Google call it Lot 85 in between Selwyn and Perisher.

 

The street signs for Perisher say CCT (Circuit) at one end and CRT (Court) at the other, if the council can't even get it right, what hope do mapmakers have?

 

Sidetrack into outer Sydney suburban real estate, with attempted measurement conversions.

 

Blocks are between 5-600 square metres (0.123 to 0.148 acres), roughly eight to the acre, frontages are around 60 feet, most houses are two storey, around 40 squares each and are usually built within just over a yard from the side fence lines.

 

Blocks of land are worth around $A200-250,000.

 

More house = less mowing.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #120 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
More house = less mowing.

So you don't have cheap labor in garden care?  You need some illegal aliens. /s

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test