or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New study shows iOS gobbling up enterprise market share from Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New study shows iOS gobbling up enterprise market share from Android

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Data harvested by enterprise file sharing and cloud storage company Egnyte shows Apple's iOS, led by the iPhone, is growing its share of the enterprise market, while Google's Android user base continues to contract.

According to TechCrunch, Egnyte tracked which mobile operating systems were being used to access the firm's servers, with the sample comprising of 100,000 paying customers over the past year and a half.

While the report does not reflect an exhaustive rundown of the worldwide enterprise market ? U.S. companies accounted for 80 percent of the data, with the remaining 20 percent attributed to European entities ? it gives an overview of how iOS and Android are faring in the corporate marketplace.

Egnyte
OS marketshare for Q3/Q4 2011 (left) and 2012 full-year (right). | Source: Egnyte


Until recently, the share of smartphones and tablets running Google's mobile platform had been holding steady at 30 percent, while iOS devices accounted for nearly 70 percent of Egnyte's traffic. Over the third and fourth quarters of 2011, the iPhone and iPad took a 28 percent and 40 percent share of traffic, respectively. Interestingly, usage of Apple's iOS products flip-flopped during 2012, with the iPhone capturing a 42 percent share, while the iPad fell to 27 percent.

However, preliminary data for the first quarter of 2013 shows Android impressions fell to 22 percent as the iPhone and iPad gained ground, accounting for a respective 48 percent and 30 percent of tracked users.

Egnyte
Preliminary OS marketshare data for Q1 2013


Speaking to the results, Egnyte told TechCrunch that smartphones are likely being used for many business-oriented tasks like checking and responding to corporate email. Another factor could be the current limitations of tablets, which have yet to completely replicate the usability of enterprise laptops.

"Apple seems to have at least temporarily won the hearts and minds of business users with its products accounting for about 70 percent of our traffic," the company said. "This is important because it?s a flip-flop from the days of old, where Apple products were rarely seen in the corporate landscape. It?s also an indication that when BYOD wrested control over what devices consumers used from IT, they overwhelmingly chose an easy to use product that focused on UI and usability, perhaps even at times over depth."

Thursday's report comes on the heels of another study conducted by mobile device, app and data security firm Good Technology, which found iOS devices accounted for 77 percent of all enterprise activations across its network for the fourth quarter of 2012. Over the same period, Android dropped from 29 percent of activations to 22.7 percent.
post #2 of 33
This seems to be consistent with the report from Good?
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This seems to be consistent with the report from Good?

 

Yes. And it's really not surprising that the more tightly controlled software environment provided by Apple would be more popular with Enterprise.

post #4 of 33
No surprise here.
Android is unsecured and the Apple development platform is years ahead.
post #5 of 33
Uh, what, exactly are we supposed to do with those images in the article?
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This seems to be consistent with the report from Good?

Sure. So AAPL will plummet again tomorrow. There's too much good news about Apple this week, so the analysts will have to make up for it by spreading more FUD.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #7 of 33
Excellent, this should drop the stock another 10 points. After all, with all the inroads Apple is making in enterprise and education, markets which Android is getting absolutely no foothold in, Apple is surely fucking doomed.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Uh, what, exactly are we supposed to do with those images in the article?

Amen, what's with the ridiculously small images that don't expand so you can actually read them?

post #9 of 33

how to negatively spin this for WS's eyes...oooh, iPad use drops from 40% to 30% in over a year.

post #10 of 33
b.b..but ISO devices are just for media consumption. You cant do serious work with it.
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Uh, what, exactly are we supposed to do with those images in the article?

Ooo and ahhh
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Uh, what, exactly are we supposed to do with those images in the article?

Ooo and ahhh

For those who didn't see the article earlier; the images were illegibly small. (not mentioned in my OP)

But AI is on the case. 1biggrin.gif

post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

b.b..but ISO devices are just for media consumption. You cant do serious work with it.

 

That's still true. I looked at what people use their computers for where I work, and the bulk of it is running proprietary software with multiple simultaneous users, written for Windows, that is very keyboard intensive. There's no way to replace those seats with iPads, and even if it WAS possible, it wouldn't be a good idea because typing is comparatively slow and awkward on a touchscreen device.

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Sure. So AAPL will plummet again tomorrow. There's too much good news about Apple this week, so the analysts will have to make up for it by spreading more FUD.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Excellent, this should drop the stock another 10 points. After all, with all the inroads Apple is making in enterprise and education, markets which Android is getting absolutely no foothold in, Apple is surely fucking doomed.


Is that the limit of your cerebral scope - how $AAPL will react in the short term?

post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Excellent, this should drop the stock another 10 points. After all, with all the inroads Apple is making in enterprise and education, markets which Android is getting absolutely no foothold in, Apple is surely fucking doomed.

Well, according to FOX News, Newscorp is going to steal Apple's lunch money in the school market. Yup, Apple is on the defensive and sinking fast.

 

/s 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

That's still true. I looked at what people use their computers for where I work, and the bulk of it is running proprietary software with multiple simultaneous users, written for Windows, that is very keyboard intensive. There's no way to replace those seats with iPads, and even if it WAS possible, it wouldn't be a good idea because typing is comparatively slow and awkward on a touchscreen device.

I guess I missed the new law that says no one is allowed to do anything with their computers except what your backward company does.

I'll pay closer attention next time. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Uh, what, exactly are we supposed to do with those images in the article?
Um look and comprehend maybe, is that too difficult of a task for you?
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I guess I missed the new law that says no one is allowed to do anything with their computers except what your backward company does.

I'll pay closer attention next time. /s

 

Okay big mouth. You think iPads are a useful tool for content creation? Show us how. Give me an example of a company that's in the business of creating content (like the "backward company" I work for), going through the various job functions -- audio, video, graphics, administration, finance, production, editing, writing, show planning, sales, security and any other department you can think of that I've missed -- and tell us exactly how ANY of those people are going to do their job on an iPad.

 

Here's a hint: You won't be able to because

 

A: you don't know the first goddam thing about what a content creating company actually does,

B: the iPad, despite being a useful device in its niche, is NOT a replacement for a desktop computer for many, many tasks.

 

Put up or shut the **** up. Or, y'know, since the former isn't possible, just the latter.

post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


Um look and comprehend maybe, is that too difficult of a task for you?

Is it your mission to be as rude as possible to as many as possible on these forums?  If you'd bothered to read the thread (I know its a bit long, all 3/4 of a page), you would have known that initially the images were too small to read and didn't expand.

 

Your condescending tone in nearly all of your posts speaks volumes

post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Okay big mouth. You think iPads are a useful tool for content creation? Show us how. Give me an example of a company that's in the business of creating content (like the "backward company" I work for), going through the various job functions -- audio, video, graphics, administration, finance, production, editing, writing, show planning, sales, security and any other department you can think of that I've missed -- and tell us exactly how ANY of those people are going to do their job on an iPad.

Here's a hint: You won't be able to because

A: you don't know the first goddam thing about what a content creating company actually does,
B: the iPad, despite being a useful device in its niche, is NOT a replacement for a desktop computer for many, many tasks.

Put up or shut the **** up. Or, y'know, since the former isn't possible, just the latter.

Apparently you missed the stories about an author using an iPad to write a book or the New Yorker creating a cover with the iPad. Perhaps you don't know about Citrix for iPad either.
post #21 of 33

Looks like Apple has a case of Pacman Fever...num num num num

post #22 of 33
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Apparently you missed the stories about an author using an iPad to write a book or the New Yorker creating a cover with the iPad. Perhaps you don't know about Citrix for iPad either.

 

Why you would expect him to care at all about anything he is actually saying is beyond me. 

 

Should be thrown on block lists until he gets enough infractions to ban.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #23 of 33

But I thought the iPad was just a toy! How can it be taking a lead in the enterprise market? I thought business people do REAL work, and we all know the iPad does nothing whatsoever.

 

I smell something fishy...somebody probably made this all up.
 

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...] Should be thrown on block lists until he gets enough infractions to ban.

 

Really? What is this, high school? It's okay for the clique of popular regulars to be insulting and dismissive, but if one of the grungy guys from the smoking pit says anything inconsistent with group dogma, "Ban him!"

 

Do what you gotta do I guess, but it seems like there's a double standard being applied.

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


Apparently you missed the stories about an author using an iPad to write a book or the New Yorker creating a cover with the iPad. Perhaps you don't know about Citrix for iPad either.

 

No, I hadn't heard of those things. I wonder if it's possible that they were considered "news" because they're such an accomplishment over adverse circumstances and so unusual?

 

I do not mean to denigrate the iPad at all -- it's a great device -- but obviously the state of hardware, software and UI development (not to mention file management) is not yet to the point where using it for such tasks can realistically be expected to be a viable replacement for the status quo.


Edited by v5v - 3/8/13 at 4:45pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...] Should be thrown on block lists until he gets enough infractions to ban.

 

Really? What is this, high school? It's okay for the clique of popular regulars to be insulting and dismissive, but if one of the grungy guys from the smoking pit says anything inconsistent with group dogma, "Ban him!"

 

Do what you gotta do I guess, but it seems like there's a double standard being applied.

 

If you feel that some of the regular posters are being dismissive, you might take a step back and look at your own posts. Many of them are really quite obnoxious - what do you expect in response?

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

If you feel that some of the regular posters are being dismissive, you might take a step back and look at your own posts. Many of them are really quite obnoxious - what do you expect in response?

 

I get that at work too, and all I can offer is an apology. Apparently my written communication takes on a "tone" that I don't intend. I'm frequently surprised to discover that people have taken exception to something I've written that I thought was completely benign.

 

I am trying to identify where I'm going wrong and hopefully am improving somewhat, but except for cases in which I was deliberately abrasive for comedic effect or calling out a blowhard, I apologize and promise to try to do better.

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

No, I hadn't heard of those things. I wonder if it's possible that they were considered "news" because they're such an accomplishment over adverse circumstances and so unusual?

 

I do not mean to denigrate the iPad at all -- it's a great device -- but obviously the state of hardware, software and UI development (not to mention file management) is not yet to the point where using it for such tasks can realistically be expected to be a viable replacement for the status quo.

There have also been entire music albums created on the iPad.  I personally use mine to create sales presentations and proposals.

2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Um look and comprehend maybe, is that too difficult of a task for you?

Hello Mr. Chemist
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

There have also been entire music albums created on the iPad.  I personally use mine to create sales presentations and proposals.

Do u mean album covers?
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Okay big mouth. You think iPads are a useful tool for content creation? Show us how. Give me an example of a company that's in the business of creating content (like the "backward company" I work for), going through the various job functions -- audio, video, graphics, administration, finance, production, editing, writing, show planning, sales, security and any other department you can think of that I've missed -- and tell us exactly how ANY of those people are going to do their job on an iPad.

Here's a hint: You won't be able to because

A: you don't know the first goddam thing about what a content creating company actually does,
B: the iPad, despite being a useful device in its niche, is NOT a replacement for a desktop computer for many, many tasks.

Put up or shut the **** up. Or, y'know, since the former isn't possible, just the latter.

You were saying you weren't aware of the tone of your words? Seriously?
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

You were saying you weren't aware of the tone of your words? Seriously?

 

Yeah, point taken. That one was on purpose. He had it coming though. He was rude, deliberately confrontational, and worst of all, full of crap, so I called him on it.

 

I'll try not to let myself get sucked in. It's hard with guys like him though.

post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


Do u mean album covers?

No, I mean actual music albums like music.  The Gorillaz was the first I believe.

2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New study shows iOS gobbling up enterprise market share from Android