or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone

New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone

post #1 of 70
A new report out of China claims that Apple has contracted with Taiwan's Chipbond Science and Technology to build fingerprint sensors into its next-generation iPhone.

Fingerprint

The details were reported on Monday by China Times, which claimed that the so-called "iPhone 5S" will include both a fingerprint sensor and a near-field communications chip for mobile payments. The two items are expected to work in concert with one another, allowing users to easily authorize a transaction with their fingerprint.

Apple reportedly began stocking components for the iPhone 5S during the second quarter. The device is expected to launch in mid-to-late 2013.

The details reported on Monday align with what was previously claimed by analyst Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a reliable track record in predicting Apple's future product pipeline. Kuo believes the new iPhone 5S will launch sometime in June or July with the same aesthetic as the iPhone 5, but with the addition of a built-in fingerprint sensor, along with an improved camera and more powerful A7 system on a chip.

According to Kuo, the fingerprint sensor will reside under the home button on the device. Users will simply place their thumb over the button when prompted, and the identity of the user can be verified for various tasks such as entering passwords or authorizing purchases.

The first signs of a potential fingerprint scanner in future devices appeared last year when it was revealed that Apple had bought security firm AuthenTec. The $356 million acquisition was reportedly focused on the company's "Smart Sensor" component, which measures just 1.30 millimeters thick but can scan 500 pixels per inch.

As for the possibility of an NFC e-wallet in the next iPhone, Apple set the stage for such a move last year with the debut of Passbook in iOS 6. But in launching Passbook, Apple decided to eschew NFC payments, due in part to the need for mobile payment terminals at stores for such a system to work.
post #2 of 70
Cool!
post #3 of 70
Say it enough times I'm sure it will eventually be true.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #4 of 70
It doesn't matter. Unless the iPhone 5s has a flux capacitor and time machine, it's no good and everyone should sell their AAPL stock.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #5 of 70

A non mechanical home button.  Thats the only way I see there being any kind of sensor to scan finger prints.  Dragging a finger across the home button leaves for residue between the button and the main glass that can build up and may cause issues.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #6 of 70
Even if it had a flux capacitor they would still find ways to spin it negatively.
post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Kuo, the fingerprint sensor will reside under the home button on the device. Users will simply place their thumb over the button when prompted, ...

Wonder how many people will then also click the button by habit, and accidentally leave the payment app.

Might take a little getting used to.  Otherwise, pretty cool.

post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

A non mechanical home button.  Thats the only way I see there being any kind of sensor to scan finger prints.  Dragging a finger across the home button leaves for residue between the button and the main glass that can build up and may cause issues.

What about the sensor behind the glass face of the Home Button so that it's a physical button that has a digital sensor in it?

post #9 of 70
You android fans aka noid why are u guys on here can't u find a android insider site including you { jragosta}
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Even if it had a flux capacitor they would still find ways to spin it negatively.

1.21 gigawatts would drain the battery pretty quickly.

post #11 of 70
I think the fingerprint sensor, nfc, A7 processor, and 13 megapixel camera sounds like good ideas for the 5s.
post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Perfect ! :-)

post #13 of 70
OMG, every time I read "rumour" in the article / title I want to scream, every time I read "
analyst" in the article I want to find so-called scumbag analyst and beat the crap out of him!

These people are paid ridiculous sums of money to talk out of their asses, makes me sick.
post #14 of 70

NFC would be a step in the right direction for them. 

post #15 of 70
Quote:

So then it would finally be true that Apple is copying Android phones.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 70
Quote:

"Apple is forcing us to buy their proprietary plutonium fuel cells"

post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"Apple is forcing us to buy their proprietary plutonium fuel cells"

"Why can't we customize the speed at which the time travel initiates? What if I want it to happen at 69mph instead of 88? I'm so sick of the lack of customization!"

post #18 of 70

This is good. I was waiting for this. NFC is good, fingerprint is good, but I still need a 4.8-5 inch screen. I might stay with Apple if they bring these to the next iPhone. Ha, look at AAPL, it just jumped up! Probably because of this rumour. :D

post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Wonder how many people will then also click the button by habit, and accidentally leave the payment app.

Might take a little getting used to.  Otherwise, pretty cool.

Perhaps the prompt on the screen would simply say "press the home button to confirm identity," and at those (few) times, the press would have a different result than usual.  I know it breaks the consistency model, but not in a way that would be frequent or confusing.  The user will know why they are doing it when they are doing it, and the result (clearing the prompt and continuing with what you were attempting to do) would be entirely expected.

Thompson

post #20 of 70
Quote:

Say it enough times I'm sure it will eventually be true.

I could bet everything that at least the fingerprint sensor is true. Last year every rumour has been confirmed. When a rumour about NFC had appeared in August, a NO NFC rumour quickly was published in WSJ and Bloomberg. Make no mistake, these rumours are controlled rumours spread by Apple.

post #21 of 70
Anything less wouldn't be a must-buy...

As for companies not having the hardware for nfc, Apple will practically give them away, I would think. They'll make their money on the transaction.
post #22 of 70

True, advanced and secure finger print recognition would be a nice thing to have on Apple phones. As for NFC, even though a few Android phones have it, it hasn't taken off at all, and we all know that it won't until Apple adopts it, as Android has no sway in the real world or the retail world. Retailers are interested in customers who actually spend money, not cheap bums.

This sure beats other useless "innovations", such as those anti-social spy glasses made for perverts and sex offenders. Seriously, if somebody walks up to me with those glasses on and starts to ask me a question, I would have to consider punching them in their face, as I value my privacy and I refuse to be recorded.

post #23 of 70

IMO putting it under the home button would be stupid and awkward.  I continue to believe that this is just an assumption on the part of Analysts who can't conceive of anything else. The technology they just bought was for integrating fingerprint scanners into screens, not home buttons.  

post #24 of 70
We all know that anyone can make the hardware. Android proves that time and time again. What they can't do is the software to support it.

NFC chip: check.
Infrastructure to really make NFC payments take off: Umm.

Apple will kill on the software/retailer side. They will give away a small NFC xmitter, which looks like a very small Apple TV, to all retailers. It will connect to the iTunes ecosystem. They will partner with Starbucks and Target to make it take off, but nearly all other retailers will jump onboard.

It'll be Passbook-like in functionality. Walk into a Target, go up to the cash register, the cashier sees that you're iPhone 5S/6 NFC-enabled, you walk out.
post #25 of 70
NFC Spychips in iPhone, NO THANKS!!!! Guess it is time to stop buying iPhone!

See the book http://spychips.org

Watch the documentary movie:
http://freedomtofascism.com

What's next, Al Gore the scammer will try to impose RFID linked carbon taxation to everyone, due to the global warming farce?! Time to break free of these snake oil salesmen.
post #26 of 70
If it's fast, this will be really nice. I'm too lazy to use the 4-digit code to unlock my phone each time, but if I can just touch it with my thumb to unlock, I will use it. Maybe this will be part of a larger effort to secure these devices and make them less attractive to thieves, and the S is for "secure" this time.
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

OMG, every time I read "rumour" in the article / title I want to scream, every time I read "
analyst" in the article I want to find so-called scumbag analyst and beat the crap out of him!

These people are paid ridiculous sums of money to talk out of their asses, makes me sick.

Since Apple has decided that they don't want to announce anything, what else besides rumours and analysis do you expect to read? There is nothing else to report, and this is Apple's fault. With Google you can talk about Google Glass, about self driving cars, but with Apple you can only talk rumours. In my opinion this is stupid. It might have worked when they were a small company, but not now when they are the biggest corporation on Earth. Inverstors and average people want to know what is Apple doing, what are they working on. If they don't say anything the investors might assume that Apple is probably working at... nothing! And sell the stock!

post #28 of 70
Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post
You android fans aka noid why are u guys on here can't u find a android insider site including you { jragosta}

jragosta. A fandroid. That's a good one!

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post
Maybe this will be part of a larger effort to secure these devices and make them less attractive to thieves, and the S is for "secure" this time.

Can't fingerprint sensors be fooled by using a latex glove?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't know much about fingerprint tech, but it makes sense to me that the answer would have to be no. If Apple implements fingerprint tech, it's not going to be like useless and easily fooled face recognition tech that some Fandroids were boasting about a while ago. This finger print tech needs to be very secure and not easily bypassed, otherwise what's the point?

I guess that a thief could always chop off somebody's finger, that sounds like one way to gain access to somebody's device.

post #30 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

NFC would be a step in the right direction for them. 

NFC is useless and insecure, so unless by "right direction" you mean backwards (and you hate them) then no.  

I'm not sure why it's mentioned in the same breath as the fingerprint deal all the time either.  You don't need NFC to have a fingerprint sensor (which is a good idea BTW), and you don't need a fingerprint sensor to "authenticate" NFC.  They are rarely used together, neither needs the other, and the absence of either one doesn't make the other fail.  

Out of the two, it's far more likely they would go with the fingerprint technology and it would be more useful integrated into the screen than it would under the home button.  

post #31 of 70
Quote:
... Can't fingerprint sensors be fooled by using a latex glove?

The technology they recently bought is supposed to be able to tell the difference between living and dead flesh so you can't do the "latex glove trick" or the "cut off your bosses finger" trick (supposedly).  

post #32 of 70

Is the home button really big enough to scan a fingerprint?

A full-sized fingerprint, such as those taken by the police, are of the entire surface of the first section of one's finger.  The current home button is maybe only half that size, if that.  I doubt that Apple would make the home button any bigger just to accommodate this.

Are there any fingerprint scanning experts here who can shed some light on this?

post #33 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

The NFC in a phone is a READER, not a tracking chip like you're worried about

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

NFC is useless and insecure, so unless by "right direction" you mean backwards (and you hate them) then no.  

NFC is not insecure.  It's a comm method, that's all.  Security is up to the protocol above it.

Quote:

jragosta. A fandroid. That's a good one!

Well, he does post an awful lot of fantasy scenarios like this example.  If you read fast and didn't know he was trying to be funny, you might think he was promoting Samsung / Android.

Quote:

Even the cheap visual sensors come with software that checks for recent exact matches, which... opposite of what many people would think... are considered to be faking attempts, since exact matches rarely happen.  So a glove usually won't work.

Sensors like the Authentec version, use capacitance to measure the skin ridges in your fingerprint, similar to the way touchscreens work, but far more sensitive.  This not only makes it extra difficult to fool, but probably requires a live human, so cutting off a finger won't help a thief.  Of course, that fact would need to be heavily advertised !

Edited by KDarling - 3/11/13 at 1:18pm
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

NFC is useless and insecure, so unless by "right direction" you mean backwards (and you hate them) then no.  

Curious- what would you suggest to improve mobile payment or an alternative to NFC?  Currently- there are dozens of stores around me that support NFC.  None support Bluetooth, etc.  Useless is subjective- I don't believe because of all the stores around me that support it- and I would love to not bring my wallet in.  Insecure is also subjective depending on what you believe "Secure" to be.  Hey- Some people don't believe online banking is secure.

Again- not tearing down your post, but asking what a viable alternative would be.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The technology they recently bought is supposed to be able to tell the difference between living and dead flesh so you can't do the "latex glove trick" or the "cut off your bosses finger" trick (supposedly).  

Sure, but how does it know it's living tissue? Could having really cold hands give a false reading of dead tissue? Could pumping a saline-based fluid and inducing some electrical signal through the severed digit give a positive reading? If you're going to cut of a finger to gain access to a phone I don't think those other steps will be a deal breaker.

post #36 of 70

I hope the rumor is true.  Would be a pretty nice feature.  Much better than the eye-scrolling tech that Samsung is rolling out.

post #37 of 70
I hope this is true, yet will they have multi touch trackpad(like MacBook ones) so it will work with motion gestures. Hay maybe with that and a Bluetooth keyboard the IPad will work.
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

See the book http://spychips.org

Watch the documentary movie:
http://freedomtofascism.com

What's next, Al Gore the scammer will try to impose RFID linked carbon taxation to everyone, due to the global warming farce?! Time to break free of these snake oil salesmen.

Finally someone with an ounce of sense speaks up! My wife has a GNex, and I've turned off the NFC on that phone, and if it ever comes to iPhone, that's the FIRST function I disable!

Although the fingerprint scanner would be a nice touch...

post #39 of 70
Quote:

Sure, but how does it know it's living tissue? Could having really cold hands give a false reading of dead tissue? Could pumping a saline-based fluid and inducing some electrical signal through the severed digit give a positive reading? If you're going to cut of a finger to gain access to a phone I don't think those other steps will be a deal breaker.

Yeah, thus my use of "supposed" twice.  

there is always a way around these sorts of things.  Not the least of which is the fact that fingerprints are actually not that unique.  In any reasonably large city for example there is usually at least a few people with fingerprints so similar that you can't tell them apart.  

post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious- what would you suggest to improve mobile payment or an alternative to NFC?  Currently- there are dozens of stores around me that support NFC.  None support Bluetooth, etc.  Useless is subjective- I don't believe because of all the stores around me that support it- and I would love to not bring my wallet in.  Insecure is also subjective depending on what you believe "Secure" to be.  Hey- Some people don't believe online banking is secure.

Again- not tearing down your post, but asking what a viable alternative would be.

Well, my comment about "insecure" is just based on me reading lots of articles that say that it NFC is inherently insecure, easy to hack etc. I don't have any references but I'm sure they are easy to find.  The fact that I don't suggest an alternative is of no bearing on whether or not NFC is a good choice.  

My personal experience with NFC is that the customers are suspicious of it, and the stores are loathe to implement it.  It tends to shave a few seconds off of doing the transaction with a PIN but most of the places where the user could benefit from those seconds (restaurants, coffee, etc.) are places that run on tips and NFC makes tipping practically impossible.  That's why many coffee places aren't implementing it from what I understand.  

Apple's Passbook feature is about the same level of security and more or less the same ease of use.  I would guess that the fingerprint scanning will be tied to Passbook in order to make customers feel easier about tying their credit card to it, but they might include NFC as well just because some people have it.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone