Originally Posted by SolipsismX
1) "You're hoarding it wrong!"
2) There is plenty Apple can invest in with that oversea's cash. I suspect there is a need for more data centers outside the US, especially in China right now and in India in years to come, not to mention centralized ones for S. America, Africa, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
Here's what I have figured out they can use that money for.
1. Additional Apple Stores or renovating the stores from time to time.
2. Buying foreign companies such as what Apple did with Anobit.
3. Data Centers as you mentioned, Call Centers for sales and tech support.
6. Investing in mfg. Apple has supplied lots of cash to foreign component suppliers and assembly companies to build plants and buy equipment to assist in ensuring supply and delivery of product in plants that are specifically for Apple. I can see Apple reaching a point where they will have assembly of various products in various countries to supply products like iPhones. So, instead of them being made just in China, they might have various plants around the world to get the products out to the customers faster. I think Apple is supposed to be opening up or looking into making iPhones in Brazil to serve certain markets.
Plus components are made around the world in different factories so they might be supplying funds out of their various cash piles to do this.
The whole "hoarding cash" to avoid taxes is just one TINY aspect of using money in the various ways I've described. It's all about how the media SPINS it. I wish they would get better journalists that actually had a background in technology, mfg., business background and finance rather than some idiot with very little background in what they are writing about. Journalists usually only know how to get people's attention, tech savvy people might know about technology, but little about business, finance, money management, etc. and then finance majors typically don't know much about technology. I read articles with a LOT OF SALT handy, because a grain of salt may not be enough to swallow the BS.