or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › App hides pre-installed iOS titles, disables iAds without jailbreak [u]

App hides pre-installed iOS titles, disables iAds without jailbreak [u]

post #1 of 28
In an app likely to be pulled from the App Store in the very near future, HIddenApps promises to remove stock iOS apps like Newsstand and Weather from a user's home screen.

Update: As suspected, Apple has yanked HiddenApps from the App Store.

HiddenApps

HiddenApps allows users to temporarily hide Apple's stock iOS apps, disable iAds and enter a Field Test mode that displays cellular reception strength in numerical form rather than signal bars.

When users run HiddenApps, they are met with a launch screen showing a basic list of the app's features, including "Hide Apps," "Disable all iAds," "iOS Diagnostics" and "Field Test" activation. Selecting "Hide Apps" shows a number of built-in titles that can be hidden, including Calendar, Stocks, Passbook, Compass, Maps and more.

When a user clicks on an app, like Maps, a pop-up window asks for permission to install the app "Poof." Choosing install will result in a failure message, and changes Maps into a darkened "Poof" icon. By deleting the icon, the Maps app is effectively hidden from view. Hidden apps can be reinstated by rebooting or respringing the device.

Due to its nature, the sneaky app is likely slipped by the App Store approval process and is expected to be pulled soon.

For the time being, HiddenApps is available as a free 5.4MB download from the App Store.
post #2 of 28

Downloaded. Never going to use it, but I'll have it after it's kicked out!

post #3 of 28
Grabbed it. Using it it. ftw.

But I suppose I could have just gone the Jailbreak route, since my phone is jailbroken (yeah, I'm cool).
post #4 of 28
Finally, I can remove the "crap I don't use" folder from my iphone. Thanks
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 28
Requires IOS 6, so won't work on an iPad 1. 1frown.gif
post #6 of 28
This App installs a custom profile on your iOS device. I would be very wary of installing it on devices with your personal data attached. This App will be pulled very quickly and for excellent reasons. SERIOUSLY, DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP!!
post #7 of 28
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post
Requires IOS 6, so won't work on an iPad 1. 1frown.gif

Apple needs to start delineating the "and iPad" on the iTunes Store if this is the case. It's unacceptable. Having "requires iOS 6 or later" doesn't cut it. 

Or, rather, it can cut it all alone. Just say "requires iOS 6 or later" and have that be the default for all devices instead of listing both and then lying about what's actually compatible.

post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandino View Post

This App installs a custom profile on your iOS device. I would be very wary of installing it on devices with your personal data attached. This App will be pulled very quickly and for excellent reasons. SERIOUSLY, DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP!!

Didn't Apple throughly check out the app before allowing it on the app store?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Didn't Apple throughly check out the app before allowing it on the app store?

There are some tricks that are sometimes used such as putting hidden functionality in the app that only reveals itself after a certain date, giving the app time to be approved before the hacking part kicks in. Apple can't look in the source code so the offending functionality is invisible until the designated time. I'm sure that Apple could check by setting the date forward on their checking device but I'm not sure they do that. With a name like HiddenApps it would probably be prudent to give it a more careful examination.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #10 of 28

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:33pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:

Can you (or anybody else) elaborate on this comment?

I'd like to know more.

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #12 of 28
Already pulled. Not available in the US store.
post #13 of 28
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'd like to know more.

I wish there was an equivalent to Little Snitch in iOS.

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple needs to start delineating the "and iPad" on the iTunes Store if this is the case. It's unacceptable. Having "requires iOS 6 or later" doesn't cut it. 

Or, rather, it can cut it all alone. Just say "requires iOS 6 or later" and have that be the default for all devices instead of listing both and then lying about what's actually compatible.

Fragmentation... BIATCH! 1tongue.gif
post #15 of 28
Quote:

Agreed. Even Littler Snitch would be welcome on my devices.

Nobody has any further info. on what we have to fear from this app?

post #16 of 28
"App hides pre-installed iOS titles"

Making a folder called "Meh." is still possible.
post #17 of 28
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post
Fragmentation... BIATCH! 1tongue.gif

Please come back when you have any idea what you're talking about.

post #18 of 28
Quote:

I'd like to know more.

Basically GTR is saying it is worth being careful of an app designed to download something to your phone as t wasn't vetted and likely isn't going to play by Apple rules. So not warn you when it uploads your contacts etc to their server. 

Given that a power off ruins this trick I call the whole thing a meh. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 28
I wouldn't mind putting Newstand away as I'm not using it... but I'm not going to use app for that. Crazy.
post #20 of 28

Somehow I just don't trust this app. If it can game Apple, who will say it won't game us.

post #21 of 28

looks like it's gone, from the UK store at least, it appears in the Search results but it's a dead link

post #22 of 28

It's been pulled at Apple, but it still available without jail-breaking your iPhone. Courtesy 9to5

http://cydiahacks.com/

Edited by Gatorguy - 3/12/13 at 3:47am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #23 of 28

There is, it's called: Firewall IP

Of course you need to jailbreak, since Apple doesn't want users in control of network traffic.

No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #24 of 28
@dasanman69 Apple doesn't really check everything. They check for crashes and easily detectable defects, and they have humans who may, or may not, checkmore thoroughly.

Look at the list of apps that obviously disregard Apple's terms and conditions. I even found a bug in one of my apps years after pushing it to the Store, which by the way is irritating as a programming artist 1tongue.gif

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #25 of 28

It makes a mockery of the review process that something so obvious a hack could get through. But then they can't properly review all apps because they don't have a policy of automatically disallowing insubstantial apps.

post #26 of 28
Quote:

I'd like to know more.

"Profiles" are a feature for enterprise control of iOS devices, and (potentially) allow for the app to do some sneaky things.

Profiles can also be installed from other sources too, such as email attachments or web pages. You always get prompted first, though.

To see how a profile can modify your device, check out this Apple reference page:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html

Other than the obvious things listed in the above link, the ability to install certificates is a huge security hole if you don't trust the source of the profile. If they install a bogus certificate, they could potentially perform a man-in-the-middle attack and intercept/tamper with secure communications from your phone (ie online banking). The certificate's only one step in the process though, they'd still have other work to do to attack successfully.

Moral of the story: never allow a profile to be installed on your device unless you really trust the source.

post #27 of 28

Little update here: I downloaded this on my computer, yeah, with no intention of ever installing or using it.

Come to grab my iPad and the App Store password modal popup pops up. Turns out, it's downloading there.

On my iPad. Running iOS 5.

So it downloads and starts to install, and then it hangs. Now all it can do is restart the installation, eventually changing the app icon from dim to normal brightness, but keeping the installation bar on top of it. Can't open it, doesn't install, but it's there.

1. That's Apple's fault, and it should be embarrassing.

2. This PROVES that Cards (which STILL perpetually shows up as an update on my device but CANNOT be updated) does not require iOS 6 and was never originally going to require it, which is also embarrassing to Apple. 

post #28 of 28
Here is a perfect example of why you shouldn't install unknown custom profiles:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/13/ios-vulnerability-uses-mobileconfig-files-to-steal-data
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › App hides pre-installed iOS titles, disables iAds without jailbreak [u]