or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch

Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch

post #1 of 81
Just days before its official unveiling at a massively hyped event in New York, a video has emerged online appearing to show off the Galaxy S IV, the new flagship smartphone that Samsung hopes will unseat Apple's iPhone 5 atop the bestseller list.

As the March 14 unveiling of the Galaxy S IV draws nearer, leaks and rumors about the device have proliferated. Hands-on pictures began circulating late last week, and on Tuesday the video above emerged from the same source that first posted hands-on images.

With a video touting the design process for the iPad mini playing in the background, the unnamed videographer shows off the internals of the device, including its removable back cover and battery. The device shown appears to hew largely to the design aesthetic of its predecessor, the Galaxy S III, retaining the plastic casing, but with a finish that attempts to give the premium look of an Apple or HTC device.

The device also appears to have two SIM card clots, suggesting that it could be a Galaxy Duos variant and not the main, single-SIM Galaxy S IV.

Besides a brief look at the camera's burst mode and the phone's dialer, the video shows little else in the way of functions for the purported Galaxy S IV. The user explores a few of what appear to be settings menus, but no demonstration is given of any eye-tracking tech or wireless charging, both of which have been rumored to be included in this year's model.

When it's revealed on Thursday, the Galaxy S IV is expected to feature an eight-core Exynos 5 Octa processor and a PowerVR SGX 5443MP3, tri-core GPU. It is also expected to feature a five-inch 1080p display and to run Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean out of the box.

With the Galaxy S III having firmly established Samsung as the top rival to Apple in the smartphone segment, the South Korean conglomerate is hoping to blow past the iPhone maker with the S IV. The new Samsung flagship model has been accompanied by a massive marketing campaign, with teaser videos having run on the Internet for the past week. Samsung will also stream the media event for the S IV launch both on YouTube and live in Times Square.
post #2 of 81

It's still slower than the iPhone UI, still runs apps created for underpowered 3.5 inch 480*600 screens, still has worse build quality, it's still ugly, innovates 0.

post #3 of 81
the back looks cheap ....
post #4 of 81
That was some serious lag while he was typing "1212" in the phone application. And this is the flagship? lol...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #5 of 81

did anyone notice what was playing in the background?  Seriously?

post #6 of 81
Apple is Still Better then Samsung, Apple iPhone is still #1 1smile.gif
I Love My 2009 24inch Apple iMac Computer
I Love My 2009 24inch Apple iMac Computer
post #7 of 81
Originally Posted by xt500n View Post
the back looks cheap ....

"The back of our phone looks cheaper than the front of theirs!"

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #8 of 81
Quote:
That was some serious lag while he was typing "1212" in the phone application. And this is the flagship? lol...

A lot more lag than the GS2 ans GS3 ever had. If this even is the GS4 hardware, the software was not even close to a release candidate. Most sites seem to think its fake. I'm very surprised AI is picking up a rumored leak of the GS4 like this.

post #9 of 81

Well, you can't say that Samsung or GOOG beats AAPL to the punch.  SJ & AAPL define innovation if anyone does.

Samsung revealing this phone is not innovation, it's copycat and inferior, Walmart style.  The next move for AAPL is hopefully a China Mobile deal, and some financial engineering/innovation. There is no reason Cook and Co. should have let AAPL fall 40% in share price, but obviously they are interested in a huge buy-back and Buffet is probably directly involved.  An IBM and an AAPL valuing their shareholders the same would create new standards in both Silicon Valley and on Wall St.  May even be unprecedented.

AAPL is a value play AND a growth play...when are they going to re-establish the glitter?  Perhaps SJ schooled his execs how to do this already and he's just up there laughing!  Jeffries puts AAPL at $420? Really?  I say they split 4-1 and go back to $600 shortly thereafter.  As much as I bash Cook, I am sensing they know exactly what their game plan is and exactly how to execute it.

post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I am about to watch the video. But I have a 32gb iphone 5. I find that it doesn't run as smoothly as the 3G and 4 when I first got them (clearly with newer software, these old models slowed down) but for a brand new phone. I am simply OK with the way the iphone 5 runs. I find it to lag here and there for a short time (nothing that is usually too annoying). I guess it is due to the growing complexity of iOS but its far from the near prefect iOS I once knew. 

I also must add, I usually don't ask much from my phone. I don't play games or anything of that nature. Nonetheless, the iPhone is 95% of the time, near prefect. Just find myself more annoyed with the iPhone 5 "hangups" more than any other iPhone that I have owned. But the overall phone is way better than any Android. I once considered an Android until I actually watched someone use it. I will be staying iPhone for a long time.

When I say hang ups, I do not mean that horrible lag on "1212" lol     Glad I have an iPhone.

Edited by Seankill - 3/12/13 at 9:49am
post #11 of 81
ooooh look 'long and narrow'
post #12 of 81
If Apple would unveil such a plastic, cheap-ish and unimaginative design, they would be the laughing stock of the community. Now that Samesong does this (essentially still the copied iPhone 3g design) no-one is giving a peep. I mean, look at the thing, anyone with a bit of taste will agree that it is one ugly tablet, ehm, I mean phone... And indeed, I also noticed the lag of the software. But then again, it needs time to send the info you type in to Google, so some lag in Android is probably unavoidable...
post #13 of 81

There's a few songs.  I think you're after New Order, "Age of Consent."

post #14 of 81

I never realized that the plastic back snaps on and off. I am always really careful with my phones and have never dropped one, but I can imagine if you dropped that phone, the plastic back might pop off. Also, after awhile, removing and reinstalling the battery and the back case, it would be possible that the plastic could eventually become loose and come off very easily. Time for tape and rubber bands.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #15 of 81

Ugly phone IMO!  Its all on media now, how to bash S4 on every news article and crowd will automatically stay away and stick with great Apple products.

As far as I know rich and growing class people are staying with apple. Class which is being dragged down in such economy prefers Samdung (Korean)! 

Rich and Growing Class buys it all- Mac, iphone, ipad so that they can use whatever screen size they want.

Lagging Class- Buys big screen Samdung (They hope for laptop,tablet,phone-all in one). They may buy one $300 windows laptop or $100-200- Kindle fire/Google.

This is my observation!

post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

It's still slower than the iPhone UI, still runs apps created for underpowered 3.5 inch 480*600 screens, still has worse build quality, it's still ugly, innovates 0.

Looks like it will cannibalize their Note sales.  Why would they come out with a 5 inch screen for their flagship model, when they have the Note product?

I wonder how many they are going to actually sell.

post #17 of 81

It looks like the Galaxy Note 2. I'm guessing this is real. 

post #18 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never realized that the plastic back snaps on and off. I am always really careful with my phones and have never dropped one, but I can imagine if you dropped that phone, the plastic back would probably pop off. Also, after awhile, removing and reinstalling the battery and the back, I imagine the plastic case would eventually become loose and come off very easily. Time for tape and rubber bands.

That's because it's a fake. The Samsung backs are very difficult to get on and off - and for good reason. The lag is horrible, there is light bleeding from the screen, it has dual SIMs. It's a Chinese knock off. Maybe the GS4 will look exactly like this but, the video here is not of it.

post #19 of 81

Or if they can't budge the iPhone 5 they are at least hoping to beat out the year and half old iPhone 4s that outsold the SIII I would expect.

The decline in SIII sales though might indicate otherwise... plus Samsung's own guiodance that smartphones aren't where their future earnings will grow.

post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's because it's a fake. The Samsung backs are very difficult to get on and off - and for good reason. The lag is horrible, there is light bleeding from the screen, it has dual SIMs. It's a Chinese knock off. Maybe the GS4 will look exactly like this but, the video here is not of it.

Wow the Chinese are really good counterfeiters. I wonder why Samsung never copied Apple's battery design. Hasn't it been decided that removable batteries are dangerous?

post #21 of 81
background voice of the Video is iPhone5 audio from Sir Jonathan Ive, listen again 1smile.gif
post #22 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Looks like it will cannibalize their Note sales.  Why would they come out with a 5 inch screen for their flagship model, when they have the Note product?

Doesn't the Note have the pressure-sensitive stylus input and the standard Galaxy does not? Seems this would be the differentiator between the lines (as it is on their tablets, Galaxy vs Galaxy Note in the various sizes).

post #23 of 81
Why is the head of the person in the desktop picture cut off? Looks like a feature: 2/3 of the bottom of the screen used for something else than the top1/3?
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow the Chinese are really good counterfeiters. I wonder why Samsung never copied Apple's battery design. Hasn't it been decided that removable batteries are dangerous?

The Chinese aren't all that bad actually. I mean, they do make all the iPhones there. Remember the GooPhone i5? That looked pretty decent too!

I've never seen anything stating any safety differences between removable and non-removable. Non-removable generally have a longer life but are massively more costly if/when you need to replace them. They allow slightly thinner designs at the same capacity, which is why Apple uses them. They both have their pros and cons.

post #25 of 81
Quote:

It makes sense if they've bought into the hype that "bigger" is a must. Granted that's countered by the actual sales figures of SIII's versus the worldwide sales of  iPhone 4s's and iPhone 5's but evenso the clamor for a bigger iPhone keeps intensifying. Despite my view that Apple HAS released a "bigger" iPhone" the iPad mini LTE. Cheaper to operate without the voice contract and really, who buys a phablet to hold that slab up to their head to talk into it? Which leaves a niche for bluetooth headset users.

post #26 of 81
Quote:

Not. They will sell millions of these, and millions of the Note. They are completely different devices, one has a pen. You will find people with both (sad but true).

The note screen will be even bigger. 

And you can bet that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that buys the s4 has no idea about anything tech related, just like with the s3.

post #27 of 81

The S IV is not going to sell well.  Samsung is having a problem with its width.  You can see that Samsung dare not make the S IV wider than S III.

post #28 of 81

So this is the innovation androidfans were waiting for ?

post #29 of 81
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
Samsung is having a problem with its width.  You can see that Samsung dare not make the S IV wider than S III.

"But but but but but but but but but but but but no one uses their phone with one hand, anyway!"

post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The S IV is not going to sell well.  Samsung is having a problem with its width.  You can see that Samsung dare not make the S IV wider than S III.

IIRC Samsung even guided that. Noting it's smartphone earnings were not going to be all that.

post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Bluetooth and speaker options aside, you are forgetting that more and more people are using these "phones" as computers. Even the kids in the AT&T commercials understand bigger is better.  The screen is now far more important than some imagined embarrassment you may feel about holding it up to your head in public. Are you also afraid to ever use a landline type phone for that same fear? I am a current iPhone user and Apple might have counted my purchase as an affirmation that I do not want a bigger display and they would be wrong. I prefer iOS over Android but most definitely do not prefer a 4" display over a larger one. Now that talking on the phone is becoming far less important a bigger display just is far more appealing. The iPad Mini LTE option is not the answer either. The fact that you even suggest that as an alternative amazes me. There is a huge gap between the two leaving aside the need to still have traditional voice service even if it is used less frequently it is still essential. How would you call 911 on an iPad Mini LTE for example? I can carry a phone like the S3 or S4 in my pocket but cannot carry an iPad Mini as easily. 

Whether I am alone or one of tens of millions of other disgruntled and impatient iPhone owners waiting for that elusive iPhone+ with a display somewhere around 4.5" to 5" I do not know. But I will reluctantly abandon the phone OS I prefer to get the display I need. I will wait and see what Apple has in store this year but if they don't release a larger iPhone than 4" I have to buy a phone that works for me and that most certainly is not another 4" display which annoys me daily at how small things look. I can't buy new eyes but I can buy a new phone. 

You contradict yourself: a "computer" usage isn't a voice telephone usage. So then a mini, with LTE for a greater availability of connectivity is a completely valid option for "more and more people are using these "phones" as computers" alongside "Now that talking on the phone is becoming far less important a bigger display just is far more appealing.".  I acknowledged there's a potential niche market. But as the recent sales figures show, a phablet market isn't all that huge in relative terms. So sure, maybe why not? Add voice, with it's added huge expenses in contracts, to the mini with it's larger, more easily readable,  screen. But I suspect it won't be a blockbuster product.

post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Ugly phone IMO!  Its all on media now, how to bash S4 on every news article and crowd will automatically stay away and stick with great Apple products.

As far as I know rich and growing class people are staying with apple. Class which is being dragged down in such economy prefers Samdung (Korean)! 

Rich and Growing Class buys it all- Mac, iphone, ipad so that they can use whatever screen size they want.

Lagging Class- Buys big screen Samdung (They hope for laptop,tablet,phone-all in one). They may buy one $300 windows laptop or $100-200- Kindle fire/Google.

This is my observation!

Ignoring your blatant emotional attachment to a brand, I think you have an interesting observation.  People who think rationally about how they spend their money, and how many devices they have to carry with them, do tend to think about consolidating their computing devices.

post #33 of 81
Originally Posted by iPhoneFiver View Post
People who think rationally about how they spend their money, and how many devices they have to carry with them, do tend to think about consolidating their computing devices.

That'd be why they buy Apple products.

post #34 of 81

yeah, the teenage armies all over the world will be really intimidated by that....:D

get it: kids buy larger screen, they are the future customers as well, Apple misunderstood them and failed miserably. The End.

post #35 of 81
Originally Posted by poksi View Post
get it: kids buy larger screen, they are the future customers as well, Apple misunderstood them and failed miserably. The End.

Citation needed.

post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Sure.... If that's what you 'need' to tell yourself.

It's so interesting to read all these naysayer comments when it's not even known if this is even the real device... So Much Panic - LOL!

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #37 of 81

Samsung is actually surprise to me. THey are copycats, of course, but they are very pragmatic. THey are not cowards, like Apple, who doesn't dare to produce more than one casing, they have filled all the product line gaps and they don't complain over logistics.

I would say Apple has a lot to learn from them, but this would be ridiculous: if they haven't up to now, then they have no clue, really...

post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

yeah, the teenage armies all over the world will be really intimidated by that....:D

post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Citation needed.

Sorry, will be more careful!  1wink.gif

post #40 of 81
No one mentions the price yet. It could be a shock for Apple outside of the US that is without subsidy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch