or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IDC projects Android tablets will pass Apple's iPad this year, sees little good news for Microsoft
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IDC projects Android tablets will pass Apple's iPad this year, sees little good news for Microsoft - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156423/idc-projects-android-tablets-will-pass-apples-ipad-this-year-sees-little-good-news-for-microsoft#post_2291982"]I feel real sorry for all of the people stuck with a miserable Android tablet. Can you imagine all of the unhappy and crying kids who got some cheap Android tablet for Christmas? lol.gif  All of their friends had iPads or iPod Touches or iPhones and the kids were literally down on their knees begging their parents for the same. I would never treat any kids of mine that poorly. Child abuse comes in many forms, not just physical abuse.

Android's numbers have always been hyped and misrepresented since the beginning of time. You can't trust any Android numbers at all. We've seen how the game has played out these last few years. 

Here's yet again, another study, where projections are being made, and it's totally useless and meaningless. Anybody can pull random numbers out of their ass. And if Android sales are going so great, why is it that every manufacturer is scared shitless, and refuses to actually report how many that they have sold? Most people weren't born yesterday, and only a naive fool could possibly believe that Android is a prosperous platform.

One little piece of good news recently is that at least when I am taking my next flight, the probability of a Fandroid sitting next to me is extremely low, since it is now known that Fandroids are allergic to high altitudes and it is also known that they're also allergic to opening up their wallets, though that last bit has been known for quite some time now.

I also read that Google laid off 1,200 workers (motorola mobility), yep, Google/Android is going great. I expect the stock to jump up at least 5% based on this news.

Anyone can pull random statements out of their arses. You are living proof.

Do you really think Android users are unhappy with their devices?

I only have 1st gen Android Tablet, original Asus Transformer. Since I've got 1st gen iPad for my mum 3 years back (and used it long enough to get to know it), it was my opinion that Transformer was definitely better device for me. It wasn't even my choice - I got it as a gift - but I was actually happy our "benefactor" didn't bring us iPad 1. Transformer's screen was nicer to my eyes, with resolution higher enough to be noticeable. Device had both cameras for Skype etc. Expandable storage. Updates were pushed to it without need to plug it to PC. SD card made it easier to copy content from my and other PCs. I could have Flash disabled, on demand or permanently on.

Granted iPad developed nicely over the years, but so did Android tablets.

I really hope you were just trying to be Justin-Long-funny in your post, but have you been serious, man are you delusional.
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post

We bought a Galaxy Tab because we needed to be able to talk to the poor soles who use our software

Freudian slip? 1wink.gif

post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailorg View Post

One point, due to the complete de-googling that Amazon does to their Kindle Fire tablets, wouldn't simply classifying Kindle Fire tablets simply as Android tablets be a bit like classifying Mac OS X as UNIX when compiling PC OS statistics?

I mean, technically it's correct, but it doesn't really tell the whole story.

I'm not sure that really matters anyway because nobody but Amazon really knows how many Fires were sold. And not returned.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Didn't IDC said the same thing since 2011 and 2012, with a few differences:

 

- The iPad share would be even lower,

- Windows share would be higher.

 

Poor trolls.

 

Frankly, i don't care if apple sells 1 million or 1 trillion devices as long as they are healthy. The only thing I care is about good products from them, and OSX deserves an update.

IDC pulls numbers out of its butt. and then never explains next year why they were wrong last year. nice work if you can get it.

 

but the really huge joke this time is projecting a 3% share for Windows RT and 7% share for Windows Pro in 4 years - a 10% total! how much does MS pay them for this smelly poop? RT won't even survive past 2014, and the Pro will be lucky to ever take more than 1% of the market.

post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

I remember when people laughed at the idea of Android phone out selling iPhones. The current breed of Android tablets are just as good as the iPad. The software is lacking but that is rapidly changing. The IDC may have there dates wrong but it's inevitable.

However in the end why should you care does it make your tablet less enjoyable?

Two differences between tablet and smart phone markets: Free w/ contract Or used as a phone only.

In addition no single Android model outsells the current iPhone. 70% profits as well
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post
Do you really think Android users are unhappy with their devices?
 

In general, I think yes.  It is the most logical explanation to offer of their usage on the web actually declining.  Not holding steady but actually declining.

post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

I remember when people laughed at the idea of Android phone out selling iPhones. The current breed of Android tablets are just as good as the iPad.

So would you say the current breed of Android phones are as good as the iPhone?

And I mean ALL Android phones... not just flagship phones like the Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II.

That includes all those cheap little Android phones sold today around the world... with 480x320 screens and VGA cameras. There are a TON of them that are sold for $150 unlocked.

Those make up the majority of the Android phones that are "outselling" the iPhone... FYI

So is it really the number of phones that is the most important thing? Or the quality of phones? Or how people use them? Or if they use them? Or how often they pay developers for apps?

Because I'm not seeing Android phones DO anything with those colossal sales other than being able to SAY they have "outsold the iPhone"
post #48 of 62
Yet another Bullshit study by IDC. They pull these numbers out of there arse. No Android vendor even posts shipped units and not one of them posts sold. Every IDC study I have ever seen or read always puts iOS in the worst possible light and always on the loosing end. Even when 10 other studies show the exact opposite. If I didnt know better I would think that IDC has a vendetta against Apple. I would not trust any report they publish.
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Didn't IDC said the same thing since 2011 and 2012, with a few differences:

 

- The iPad share would be even lower,

- Windows share would be higher.

 

Poor trolls.

 

Frankly, i don't care if apple sells 1 million or 1 trillion devices as long as they are healthy. The only thing I care is about good products from them, and OSX deserves an update.

Yes they did and they have been low balling apples share for years.  They seriously need to fire there entire survey staff and start over.

 

There like the proud mother watching her son march in a marching band in a parade and seeing that he is out of step with the band tells people "Look there all out of step but Jim".  Lol.


Edited by Mechanic - 3/12/13 at 5:48pm
post #50 of 62

Here is a really good piece by Horace Dediu at Asymco  about Googles bogus android activation numbers as well  its a very good read entitled "Where are the Android Users".   It goes into great depth about how googles activation numbers dont hold up agains close scrutiny.  Horace is very good at numbers that is his job.

 

http://www.asymco.com/2013/03/11/where-are-the-android-users/

 

Android vendors put up a huge smoke screen hoping that if they say the bs long enough people will believe it.

It was funny in the trial with Apple,  Samsung was forced to reveal there actual sales numbers and they were horrible, and a lot lower than the public was led to believe.

 

Samsung does sell a lot of phones but the gulf between shipped and sold is huge.

 

During that trial Information submitted by Samsung indicates that between June 2010 and June 2012, 21.25 million phones were sold in the United States, generating a total revenue of $7.5 billion. 

Apple Sold 85 million iPhones and 46 million iPod touches for a combined revenue of $60.3 billion during the same period.

Galaxy Tabs didn’t seem to do nearly as well. They sold 1.4 million in total, generating a much lower revenue of $644 million during the same period.

Apple sold 34 million iPads in the United States since 2010, generating $19 billion in revenue.

 

Those numbers are fact.  They were entered into evidence in court against Samsungs wishes.

Apple had to compete against other Android vendors too but still owns 53% of the us market last quarter in Smart Phone sales in the US.

 

My point in all this is that Google fudges there activation numbers in a huge way, and Android vendors dont reveal what they ship or sell, so reports like IDC's are bogus before there even published.

 


Edited by Mechanic - 3/12/13 at 6:01pm
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Here is a really good piece by Horace Dediu at Asymco  about Googles bogus android activation numbers as well  its a very good read entitled "Where are the Android Users".   It goes into great depth about how googles activation numbers dont hold up agains close scrutiny.  Horace is very good at numbers that is his job.

 

http://www.asymco.com/2013/03/11/where-are-the-android-users/

Is that what he's saying, or is it that he estimates the growth of Android is primarily outside the US? I think it's the latter.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #52 of 62

I just can't help thinking that in the labs of Google, Samsung, Dell, Amazon, Nook, Blackberry, HP, Dell, Sony, HTC, Nokia, MS, LG, Lenova, Asis, etc., is the latest dissected iPad, iPad mini, iP5 and an MBA. And they are all busy reverse engineering them.

 

All they have created, so far, are poor, clunky copies.

 

 

But, what is in Apple's lab?

 

 

Answer: The next generation(s) of iPads and iPhones.

 

:)

post #53 of 62
Quote:
Is that what he's saying, or is it that he estimates the growth of Android is primarily outside the US? I think it's the latter.

 

 

 

The article puts in plain detail that the numbers just dont add up, here in the US were led to believe that in most surveys that iOS is lagging behind, and like this article by IDC anyone including google can count there activations, shipments and any other number they want to make up as real.  Sadly there not.  Apple is the only vendor that reports actual sales and activations and for now is the only vendors numbers that can be relied on.  Android has a lot more phones out there and that is obvious but just not the huge unreal numbers analysts would have everyone believe.   They would be better served if they started there surveys with "We think this is how many".  But then that would not lend itself to becoming click bate.

post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Huh. Haven't heard that one before.

Just made it up, I thought it would be approipriate.

post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Here is a really good piece by Horace Dediu at Asymco  about Googles bogus android activation numbers as well  its a very good read entitled "Where are the Android Users".   It goes into great depth about how googles activation numbers dont hold up agains close scrutiny.  

 

Quite the contrary, he takes Google's numbers at face value.

 

All he's saying is that iPhone USA vs iPhone world sales, are a higher percentage, than Android's US vs world percentage.   In other words, Apple sells well in the USA, while Android sells far more outside the USA.  Which we all knew.   He summarizes this in his last paragraph:

 

Quote:

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the fact that the US is one of the few (but largest) market where the iPhone is available as a “low end” offering. At a minimum price of $0 (with a contract) many consumers are finding the iPhone attractive relative to a $0 (with a contract) Android phone. This price parity (illusory as it may be) allows iPhone to grow even faster than Android in this particular market.  -   Horace Dediu

 

As for the trial sales numbers, they also match with what he found above:  that the low USA tablet sales numbers made sense, as most of the sales were outside the USA.

post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quite the contrary, he takes Google's numbers at face value.


As for the trial sales numbers, they also match with what he found above:  that the low USA tablet sales numbers made sense, as most of the sales were outside the USA.

But that doesn't add up either. Tablets, to my knowledge, aren't subsidized much in the world. If the world mostly buys cheap androids, I can't see them buying android tablets.
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


So would you say the current breed of Android phones are as good as the iPhone?

And I mean ALL Android phones... not just flagship phones like the Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II.

That includes all those cheap little Android phones sold today around the world... with 480x320 screens and VGA cameras. There are a TON of them that are sold for $150 unlocked.

Those make up the majority of the Android phones that are "outselling" the iPhone... FYI

So is it really the number of phones that is the most important thing? Or the quality of phones? Or how people use them? Or if they use them? Or how often they pay developers for apps?

Because I'm not seeing Android phones DO anything with those colossal sales other than being able to SAY they have "outsold the iPhone"

 

Actually the current breed of Android phones are heaps better than the iPhone. What are you comparing an Architecture to a device... do you even understand the difference?

 

You can splice and dice numbers anyway you want to suit your argument and that is fine.  At the end of the day what does it matter.... does the fact Android out sells IOS make you enjoy your device any less?

post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

You can splice and dice numbers anyway you want to suit your argument and that is fine.  At the end of the day what does it matter.... does the fact Android out sells IOS make you enjoy your device any less?

That's kinda my point.

Android phones collectively outselling Apple phones don't really hurt anyone at all.
post #59 of 62
These are the same clowns that once said (pre-iPad), just because Apple introduces a tablet doesn't mean they'll do any better than all the other failed tablet attempts. Oops, wrong again. Don't you analysts ever get tired of being wrong? Leave technology to people with brains.
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

These are the same clowns that once said (pre-iPad), just because Apple introduces a tablet doesn't mean they'll do any better than all the other failed tablet attempts. Oops, wrong again. Don't you analysts ever get tired of being wrong? Leave technology to people with brains.

Let's not forget they were also predicting it being a complete failure after it was announced and released. The most common reason given was because it wasn't like all the failed Win tablets that came before it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

 

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Microsoft wants it.  Single-digit share.

 

And why does Microsoft want low Surface sales volumes?  Because software pricing for Surface is lower than for legacy PCs.  For apps as well as the OS itself.  And that means that Microsoft is screwed either way. Either Surface takes off and cannibalizes the higher-margin legacy PC software market, or Surface just plods along in the "other" slice of the post-PC pie and iPad cannibalizes the higher-margin legacy PC software market.  Either way, Microsoft loses software revenue, their bread-and-butter "core competency."  Therefore, the middle path is the best path.  Sell Surface in mediocre numbers.  Split the difference.  Gradually amortize the development cost.

 

And why would Microsoft want to keep on shipping Surface despite low volumes and profits?  To maintain the image of being a 21st-century company.  To make it look like they actually care about the post-PC era at all.  To go through the motions of being modern while being trapped by their legacy desktop Windows + Office + enterprise software businesses.  Where "enterprise" is a euphemism for "technologically frozen in time."  All to keep themselves in the news somehow, anyhow.  Because Windows 8 certainly isn't doing it for them.

The "single-digit share" strategy has worked well for Apple in the past, so why wouldn't Microsoft try to copy it?

post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Android tablets being used differently than iPads?  How?  My thoughts are they aren't using them long after they buy them because there really isn't much you do with one.  Maybe play some free games.

 

I went to a doctor's office few weeks ago.  They use android tablet for patient to register and sign-in.  Cool stuff.  

I asked why not use ipads?  They said that people steal ipads but not android tablets.  Hahaha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • IDC projects Android tablets will pass Apple's iPad this year, sees little good news for Microsoft
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › IDC projects Android tablets will pass Apple's iPad this year, sees little good news for Microsoft