or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities

Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities - Page 2

post #41 of 99
I was just coming back from Shenzhen China.

Because of the bad press about Apple Maps I also downloaded Nokia "Here Maps" on my iPhone.

Nokia Here Maps location where wrong for almost 2 blocks in that city! That was very confusing.

Apple maps was fine! Seems all maps have their problems.
But not all map have this "bad press mafia"
post #42 of 99

there is a whole region of europe - balkan states - that is completely uncovered by either maps or data. looking at the map it would seem that there's just a couple of highways there and nothing else. google maps are pretty detailed in the same region, both by maps and points of interests data.

which is a problem not only for apple maps application, but also for 3rd party apps that use mapkit. reverse geocoding doesn't work (it worked before, and even now works in ios < 6), embedded maps doesn't work. so, outside of us, western europe, japan, australia and some other isolated points of the world, apple maps are plain unusable. 

post #43 of 99

Flyover is very pretty but I've yet to find a practical use for it. Perhaps that's because I live in a city that's not very driver friendly. 

post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorby23 View Post

there is a whole region of europe - balkan states - that is completely uncovered by either maps or data. looking at the map it would seem that there's just a couple of highways there and nothing else. google maps are pretty detailed in the same region, both by maps and points of interests data.

which is a problem not only for apple maps application, but also for 3rd party apps that use mapkit. reverse geocoding doesn't work (it worked before, and even now works in ios < 6), embedded maps doesn't work. so, outside of us, western europe, japan, australia and some other isolated points of the world, apple maps are plain unusable. 

It's useable in Asia. On par with Google map. About showing a couple of highways, do you know how to zoom? Could you show us the places?

post #45 of 99

I just checked out the Hover Dam on my mac using Google maps. Well...  You can see for yourself. What's up with that bridge!

post #46 of 99
Buffalo doesn't seem to be enabled for me. Cleveland and Albany are.. I wonder if the changes take awhile to propagate?
post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Flyover is very pretty but I've yet to find a practical use for it. Perhaps that's because I live in a city that's not very driver friendly. 

There are some neat and useful possibilities...

Here's an app that uses the Apple MapKit API to display the Stations on the Victoria Line of the London Underground:

Here it is with a route planned

And in 3D Map view

And in 3D Flyover view

So, you could be planning or riding the Underground and follow along in 3D Flyover of the Surface...  might decide to get off and explore a bit...

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 3/13/13 at 4:25am
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Sure, That's why Google is trying to copy it but can't. 1smile.gif
In the mean time, you sir are in denial.
I prefer to zoom in with FlyOver in Apple Maps than to use StreetView.  I don't use Google Maps anymore on iOS.
Once Apple Maps is available on OS X I will use it there as well instead of Google Maps.
With so many Maps available nowadays, I think Apple Maps is very rich and yet has amazing potential.

In denial? Are you feeling ok today? I live in Hong Kong, Apple maps is useless here. In addition, street view is a must in finding locations in this densely packed city. Addresses are commonly building names, Apple Maps has no building names so address are impossible to find. I spend a lot of time in Australia, GM is far better there. I travel in the course of my work worldwide (aviation), i can barely ever use Apple maps unless I'm in the US or Canada.
You just don't have the experience to comment with any authority.
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

One more thing - seriously, flyover in Modesto and Stockton? Really?

What's next? Flyover in Gary, Indiana? Compton, CA? Queens, NY? a garbage dump? LOL

Queens is probably not a good example for your sarcasm. With 2.25 Million people living there, its population is greater than most entire cities (in the US, only Los Angeles (3.8M), Chicago (2.7M) and Brooklyn (2.5M) have greater populations), and it's much easier to get lost in than Manhattan (1.7M).

post #50 of 99
Aghrrrr. I would expect more from this site. Apple had no choice in the matter of dumping Google for its own turn-by-turn navigation system. Google held Apple hostage with an antiquated app for iOS, while they delivered state-of-the-art app on Android. If Apple had not broken away and delivered their own, arch rival Google would not have then capitulated and delivered what they should have 2 years ago.

As an Apple fan, the iOS app is just fine, thank you. And Google is out the search $$$.
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Seeing Modesto and Stockton on the list makes me wonder how they are assigning priority to Maps improvements.

I'm sure they start with where their users live based on AppleID info and/or iOS device usage.

post #52 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So, you could be planning or riding the Underground and follow along in 3D Flyover of the Surface...  might decide to get off and explore a bit...

That's very, very cool but still limited practical use. It's also not very helpful when travelling on the Victoria Line. The tunnels don't have wifi and the entire line is deep underground (so no mobile or GPS signal either).

post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Perhaps he/she means that the maps are blank not in terms of streets but business/POI data. That's largely been my experience. Apple Maps is decent for roads but for my purposes has been fairly useless in terms of finding businesses I look up. Others seem fine with it so clearly very dependent on user location and search habits.

I found that here in Germany even in small villages a lot of POIs popped up recently.

post #54 of 99

Big deal. It's neat, but not overly useful for most of us.

post #55 of 99
Strange that Minneapolis has Satellite flyover, but no 3D on the Standard View. Hmm, that also applies to Modesto, Stockton, hmm, many more. Probably goes online one after the other...
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #56 of 99
Quote:

There are some neat and useful possibilities...

Here's an app that uses the Apple MapKit API to display the Stations on the Victoria Line of the London Underground:

Here it is with a route planned

And in 3D Map view

And in 3D Flyover view

Excellent explanation of why it is useful. The detractors that say there is no use for Flyover seem to forget there are occasions when you are not in your own neck of the woods. One thing I have noticed in US cities I go to on business or vacations is the number of places not yet listing themselves on the map. For example a great restaurant I happen to know is on a particular street has no food icon yet. Not sure how that works regarding getting more data onto the maps.

I also want this on OS X! Anyone listening there in Apple HQ?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Quote:

That's very, very cool but still limited practical use. It's also not very helpful when travelling on the Victoria Line. The tunnels don't have wifi and the entire line is deep underground (so no mobile or GPS signal either).

Build it and they will come...

I wouldn't be surprised if, before long, you will be able to download Apple Maps to your iDevice -- vector based maps are quite efficient.

I suspect that if there is a need/demand for WiFi in the undergrounds of the world -- that too will happen.  They could use the lat/lon of the stations & compute the location between stations.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #58 of 99
Flyover has no practical use at all and by the time it covers enough areas, the competition will be away ahead. Apple need to focus on the navigation accuracy. It has been ages since maps was launched and Marlborough, Wiltshire, England still appears as 'Ogbourne Saint Andrew', a village a few miles away. The navigation interface and voice clarity are great, but it's no good if the underlying data is useless! It's a bit like having a pretty but thick woman as your nagging passenger!
post #59 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Excellent explanation of why it is useful. The detractors that say there is no use for Flyover seem to forget there are occasions when you are not in your own neck of the woods.

The really funny thing is that many of the people who say that there's no need for flyover view insist that street view is absolutely critical and no one could possibly use a mapping program that doesn't offer street view.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that Minneapolis has Satellite flyover, but no 3D on the Standard View. Hmm, that also applies to Modesto, Stockton, hmm, many more. Probably goes online one after the other...

St. Louis Park (pop 48,000), a suburb of Minneapolis, has 3D Flyover...

Minneapolis downtown has an interesting feature called "Skywalks".  The 3rd floors of many buildings are interconnected with enclosed walkways (wide hallways).  These bridge downtown streets and connect the public area of the buildings.  

It is great!  You can stay at a hotel, take your morning constitutional, shop and walk to a business meeting without ever going outside == nice in winter and summer.

Someone creative will create routing directions & POIs for the Skywalks.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #61 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Where? The question is still valid.

Speaking only for myself, the northern Greater Toronto Area has been a real failure in my experiences with Apple Maps.  I absolutely have to use Google Maps for business info to get results (navigation is generally just fine with Apple Maps, though).  I would much much rather use Apple Maps if the data was decent, though.  

I've also had a handful of issues in Florida and Washington DC but haven't used it there long enough to really draw a solid conclusion.  

post #62 of 99
Quote:

Minneapolis downtown has an interesting feature called "Skywalks".  The 3rd floors of many buildings are interconnected with enclosed walkways (wide hallways).  These bridge downtown streets and connect the public area of the buildings.  

It is great!  You can stay at a hotel, take your morning constitutional, shop and walk to a business meeting without ever going outside == nice in winter and summer.

I know, I was there, in 1993. Great people over there! I also saw a homeless walking down 5th Ave, singing Prince's Darling Nikki.
Quote:

That would be nice. There's already a map for that, dontcha know? http://www.skywaymyway.com
post #63 of 99

Some pretty jazzy trees being rendered in London, with pavements and roads leading up the trunks.

censored

censored

post #64 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

I know, I was there, in 1993. Great people over there! I also saw a homeless walking down 5th Ave, singing Prince's Darling Nikki.
Quote:

That would be nice. There's already a map for that, dontcha know? http://www.skywaymyway.com

LOL!  You write funny... Oops, I dasn't say that (I shan't do it again)...  I didn'tcha know about the map... Thanks for the link.    I grew up there until age 10.   Last time I was there was 1986... still a great place then.

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 3/13/13 at 6:34am
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #65 of 99
Alright Tulsa!
post #66 of 99
And how about Brazil? Ok, I already knew... :-(
post #67 of 99
3D Flyover is useful even where Apple has yet to map an area for 3D...

For example, the movie below shows a hotel where my late wife and I liked to stay.   

The purple pin at the top is a little grassy area where we would start our morning walks...

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 3/13/13 at 2:17pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #68 of 99
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post
Flyover has no practical use at all…

Abject nonsense.

and by the time it covers enough areas, the competition will be away ahead.

No one else is doing interactive 3D mapping, so good luck with that.

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post
The urban myth about Street View on iOS continues... Street View was NEVER available on iOS... It was not 'lost' when Apple went to its own mapping device...

OFFICIAL STUPIDEST COMMENT OF THE THREAD AWARD WINNER.

Gonna leave it up so that people can see, but in the future this sort of dreck needs to be reported by people…

Edited by Tallest Skil - 3/13/13 at 7:07am

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #69 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What they need to do is to reality check all the Yelp-sourced POIs and location data.  Or replace the Yelp location data entirely.

The problem with this is that Apple has secured multiple data sources including Acxiom, Factual and Localeze. Yelp only provides business reviews. Acxiom, Factual and Localeze are data aggregators and are considered the authoritative sources for business listings even more so than Google.

Wherever the POI data originally came from, they need to verify all of the location data associated with it.  What makes Apple Maps the butt of jokes is that it tends to drop the red pins hundreds of yards away from actual business locations, which is all but obvious in hybrid map view.  Given an actual address, Apple Maps seem to do OK, but given a business name and city, it's literally all over the map (no pun intended).  Eddy Cue needs to make it his top priority have the maps team verify all their business listings, and then reconcile those to their actual physical locations.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #70 of 99

Fly over? Wow. Crappy maps that look great... Just what we need....

Edited by sapporobabyrtrns - 3/13/13 at 11:10am
post #71 of 99

Just had a look at the Golden gate bridge in 3D view - and it's got a pretty bad droop. Strange that it would be so bad and in Apple's back yard. 

post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Just had a look at the Golden gate bridge in 3D view - and it's got a pretty bad droop. Strange that it would be so bad and in Apple's back yard. 

I checked this just now and it looks perfectly fine in 3D view for me.  And in 2D satellite view as well.

post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... One thing I have noticed in US cities I go to on business or vacations is the number of places not yet listing themselves on the map. For example a great restaurant I happen to know is on a particular street has no food icon yet. ...

It should, however, be pointed out that Google Maps also does not list every single "POI" in existence, not to mention that some number of the ones it does show no longer exist at that location.

So, this is not a criticism that is unique to Apple Maps. This is a problem that all mapping software faces, and they all have their own problems with it.

post #74 of 99
Quote:

Wherever the POI data originally came from, they need to verify all of the location data associated with it.  What makes Apple Maps the butt of jokes is that it tends to drop the red pins hundreds of yards away from actual business locations, which is all but obvious in hybrid map view.  Given an actual address, Apple Maps seem to do OK, but given a business name and city, it's literally all over the map (no pun intended).  Eddy Cue needs to make it his top priority have the maps team verify all their business listings, and then reconcile those to their actual physical locations.

The irony of that statement is that it is very likely that the majority of the data is originally from.... Google. Google is a major contributor to Acxiom, Factual and Localeze. Acxiom and Localeze allow users to register directly however.
post #75 of 99
Quote:

I checked this just now and it looks perfectly fine in 3D view for me.  And in 2D satellite view as well.

I just had another look - about an hour after I previously saw it and it renders fine now. Hmmm. Wonder how it all works? Could the server have had trouble sending the data to my iPad earlier for some reason? 

post #76 of 99

Apple Maps still has a lot of issues.  The business location markers around my neighborhood are riddled with errors -- place markers in the wrong locations, closed businesses, incorrect addresses, etc.  I've sent problem reports to Apple repeatedly over the last two months, and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS BEEN CORRECTED.  The Flyover feature is cool, and the maps themselves load up faster and scale better than before.  But, even with these improvements, the Apple Maps remain less accurate (for business locations) and less useful (i.e., less detailed traffic maps, no Street View, and no transit directions). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

The maps still says I live directly next to Parkway golf course in Fremont, a golf course which is actually about 2 miles up the street from me.

I live fairly close to both and neither are major cities. They're both small towns compared to the rest of the Bay Area. So it is odd they would pick those towns instead of higher populated areas like San Jose or Palo Alto (which is also small but is a busy lil town) or even Oakland.

Modesto and Stockton are both the population and economic centers for their own Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  The Modesto MSA has a population of 500k, while the Stockton MSA has a population of 700k. 

FYI, nearly all of Oakland and San Jose are already covered (and have been for at least the last couple of months), and Palo Alto has the downtown area and most of the major employment centers covered.  So, I don't know why you would think that Apple is including Modesto and Stockton at the expense of those other areas. 

post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Google Maps still has a lot of issues.  The business location markers around my neighborhood are riddled with errors -- place markers in the wrong locations, closed businesses, incorrect addresses, etc.  ...

There, I fixed it for you.

post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, nice bit of selective editing there.  In my neighborhood, the Google Maps are more accurate than the Apple Maps, and it's not even close.  I started reporting these errors in my neighborhood to Apple more than two months ago.  I thought that given all the negative attention that Apple Maps has drawn, they would be motivated to correct these kinds of obvious mistakes as quickly as possible.  To date, nothing that I submitted has been corrected.  And then there remain the other issues that I cited. 

post #79 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

I just had another look - about an hour after I previously saw it and it renders fine now. Hmmm. Wonder how it all works? Could the server have had trouble sending the data to my iPad earlier for some reason? 

You probably didn't give the app enough time to re-render the image after zooming in.  Most buildings I see with janky outlines will usually look fine once the finer details are rendered. 

post #80 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Google Maps still has a lot of issues.  The business location markers around my neighborhood are riddled with errors -- place markers in the wrong locations, closed businesses, incorrect addresses, etc.  ...

You are such a hater. Jeez!

Try this, if you can stand using Google Maps for 10 seconds: From the default screen with no particular region selected, type in the search "Amador Causeway" or if you prefer "Caiz de Amador".

Then try that on Apple Maps. All I get is "No Results Found" where as in Google I get the exact location zoomed into a street view. Also if you go to that same location in Apple Maps, which by the way, is one of the most popular destinations in my country, you will see nothing, zip, nada, no streets or POI whatsoever.

Just because Apple Maps works well in some locations, which I mostly disagree with since I think it is much inferior to Google Maps in every regard, it certainly doesn't mean it is functional in many, many regions around the world. Google simply has vastly more data than Apple. I admit Apple Maps has decent data in Orange County CA, but it still isn't as good as Google's, at least in my opinion.

I try to keep an open mind about evaluating different software offerings but Apple Maps is just so clearly inferior when it comes to actual hard data that I would never recommend it, although, I highly recommend almost everything else Apple makes, well except maybe iCloud.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities