or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities

Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities - Page 3

post #81 of 99
Back to sleep.

Apple Maps is so far beyond useless in the UK it makes me cringe and get very angry. Completely useless POI and the lack of numbering the main junctions of the motorway network is farcical. Missing tube stations poor poor poor icons and information make it far more difficult to use.

Unfortunately I cannot see this ever being anything more than useless until they change how they rank certain roads and display them, ignoring the woeful POI information.
post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I bet this summer.
They will probably have a Maps application and a web interface.

Hope so, I can't wait to use it on a big screen 1smile.gif Then I want to be able to use it in conjunction with Second Life and bring my avatar over for a walk about 1biggrin.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #83 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

St. Louis Park (pop 48,000), a suburb of Minneapolis, has 3D Flyover...

Minneapolis downtown has an interesting feature called "Skywalks".  The 3rd floors of many buildings are interconnected with enclosed walkways (wide hallways).  These bridge downtown streets and connect the public area of the buildings.  

It is great!  You can stay at a hotel, take your morning constitutional, shop and walk to a business meeting without ever going outside == nice in winter and summer.

Someone creative will create routing directions & POIs for the Skywalks.

Boston has a really mini version of this too, I agree it's very nice when it is minus three trillion degrees outside.
post #84 of 99
Quote:

3D Flyover is useful even where Apple has yet to map an area for 3D...

For example, the movie below shows a hotel where my late wife and I liked to stay.   

The purple pin at the top is a little grassy area where we would start our morning walks...

AAgghhhh ... another vertically oriented video ... 1wink.gif ... I am currently trying to convince my daughter to stop filming our new granddaughter with the iPhone held vertically, I can't seem to get through to her the concept of "It will fill the bl**dy HDTV screen if you hold it horizontally!" I just can't seem to explain it.

Nice spot wouldn't go near that purple pin after a few drinks though it looks a long way dooooowwwwnnnnnn.
post #85 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

Back to sleep.

Apple Maps is so far beyond useless in the UK it makes me cringe and get very angry. Completely useless POI and the lack of numbering the main junctions of the motorway network is farcical. Missing tube stations poor poor poor icons and information make it far more difficult to use.

Unfortunately I cannot see this ever being anything more than useless until they change how they rank certain roads and display them, ignoring the woeful POI information.

Come on now, the UK is all snow and ice these days isn't it? Who can find roads let alone the signs anyway? 1wink.gif
post #86 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

3D Flyover is useful even where Apple has yet to map an area for 3D...

For example, the movie below shows a hotel where my late wife and I liked to stay.   

The purple pin at the top is a little grassy area where we would start our morning walks...

AAgghhhh ... another vertically oriented video ... 1wink.gif ... I am currently trying to convince my daughter to stop filming our new granddaughter with the iPhone held vertically, I can't seem to get through to her the concept of "It will fill the bl**dy HDTV screen if you hold it horizontally!" I just can't seem to explain it.

Nice spot wouldn't go near that purple pin after a few drinks though it looks a long way dooooowwwwnnnnnn.

I hardly ever do a  portrait video -- the 3D  drop off effect was better than with landscape.

The El Tovar hotel has a bar that overlooks the canyon...

Our first time there was during a blizzard.... we spent a lot of time in that bar.

The next morning, there was bright sun on top... And, below in the  canyon were clouds and it was snowing... awesome!

They say the best way to experience the canyon is to arrive by train  on a moonless night...  then in the morning, "How did that get there?"

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #87 of 99
Quote:

I hardly ever do a  portrait video -- the 3D  drop off effect was better than with landscape.

The El Tovar hotel has a bar that overlooks the canyon...

Our first time there was during a blizzard.... we spent a lot of time in that bar.

The next morning, there was bright sun on top... And, below in the  canyon were clouds and it was snowing... awesome!

They say the best way to experience the canyon is to arrive by train  on a moonless night...  then in the morning, "How did that get there?"

Sounds beautiful and tranquil. You know if you take Apple's flyover and combine it with Googles StreetView of the Grand Canyon you get the best of both worlds.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/gallery/grand-canyon/phantom-ranch-view-2.html

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #88 of 99
Quote:

How did you record / create the video? There's a screen recording app on the store? Or did you do it Old School, with cables? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3q9_Bx2Kw (< turn sound off) Eventhough it's in portrait mode, I like your video, you betcha!
post #89 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Who can find roads let alone the signs anyway? 1wink.gif

post #90 of 99

What?? Lyon but not Paris?? Cologne but not Berlin?? Indianapolis but not Washington nor New-York?? Do they have any sense of priority?? I mean, Lyon! The most useless city in France

post #91 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

What?? Lyon but not Paris?? Cologne but not Berlin?? Indianapolis but not Washington nor New-York?? Do they have any sense of priority?? I mean, Lyon! The most useless city in France

Lyon already had flyover, they merely expanded the area.

OT, I don't think the city is 'useless', it's just awkward to be on the highway and all of a sudden you drive through the city!
post #92 of 99
I remember when Google Earth was a revolution!
"Look! That's my house!!"
😂

Be patient, everyone 1smile.gif
post #93 of 99
Here's a comparison chart of Google and Apple's 3D buildings: http://cubecities.blogspot.ca/2013/03/comparing-google-apples-3d-building.html
post #94 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangevine View Post

Here's a comparison chart of Google and Apple's 3D buildings: http://cubecities.blogspot.ca/2013/03/comparing-google-apples-3d-building.html

Thanks for the link. Strange to see the difference between Google Earth Computer Generated and Human Generated screenshots.

Welcome to the forum.
post #95 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangevine View Post

Unfortunately, the comparison is inaccurate. Apple Maps now provides 3D Flyover for more than 100 cities in the United States alone. Furthermore, many of the parameters of the comparison are heavily biased toward Google.
post #96 of 99
deleted
Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 9:12am
post #97 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

A search for "Bank of America" in the State of Colorado reveals many, many locations, including banks & atm's. I found 16 in Denver, 10 in Colorado Springs, & 5 in Pueblo. It would be great to do a flyover & see their locations however, they don't exist. Bank of America appears to have deleted all of the above locations except for 2 in the Denver area, per the current Bank of America's app map. Further checking shows location in Grand Junction,Fort Collins, Aspen & Vail, also deleted. One location I visited in person said the ATMs were removed about a year ago.

So, a family getting ready for vacation, checking Apple Maps, would show 46 Bank of America locations to access $ from during their travels, blizzard or no.

I have submitted nearly 100 problem corrections to each of the Bank of America locations to remove the pins in Apple Maps. I must admit, the 3D flyovers are stunning, of where the atm's use to be!

So, very similar to Google Maps then.
post #98 of 99

Hey Dick - that app looks great...didn't know about that.  I live in London and that would be so useful -- would you mind telling me what app that is?

post #99 of 99

Now now boys. While google maps are far more detailed, the core technology (vector maps) is far superior with apple, its only time before apple maps content catches up and surpasses google which will eventually lag behind as its based on a tileable image layer, which can not compete with dynamic vector laters used by apple.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities