or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut

Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut

post #1 of 183
With just hours to go before Samsung is expected to announce the next-generation Galaxy S4 smartphone, Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller offered his thoughts on why devices running Google's Android are inferior products compared to the iPhone and iOS.

In a rare interview with The Wall Street Journal, Schiller went over fourth quarter 2012 metrics related to "switchers," or handset users who switched between an iPhone and an Android. Citing Apple research, the executive said that four times as many iPhone users switched away from Android than to a handset running Google's mobile OS.

Schiller
Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller

Schiller also pointed to one of the major shortcomings of the Android platform: fragmentation. He noted that many Android users are running old versions of the OS, whereas Apple's implementation of iOS is more uniform.

"Android is often given [as] a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone," he said.

Digging into the Android ecosystem, Schiller noted that because different elements of the UI originate from different companies, the platform "suffers." While sometimes derided for being a "walled garden," Apple's system of controlling both hardware and software allows for a more cohesive and user-friendly experience.

"When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with," he said. "They don't work seamlessly together."

Samsung is scheduled to unveil the newest flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone at an event in New York on Thursday night.
post #2 of 183

...as though he'd say anything 'different'.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 183

Well, Andy Ihnatko switched so...

post #4 of 183
Thanks, Phil! We need more of that from Apple spokesmen!
post #5 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Well, Andy Ihnatko switched so...

So what? He has fat fingers and no taste.

Edit: Bless him, I just recalled that he dropped and broke his first iPhone 4 review unit. At least he told the story publicly. But he has fumbling fingers. His main complaint about the iPhone was that he kept turning on the dictation by accidently hitting the microphone"key." Lots of people commented that they never do that. I don't either.
Edited by Flaneur - 3/13/13 at 3:24pm
post #6 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with," he said. "They don't work seamlessly together."

So you can get the same experience on Android as you get with iPhone after you sign up for nine accounts?

I don't think so. Apple has better integration for sure. If you are a Mac user or an iPad user or an Apple TV user you should definitely get the iPhone as well as they all work together.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #7 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I have an Android Kindle, and I did not have to sign up with anyone. What is he on about (yes, I know Amazon is not like everyone else, but he seems to be making a blanket statement)

I've heard of a "Kindle", and a "Kindle Fire", but never an "Android Kindle".  Is that a new model or are you just spinning it to make some point?

There is no "Android Kindle".  It's not an out-of-the-box Android tablet.  It's Amazon's forked AndroidOS tablet handcuffed to its own ecosystem, and you very well know that. It has nothing to do with the general-use Android OS.

Nice try though.

post #8 of 183
Quote:

I have an Android Kindle, and I did not have to sign up with anyone. What is he on about (yes, I know Amazon is not like everyone else, but he seems to be making a blanket statement)

I think he's drawing a deep distinction, maybe just slightly out of your reach.
post #9 of 183
hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:16pm
post #10 of 183
Quote:

Amazon's Kindle is another "walled garden" as it were: meant by Amazon to be a gateway to their online store. In large part that's why they sell the hardware at a loss, because it still makes business sense in the overall corporate sense for Amazon as a whole (to the extent anything about their finances makes sense... I long ago expected them to actually turn a profit..)

post #11 of 183
What 9 accounts? He obviously has no idea what he's talking about.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #12 of 183
Quote:

If you are going twist his meaning you might as well go full throttle and say you have an Amazon Linux tablet.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #13 of 183
Doesn't knows what he is talking about really, I like Schiller and all but he should just stop with these "tweets", it is embarrassing.
post #14 of 183
Quote:

A kindle is not a phone, what are YOU on about?

When you boot a Samsung phone (after signing up to some sort of phone plan so it works), you are prompted to sign up a Samsung account, a Google account (asking for a credit card), a dropbox account among others, HTC handsets are the same except it's a HTC account.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #15 of 183
Quote:

Citing Apple research, the executive said that four times as many iPhone users switched away from Android than to a handset running Google's mobile OS.

1. I don't think it's a good idea to talk about a competitors product, right before launch

2. I can understand there are many Android users switching to an iPhone, but the statement that this number is 4 times as high than people switching to an Android device seems silly if we don't know where they switch from (Apple, BB, MS?)
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #16 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

Doesn't knows what he is talking about really, I like Schiller and all but he should just stop with these "tweets", it is embarrassing.

I thought this was an interview with the Wall Street Journal?

post #17 of 183

hmm

post #18 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1. I don't think it's a good idea to talk about a competitors product, right before launch

It doesn't sound desperate and very Ballmerish.

If he's at an interview and asked a direct question then I think it's appropriate but to just blurt it out in a tweet the day the Samsung Galaxy S IV gets announced seems like it would give them more free press.

edit: It looks like this was an interview and not simply a series of tweets. Now to figure out how I thought that in the first place.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/13/13 at 4:32pm

post #19 of 183

The media will put a negative spin on this of course, but I'm glad someone from Apple is finally fighting back.

post #20 of 183
hmm

post #21 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

/shrug all I had to do to set up my nexus 4 was log in to my Google account. OK OK I admit I had to log into Facebook as well. Other than that though, it was pretty much good to go. I had a harder time setting up my iphone4 back in the day... Granted I still needed iTunes back then.

It must not work very well without the SIM card you didn't sign up for.

btw the Nexus is slightly different, look here I got another one:-

Edited by hill60 - 3/13/13 at 3:48pm
post #22 of 183

Schiller sounds like a whining baby complaining about competition instead of offering a legitimate product from his own company. This is telltale signs of insecurity about your own products. 

post #23 of 183
I liked it better when Apple kept quiet and didn't say much about the competition. If you have to point out their flaws, you are paying the ultimate compliment - attention.
post #24 of 183

Hey, isn't there some sort of "launch event" and launch event coverage for this thing?  (You know... some guy in a black turtleneck, or something?)

I would really like to see how he fuzz goes down. 

If anybody has links, I'd appreciate it. (can't really find anything)

post #25 of 183
Hmm... Marketing guy saying his product is better than the competitor, using some facts and some exaggeration. Slow news day, eh?

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #26 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Even MG Siegler is describing this as "strange". I'm genuinely looking at my Android phone right now trying to think of the nine accounts I needed to bring my experience up to iOS levels. I have Facebook and Twitter, but you need the same on iOS obviously if those are important to you. Instagram, the same. All my music comes from Google Play. My email is under the account Google Play account. I can get movies from Google Play if I wanted them. I have calendar sync, tasks, and contacts sync under the same account. And then there's Spotify a separate account I need for both iOS and Android.

What a bizzarre attack line from Schiller.

You seem to only be mentioning the ones that Apple doesn't also have? Doesn't Samsung have their own music? What about an iMessage-like service? How about a Find My Android-like service? What about a Reading List-like service? What about an iCloud Tabs-like service? What about a Reminders*-like service?

Then there is gauging the service quality to make it on par with Apple's service. Is Google's music service as good as Apple's so you don't need a 2nd option to make it equal? Does a Find My Android-like service have the ability to do more than just find the device, but can also lock it, send a sound, message and erase it?

* Gmail has a notes and calendar service but I'm not so sure about it having a proper option for Reminders.

post #27 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

/snip ...switching to an Android device seems silly if we don't know where they switch from (Apple, BB, MS?)

...but we do know, it's in the article.

Quote:

In a rare interview with The Wall Street Journal, Schiller went over fourth quarter 2012 metrics related to "switchers," or handset users who switched between an iPhone and an Android. Citing Apple research, the executive said that four times as many iPhone users switched away from Android than to a handset running Google's mobile OS.
post #28 of 183

Guy Kawasaki, Apple evangelist, one of the biggest apple fans uses Android. Recently on an interview he said he owns zero iOS devices. Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple uses android device. If these people believe android is superior than iOS, then I do not think Schiller and his "Internal study done by apple" doesn't have much credibility. 

post #29 of 183
I'm not taking a shine to Schiller getting down in the mud.
post #30 of 183
I'm with Akleskater. The last thing someone should do is try and tell the world how much better their products are prior to a rivals launch. 9 accounts? PLEASE. Even I he was being rhetorical, it sounded foolish. Complaining about Android means he's giving them attention. I for one love apple products, but incremental improvements like thinner... Slightly bigger screen etc is lame. The competition is leaving Apple behind because apple seems to have forgotten how to innovate. My next phone is the S4
post #31 of 183

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:36pm
post #32 of 183

deleted

post #33 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A kindle is not a phone, what are YOU on about?

When you boot a Samsung phone (after signing up to some sort of phone plan so it works), you are prompted to sign up a Samsung account, a Google account (asking for a credit card), a dropbox account among others, HTC handsets are the same except it's a HTC account.

You've quoted the 2 extra - a Samsung and DropBox account. I'm curious, if anyone knows what the nine are - or is this exaggeration?

I wouldn't crow about 'having to sign up the dropbox account'. iCloud is so poor for document sharing, even with (or especially with) Apple's iWork suite, that DropBox or similar is pretty mandatory for a lot of iOS users. 

Edit: I guess Amazon for eBooks could be another one.

post #34 of 183

deleted

post #35 of 183
I agree that Apple products are superior, but they are gaining. They are gaining in features and in innovation. Apple under a healthy Steve Jobs was an innovative company, looking to conquer the world. Currently, we hope for a couple new features a year and a speed bump on every Apple product, basically. Something needs to change.
post #36 of 183

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:35pm
post #37 of 183

The most beautiful walled garden is still limited to the one experience no matter how wonderful it is. One persons utopia might be another persons prison.

Free your phone!

post #38 of 183
"Schiller also pointed to one of the major shortcomings of the Android platform: fragmentation."

Wow! SJ really put together a band of bad-ass execs! NOT!

Is that their forward moving marketing plan is to point out the deficiencies of competing products curenlyt TAKING market share in mobile, build a new campus for a company spiraling downward?

Why is it that Wall St./smartmoney is handing us "individual" investors and AAPL product lovers our heads on a platter.

Seriously, how can AAPL's stock price go from $700 to $428 while achieving record revenues and profits.

Simple: Wall street realizes that Apple's execs are a group of spineless dweebs who think they are in the same league as SJ, but necer were, and never will be...they can't even figure out how to split shares or raise dividends UNTIL their price plummets 40%....Or thatswhatthey want to initiate a fat buy back.
post #39 of 183
hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:15pm
post #40 of 183
Weird when I got my nexus 4.

All i needed to do was enter my password.
- Google already knew my email since I got it from the play store. Does apple do that.

All my music (with play music),
all my books (play books)
all my documents (google drive)
all my email (gmail),
all my apps (android apps),
all my movies and shows (play movies and shows),
all my magazines (play magazines)
all my maps (google maps)
all my videos (youtube)
booksmarks, searches, and tabs (chrome)
WERE WAITING FOR ME

Oh to top it all off opened google now, it had the schedule to my next class, how long it would take to get there, a buy ticket card for the movie trailer i watched on youtube, and a card to my buddy house for his birthday party the next day.

ALL of this was done with one password, i didnt even need to enter an email address.

This guy needs to shut up and lay off the crack pipe.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut