or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut - Page 4

post #121 of 183
Originally Posted by Mars123

Its ok for SJ to openly claim that they shamelessly steal ideas from others but when Google allegedly stole ideas to create android, its unfair all of a sudden? Or if Samsung uses ideas from Apple that's also unacceptable? 

 

Jobs shoots his mouth off in, what, 1995?  About an event which happened in 1979.  And now it's somehow definitive proof that Apple steals ideas in 2013?

 

Maybe you should read some of the details about the Xerox PARC visits before you use them as proof of Apple stealing.  They also signed a stock agreement with Xerox about the visits, so it's not like they gave nothing in return.  Unlike Microsoft did later, and now Google has done by working around having to pay licensing to Sun (now Oracle) in regards to Java.

 

And how about the multitouch interface which Apple "stole" (purchased FingerWorks)?  Again, Apple pays to acquire their "stolen" technology rather than just using it and hoping no one is willing to take it to court.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #122 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

What proof do you have that android stole from iOS? if Apple was so sure of that, why are they so scared to sue Google instead of crying and whining? 

 

Trouble is, Android isn't actually a product which Google directly profits from.  Hence why Apple has been going after the companies which do profit from using it in their products (Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc) rather than Google itself.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #123 of 183

That's a lame excuse for Apple not suing Google. Oracle sued Google for using Java in Android even though google doesn't profit from android. Apple knows they have absolutely no chance of beating Google in a court room. That's why they are suing a Korean company in a court 10 miles from their HQ with local Jury. If Android was stolen, SJ would have sued Google way back in 2009. Its crazy everyone on Apple sites claim "Google stole android" yet no one can show any concrete proof. 

post #124 of 183
My what a thread!
My head hurts from the insane bullshit and lies from the trolls.
post #125 of 183

I think iOS needs some Big New Feature(TM). It sure would make Phil's job easier if he could say something concrete like "Our phone is better than their's because it can ..." (e.g. make your breakfast). 

post #126 of 183
He was too polite in those statements. I had Galaxy 2 Mini as second phone for few months, this was really a crappy experience, I don't want to go in details. I can only say, I was the happiest man in the world when I installed dual SIM module in my 4S.

Arguments like: "I don't need iTunes for Android, I can use >>anything else<< (why then?)", "I can copy music directly to phone" (why bother? where will you put it?), etc... are simply idiotic statements from no-brain boys who just don't get the purpose of such device.
post #127 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

 

Trouble is, Android isn't actually a product which Google directly profits from.  Hence why Apple has been going after the companies which do profit from using it in their products (Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc) rather than Google itself.

Good point! Android is given as free of charge. It is actually a devious plan, I need to give credit to Google for it, although I don't like it.

post #128 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

/snip ...switching to an Android device seems silly if we don't know where they switch from (Apple, BB, MS?)

...but we do know, it's in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a rare interview with The Wall Street Journal, Schiller went over fourth quarter 2012 metrics related to "switchers," or handset users who switched between an iPhone and an Android. Citing Apple research, the executive said that four times as many iPhone users switched away from Android than to a handset running Google's mobile OS.

Apparently I am so intoxicated with Samsung news I read 'Android' as 'Samsung' - my bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I've never owned a PC in my life.  I've had iPhones since the first one.  I have stuck with APPL.

But the reality distortion is gone, and I see Samsung/Android/Google not only taking over but driving Apple to extinction like a slowly evolving dinosaur that struggles to come up with a 5s while the competish has mutated randomly with blinding speed and variety to become top predator.

Ugh.  Selling APPL tomorrow (unless some wiser person convinces me otherwise lol).

Indeed, sell that petroleum stock and buy something nice for yourself.
post #129 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

...runs through the middle of this incredible thread war wearing absolutely nothing and waving his pants round and round his head!

Woo hoo!!!!

 

"Hello, Security? Yeah, could you send someone upstairs? Make sure he's big and make sure he's got a bathrobe or something..."

post #130 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

You value the opinion of a marketing guy more than that of the co-founder of Apple simply because he doesn't agree with you?

 

You value the opinion of a man who had nothing to do with the iMac, the iPod, OSX, the iPhone, the iPad, iOS ... over the opinion of the marketing director who was at least partially responsible for Apple becoming the world's most profitable consumer electronics company, simply because he doesn't agree with you?

post #131 of 183
er
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

My what a thread!
My head hurts from the insane bullshit and lies from the trolls.

I know, it started out with DaHarder and went downhill from there. That's an accomplishment, downhill from there.

Thanks to igriv, MacRulez, Mars 123 for leading the descent. Good job! See you later this morning after the Samsung dance numbers.
post #132 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

er
I know, it started out with DaHarder and went downhill from there. That's an accomplishment, downhill from there.

Thanks to igriv, MacRulez, Mars 123 for leading the descent. Good job! See you later this morning after the Samsung dance numbers.
They achieved their aim. But at least they gave us a bit of a laugh.
I find myself constantly shaking my head at the sheer idiocy of their comments, the really sad thing is that they actually believe what they write.
In the past I thought they were simply here to annoy people, but not now, not any more.
They would make many a shrink very rich and very happy.
I can't wait to read their shrill when the samdung g4 comes out shortly, man I can't wait. I want to be educated on how a plastic fantastic piece of junk is the best thing since, we'll since anything and everything.
post #133 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

I never claimed Apple didn't design the Ax processor. Just like apple, Samsung also designs its own Exynos processor and they both use ARM architecture. The difference is Apple is dependent on Samsung to manufacture their chip while Samsung doesn't need Apple for anything except that Samsung needs Apple's R&D because they're unable to come up with anything original by themselves.

There. I fixed that for you.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #134 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think iOS needs some Big New Feature(TM). It sure would make Phil's job easier if he could say something concrete like "Our phone is better than their's because it can ..." (e.g. make your breakfast). 

Wouldn't work.

Apple could release some nice feature that was well-integrated and worked extremely well and provided a world class UI. All the shills would bring up something that was only vaguely related and which was total crap - and claim that Apple simply copied it.

Or they'd resort to their usual spec gams. "Ours has more cores (ignoring the fact that Apple's is still faster and smoother)". "Ours has a bigger screen (ignoring the fact that it's a crappy screen and is so large that it's hard to use as a phone)." "Ours has more megapixels (ignoring the fact that it's got such a cheap, crappy lens that its pictures are far worse than Apple provides)." No one but Apple understands the concept of a well-designed system that works well and provides great user satisfaction - so they're left with the sily spec games.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #135 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Wouldn't work.

Apple could release some nice feature that was well-integrated and worked extremely well and provided a world class UI. All the shills would bring up something that was only vaguely related and which was total crap - and claim that Apple simply copied it.

Or they'd resort to their usual spec gams. "Ours has more cores (ignoring the fact that Apple's is still faster and smoother)". "Ours has a bigger screen (ignoring the fact that it's a crappy screen and is so large that it's hard to use as a phone)." "Ours has more megapixels (ignoring the fact that it's got such a cheap, crappy lens that its pictures are far worse than Apple provides)." No one but Apple understands the concept of a well-designed system that works well and provides great user satisfaction - so they're left with the sily spec games.

Gosh, you've just given up then. No wonder you write "Apple is doomed " so often.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #136 of 183

Amazon doesn't brand it as an Android device. They are actually one of the people that are doing it right with Android, but in the end their implementation and model is closer to that of Apple's than any other vendor/carrier.

post #137 of 183

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:38pm
post #138 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Wouldn't work.

Apple could release some nice feature that was well-integrated and worked extremely well and provided a world class UI. All the shills would bring up something that was only vaguely related and which was total crap - and claim that Apple simply copied it.

 

No wonder people sometimes mistake you as being one of your own paranoid fantasy Android shills. It's like you have some kind of weird forum version of Munchausen-by-proxy syndrome.  You make up your own attacks against Apple ahead of time, and then cry foul over them.

 

All the person you responded to said, was that they wished Apple would come up with something big, that would impress the mass consumer.   Those buyers don't care about who came first or not, or what a forum thinks.

post #139 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

er
I know, it started out with DaHarder and went downhill from there. That's an accomplishment, downhill from there.

Thanks to igriv, MacRulez, Mars 123 for leading the descent. Good job!

Thanks, but giving credit where due, a majority of contributors to this thread share in the recognition of how counter-productive it was for Schiller to give another headline to his competitor just before their big launch, esp. while using that opportunity to show how isolated and unfamiliar Apple is with their competition.

 

A more complete list of those noting these and other shortcomings with Schiller's defensiveness include:

 

ikrupp

eksodos

dasanman69

majjo

Evoken

PhillBoogie

ankleskater

MarquisMark

cherrypop

Chemicle

kevt

ruel24

Techstalker

TonyLee

bdkennedy1

fastasleep

geekdad

512ke

ealvarez

TJRSV

mstone

extremeskater

ascii

 

You can shoot at messengers all you like, but as long as Schiller screws up like this a growing number of people will recognize it.

 

When we consider how little Apple has been spending on marketing compared to their competition, and the self-evident ineffectualness of Schiller's comments, Apple would do well to consider another change of VPs.


Edited by MacRulez - 3/14/13 at 6:56am
post #140 of 183

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:38pm
post #141 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You can shoot at messengers all you like, but as long as Schiller screws up like this a growing number of people will recognize it.

When we consider how little Apple has been spending on marketing compared to their competition, and the self-evident ineffectualness of Schiller's comments, Apple would do well to consider another change of VPs.

So "little" marketing account for record profits and 70% of the mobile profits. Indeed that's a failure. He should have earned Apple 103%.
post #142 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Citation needed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Why didn't you ask Phil for his citation? Or do you naively accept his claims at face value because they're pro-Apple?

 

I love it when the trolls turn on each other.

post #143 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

... This is the "shift to Windows 95" moment, when Apple's elegant but higher priced phone/tablet offerings start to become marginalized by a competitor who is ever faster, more nimble, cheaper, and more frantic in its offerings. ...

 

Please, don't make analogies to the history of the computer industry when you don't even know that history. Your "'shift to Windows 95' moment" never happened.

post #144 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

One more thing... ;)

 

Why is everyone talking about Phil making the claim about "logging in 9 times"?

 

Right, because nobody wants to talk about his other comments like fragmentation or the fact most Android devices are on a 2 year old OS. Let's pick apart a minor "comment" and avoid the real issues, which Phil is 100% correct about.

 

That's how the astroturfers roll. 

post #145 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

... Kawasaki, Wozniak, and more recently Ihnakto, have all been quite public about their enjoyment of Android; no citation needed there. ...

 

Kawasaki is a professional shill now working for Google (Motorola), so his "opinion" is of no value. Andy Ihnatko has always been a yahoo. And Wozniak, although a very nice guy, is a hard core gadget freak who loves everything. These are about the weakest references, other than your own, that could possibly be given for Android's quality.

post #146 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

I don't see any former Google employee switching from android to iOS, but the reverse is true. Goes to show how much better iOS is compared to android. 

 

Read it and weep: http://www.businessinsider.com/marissa-mayer-just-gave-every-yahoo-employee-an-iphone-5-2012-9

 

Quote:
Of course, "who cares what Wozniak said", except if Wozniak wasn't there, Steve Jobs would probably be selling Apples instead of apple computers. 

 

Steve Jobs would have done something impressive with his life, with or without Wozniak. Wozniak, on the other hand, might have just remained a cog at HP were it not for Jobs.

post #147 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post


APPL hasn't said or done anything since SJ...just look at their press releases on the website...one of the most recent posts is an apology for the maps fiasco and the iPhone5 that no-one "had" to have! My iPhone 4S is just as cool, or cooler and the shares i bought at $520 will take until the next Pope retires just to break even. ...

 

Right, because they were so chatty and released revolutionary products every year when SJ was still with us. Come back when you have a clue.

post #148 of 183

As soon as Kawasaki and Wozniak stopped advocating for apple, they became google schill? LOL. Referencing previous apple employees and fans are weak argument? Right. as long as the argument fits apple and your agenda, they are strong. Anyone with a taste/opinion otherwise is irrelevant. Its for people like anonymouse that apple gets away with pushing out the same thing every year with a simple update. They know blind fanboys like him would line up at 4 am on release day and buy the same rehashed product with an "S" at the end. Just ask yourself, from iPhone 4 to iphone 5 (two years) what has apple innovated that the competition didn't already have? 

post #149 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'll bet labeling their app store "Amazon Appstore for Android" in bold 64-point type really confuses people about whether the apps there are for Android. ;)

 

So, are you a) claiming the Kindle Fire is an Android device, or b) simply trying to sow confusion to cover up the fact it isn't?

post #150 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

. Its for people like anonymouse that apple gets away with pushing out the same thing every year with a simple update. They know blind fanboys like him would line up at 4 am on release day and buy the same rehashed product with an "S" at the end. Just ask yourself, from iPhone 4 to iphone 5 (two years) what has apple innovated that the competition didn't already have? 
hey genius, not everyone bought a 4 when it came out. The 4S was a godsend for those who couldn't get out of their contracts for the 4. And if iPhones are bought only by fanboys, why does Apple keep selling record numbers of iPhones?

As for innovation, Siri come to mind.
post #151 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

As soon as Kawasaki and Wozniak stopped advocating for apple, they became google schill? 

 

 

Kawasaki works for Google (i.e., its Motorola subsidiary), that's what makes him a shill. And, quite frankly, he was always a bit of an embarrassment to Apple. He's a cheerleader, that's all. And, if you can actually quote the bit where I in any way implied that Wozniak was shilling for Google, please do. But, then, you know I didn't, you were simply misrepresenting what I said in a dishonest attempt at discrediting it. I've asked this question before, but why is it that you Android "supporters" always feel the need to resort to lies and misrepresentations?

 

Quote:
... They know blind fanboys like him would line up at 4 am on release day and buy the same rehashed product with an "S" at the end. ...

 

See, there you go again. The only significant sameness in the 'S' models to date has been the appearance of the exterior shell. The internals have typically, if we can make a generalization from two instances, been as or more different than releases of "new" phones from competitors in their entirety, where sometimes the most significant change is the exterior shell, or slapping a big screen on it to camouflage a big battery. But, you know all that, yet you chose to completely misrepresent the facts, to lie.

post #152 of 183

Right, took them one year to take the processor from the iPad and put it in the new iPhone. And also ship it with half baked Siri. Got it. That is really innovative. They were so busy innovating, they could not even update the look of a year old iphone. How about naming one thing that is unique to iOS that Android doesn't have. As far as I am concerned, I still can't select Chrome as my default browser on my iPAD 3 running the latest iOS. Even Android 2.3.6 had that feature. 

post #153 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, are you a) claiming the Kindle Fire is an Android device, or b) simply trying to sow confusion to cover up the fact it isn't?

It does use Android as it's OS so yes it's a Android device, what it isn't is a Google device.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #154 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

Right, took them one year to take the processor from the iPad and put it in the new iPhone. And also ship it with half baked Siri. Got it. That is really innovative. They were so busy innovating, they could not even update the look of a year old iphone. How about naming one thing that is unique to iOS that Android doesn't have. As far as I am concerned, I still can't select Chrome as my default browser on my iPAD 3 running the latest iOS. Even Android 2.3.6 had that feature. 

 

Oh, big deal, changed your default browser, go you. I suppose if I went down a checklist of features for both systems, I could find a number that were unique, but, how about this one: all the phones Apple ships have the latest version of the operating system on them, not some version that could be 2-3 years old. Hey, even the 2-3 year old phones mostly have the latest version of the OS on them.

 

And there you go again about the "look". Yes, that's the important thing, does it "look" different? Now, go and spin your lies somewhere else, you sad little man.

post #155 of 183

How is having the latest OS even a feature if its a step back (apple maps)? if look isn't important why do apple fans always brag about "oh iphones look premium"? Couldn't come up with a single feature ios has that android doesn't have huh? Yea, its a pain in the ass to manually copy links from safari and pasting them on to chrome on my iPad. is it too much to ask to allow the users to set default apps (maps, browsers etc.)?

post #156 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It does use Android as it's OS so yes it's a Android device, what it isn't is a Google device.

 

No, it does not use Android. It uses a fork of the software that is the open source part of Android. It's not an Android device. It's not allowed to be marketed and sold as an Android device. And, most importantly, it does not use the Google ecosystem, which is the only relevant point when comparing marketshare of mobile platforms, and the defining point as to whether a device is an Android device.

 

And, by the way, there are plenty of Android devices that are not Google devices. Most in fact.

post #157 of 183
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with," he said. "They don't work seamlessly together."

 

Anyone besides mstone taken the time to figure out what he may have meant by this? I'm not sure it's right, either.


Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
"Hello, Security? Yeah, could you send someone upstairs? Make sure he's big and make sure he's got a bathrobe or something..."

 

"Hi, this is Security here. We've received your complaint about the naked man in the middle of a firestorm and we'd like to let you know that we're working on the situation right now. Your complaints are very important to us, please stay on the line."

 

*mellow muzak*


Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
It's like you have some kind of weird forum version of Munchausen-by-proxy syndrome.  You make up your own attacks against Apple ahead of time, and then cry foul over them.

 

Sounds to me like he has written a generalized version of, oh, what happens every single time Apple releases a new product with a new feature.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #158 of 183

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:42pm
post #159 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

How is having the latest OS even a feature if its a step back (apple maps)? if look isn't important why do apple fans always brag about "oh iphones look premium"? Couldn't come up with a single feature ios has that android doesn't have huh? Yea, its a pain in the ass to manually copy links from safari and pasting them on to chrome on my iPad. is it too much to ask to allow the users to set default apps (maps, browsers etc.)?

 

 

Not that it matters, but here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/03/five-features-we-wish-android-would-borrow-from-ios/

 

There would be more (I'm sure there are more, but I'm not about to waste my time researching and cross referencing features to satisfy such a lame argument from you.) but Google and Samsung have been so busy stealing from Apple.

 

(Edit: BTW, are we talking features that actually ship on most Android phones today? Because, you know, most of those "features" are theoretical on most phones. I know you wanted to ignore that point, but it won't go away.)

 

Feature fetishes aside, having spent some time using Android, it's not really a matter of feature counts, it's a matter of Androids fundamental paradigms being clunky, and most of the hardware it runs on cheap crap.

 

Apple Maps is a huge step forward and all objective evidence indicates that it's as good or better than Google maps in every important way. Best of all, it gets Google off your phone if you don't want it their

 

And, does a premium quality exterior shell cease being premium quality simply because it's nearly the same as last years? You have a very confused notion of quality vs. superficial appearance, but, that doesn't surprise me. You have some very confused notions, altogether.


Edited by anonymouse - 3/14/13 at 9:23am
post #160 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

And likewise the readers here enjoy it when you so clearly have nothing of substance to add to a topic that you reduce your posts to mere name-calling.

 

Funny stuff. As usual, you have trouble keeping up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut