or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut

Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut - Page 2

post #41 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The media will put a negative spin on this of course, but I'm glad someone from Apple is finally fighting back.

Keep in mind that this is Apple we're talking about. The same people complaining that Apple should be fighting back are the same people who will now say it's beneath Apple to talk about the competition. This very thread contains some of that already. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. That's the fate of anything Apple says or does these days.

post #42 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

Guy Kawasaki, Apple evangelist, one of the biggest apple fans uses Android. Recently on an interview he said he owns zero iOS devices. Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple uses android device. If these people believe android is superior than iOS, then I do not think Schiller and his "Internal study done by apple" doesn't have much credibility. 

2 things:

1. One might say that just proves how incredible Apple is...that both people you mentioned, despite their PERSONAL preferences, believe that Apple is still better for the masses.

2. So you think Guy and Steve are your typical mobile/computing device users? 

post #43 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemicle View Post

I'm with Akleskater. The last thing someone should do is try and tell the world how much better their products are prior to a rivals launch. 9 accounts? PLEASE. Even I he was being rhetorical, it sounded foolish. Complaining about Android means he's giving them attention. I for one love apple products, but incremental improvements like thinner... Slightly bigger screen etc is lame. The competition is leaving Apple behind because apple seems to have forgotten how to innovate. My next phone is the S4

Sony Xperia Z and the HTC One seem a lot better, too bad they don't have the budget to overhype their products and reel in the punters.

Been seeing a lot of Galaxy S 2's and III's coming in for repairs lately, they just switch off, won't charge and fail to boot.

Samsung products never seem to last, they are masters of planned obsolescence.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #44 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Weird when I got my nexus 4.

All i needed to do was enter my password.
- Google already knew my email since I got it from the play store. Does apple do that.

All my music (with play music),
all my books (play books)
all my documents (google drive)
all my email (gmail),
all my apps (android apps),
all my movies and shows (play movies and shows),
all my magazines (play magazines)
all my maps (google maps)
all my videos (youtube)
booksmarks, searches, and tabs (chrome)
WERE WAITING FOR ME

Oh to top it all off opened google now, it had the schedule to my next class, how long it would take to get there, a buy ticket card for the movie trailer i watched on youtube, and a card to my buddy house for his birthday party the next day.

ALL of this was done with one password, i didnt even need to enter an email address.

This guy needs to shut up and lay off the crack pipe.

You honestly think that is all he was referring to in his comment about getting the same experience as with an iOS device? Really? I've already listed services I don't think Google natively supports but Apple does so I'm not going to repeat them again.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #45 of 183

Let see what Samsung is going to unveil tomorrow.  I bet you that it a Galaxy S4 phone with the same design as the previous Galaxy S model but with bigger specs and minor upgrade. 

And if Steve Jobs was still with us on this earth Schiller wouldn't even dare to even think about doing this stun he doing.

post #46 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Yes, "citing Apple research".

He couldn't find any company in the world other than his own to back up such a claim?

So companies shouldn't do research to find out who is switching away from them or why?

Stop the presses, the word is ending.

post #47 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You seem to only be mentioning the ones that Apple doesn't also have? Doesn't Samsung have their own music? What about an iMessage-like service? How about a Find My Android-like service? What about a Reading List-like service? What about an iCloud Tabs-like service? What about a Reminders*-like service?

Then there is gauging the service quality to make it on par with Apple's service. Is Google's music service as good as Apple's so you don't need a 2nd option to make it equal? Does a Find My Android-like service have the ability to do more than just find the device, but can also lock it, send a sound, message and erase it?

* Gmail has a notes and calendar service but I'm not so sure about it having a proper option for Reminders.
_________

Google music is better than itunes
chrome has better syncing than safari

android does not have fine my phone or imessage

apple also doesnt have something like google now, or automatic app updates.

He was lying or was high.
post #48 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Well I see you're quite vested into the Google ecosystem. I didn't check the 'associate my phone with my Google account' when I ordered my nexus 4; does it do anything beyond having your email already entered when you first activate?

And how did you get Google now working right out of the box? It took me a month to train mine before it really got my schedule down. Though I admit, it was able to learn my entire stock portfolio on its own (I use yahoo finance), which I found pretty amazing.

Already had my home and school (which is also where I work) address listed on my google maps web app.
post #49 of 183

hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:13pm
post #50 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

You don't even need to sign up for Dropbox for document sharing. Google Documents does it just fine under that single Google account.

And Google has a bookstore under the single Google account just as Apple does. :)

I guess it's Samsung's (and HTC's) way of distancing themselves from Google, log in on some Samsung phones and you get 48GB extra free for two years, HTC it's 23GB extra.

Samsung phone's also come with Navigon in some countries, although why they need an alternative to the oh so perfect Google Maps is beyond me.

Then there's Picassa and Google's constant demands to join Google +

post #51 of 183
Quote:

You seem to only be mentioning the ones that Apple doesn't also have? Doesn't Samsung have their own music? What about an iMessage-like service? How about a Find My Android-like service? What about a Reading List-like service? What about an iCloud Tabs-like service? What about a Reminders*-like service?

Then there is gauging the service quality to make it on par with Apple's service. Is Google's music service as good as Apple's so you don't need a 2nd option to make it equal? Does a Find My Android-like service have the ability to do more than just find the device, but can also lock it, send a sound, message and erase it?

* Gmail has a notes and calendar service but I'm not so sure about it having a proper option for Reminders.

iMessage-like service-Google Voice, not exactly the same but it's free and works across multiple devices

iCloud Tabs-Chrome allows tab syncing across devices

Reading List- Browser allows to save pages

Reminders-yes but not as functional

Reading List Find My Android- not natively

So while the experience isn't identical it's getting closer and closer.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #52 of 183
hmm

Edited by eksodos - 8/28/13 at 5:13pm
post #53 of 183

While he may be right, I've had every iPhone since the first one and my iPhone 5 is boring. I'm bored.

post #54 of 183

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:35pm
post #55 of 183

deleted

post #56 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

... I have an Android Kindle, and I did not have to sign up with anyone. ...

There's no such thing as an "Android Kindle".

post #57 of 183
Quote:

Citation needed.

Why didn't you ask Phil for his citation? Or do you naively accept his claims at face value because they're pro-Apple?
post #58 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

apple also doesnt have something like google now, or automatic app updates.

He was lying or was high.

I've defended the marketing speak from Google and other execs against Apple many, many times before on this forum. It's irrelevant to his comment what Google has that Apple doesn't. His comment was squarely about matching the experience of iOS and since you've admitted that Google doesn't have aspect that iOS has natively you can't simply say that your opinion on the best music store or features Android has that iOS doesn't in some way replaces the experience that Schiller is talking about. You simply can't win that argument. All you can say is 1) that you can't think of 9 accounts that would be needed to match the experience of iOS, and 2) that you think the Android experience is better; but you can't say he's lying, especially with the criteria given, you can only say you think he made it up, which is very different.

post #59 of 183

Someone in the investor forums here was saying recently they needed to trot the SVPs out more often to get them to talk. Well, here's what you get. :) I'd rather they keep quiet like usual.

MG Siegler nails it:

http://parislemon.com/post/45296305631/apple-goes-on-the-defensive-against-samsung

post #60 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

The crapware that gets shovelled onto Android phones by device makers is more than annoying. Some of the crap they put on these phones cannot ever be removed unless you jailbreak and root your devices. And rooting your phones locks you out of using some great streaming content services. I'm sure it gives them a little extra margin on every sale, but it does add legitimacy to the argument that Apple cares far more about the user experience than a Sony or Samsung does. Obviously if this is important to me then I should just buy a Nexus device. But I much prefer the looks of the devices Sony is making atm to the Nexus stuff - crapware and lackof updates is making me reconsider though.

To be fair, I find it damned annoying that I can't remove some of the unwanted and unused apple Apps on my iPhone. Can't even hide them. And when someone produces an App to do this, it gets withdrawn from the App store.

post #61 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Keep in mind that this is Apple we're talking about. The same people complaining that Apple should be fighting back are the same people who will now say it's beneath Apple to talk about the competition. This very thread contains some of that already. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. That's the fate of anything Apple says or does these days.

That's not coming from me.  Seems like the iHaters and Fandroids flock to these threads.  Oh and the concern trolls who always make sure to remind us how long they've been an Apple fan and how many Apple products they've owned over the years. lol.gif

post #62 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemicle View Post

I'm with Akleskater. The last thing someone should do is try and tell the world how much better their products are prior to a rivals launch. 9 accounts? PLEASE. Even I he was being rhetorical, it sounded foolish. Complaining about Android means he's giving them attention. I for one love apple products, but incremental improvements like thinner... Slightly bigger screen etc is lame. The competition is leaving Apple behind because apple seems to have forgotten how to innovate. My next phone is the S4

Good luck with that.  Their version of innovation is putting features that are available for free on the iPhone as features in Android and having your supplier to buy out the company that has offered it for years earlier on the iPhone. (Swype)  Even speech was a copy because it was an undocumented feature for the hearing impaired on all of my iPhones and before that on Every Mac since 2001.  He was clearly contacted for this interview. If he said no comment then you would be claiming he is running scared.  I think they love what is happening. Under estimate them again.  They have brought forth industry changing products for over 30 years.  They take time and will not show up every year or two.  They are working on the next real market that no one is even thinking about.  Remember they had prototypes for the iPad a decade before its release.  the only way they are being beat is supposed sales that the only one succeeding, Samsung conveniently stopped reporting in mid 2012.  All of a sudden they are blowing Apple away in "shipments".  They were so close to beating apple in 2011 and did in 2012 but the numbers released in the trail says they only actually sold a fraction of what Apple sold to consumers.  If you feel innovation is larger screens which by the way are far easier to make, since you don't have to miniaturize the internals, then the S4 is all yours.  You'll be back, unless you are just to proud to admit mistakes.

post #63 of 183
Honestly, folks, it's just a friggin phone. Today's society reminds me of an old episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 5, Episode 6 - "The Game"), where the entire crew starts wearing these "Google Glass"-type headsets that rewards the wearer with feel-good emotions whenever they "will" a virtual disc into a virtual cone. Before long, nobody on the Enterprise is doing anything useful - they're all just playing "the game." Sad to see, really.
post #64 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

Someone in the investor forums here was saying recently they needed to trot the SVPs out more often to get them to talk. Well, here's what you get. :) I'd rather they keep quiet like usual.

MG Siegler nails it:

http://parislemon.com/post/45296305631/apple-goes-on-the-defensive-against-samsung

That was me, but this isn't necessarily what I meant.  I don't have a problem with what Schiller said but using the WSJ to get it out was a strange choice.  WSJ is one of the most anti-Apple publications out there. Almost as bad, if not worse than Forbes and Business Insider.  No one will pay attention to what Schiller said as they won't read beyond the "Apple on the defensive" headline. 1rolleyes.gif

post #65 of 183
Quote:

Citation needed.

Did you even bother to read what my response was to:

"If these people believe android is superior than iOS, then I do not think Schiller and his "Internal study done by apple" doesn't have much credibility."

Responding to opinion with opinion...ever heard of it?

Citation?...don't waste my time.  idjit.

post #66 of 183

Such over the top reactions to comments about what Phil says about the competition during an interview when Samsung sinks to commercials that outright lie and belittle the people they are trying to get to switch to their product.  

post #67 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

To be fair, I find it damned annoying that I can't remove some of the unwanted and unused apple Apps on my iPhone. Can't even hide them. And when someone produces an App to do this, it gets withdrawn from the App store.

Why don't you drop them all into a single "Unused" folder on your last page of apps? Is that *seriously* that big of an eyesore?

Edited by fastasleep - 3/13/13 at 6:04pm
post #68 of 183
Quote:

I've defended the marketing speak from Google and other execs against Apple many, many times before on this forum. It's irrelevant to his comment what Google has that Apple doesn't. His comment was squarely about matching the experience of iOS and since you've admitted that Google doesn't have aspect that iOS has natively you can't simply say that your opinion on the best music store or features Android has that iOS doesn't in some way replaces the experience that Schiller is talking about. You simply can't win that argument. All you can say is 1) that you can't think of 9 accounts that would be needed to match the experience of iOS, and 2) that you think the Android experience is better; but you can't say he's lying, especially with the criteria given, you can only say you think he made it up, which is very different.

ok...got call it as I see it...I prefer IOS over Android....no buts no slamming either platform. But what is the diference between lying and making stuff up?

Edit FWIW...I have had every iPhone except the first one......i have had probably 10 Android phones. I spend a LOT of money phones. But in my Android experience I have never had to sign into 9 different accounts or whatever to get the same functionality as my iPhone.

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #69 of 183

I agree, it's just a phone.  

But it's moment of the shift.

This is the "shift to Windows 95" moment, when Apple's elegant but higher priced phone/tablet offerings start to become marginalized by a competitor who is ever faster, more nimble, cheaper, and more frantic in its offerings.  

Big screen, small screen, glasses, watch, e-paper: Samsung and Android will win it all.  

I've never owned a PC in my life.  I've had iPhones since the first one.  I have stuck with APPL.

But the reality distortion is gone, and I see Samsung/Android/Google not only taking over but driving Apple to extinction like a slowly evolving dinosaur that struggles to come up with a 5s while the competish has mutated randomly with blinding speed and variety to become top predator.

Ugh.  Selling APPL tomorrow (unless some wiser person convinces me otherwise lol).

post #70 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

"Schiller also pointed to one of the major shortcomings of the Android platform: fragmentation."

Wow! SJ really put together a band of bad-ass execs! NOT!

Is that their forward moving marketing plan is to point out the deficiencies of competing products curenlyt TAKING market share in mobile, build a new campus for a company spiraling downward?

Why is it that Wall St./smartmoney is handing us "individual" investors and AAPL product lovers our heads on a platter.

Seriously, how can AAPL's stock price go from $700 to $428 while achieving record revenues and profits.

Simple: Wall street realizes that Apple's execs are a group of spineless dweebs who think they are in the same league as SJ, but necer were, and never will be...they can't even figure out how to split shares or raise dividends UNTIL their price plummets 40%....Or thatswhatthey want to initiate a fat buy back.
learn to spell and if no one is buying the iPhone, how come it was the #1 and #2 phone sold last qtr? Sammy couldn't outsell the 2 y.o. 4.

Quote:

Yes, "citing Apple research".

He couldn't find any company in the world other than his own to back up such a claim?

So you found research that contradicts this?
post #71 of 183

deleted

post #72 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That was me, but this isn't necessarily what I meant.  I don't have a problem with what Schiller said but using the WSJ to get it out was a strange choice.  WSJ is one of the most anti-Apple publications out there. Almost as bad, if not worse than Forbes and Business Insider.  No one will pay attention to what Schiller said as they won't read beyond the "Apple on the defensive" headline. 1rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I know it's not what you meant really. :)  I wonder actually what was omitted from the full interview, if they just cherry picked a few statements, put a spinny headline on it, and shipped it. Not sure Schiller used them, it may have been the other way around — though I can't imagine he wouldn't have seen that coming from the WSJ given their track recent track record.

If I were Apple, I'd just release something out of nowhere tomorrow to eat up headlines. Maybe we'll get iWork, new displays, and a Mac Pro tomorrow. :)

post #73 of 183

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:34pm
post #74 of 183
Just to make sure I have it right:

- If Apple doesn't say anything about how much better they are, they must not believe in their own products. They need to talk more about their products.

- If Apple DOES talk about their products and the competition, they're whiny and sound defensive, so they shouldn't do that.

Either way, Apple is doomed.

Did I get it right?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #75 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

This is the "shift to Windows 95" moment, when Apple's elegant but higher priced phone/tablet offerings start to become marginalized by a competitor who is ever faster, more nimble, cheaper, and more frantic in its offerings.  

Big screen, small screen, glasses, watch, e-paper: Samsung and Android will win it all.  

I've never owned a PC in my life.  I've had iPhones since the first one.  I have stuck with APPL.

But the reality distortion is gone, and I see Samsung/Android/Google not only taking over but driving Apple to extinction like a slowly evolving dinosaur that struggles to come up with a 5s while the competish has mutated randomly with blinding speed and variety to become top predator.

Ugh.  Selling APPL tomorrow (unless some wiser person convinces me otherwise lol).

The 5 just came out in September. The SG3 came out in may/June(?) so the 5 hasn't been six months on the market and that's slow? Somehow I doubt it's struggling to come up with a 5S. The 5 AND 4 outsold the Galaxy. iPads are wiping Android in the tablet space.

This isn't like win95. Apple was out of focus and wasn't making money back then. Apple had the most profitable year last year along with one of the most profitable qtrs ever. It's produce line is relatively small.

Go ahead and sell. We don't want skittish investors.
post #76 of 183

deleted

post #77 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just to make sure I have it right:

- If Apple doesn't say anything about how much better they are, they must not believe in their own products. They need to talk more about their products.

- If Apple DOES talk about their products and the competition, they're whiny and sound defensive, so they shouldn't do that.

Either way, Apple is doomed.

Did I get it right?

What Apple should do is steal Samsung's thunder and announce the iPhone 5s like....in the next week

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #78 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Do yourself and everyone who wants all the weak hands out and sell AAPL instead of APPL.
post #79 of 183
Quote:

Really?  That's where you're going with this?

So anyone can make any claim they want, and it's up to everyone else to prove it's false rather than just ask for any substantiating data from the original claimant?

That's rich.  Not surprising here, but entertaining just the same.

Look, I'm right there with you in recognizing how sad it is that this man can't find anyone, anyone at all, who has data to support his claims.  But need we turn logic on its head to try to make sense of his defensiveness?

If he's lying it would be easy to find out wouldn't it. You just made a claim with little research and no data.

As for claims, Google does it all the time with activations. You take that at face value.
post #80 of 183

deleted

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Schiller speaks out against Android on eve of Galaxy S4 debut