or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple now offering iMacs with built-in VESA mount adapters for $40 premium

Apple now offering iMacs with built-in VESA mount adapters for $40 premium

post #1 of 51
Apple recently updated its online store to reflect availability of a new VESA mount-compatible iMac, with the tweaked version of the thin all-in-one costing in at $40 more than standard models.

VESA iMac

First spotted by German Apple blog iFun, the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) compatibility is likely to be a welcome addition for users who are already invested in the mounting standard.

When Apple first announced the redesigned iMac in October, it was discovered that unlike previous models, the new machines could not be used with standard VESA mounts. In response to feedback from users disappointed in the change, Apple said it was taking the idea of adding the capability into consideration, but offered no concrete details as to when a solution would be made available.

From Apple's description of the new VESA-compatible iMac models:

The iMac with Built-in VESA Mount Adapter is ready to pair with your favorite VESA-compatible wall mount, desk mount, or articulating arm (sold separately). This iMac doesn't include a stand, so a mount is required. If you don't already have a mount, you can purchase one when you configure your iMac.

VESA iMac

The VESA models are not highly advertised on Apple's Online Store, and are nowhere to be seen on the main product page, though a link at the bottom of the iMac configuration tool will take customers to a webpage dedicated to the new versions.

Apple is charging a $40 premium for the ability to use VESA mounts with the iMac. The special configuration is on sale now with shipping estimates starting at 7 to 10 days.
post #2 of 51
Nice touch Apple! Perhaps this is a spin off from the upcoming 60" Apple TV? 1wink.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 51
It looks like it's been added on after the normal manufacturing process as an afterthought. This might be the only way they could include one, however, as the necessary arm attachment hardware would have extended into the area containing the iMac computer hardware.

Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. If this is true, then maybe they will begin to offer further customization on other production lines for those enterprise users who want to have the disk, WiFi, bluetooth, or microphone removed for security purposes. (If you have to ask why, you're not one of those users.)
post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

It looks like it's been added on after the normal manufacturing process as an afterthought. This might be the only way they could include one, however, as the necessary arm attachment hardware would have extended into the area containing the iMac computer hardware.

Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. If this is true, then maybe they will begin to offer further customization on other production lines for those enterprise users who want to have the disk, WiFi, bluetooth, or microphone removed for security purposes. (If you have to ask why, you're not one of those users.)

Not sure why it would require a separate production line. The mount could simply be added to the backs before assembly.

I wonder how long before we hear "How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard."?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #5 of 51
Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure. Aesthetically it would have been cool for it to all be integrated into the case... but it is hidden by the arm so who really cares.

Wish it was available at retail (prefer to buy in-store for big things), but at least I don't have to switch to a MacMini for my needs.
post #6 of 51

Awesome. I haven't bought one of the new iMacs yet and this might sway me. One of the few things that I don't like about the iMac is that the stand isn't height adjustable. Being able to mount it on a wall at any height is very welcome.

post #7 of 51
Bodes well for the same option being on the display refresh. I'll take 2 when I'm able to assign Desktops to specific displays.
post #8 of 51
One of the reasons I have kept my old iMac G4 is because I love the way you can raise, lower, swivel the screen any way you want. Ergonomicly, it's one of the best computers I've ever had! I wish the new Macs would offer the same degree of flexibility.
post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not sure why it would require a separate production line. The mount could simply be added to the backs before assembly.

If Apple builds this correctly, they would weld the VESA attachment onto the back before the screen is attached, not bolt it on. This provides the most amount of strength. This means the VESA back takes up more space in the production line, they can't be stacked as easily. I'm not sure which part of the production is handled by a robot but the size difference means a different set up. If people are hand assembling the iMacs, they would still need a larger area to hold the VESA backs and a different tray to hold them while the insides are added. Even adding the attachment requires an additional step so some changes have to be made somewhere along the line.

post #10 of 51
I have to wonder if it blocks the fan vents enough to cause a problem. I can only hope they've tested it to ensure the answer is no.
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

I have to wonder if it blocks the fan vents enough to cause a problem. I can only hope they've tested it to ensure the answer is no.

I thought the same thing- i have two 2010 iMacs that get very warm, but do the new iMacs get as hot?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #12 of 51
That's pretty cool.

I'm moving into a new house and was going to wall mount my PC - being able to do the same with the new iMac is great.
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure.

I doubt if it's screwed in. My guess would be their stir welding process.
Quote:

If Apple builds this correctly, they would weld the VESA attachment onto the back before the screen is attached, not bolt it on. This provides the most amount of strength. This means the VESA back takes up more space in the production line, they can't be stacked as easily. I'm not sure which part of the production is handled by a robot but the size difference means a different set up. If people are hand assembling the iMacs, they would still need a larger area to hold the VESA backs and a different tray to hold them while the insides are added. Even adding the attachment requires an additional step so some changes have to be made somewhere along the line.

Still doesn't require all that much. The backs are attached to the front robotically via stir welding. All they'd need is a different jig to hold the backs. The difficulty in stacking them might be an issue, but not that difficult of one to deal with (depending on how the backs are delivered, it might not be an issue at all).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nice touch Apple! Perhaps this is a spin off from the upcoming 60" Apple TV? 1wink.gif

I don't think there is an 'real' Apple TV on the horizon. It's too much licensing headaches etc for something that could be serviced merely by creating a new Cinema Display lineup that has the power to be used a multipurpose screen. Make a CD that can be used with computers, blu-ray, tivo, apple tv set box, cable tuner boxes etc. Opens up way more markets to sell this thing. Even if it only comes in like 24", 36" and 46" models (with perhaps only the lower two in stores).

But I agree with the notion that this multipurpose mount should be the way things go forward on iMacs and displays. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #15 of 51
Quote:

Looks aside, I see this as Apple making a change for a minority user, something I like. If they actually attached this mount during manufacturing, this means they have a separate production line using this rear housing. 

Yep. They had no real way of knowing how many folks care about the whole VESA issue. They got feedback that told them that there were enough folks that do care so they added an option to try it out. If it sells well they might just make it the norm with perhaps the desk mount in the box since that's the most common option. 

As for the rest, doubt they would go that far. Perhaps when it's a group like the US government that is guaranteeing to buy like 3000 units at that spec. And it would be an 'off menu' request. Not something they openly offer. 

post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Nice move. It wasn't that hard to do from what I can tell; it just needs to be screwed in from inside the enclosure. Aesthetically it would have been cool for it to all be integrated into the case... but it is hidden by the arm so who really cares.

You can't tell from the photos but perhaps not. They might be milling these backs with the 'adapter' built in. Not just screwing them in place. It could be that way because it's more stable. My own company has had issues with VESA adapters that shifted over time at the screws thanks to the bouncing up and down from users moving them around, the trailers being driven around. Folks were worried the mount would come undone. If this is a solid part of the back that issue could be reduced greatly. 

post #17 of 51
i wonder if the iMac Mount (www.imacmount.com) is still not a better solution. Both cases seem rather like a hack solution to me.... and I find Apple's solution to be a disappointment. I would like to see someone come out with a solid (and well finished) stand replacement specifically for the iMac with VESA. What is out there now is certainly not to the build and finish quality of the iMac sadly.
post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I thought the same thing- i have two 2010 iMacs that get very warm, but do the new iMacs get as hot?

Try smcFanControl

It works great. I use it on my iMac. It lets you adjust the fan speed. It shows the temperature and the fan speed in the menu bar so you can fine tune it for your environment.

http://www.eidac.de

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 51
Doesn't this kind of back up Apple's assertion that they still support their Pro customers? This is a feature predominantly used by Mac users in the workplace.

I did not expect this and it is very welcome.
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

i wonder if the iMac Mount (www.imacmount.com) is still not a better solution. Both cases seem rather like a hack solution to me.... and I find Apple's solution to be a disappointment. I would like to see someone come out with a solid (and well finished) stand replacement specifically for the iMac with VESA. What is out there now is certainly not to the build and finish quality of the iMac sadly.

This new solution doesn't look much different from the Apple VESA adapters I added to my several 30" cinema displays years ago.  Not sure I understand your fit and finish comments.  It's a mounting adapter that generally can't be seen when in use.  What's the problem?

post #21 of 51
If you've ever searched / watched any of the YouTube videos available showing how to install Apple's VESA adapter after-the-fact...it's really not difficult at all...and uses the same mount points as the standard base.

I don't see this as a significant challenge or side-step to normal manufacturing lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK55yuERL0k
post #22 of 51

Finally!

post #23 of 51

I need an iMac without display and with better cooling than the iMac.

post #24 of 51
I am surprised Apple didn't invent a low-profile mount that VESA could adopt and make part of their standard.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Then buy an iMac, pull off the display and let it cool out the the front. Anything else I can solve for you today? 1wink.gif

post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then buy an iMac, pull off the display and let it cool out the the front. Anything else I can solve for you today? 1wink.gif

It would be really tempting to do so. But there're more reasonable options (not from Apple, though).

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wonder how long before we hear "How dare they charge $40 for a mount that's only $0.20 worth of aluminum? Those ba$tards. It ought to be standard."?

If I purchased an imac, it would be one of these to allow for height adjustments. I thought it was standard on the old ones, but they required an adapter kit too. They screwed up. Enough people wanted it, so they added the option. It would be worth the $40 to me. A decent arm is at least a couple hundred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am surprised Apple didn't invent a low-profile mount that VESA could adopt and make part of their standard.

It was likely something that they figured wasn't important enough. The old design seemed to use an adapter as well. Perhaps they felt not enough people were buying them?

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bincky View Post

If you've ever searched / watched any of the YouTube videos available showing how to install Apple's VESA adapter after-the-fact...it's really not difficult at all...and uses the same mount points as the standard base.

I don't see this as a significant challenge or side-step to normal manufacturing lines.

Yeah, that seems like a better solution anyway, so you can reinstall the standard mount when you want to resell it of move it to another location.

post #29 of 51

No, you don't.

It would be really tempting to do so. But there're more reasonable options (not from Apple, though).

So go buy from them.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yep. They had no real way of knowing how many folks care about the whole VESA issue. They got feedback that told them that there were enough folks that do care so they added an option to try it out. If it sells well they might just make it the norm with perhaps the desk mount in the box since that's the most common option. 
While true they had no way of knowing how people use their iMacs it was beyond stupid for Apple to delete the VESA mount capability in the first place. Coming up with a kludge solution like this doesn't inspire a lot of hope that Apple is focused on customer needs. I mean this say you need to VESA mount your iMac today but a year later your needs for that iMac change. What do you do, prop it up against the wall?

What is even worst is that very few people will be willing to spend $40 on this kludge, even if they would prefer a VESA mount capability. This will cause Apple to turn around and say their is no demand.

In the end iMac is a clear example of Apple being out of touch with respect to customer needs. It isn't just the VESA mount but the whole mentality of the machine. Combine this with a pathetic desktop line up and it is no wonder that most Mac sales are laptops. Their hostile attitude towards normal customer expectations gives many customers the incentive to look else where.
Quote:
As for the rest, doubt they would go that far. Perhaps when it's a group like the US government that is guaranteeing to buy like 3000 units at that spec. And it would be an 'off menu' request. Not something they openly offer. 
post #31 of 51
Quote:

No what you really need is an XMac! Even if Apple put the iMac in a different box it would still be a terrible solution, a Mac specifically built to be a midrange desktop is a better solution.
post #32 of 51

On iMacs, the serial number is normally located on the bottom of the stand. Curious where the label is located on these models. And don't say "Just go to About This Mac" because that doesn't work if the computer won't boot.

post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, you don't.
Right he needs an XMac, a purpose built midrange computer! Glad you recognize that tallest!
Quote:
So go buy from them.

A surprising number of potential customers do just that. Apple hardware is often avoided because nothing fits their needs or policies. It isn't just the operating system that is an issue, there are long term support issues that make buying Apple hardware difficult.
post #34 of 51
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
Right he needs an XMac, a purpose built midrange computer! Glad you recognize that tallest!

See, this isn't even funny. He doesn't need that either.

post #35 of 51
This is an awesome option, especially for such a thin all in one.
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is an awesome option, especially for such a thin all in one.

I would give more credibility to thin if it actually added some amount of functionality. The footprint is the same as the old model, and I have yet to see retrofitted imacs used as embedded solutions. It's really just an eye candy thing.

Quote:

What is even worst is that very few people will be willing to spend $40 on this kludge, even if they would prefer a VESA mount capability. This will cause Apple to turn around and say their is no demand.

Looking at the Apple Store suggests that the old ones also used a kludge that cost either $30 or $40 depending on what you owned. The reviews didn't sound terribly satisfied, but there aren't that many reviews. I dislike the ergonomic qualities of notebooks for similar reasons. Just being able to position it well is great. If someone has purchased imacs for a number of cycles in their standard configurations, they are probably used to the somewhat limited stand design, but it's considerably more annoying if you're used to positioning these things. Even a lot of cheap displays can be easily adjusted. The better ones have well balanced springloaded stands out of the box, so setting height requires little effort.

post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bincky View Post

That is for the old style. The screws have moved from being at the 1:00 position in the older generations to being at the 3:00 position in the current generation, so you can't access them without disassembling the computer.

Take a look at the current generation iFixit photo: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/MwjRqELAmH4KPMUQ.large
post #38 of 51
Quote:

No what you really need is an XMac! Even if Apple put the iMac in a different box it would still be a terrible solution, a Mac specifically built to be a midrange desktop is a better solution.

Says who? And please explain why it's probably the best selling AIO computer - in spite of running a 'non-standard' OS.

The iMac is a great solution for 97% of computer users. The fact that YOU might want something different is your problem, not the iMac's.
Quote:

OK.
http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 51
Quote:

I see this as the (speculative) new prosumer platform pattern:

iMac base

then for more glass 

The iMac and Cinema Display and TB in a VESA Frame.

then for more compute  more glass

The iMac + Thunderbolt + GrandCentral + 2nd iMac in a VESA Frame = Extensible compute/visualizaion cluster.

Then for even more

add a 3rd/4th iMac (wall of glass)

or more compute less glass

add a Mac Mini via TB

or a MBPro/Air (with icloudish sync of disks/folders)

Mount this to a 'frame' that holds your IMac and then mount another iMac to it... connect via a TB cable...  Boot them up... and they just work as a single computer.

Add something like Mesos (open source application consumption coordination) to apps so they can self manage how many systems they want to run on (photoshop across spins up a coprocessor app on another system based on cpu/mem availability as a preference)

That's what I want

post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Bodes well for the same option being on the display refresh. I'll take 2 when I'm able to assign Desktops to specific displays.

I would definitely go for a TB with VESA mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I hear they run cooler.

Quote:

While true they had no way of knowing how people use their iMacs it was beyond stupid for Apple to delete the VESA mount capability in the first place. Coming up with a kludge solution like this doesn't inspire a lot of hope that Apple is focused on customer needs. I mean this say you need to VESA mount your iMac today but a year later your needs for that iMac change. What do you do, prop it up against the wall?

Get another VESA mount.

If you're paying $1200+ to buy a new computer, an extra $50 for another instance of your favorite stand shouldn't be a problem. Heck, you might lose the original stand in the intervening years anyway.

Quote:

In the end iMac is a clear example of Apple being out of touch with respect to customer needs. It isn't just the VESA mount but the whole mentality of the machine. Combine this with a pathetic desktop line up and it is no wonder that most Mac sales are laptops. Their hostile attitude towards normal customer expectations gives many customers the incentive to look else where.

Apple isn't going to make a gamer machine or a hacker/tinkerer machine. That kind of person isn't likely to want an Apple machine anyway, those uses are more tied to Windows and Linux anyway.

Quote:

The new displays are the best consumer displays you can get. The new chipset is the coolest running so far.
Edited by JeffDM - 3/14/13 at 1:05pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple now offering iMacs with built-in VESA mount adapters for $40 premium