or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'

post #1 of 109
Thread Starter 
As Apple's product unveilings have moved to increasingly smaller venues, rival Samsung is set to unveil its flagship Galaxy S IV at a heavily hyped event in New York City's Radio City Music Hall.



The contrast of styles led Philip Elmer-Dewitt of Apple 2.0 to observe that Samsung's marketing has made Apple look "tame." As part of Samsung's hype, the company sent a "flash mob" of dancers into Times Square, wearing jackets with the number "4" on the back and holding signs that advertise tonight's unveiling of Samsung's next flagship handset.

"It's almost as if the two companies ? engaged in a global battle for command of the $400 billion mobile device industry ? are moving in opposite directions," Elmer-Dewitt said. "Apple in its marketing and advertising has become quieter and more modest, hoping its products and services will speak for themselves. Samsung, meanwhile, is going bigger and brasher, hiring the big halls and the dancers and mocking Apple ??and itself ??in TV ads loaded with attitude."

When Apple was considered by the public to be an underdog, it would gain recognition and garner praise for commercials that would call out the competition. The company's long running and award winning "Get a Mac" ads, which portrayed Windows as being susceptible to viruses, system crashes and other serious problems, were ended in 2009.

Samsung


Since then, Apple grew so much that its market cap passed ExxonMobil and made it the world's largest company. And while Samsung sells more overall phones than Apple, the iPhone dominates with a commanding 72 percent of overall industry profits.

Though it's no longer an underdog, Apple did show signs of fighting back this week against Samsung's hype. In a rare interview, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller disparaged Android as an inferior product to Apple's iOS mobile platform, citing fragmentation and revealing that four times as many iPhone users switched to iOS from Android than left Android for iOS.

Samsung will unveil the Galaxy S IV at its "Global Unpacked" event set to take place in New York at 7 p.m. this evening. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.
post #2 of 109
The music and dancers are nice, but this has nothing to do with phones. It's just glitter and gloss.
post #3 of 109

Can't copy good taste and talent.

post #4 of 109

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:39pm
post #5 of 109
When was Apple's advertising flashy? I feel it has always been low key with the products speaking for themselves. Their competitors have usually made far more noise of their own, Apple's just releases or the product and the consumer response has been the hype.
post #6 of 109

Can't wait to meet.. um.. a Samsung fanboy. There must be one considering the hype. But whose hype? WSJ?

post #7 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

When was Apple's advertising flashy? I feel it has always been low key with the products speaking for themselves. Their competitors have usually made far more noise of their own, Apple's just releases or the product and the consumer response has been the hype.

Exactly. As someone else commented Scamsung can copy much that Apple do but not their class.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #8 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The music and dancers are nice, but this has nothing to do with phones. It's just glitter and gloss.


That glitter and gloss has made Samsung a lot of money and has helped to make it a top competitor.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #9 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Opposite directions indeed:  Samsung is investing in marketing, while Apple is sitting in a pile of cash and still chooses to let their main competitor out-market them by many tens of millions of dollars, and as the article notes, "Apple's product unveilings have moved to increasingly smaller venues".
 

I don't think this is a bad thing.  I know plenty of people who are sick of seeing Samsung commercials on TV 24/7 and being bombarded with Galaxy posters every time they go to the mall.

post #10 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The music and dancers are nice, but this has nothing to do with phones. It's just glitter and gloss.

Unfortunately in our society, glitter and gloss wins over common sense and better products. Many times.

Still, I prefer Apple's advertising. Simple, product based, gets the message across with class.
post #11 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Opposite directions indeed:  Samsung is investing in marketing, while Apple is sitting in a pile of cash and still chooses to let their main competitor out-market them by many tens of millions of dollars, and as the article notes, "Apple's product unveilings have moved to increasingly smaller venues".
 

 

It's odd that you think a measure of effective marketing is how much you spend on it.

 

Microsoft has spent a billion on Windows8/Surface advertising, but doesn't appear to have made that much of an impact.

 

And even though Samsung spent more in marketing, they were still outsold by the iPhone5 AND the older iPhone4 last quarter.

post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


That glitter and gloss has made Samsung a lot of money and has helped to make it a top competitor.

Eventually people will tire of the razzle dazzle and will be looking for someone new to cheer on.  People like to support the underdog (real or perceived). Samsung isn't the underdog anymore.

post #13 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


Unfortunately in our society, glitter and gloss wins over common sense and better products. Many times.

Still, I prefer Apple's advertising. Simple, product based, gets the message across with class.

Sad thing is the HTC One might be as good as the S4 (no doubt will have a better design) but after today it will be mostly forgotten.  Samsung will carpet bomb anything and everything with advertising to which HTC will not be able to compete.

post #14 of 109

Apple doesn't resort to generating hype - they get plenty for free. How many times has Apple released teaser images or clues about upcoming devices? They don't - the tech blogs take care of it for them. For free.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

 

It's odd that you think a measure of effective marketing is how much you spend on it.

 

Microsoft has spent a billion on Windows8/Surface advertising, but doesn't appear to have made that much of an impact.

 

And even though Samsung spent more in marketing, they were still outsold by the iPhone5 AND the older iPhone4 last quarter.

They outsold a single handset, Samsung sold far more phones than Apple did.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Eventually people will tire of the razzle dazzle and will be looking for someone new to cheer on.  People like to support the underdog (real or perceived). Samsung isn't the underdog anymore.


Hmmm... Apple used to be the underdog. I guess people have already started looking for someone new to cheer on.

 

Oh... that would be Samsung.

 

[According to your logic, Blackberry and Nokia still have a chance... Apple is definitely doomed.]


Edited by island hermit - 3/14/13 at 6:57am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #17 of 109
And it's not even really good glitter and gloss.
This is a perfect example of why Apple is #1 in brand popularity with Samsung way behind. Apple's philosophy is when you do something big, you should do it magnificently! Samsung's mime jazz dancers with a cardboard box are just like their phones %u2013 copies, uninspiring, no soul, forgettable, forgotten.
post #18 of 109
Considering Apple as Cult-Company... I dont like Apple to be this Too-Much-Advertising. But, Apple needs to be aggressive. At least it should become aggressive to stop an idiotic ripper to gain market share and spoil the industry with crap innovations like Eye-Ball-Tracking etc.
post #19 of 109
"switched to iOS from Android than left Android for iOS."

Ummmm... does anyone proof anything anymore? Nevermind. I know the answer. :P
post #20 of 109
Sammy has to pay for Hype. Apple doesn't. Apple just sends out an invitation to an event. Sammy brings out "look at me, I'm still here" tactics.
post #21 of 109

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:38pm
post #22 of 109

Fine, I'll bite. I'm a Samsung fan. I also admire Apple products. What do you need to know.

post #23 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They outsold a single handset, Samsung sold far more phones than Apple did.

Question arises as to what is your measurement of success? If unconfirmed "sold" is your measurement, then from what analysts have predicted (not confirmed) then yes, you're probably right. If your measurement is profit share, then you are incorrect.

 

At the end of the day, I have to ask, unless you're investor, why do any of you care? The amount of handsets sold does not lend any credence to whether it is a good user experience, NOR does the amount of profit a company makes off a device.

 

Edit: I find it absolutely asinine that any analyst or investor finds "shipped" units as an acceptable measurement of unit movement. Regardless the company. Imagine someone trying to pull that ridiculous move on the show Shark Tank. They would be laughed out, yet it's ok on the bigger scale? Absolutely foolish.


Edited by drewyboy - 3/14/13 at 7:15am
post #24 of 109

Meh, typical, offer to explain why people like Samsung over Apple, nobody bothers. Tis better to scream at the sky, than engage in reasonable dialogue.  

post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

It's odd that you think a measure of effective marketing is how much you spend on it.

Microsoft has spent a billion on Windows8/Surface advertising, but doesn't appear to have made that much of an impact.

And even though Samsung spent more in marketing, they were still outsold by the iPhone5 AND the older iPhone4 last quarter.

You are correct but looking at it wrong. They're never going to beat Apple but they're beating the snot out of Motorola, HTC. LG, etc...
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They outsold a single handset, Samsung sold far more phones than Apple did.

And Apple has 70% of the mobile profits, so what's your point. Apple outsold all individual handsets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Considering Apple as Cult-Company... I dont like Apple to be this Too-Much-Advertising. But, Apple needs to be aggressive. At least it should become aggressive to stop an idiotic ripper to gain market share and spoil the industry with crap innovations like Eye-Ball-Tracking etc.

How can one of the largest companies on Earth be a "cult company"? Oh, I guess fanboys buy 10 iPhones and iPads each.
post #27 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They outsold a single handset, Samsung sold far more phones than Apple did.


Well, I'm not really sure it's valid to include all of Samsung's handsets because Apple only sells smartphones. As it stands, they outsold all of Samsung's smartphones.

 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apples-old-iphone-iphone-4s-142300162.html

 

But as you say, they didn't outsell all of Samsung on dumb phones. Apple were also soundly beaten by Samsung's refrigerator sales, aircraft part sales, tv sets, sound equipment, car parts, processor and memory sales, robotics ....

 

And strangely enough, despite only having four or five core products, Apple still made more money ...

post #28 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Question arises as to what is your measurement of success? If unconfirmed "sold" is your measurement, then from what analysts have predicted (not confirmed) then yes, you're probably right. If your measurement is profit share, then you are incorrect.

At the end of the day, I have to ask, unless you're investor, why do any of you care? The amount of handsets sold does not lend any credence to whether it is a good user experience, NOR does the amount of profit a company makes off a device.

Edit: I find it absolutely asinine that any analyst or investor finds "shipped" units as an acceptable measurement of unit movement. Regardless the company. Imagine someone trying to pull that ridiculous move on the show Shark Tank. They would be laughed out, yet it's ok on the bigger scale? Absolutely foolish.

It makes sense, most products aren't sold directly by the manufacturer. Retailers buy them and then sell them. I as a manufacturer can only report what I shipped (sold to retailers) but it's not my entirely my business if the retailers actually sold them.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy has to pay for Hype. Apple doesn't. Apple just sends out an invitation to an event. Sammy brings out "look at me, I'm still here" tactics.

And what's wrong with that? It's been very beneficial and profitable to them.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #30 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You are correct but looking at it wrong.

 

Yes, of course I am ... 1rolleyes.gif

post #31 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Apple doesn't resort to generating hype - they get plenty for free. How many times has Apple released teaser images or clues about upcoming devices? They don't - the tech blogs take care of it for them. For free.

How do you know it's free?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what's wrong with that? It's been very beneficial and profitable to them.

Nothing is wrong with ads. It's all the fluff thats seems kind of pathetic. But analysts/reporters are trying to compare the two and you can't do that rationally.
post #33 of 109
"revealing that four times as many iPhone users switched to iOS from Android than left Android for iOS."

Isn't that the same thing?
post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post


 

Edit: I find it absolutely asinine that any analyst or investor finds "shipped" units as an acceptable measurement of unit movement. Regardless the company. Imagine someone trying to pull that ridiculous move on the show Shark Tank. They would be laughed out, yet it's ok on the bigger scale? Absolutely foolish.

 

If the companies are simply selling to the channel then they may not know exactly how many of their phones make it into the hands of consumers.

post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



How do you know it's free?

How do you know it's not? Besides it's highly unethical for journalists to be paid by companies to cover their events.
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what's wrong with that? It's been very beneficial and profitable to them.

It's corrupt, that's all. Brainwashing is another word for it. Or mass hypnosis.

Apple's advertising displays the product and what it can do for you. Samsung is trying to twist people's good sense and behavior. Big difference.
post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Considering Apple as Cult-Company... I dont like Apple to be this Too-Much-Advertising. But, Apple needs to be aggressive. At least it should become aggressive to stop an idiotic ripper to gain market share and spoil the industry with crap innovations like Eye-Ball-Tracking etc.

And, yet, when Apple DOES speak out about a competitor, they're criticized as 'desperate' and 'whiny'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



How do you know it's free?

Are you suggesting that Gruber, for example, is on the take from Apple?
post #39 of 109

Why would carriers keep ordering phones from Samsung if the first ordered batch is still sitting in the shelf as most of the apple fans here claim? So samsung shipped 40 million units last year when most of the ones shipped initially are still sitting and collecting dust? Stop drinking apple cool-aid and make some sense. 

post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Edit: I find it absolutely asinine that any analyst or investor finds "shipped" units as an acceptable measurement of unit movement. Regardless the company. Imagine someone trying to pull that ridiculous move on the show Shark Tank. They would be laughed out, yet it's ok on the bigger scale? Absolutely foolish.

 

The problem with repeating that old meme is twofold:

 

1) Samsung continues to ship millions to stores month after month.  Retailers don't continue to buy if the units aren't selling.

 

2) Apple likewise reports shipments to retailers as sales.  Apple is NOT reporting the retailer's end user sales.

 

Because of that, sometimes Apple's reported sales numbers are boosted by over-enthusiastic retailer purchasing, just as Samsung's were that time with its initial tablets.

 

For example, just last year, in two separate earnings calls, Cook had to explain unexpectedly large drops in iPhone or iPad sales, by admitting that end user sell-through had been millions less than the reported sales for the previous quarter.  In other words, stores bought less because extra shipped units were still sitting unsold in their inventories.

 

The upshot is, shipments being more than end user sales happens to everyone at times... Apple as well...,but it's not that common for any company, and it usually works out over the long term.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'