or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Schiller: Samsung Galaxy S IV may 'ship with an OS that is nearly a year old'

Apple's Schiller: Samsung Galaxy S IV may 'ship with an OS that is nearly a year old' - Page 2

post #41 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

This does make Apple look a little desperate.  With the first new major phone in two years (iPhone 5) *and* giving away iPhone 4's for free they were able to gain 3.5% US market share.  So what do they have to counter the S IV for the next two years?  They'll likely get a minor bump from the 5s, but that will only offset the inevitable lull they get as people stop buying the iPhone 5 waiting for the 5s release.

Apple needs to come up with some new feature of their own, rather than trying to badmouth their competition- because like it or not Android phones are tremendous- especially if you value function over aesthetics.  

Apple needs new material other than the fragmentation argument.  I think that is more of a statement designed to make Apple users think they need to stay with Apple.  People with 3 year old phones running Honeycomb are obviously pretty happy with them as they don't see a need to go out and upgrade.

If I ask Apple if my comparable 3 year old iPhone 3s suffers from fragmentation their answer will be 'no' since it will show up as being capable of running iOS6...

User:  Can I run iOS6 on my iPhone 3s and be checked off as running the latest OS?
Apple:  Absolutely!  *

* You just cant run 3d flyover, turn by turn navigation, use the new maps app, panorama mode, offline reading list, location based reminders, personal wifi hotspots, facetime, airplay mirroring, nor can you use Siri- or really any new features actually added in the last few releases of software.  Your phone will run horrendously slow, and the battery life (if it still works and you haven't shelled out a few hundred backs for Apple to replace it) will be attrocious.  You will be running iOS6 though!  Enjoy!

The problem of fragmentation is a nuisance to developers, users- not so much.  If you don't like the fragmentation on your 3 year old iPhone or your 3 year old Android phone the answer is the same for either platform- buy a new one.  If you're happy with your 3 year old phone- then obviously its not an issue to you.

Nice attempt at misdirection. The S4 will be a brand new phone without the latest updates (supposedly).

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #42 of 102
Originally Posted by Eric Hamel View Post
As much as I'm a fan of Apple products

Stopped reading right here.

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post
How about ALL of the execs just STFU and do their jobs?  

Then they get whined at for "not telling me anything". Be happy with whatever you get.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #43 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I find the things Schiller has decided to speak out on a bit strange.  

Yeah, Steve would have just said 'they're building it wrong.' instead of getting into specifics.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 102

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:42pm
post #45 of 102

That's cool of Schiller. So Android is ahead then, because iOS feels two years old (or more).

Which is more stale: iOS or Android?

Schiller is starting to sound like Steve Ballmer. Don't focus on great products. Just diss the competition.

Of course, Steve Jobs dissed the competition, but he was good at it. He seemed to be able to get away with it.

post #46 of 102
The carriers are a pain on that topic: one of the reasons I dumped Verizon: their drag on available improvements to the phones they offered got to be too much. I undertsand the challenge of the complexity of multiple variations of the same OS, but that doesn't mean I have to live with it. So I don't.

I once saw a Charlie Rose interview with the then head of Motorola where he complained energetically about how "crippled" Verizon forced their RazR to be.

A three years old phone was purchased on the three years old OS that was fitted to it so I see that as somewhat different than a NEW phone running an old OS when a newer OS has long replaced it. I certainly didn't see a reason to replace OS 6 with OS 2 on my iPhone 5 nor OS 9 on my brand new MacBook Pro! (Okay I did downgrade an Intel machine to Windows 7....) Hardware advances, that can push OS advances as well, but new hardware with old software? That's an unfortunate mismatch, losing fearures added to the more modern OS even though having basic compatibility.

Oh and with Apple selling DOUBLE the worldwide number of iPhone 5's as Samsung sold SIII's while the year old (!) 4s outsold the SIII as well while Samsung saw the SIII numbers decline.... "Desparate" isn't how I'd term Apple. Public advocation of your product is an expected thing. Samsung and just about every other vendor sure isn't shy about doing that. Where did all those billions and billions of Samsung advertizing go? A fair bit into bashing Apple: well, time and past time to push back.
post #47 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Same rehashed dated comment on multiple threads.

And just as accurate for all that.

The worldwide numbers are exactly that: Both the iPhone 5 and the 4s were larger than the SIII, whose numbers declined in that recent quarter.

post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hamel View Post

As much as I'm a fan of Apple products, I have to admit that the last versions of iOS feel outdated.

care to elaborate, first time poster?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

Its not that apple doesn't play the volume game, Apple lost the volume game to samsung. Now all they have left is the profit margin. How is having a high profit margin good for the consumers? Doesn't it mean they are overcharging the customers for something that isn't worth as much? Why should consumers be happy that Apple makes the most profit off them if they buy an apple product? 

Apple has never played the "volume game" they play the profit game and continue to win that one handily.

Oh and on "volume"? Flagship smartphones world wide Apple outsold Samsung by a wide margin. SIII versus iPhone5? The iPhone had double the SIII's numbers. The iPhone 4 outsold the SIII as well.Yes Samsung totally beat Apple in washwer/dryer combinations sold: same with low end simpler phones that don't carry a good profit margin but bulk up unit sales numbers.

Is Samsung's business mission to simply hand out the most phones and NOT make any money? Amazon can actually do that becuase their Kindle is a loss leader to provide a nice focused gateway to their store where they expect to make back the investemnt in the Kindle distribution. Samsung doesn't do that. Does any phone hardware vendor also have a carrier network (the "store equivalent to Amazon..)? I'm not aware of any.

post #50 of 102
I think it's doubtful that the Galaxy S IV will ship with an OS that shipped Spring 2012 considering this is Samsung's flagship device and they sell a lot of them to warrant the effort of update the OS frequently.

Android 4.2.2 dropped on 11-FEB-2013. That is the OS I expect to see if the device is shipping more than 6 weeks from now.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #51 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I wonder how solid that intel is about it shipping with 4.1 instead of 4.2. If Schiller is wrong that would be pretty embarrassing. 

Schiller is not really a good spokesperson for Apple. There is something just very uninspiring, bland, goofy, and he just doesn't come across as really bright even though I am sure he is. I think Apple needs to hire a new person for their events that is a really good speaker, has charisma, the looks, the ability to mesmerize the audience. It should not be a Steve Jobs clone by any means, but someone talented at public speaking capable of really giving a great presentation and Tim and Phil and no other Apple exec seems up to the job. 

Like others I think it looks better for Apple to ignore the competition, or if you attack pick some better criticisms. Your average consumer doesn't care about fragmentation or a year old OS as long as it works for them. But Apple better get on the ball with advertising. The new iPad commercials with words flashing quickly then with an annoying group speak of a word and that God awful music sucks. Worst part is they extended it to the iPhone as well. Either hire a new ad agency or tell the current one to get their head out of their asses and make some better adverts. Even Target, Sam Adams, Sprite, Google Chrome seem to be able make better commercials than Apple. They need to choose some better music. History Channel for example chose that song by radioactive called welcome to the new age that caught my attention so much that I looked it up and bought the song. I doubt anyone will be looking up the song for current Apple commercials. 

Here is that song:

I disagree "ignoring" the competition leaves THEM all the public awareness space to control the entire competitive dialog. Countering the competition is why it's called "competiton". IMHO 

The specific criticissms that got quoted were the editors choices from all accounts, when writers and editors want click-bait it's going to be hard to control. 

post #52 of 102
Quote:

If Schiller is wrong that would be pretty embarrassing.

How can he be wrong? Where did he claim that it would ship with year old OS?

post #53 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsteve View Post

Phil hurt Apple mightily with these comments. He drew terrible press on the morning TV shows by saying negative things about Samsung. As one TV commentator put it, "talk is cheap." I hope that Schiller and Apple learn their lesson from this one. If Phil doesn't have something constructive to say then he should keep his mouth shut. No one is interested in his attacks on Google, android, or Samsung. If Apple has better products then it should release them. Since Apple has not had any totally new products since the Ipad, how many years ago, Phil should be at Cupertino working, not wasting time talking to the press. The way to compete with Samsung is to COMPETE. For Apple/Phil to trash Android with talk is ridiculous. Apple should be embarrassed about what Phil said and he should be rebuked by the CEO.

Ok, so Sansung has some different sizes but other than a few layer cakes on top if Android how can people say that a year old version if a OS is both "innovative and fresh"?

Samsung didn't make Google Voice but they did bring the stylus back.

What Samsung has done better than others is realize and market Androids potential but at some point Android will run up against the same wall Apple has hit, over familiarity with the OS and its feature limits.

Android will seem stale in the near future as well.
post #54 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:

I think Apple needs to hire a new person for their events that is a really good speaker, has charisma, the looks, the ability to mesmerize the audience. It should not be a Steve Jobs clone by any means, but someone talented at public speaking capable of really giving a great presentation and Tim and Phil and no other Apple exec seems up to the job. 

If they did hire a presenter it would have to be somebody that was already pretty well known - sort of like hosting the Emmys. That way they could get around the tradition of someone high up in the management team giving the presentation. If they just hired some good looking but unknown sales/marketing guy it would be an admission of failure of the executive team.

post #55 of 102
Quote:

Anyway, here is a wish list for iOS 7. Not my list but I agree with nearly all of them. 

[...]

I like a lot of those ideas.

post #56 of 102

What's up with the formatting?

3. Live Icons for Weather and Clock

But the screen is "too small to see those things".

6.Better Multitasking View (Viewing All Screens at once, similar to Mission Control)

Waste of resources for zero gain. A user honestly couldn't distinguish things that small, and it would vastly increase the amount of time spent on finding what you want.

8. A "Kill All" button for the multitasking bar

Unless you're listening to multiple music streams at once, why is this needed?

11. Ability to add photos to Photo Stream (After the photos have been taken)

Do you mean if Photo Stream was off when the photo was taken? Why would that have been the case?

12. Ability to add folders within folders

Unnecessary. Just allow folders to SCROLL INTERNALLY, solving the need for multiple folders for one genre of whatever. 

15. A native iOS application to view cellular data usage and data plan information (or a sheet of information when the carrier name at the top is tapped)

Settings.

24. Apps update automatically in the background. (Every time the device is plugged in, locked, and connected to Wi-Fi)

Just the option, right?

25. Animated Wallpapers for Lock Screen and Home Screen

Frippery. lol.gif

29. Ability to find words in a particular note in the Notes Application

Been able to do that since searching was added…

41. Ability to split iPad's screen to truly multitask

The point being what?!

56. Display detailed battery info when battery icon on status bar is tapped 

Like what?

59. Movies, TV Shows, and Music Videos have their own sections in Videos app

They… do… Always have.

70. Better use of extra screen estate in iPad lock screen

For what?

77. Ability to download music files online, and save them to Music.app

Never going to happen.

87. Apple made themes to customize OS wide objects (such as Notification Center, Notification Banners, e.t.c).

Already has that.

101. Option to put Time Stamps on every message

They're already there; just not visible directly from iOS.

You repeated a few, but I like these:

10. Ability to download and save files from Safari (unified place where all downloads are stored)
14. A native iOS dictionary application (or the ability to type the word into spotlight for definitions)
17. Ability to add photos to notes in the Notes Application.
18. Ability to set text color and use text formatting in the Notes Application
19. Ask Siri to check where your iDevices are located (Integration with Find My iPhone)
20. A Weather app for iPad
21. EQ access from the Music application
26. Low Battery Alert appears as a banner instead of a pop-up
31. Group video chatting in FaceTime (More than 2 people)
34. Ask Siri for language translations
35. When Wi-Fi or cellular data connection is not available, have Siri automatically turn off and switch to voice control
36. Ask Siri to record Voice Memos
40. Ability to ask Siri for the latest headlines
49. Advanced camera settings for camera app (effects, timers, and exposure settings) 
53. Find My iPhone can't find devices that are turned off, so have a passcode required to turn off the device, so thieves can't turn it off
63. Have the devices detect when you're at home, or connected to your home Wi-Fi, and automatically turn off the passcode
65. If Facebook and Twitter accounts aren't integrated and logged into, don't display the option to share them on the share sheet at all
76. Siri integration with Wikipedia
90. Siri API for developers, and the ability to control which apps have access to Siri through Settings.

14's done already, though, isn't it? Just highlight a word.

post #57 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

Well, Apple hasn't updated Mountain Lion for about 6months.

Apple.  Don't do this.  So disappointing. 

Apple Does yearly updates and they immediately are available on several generations of products.  They have never released a new phone on a old os.  Each New iPhone has shipped with a new OS providing 100s of new features and upgrades. Shortly there after the update is made available for at least the previous two generations.  My 2001 generation Quick Silver is running Leopard which came out 10 years after I bought it. You should be disappointed if Apple was putting Lion on new computers they are selling as new. 

post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

Yea Schiller, keep bashing the competition like a crybaby. Way to stay classy. That will make Apple look better in the media right? How about making iOS better instead of being jealous and insecure? As far as I am concerned, android 2.3.6 can do everything iOS 6 can. 2.5 years old android OS is as advanced a your current iOS. 

bashing like a crybaby...being jealous and insecure... 2.5 yr old android as advanced as current iOS??

You should be banned just for being silly.

post #59 of 102
I was worried that TS would do a point by point comment 1smile.gif.
post #60 of 102
It is very possible that he was approached by the reporters a day before galaxy 4 to get a feel of what he thinks....
It would be better if one could read the whole interview rather than excerpts.... To see these comments in context....
post #61 of 102
Every OS has fragmentation. Not everyone updates right away. Older users may not even realize there is an update available. I wonder how many users are still using iOS 5.x. Granted its probably not nearly as bad as Android, but it still exists here.
post #62 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

It is very possible that he was approached by the reporters a day before galaxy 4 to get a feel of what he thinks....
It would be better if one could read the whole interview rather than excerpts.... To see these comments in context....

Don't be silly. Out of context comments make the best sound bites. 1smile.gif
post #63 of 102
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
…sound bites. 1smile.gif

This just in, jungmark hates music.

post #64 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

He is the head of marketing for the biggest consumer goods company in the world. "Being pissed" is not a good reason to do anything -- it is his job to think before he acts/speaks, and I assume he has (thought).

But making sure the message you intended to give in the first place is actually properly presented is important.

post #65 of 102
Quote:

Someone had to take him to task.

post #66 of 102

And now if anyone else wants to reply to specific points, I cleaned away his formatting to make the text go more smoothly.

post #67 of 102

Doesn't really matter if it's true or not, or what the actual context was, this comes across as mud-slinging, and as a lack of class from one of the classiest outfits around.  Phil needs to be more careful.

censored

censored

post #68 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Apparently he followed up this interview with another at Bloomberg where he repeated some of the same talking points. That's according to Bloomberg tweets.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #69 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How can he be wrong? Where did he claim that it would ship with year old OS?

According to the AI article he said it would.1hmm.gif

post #70 of 102
I don't see the points of these comments. They come as defensive and whiny.

And signing up for 9 accounts? Seriously? I'd say, I'm a tech-savvy user who does a lot of things on my smartphone. My first Android device, I signed into one account: my google account.

I'm not a fan of marketing lies. From any company.
post #71 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I don't see the points of these comments. They come as defensive and whiny.

And signing up for 9 accounts? Seriously? I'd say, I'm a tech-savvy user who does a lot of things on my smartphone. My first Android device, I signed into one account: my google account.

I'm not a fan of marketing lies. From any company.

that's samsung.

post #72 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to the AI article he said it would.1hmm.gif

Ah, yes, they do use the incorrect "will" in the first sentence only to follow it up many paragraphs later with his actual quote, "And that extends to the news we are hearing this week that the Samsung Galaxy S IV is being rumored to ship with an OS that is nearly a year old."

Schiller's next sentence is circumspect as it implies the rumour as accurate by saying "Customers will have to wait to get an update" despite that being the case with all devices that ship with upgradable SW. There is a waiting time for some software at some point along the way. I consider that follow up comment to be trollish since it's designed to be taken as a whole and yet he still allows himself room to justify it if it came to it. It really does come across as desperate to me.

post #73 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Desperation.

yep... one would need to brain dead to think anything of this, or a Geek.

post #74 of 102

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:45pm
post #75 of 102

I like a little offense from the #2 guy or lower.  From Cook, not so much, but from Schiller this is perfectly reasonable--and valid.

post #76 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I like a little offense from the #2 guy or lower.  From Cook, not so much, but from Schiller this is perfectly reasonable--and valid.

I think it depends on the circumstances. As a general rule you don't want to mention your competitor's brand unless it's already highly tainted and therefore mentioning it will do nothing but make you look better. For example, in Apple's long running Get A Mac campaign they only used "PC" until Vista was so badly regarded that using Windows Vista by name was helpful.

There is a flip side though. Recently Blackberry was questioned about what they've learned since the iPhone came on the scene. The question was dodged so much that it stood out and made Blackberry look weak.

The key is control.

post #77 of 102

Apple has stooped to a new low -- stock wise, strategy wise, execution wise, and leadership wise... So happens its products, design, OS, and software still rock! But Cook & Company are running the company like a committee of Steve Balmers. 

post #78 of 102
Quote:

In regards to whether iOS feels dated I also agree. Let me say that I still prefer iOS to Android but not by as wide a margin as I used to.

Anyway, here is a wish list for iOS 7.

<snip>

Yep, the majority of those are totally valid. There are a lot of really terrible UI inconsistencies to boot (Want to share multiple pictures? Well to select them, all you need to do is hit Edit (!?!?), then the arrow button - no wait, here it's a button with a text label 'Share', the share button was in another Apple app...), shake-to-undo is just bizarre, deleting items in lists is totally inconsistent (Here, you swipe to the right... But here you hit 'Edit' because that swipe won't work...), switching apps is really awfully done (and yes, thumbnails would certainly be identifiable on any iPad, and if you just had 4 per screen they'd be visible on the phone too!), and so much more...

The window/view API and multitasking paradigm are in many ways tuned to devices with next to no memory, which makes doing a really nice paradigm like the 'sheets' on Pre more challenging, particularly because every app has 1 window/view active, so showing for example your email inbox along with 2 compose 'windows' you have open is something apps today just aren't coded for. But then... Please, just change it and make it work! (And for GOD'S SAKE don't push the same crappy paradigm into OSX - compose an email while in fullscreen and that window modally blocks your inbox? Seriously? It's bad enough to have that happen on iOS, let alone on the desktop! Sorry, but I digress...)

Apple has never been about keeping everything the same. Critics have always said quite the opposite, that Apple would throw their developers under the bus if they came up with a better way to do stuff. APIs change or are discarded in order to make things better. There are many many many things they can improve in iOS at this point - devices are faster, higher resolution, and have more memory! - and it's really going to hurt Apple if they don't get moving again.

iOS was a revolution when it came out, but it needs a huge polish and advance release, and that hasn't happened for several years at this point. You can charge premium prices when you have a clearly better product. If they don't move ahead and demonstrate that they are still doing that, they're going to lose their dear profit margins and prove Wall St.'s fears right, which I'd hate to see.

post #79 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Agreed.

Um, what "if" Schiller was right and the OS is a year old - winner! It alone immediately will get a lot of mentions today once the G4 is released. Some of you DON'T understand PR. Apple wins because they could in turn be right and torpedoes Samsungs ad campaign how old Apple is - Get it? I preface by saying that it's a gamble. If Schiller knows something we don't and got it out there as spin - then smart move.

If he's wrong --- on the other hand then... Then it's another Apple PR blunder....outside of Apple blowing the barn doors off with something amazing in iOS7
post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Um, what "if" Schiller was right and the OS is a year old - winner! It alone immediately will get a lot of mentions today once the G4 is released. Some of you DON'T understand PR. Apple wins because they could in turn be right and torpedoes Samsungs ad campaign how old Apple is - Get it? I preface by saying that it's a gamble. If Schiller knows something we don't and got it out there as spin - then smart move.

If he's wrong --- on the other hand then... Then it's another Apple PR blunder....outside of Apple blowing the barn doors off with something amazing in iOS7

That would be interesting if the rumours he mention turn out to be true but it seems odd that he would mention it more than 24 hours before the event which I think would give Samsung enough time to scramble to change how they will ship the device. Or maybe being right or getting Samsung to scramble is a win-win either way.

I personally don't think it's likely it will have a year old OS but that's just me.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's Schiller: Samsung Galaxy S IV may 'ship with an OS that is nearly a year old'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Schiller: Samsung Galaxy S IV may 'ship with an OS that is nearly a year old'