or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New iPad . . . . Backup?

New iPad . . . . Backup?

post #1 of 5
Have a iPad with theLightning power cord. Is it possible to do a backup to an external drive using the Lightning cord?
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredf5 View Post

Have a iPad with theLightning power cord. Is it possible to do a backup to an external drive using the Lightning cord?

Nope. The OS isn't written to work with external storage in such a way. Probably won't ever be. You'll have to backup via iTunes to a computer or use iCloud. Or look into jailbreaking and see if someone in that realm has sorted out such a use

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #3 of 5
The inclusion of a fast data transfer method really goes to waste on a iPad doesn't it. Not only can I back up my entire drive on my Google Nexus 10 by connecting a external drive directly to the tablet but the recovery bios has a feature to backup the system, software, and all data to a single rom file. I can create rom files and save them by date for future recovery.

Not saying you should by a Nexus just stating that iOS really is one of the most closed systems on the market today. I would pay twice as much for an iPad if it had OSX on it. Windows 8 on a x86 tablet is also very easy to backup and I personally prefer it over iOS.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #4 of 5
Too bad . . . Apple's control of certain procedures detracts from a good system.
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by retiredf5 View Post
Apple's control of certain procedures detracts from a good system.

Not in this case, it doesn't.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New iPad . . . . Backup?