or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4 - Page 4

post #121 of 271
I think it's great if Apple feels some competition -- it should stimulate them to achieve more. It would be nice, though, if the American press would cheerlead sometimes for Apple instead of their Korean rival.
post #122 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The device and the 'stick' have a link that if one gets too far away from the other an alert goes off.

That might get annoying. The other part is if its constantly looking for it like bluetooth streaming, it will kill your battery.

post #123 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes of course keep taking surveys until the iPhone wins then stop.

Well that sounds like what they did.  Every survey that has come out the iPhone has won by a long shot.  Just not this one.  

post #124 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Apart from the rather obvious conclusion that phones with 5" screens form a minimal part of Android market share, cheaper Android phones which range from sub 3" and up screens make up the bulk of Android sales.

 

Which is why there is this disparity.

That's precisely my point. As the number of Android phones with large screens is now already higher than the number of iPhones being sold, we'll see Android gains in internet usage. 

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #125 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Because after Y2K and WMDs people don't fall for scare tactics anymore.

They are just stupid then. One has nothing to do with the other. I guess you say there are no cyber criminals trying to access your banking info.  Having a phone that is worse secure than Windows ever was is not good, because most  people actually do online banking now when it was rare during the XP days.  I try to avoid Google at all cost because I even noticed that if you search for something obscure through them, you will start getting emails about that subject.  I don't use Gmail so I find that unsettling that they are tracking me close enough to know my email address to share with their advertisers.  

post #126 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

 

Huh? The survey made no claim to be a comparison of Android vs. iOS. It reported the degree of satisfaction users felt with their phones. It turns out that users of four other phones reported being happier with their choice than people who bought iPhone 5s.

 

Of course, we don't know who or what was asked or how, so it's a pointless report, like pretty much any similar report (including those that reflect more positively on Apple).

 

Anyway, if you want a comparison of OS satisfaction, you're looking at the wrong report.

What is puzzling is that if this was a random test why wouldn't the Samsung phones be included since they sell far more than the others and have the same software.  

post #127 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's precisely my point. As the number of Android phones with large screens is now already higher than the number of iPhones being sold, we'll see Android gains in internet usage. 

If you posted some evidence to that effect I certainly didn't see it. If you could post it again I'd certainly appreciate it, as well as what you define as a large screen.

Also, I can see the logic of a larger screen being better for internet usage but anecdotally I use my iPhone for internet usage a lot more than my iPad, which is mostly used for apps that may or may not use the internet. In fact, I have used my cellular so little on my iPad (500MB for nearly a year) that I finally dropped the $10 month fee for adding it to my phone account. I can tether via my iPhone if needed, but that's just it, I don't need.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #128 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

What is puzzling is that if this was a random test why wouldn't the Samsung phones be included since they sell far more than the others and have the same software.  

 

Satisfaction wasn't as high.  They were in the survey, but ranked lower than the phones pictured.  And in comparisons I've seen of brands, HTC is the highest rated Android manufacturer (and Apple is the highest overall).

post #129 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

First.

Try harder next time.
post #130 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

1) no price was mentioned?
2) no battery life mentioned?
3) terrible acting?
4) does it wipe my ******?

Well, it is not made for 3 years old. And older kids usually can wipe their ***** on their own.
post #131 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Maybe you should read the article before posting. The conclusion is:

 

Samscum's entire business model has been quite simply, take what Apple started and make it bigger and flashier. That model will not serve them well forever, Apple will shift the goal posts again.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #132 of 271
Does it look the same to their previous phones to you? It does to me...
post #133 of 271

Samsung's days of innovation are over . . . SELL!

post #134 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Does it look the same to their previous phones to you? It does to me...

It does, but then Apple gets accused of that all the time, especially on their second run of the same styling like with the 3GS, 4S, and presumably 5S. Based on what I've seen I think it's a good update for those that like the Galaxy S III.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #135 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't remember - something like 6 months. But the point is that you'll get updates for your iPhone. Odds are slim that you'll get updates for your Android phone.

The discussion is not about Android phones in general, but flagship Samsung phones, and they do get updates
post #136 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'm not sure what side of the fence you are on with your comment so I'll post a general reply. The Galaxy S IV will ship with 4.2.2 which came out 11-FEB-2013. That's only 30 days ago.

As for only being an incremental update from 4.0 this is where I take issue with Google's odd numbering and naming conventions. 4.0 is API Level 14, 4.0.3 starts API Level 15, 4.1 starts API Level 16, and 4.2, from last November, starts API Level 17. No matter how you slice it this device is not being released with a year old OS.

I guess you factor in the 2nd quarter release which adds 0.5 to 3.5 months to that 30 day prior release cycle but that's still great for an Android device, even a high-end Android device, and with the success of the Galaxy S III I think anyone who wants to buy a large screen Android-based phone with OS updates should look into the Galaxy S IV. I don't see any reason the numbers won't be there to make it advantageous for Samsung to keep this device updated for a year or two after it goes on sale.

API Levels are not representative of a New OS. Their next full update will be 5.0.  Each of their major updates includes at Kernel update. 2.2 was Linux kernel 2.6.32   4.0 was Linux kernel 3.0.1.

Since Linux is up to 3.8 they should be doing a full update soon. As far as keeping it up to date for 2 to 3 years they may have already moved to the OS they are working on by then. Updating would mean you were still attached to Google for services so to update you would come to them.  

post #137 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

That is not a new OS.  It is a minor update, like iOS' update two weeks ago.  Android 4.0 is the last major update which was a year an a half ago.  A year before iOS 6.

No, 4.2 was the last major version, released late last year.
post #138 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

API Levels are not representative of a New OS. Their next full update will be 5.0.  Each of their major updates includes at Kernel update. 2.2 was Linux kernel 2.6.32   4.0 was Linux kernel 3.0.1.

Since Linux is up to 3.8 they should be doing a full update soon. As far as keeping it up to date for 2 to 3 years they may have already moved to the OS they are working on by then. Updating would mean you were still attached to Google for services so to update you would come to them.  

If you add new APIs you add new things that developers can do that they couldn't do before without creating their own solutions. I'm not saying that 4.2 over 4.0 is the same jump as 4.0 fom 3.0 but it's a different OS and to say that 4.2.2 somehow means Schiller was right, especially when there is no 5.0 from Google is being disingenuous.

I don't even know where to begin with the argument that a kernel update is required for it to be an OS update.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #139 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's precisely my point. As the number of Android phones with large screens is now already higher than the number of iPhones being sold, we'll see Android gains in internet usage. 

 

Where are the figures that back this statement up?

 

What real world data shows is exactly the opposite.

 

Why can't people understand that the bulk of Android market share is made up of cheap and low end devices.

 

Samsung released figures for it's high end phones, 30,000,000 in a little over two years, assuming another 10-20 million since then, these make up a small fraction of Android phones sold, of the touted "marketshare", the daily "activations".

 

It's as if people don't want to believe this simple fact, instead choosing to base observations on their own life experiences not those of the majority of Android customers.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #140 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevochan View Post

It's inevitable that Samsung will surpass iPhone sales in the US for good (not just around release).  The iPhone is no longer the cool because everyone's moms and dads have them.  Also, Justin Long, the artsy guy or coffee baristas with iPhone are also no longer cool.  

Samsung has Lebron James, etc....

Surely this is sarcasm. The SG3 couldn't beat the two y.o. iPhone 4. I can't stand LBJ. I don't remember a TV show about his smartphone decision. Sammy probably paid for his endorsement while other "cool" people bought iPhones on their own and Apple thought to put them in commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

CNN reports it will be released at the end of April. 16GB/$199 32GB/$249 64GB/$299 

As far as lower web use on Android, do these surveys include data accessed from apps or just browsers? I tend to use apps for accessing data on the web more than I use Safari. I have news apps, movie apps, restaurant apps, you name it. Many times easier to use a specific app than open Safari and search. Like they say there is an app for that. I imagine Android users are the same. I wonder for example if you use the CNN or pulse news app for example would that get counted in the statistics as an iOS or Android device in these surveys for browsing the web. 


Don't know but you would think people will surf the web regardless of apps. There isn't an app for every individual website.
post #141 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you add new APIs you add new things that developers can do that they couldn't do before without creating their own solutions. I'm not saying that 4.2 over 4.0 is the same jump as 4.0 fom 3.0 but it's a different OS and to say that 4.2.2 somehow means Schiller was right, especially when there is no 5.0 from Google is being disingenuous.

I don't even know where to begin with the argument that a kernel update is required for it to be an OS update.

I think Schiller is wrong. The SG4 will be on the latest OS version. You can't spin that. However who knows when it will be on the next update.
post #142 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think Schiller is wrong. The SG4 will be on the latest OS version. You can't spin that. However who knows when it will be on the next update.

I think the chances of Samsung keeping it up to date are high as I expect the unit sales and margins will warrant it. You still need to wait for Samsung to vet the OS after Google releases it but it will be as timely as one can expect from a vendor using Android.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #143 of 271

Man, I have been a reading of AI for years now... I DO WANT TO SEE articles like this, I come here for news, not only on Apple but for also to learn what the challenges are... whats going on with the #1 competitor, there is nothing wrong... AI is no less AI. Do you think REAL Apple insiders are NOT talking about this in Cupertino? like... RIGHT at the time the S4 was being launched? 

 

Come on now!  

post #144 of 271
The pressure keeps adding... Can't wait to see what Apple comes with next cycle...
post #145 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Based on what? Fanboyism? Of course they will sell, but only for those that can't think for themselves and are easily influenced by ads.

A few Android phones already beat the S4 on every metric, and the iPhone still is the best phone available when all things are considered.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324392804578360674154361886.html WSJ

"But while many of the functions are useful or innovative, a few of them didn't seem ready for prime time in a preview with journalists."


It's just about gimmicks and stupid people.



nokia

Guess who's who... http://t.co/uzhuR7mk3s
15/03/13 00:02

Only when this phone is actually benchmarked against other top Androids, can a statement about being beaten on all metrics be held true.

For example, it is realistic to expect that Samsung's AMOLED screen will have better contrast and punchier colours than Xpertia's Z screen, as observed in Xpertia's review at GSMarena.com. It also has replaceable battery compared to both HTC and Sony, which lot of people seem to like. I'm sure there will be more advantages, some real, some perceived.

Personally, I'm finding S4 a bit boring and uninspired; safe. Too much lookalike S3, which I also didn't find best looking Android in it's generation. But that's me. I'm not delusional enough to think that my personal opinion will transfer to minds of every Android user, or even majority of them. Given Samsung's previous success, it would be huge surprise for me if this phone doesn't sell a lot. A lot.
post #146 of 271

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:43pm
post #147 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Thus continuing AppleInsider's round-the-clock coverage of all things Samsung. Stay tuned for all your Samsung news. /s

 

No joke. The hit whoring 'Apple killer' etc is getting bad. Put it in the forums for those that care and leave front page etc to things that are actually about Apple.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #148 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

That's precisely my point. As the number of Android phones with large screens is now already higher than the number of iPhones being sold, we'll see Android gains in internet usage. 

U have proof? iPhone sold 48 MM is the last qtr. the 5 and 4 both outsold the SG3 and Note 2.
post #149 of 271
Everyone said the S3 was "underwhelming" after the presentation, and all tech blogs are saying the same about this phone, which admittedly looks identical with some added gimmicks. However, it doesn't matter. It will sell like hotcakes, as Samsung has positioned itself as the only Android OEM that anyone pays attention to.
post #150 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


As previously explained your numbering is leading you to false conclusions about the age of the OS.

Also remember the distribution methods involved. Apple releases their version x.0 along with new iPhone but that OS is in a developer beta for 2 to 3 months before being released. Android doesn't have that. That means that x.0 is really the developer beta with x.0.1 and x.0.2 updates coming just a couple weeks to a couple months after it's released.

4.2.2 is an incremental update but it's still the latest OS version for Android, and not unlike how iPads have shipped with Apple continuing to use the iPhone as the demarcation point. Would you not buy a new Mac because Mac OS X Mountain Lion was introduced on 16-FEB-2012? That seems silly to be but your comments seem to be pointing to Samsung holding off until Android 5.0 is released to the world which is really the same as when Apple drops an OS beta on developers for the first time.

The Age of the OS is link to the Kernel they are using.  They do major updates when they change kernels. Apple does minor updates throughout the year even adding features but the last major update was in October 2012 adding hundreds of new features.  The point is the Apple's assessment of the Age of the Android is correct.  Their API is just an internal note. The number of features and Kernel level changes defines how new the OS is.  4.1 was release July 13, 2012 Thats 9 months after 4.0 not weeks later. 4.2 was released November 13, 2012 and was so limited they didn't even have a conference for it just a press release calling it another flavor of Jelly Been.  And for the record Mountain Lion was previewed then, it was release July 25, 2012 and introduced the new iMac a couple of months later.  Not a year and a half after the last major update.  Even the iPad is different because it's OS is compatible but different.  iPad's move to Fall may have been to synchronize the OS timing.  If Apple tried to pass off these weak point updates as a New OS it they would be crucified.  Google does it and its ok. 

post #151 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley View Post

Easy for Apple to beat this:
 

 

Keep doing exactly what they have been doing and not let analysts etc design for them. 

 

Apple doesn't view this as a zero sum game, they don't do things to beat anyone because its not the war the blogs end claim. Apple has their audience, Samsung theirs and everyone has something they like. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #152 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In this case, yes you can. A few phones beat the s4 ON EVERY METRIC.

It must be true, since you used all caps to make your point.
post #153 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

. You may not like the innovations but you have to admit it offers some. 

 

It offers some new gimmicks, time will tell if they are innovations or spec whoring

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #154 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_prof View Post

Does it come with a man purse?  

Man purse or fanny pack, your choice :)

post #155 of 271

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:43pm
post #156 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Since Linux is up to 3.8 they should be doing a full update soon. As far as keeping it up to date for 2 to 3 years they may have already moved to the OS they are working on by then.

Man, think of all those Intel chipsets the phone makers are losing out on compatibility with.

 

Oh...wait...it's a phone.

 

What specific features in Linux kernel 3.8 do you feel are essential for a good phone experience?

post #157 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

.  Wonder how many of these features are copyrightable. 

 

None. Patentable and/or patented perhaps. And by whom

 

Perhaps time to do that legal section. Or race ourselves for folks complaining about all the law suit artiles

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #158 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If you add new APIs you add new things that developers can do that they couldn't do before without creating their own solutions. I'm not saying that 4.2 over 4.0 is the same jump as 4.0 fom 3.0 but it's a different OS and to say that 4.2.2 somehow means Schiller was right, especially when there is no 5.0 from Google is being disingenuous.

I don't even know where to begin with the argument that a kernel update is required for it to be an OS update.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


As previously explained your numbering is leading you to false conclusions about the age of the OS.

Also remember the distribution methods involved. Apple releases their version x.0 along with new iPhone but that OS is in a developer beta for 2 to 3 months before being released. Android doesn't have that. That means that x.0 is really the developer beta with x.0.1 and x.0.2 updates coming just a couple weeks to a couple months after it's released.

4.2.2 is an incremental update but it's still the latest OS version for Android, and not unlike how iPads have shipped with Apple continuing to use the iPhone as the demarcation point. Would you not buy a new Mac because Mac OS X Mountain Lion was introduced on 16-FEB-2012? That seems silly to be but your comments seem to be pointing to Samsung holding off until Android 5.0 is released to the world which is really the same as when Apple drops an OS beta on developers for the first time.

The Age of the OS is link to the Kernel they are using.  They do major updates when they change kernels. Apple does minor updates throughout the year even adding features but the last major update was in October 2012 adding hundreds of new features.  The point is the Apple's assessment of the Age of the Android is correct.  Their API is just an internal note. The number of features and Kernel level changes defines how new the OS is.  4.1 was release July 13, 2012 Thats 9 months after 4.0 not weeks later. 4.2 was released November 13, 2012 and was so limited they didn't even have a conference for it just a press release calling it another flavor of Jelly Been.  And for the record Mountain Lion was previewed then, it was release July 25, 2012 and introduced the new iMac a couple of months later.  Not a year and a half after the last major update.  Even the iPad is different because it's OS is compatible but different.  iPad's move to Fall may have been to synchronize the OS timing.  If Apple tried to pass off these weak point updates as a New OS it they would be crucified.  Google does it and its ok. 

 

If you look the list of new features, App added more with the latest point update.  They are not the same thing.  No matter how much you try to make a minor update a new OS its not.  They even refer to it just another flavor.

post #159 of 271
I watched part of the launch live and it was all I could do to keep from throwing up - it has to be the most obnoxious, cheesiest and ridiculous presentations I've ever seen. Embarrassingly so.
post #160 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

The Age of the OS is link to the Kernel they are using.

If you want to take that stance you'll have to defend iOS 1.0 using Darwin 9.0 and not hitting 10.0 until iOS 4.0 with each major iOS version after that getting a primary point increase in Darwin and even skipping 12.0 from iOS 5.0 with Darwin 11.0 to iOS 6.0 with Darwin 13.0.

These are just numbers. The only thing you can be sure of is that there was a change in the code between versions but you can not, in any way assert that Android 4.0 with API Level 14 is the sam as Android 4.2.2 with API Level 17 simply because you don't like Android.

Aren't there enough reasons to take a jab at Android and Samsung without forcing this silly argument that Schiller was actually correct in saying he heard rumours that the Galaxy S IV is using an OS that first shipped a year ago? I think so, and I don't think you are doing any fans of Apple or iOS any favours by holding onto your argument.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4