or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4 - Page 2

post #41 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

 

Then again those 4 others are not market leaders in sales and or profits, but are targeted and lower price smartphones.

 

This event just gave Apple a huge opportunity with its upcoming line of iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini to put their boot on Samsung and Android.

Lower priced?  Maybe marginally, all those phones were 600+ dollars to buy outright (brand new)...

post #42 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Based on what? Fanboyism? Of course they will sell, but only for those that can't think for themselves and are easily influenced by ads.

 

A few Android phones already beat the S4 on every metric, and the iPhone still is the best phone available when all things are considered.

 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324392804578360674154361886.html WSJ

 

"But while many of the functions are useful or innovative, a few of them didn't seem ready for prime time in a preview with journalists."

 

It's just about gimmicks and stupid people.

 

 

nokia
Guess who's who... http://t.co/uzhuR7mk3s
15/03/13 00:02


You might find this surprising, but you can't determine a person's intelligence by the phone they choose to buy.

post #43 of 271

Did any one notice that the S 4 is looking more like a scaled up iPhone 4 than even the S 3?  The top and bottom edges are more straight than the slightly rounded S3? 

post #44 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Very few Android phones ever have OS updates available - which is why the majority of Android phones are still running ancient versions. So even if this phone comes with the latest version (which is already 5 months old), by the time the phone is 2 years old, it will be running a 2.5 year old OS. Updates are routinely available for iPhones for years - so that's not the case with iPhones. So people who buy this phone are likely to be using it for most of its life without even the most basic security updates.

You should stick to what you know. You don't seem very familiar with Android high-end phones. You should take a little time to familiarize yourself before making blanket statements, particularly those that are easily disproven. Samsung falls down in several areas, but failing to offer any updates for it's Galaxy line isn't one of those.

 

As for the S4 announcement I was underwhelmed. At least Sammy's president was right that it was going to be more about software than hardware. What I found interesting is that several of the features sound like the rumored additions to Android itself in the upcoming Key Lime Pie version.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #45 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


You might find this surprising, but you can't determine a person's intelligence by the phone they choose to buy.

In this case, yes you can. A few phones beat the s4 ON EVERY METRIC.

post #46 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple has their work cut out for them this year. This phone will probably double the sales of the S3. It may not appeal to diehard iPhone fans, but I can really see this appealing to Android fans or for people like me wanting to stay with an iPhone but desperately wanting that larger display. You may not like the innovations but you have to admit it offers some. 

But why THAT display and not an as big but better (or equally good) display of a better phone like the new one from sony or from htc?

post #47 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

 

Then again those 4 others are not market leaders in sales and or profits, but are targeted and lower price smartphones.

 

This event just gave Apple a huge opportunity with its upcoming line of iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini to put their boot on Samsung and Android.

 

Notice the Samsung Galaxy S III is not one of them, I guess they sell on hype alone, not user satisfaction.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #48 of 271

Cut to faces of the audience, after the presentation:

 

 

post #49 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'm guessing the irony of that opening eludes you.

 

 

...except, it turns out, user satisfaction:

 

iPhone 5 ranks 5th in user satisfaction in U.S. behind four Android phones

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5-ranks-5th-in-user-satisfaction-in-u-s-behind-four-android-phones/


This survey is totally useless.  Its title tried to trash iPhone 5.  But the S 3 is not even in the top 5.  So it fails to show any comparison between the Android OS and iOS. 

post #50 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Well, for me at least the HTC DNA which my friend has is a very nice phone but it only comes in 16GB or 32GB with no option for a micro SD slot. I could buy the S4 32GB for $199 and buy a 64GB SD card for about $45 for a total of 96GB or pay $299 for the 32GB HTC and always be limited to 32GB. That is the big differentiator for me.  I also like think it has a far better camera and CPU than the HTC DNA. There is no Sony phone on my carrier so not even an option. 


Where do you get the price  that S4 32GB for $199?  Out of your own mouth? 

post #51 of 271

Strangely enough, seem to be a lot of Samsung experts on this pro Apple forum but I'll throw in my 2 cents.   For those who say HTC and Sony should be ahead, HTC has nice phones but they have done a poor job at keeping Android up to date and their battery life sucks.  From the early reviews I've seen, The HTC One is not looking good in that department either so I'm ruling it out despite the fact that Zoe looks pretty cool.   As for Sony, they have the camera that will probably be in the next iPhone (and is the same one going into the S4 I believe) but they screwed up with the software on their latest Experia which turned me off of buying it.  

 

Say what you want, I passed on the SIII as I have a Galaxy Nexus now and have been quite happy with it but I'm probably going to step up to the plate for the S4.  The MHL 2.0, the camera, dual recording and the smart gestures (the auto-rotate turn off while lying in bed is a nice carry over from the SIII), ability to use the phone with gloves on, 5" HD screen + the ability to add a memory card are what sold me.     Samsung definitely went with the software route on this announcement - the Android forums are seem to be a bit annoyed at that and many people are saying that HTC has won them over for this round.

 

Yeah, the presentation wasn't as slick as what Jobs would have done (who was known to rehearse insanely for these product launches) but then again, I don't judge a product based on the press conference and I would bet that most people here don't either (despite the fact that it seems to be important to the purchasing decision somehow - Always found the Apple crowd odd in that regard).

 

It will be interesting to see what Apple is going to push out for the iPhone now that they are being forced to rush their product cycle in order to keep up.

post #52 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In this case, yes you can. A few phones beat the s4 ON EVERY METRIC.


You comprehensively fail to understand.  You can not measure or infer a person's intelligence by what phone they chose to buy.  I know intelligent people who don't care whether they have the latest, greatest or technically best if what they have fulfills their needs.

post #53 of 271

Btw, also want to point out that there are many Android 'experts' on here who profess to know a lot about the OS but based off their comments, it is painfully obvious they have not touched the OS in 2-3 years (or maybe they played with the phone for 20 seconds at the store). 

 

Makes for funny reading for sure.  I won't name names but you know who you are.  Thanks for the chuckles.

post #54 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Furthermore, Google is pretty decent about privacy.  Their policies are on par with Apple, MS, and better than Facebook...  (for those who actually read the terms of use)

While Facebook is a privacy nightmare, you can't base your privacy comfort with an organization on their published privacy policy, you have to look at how trustworthy the company is overall. On that basis, you shouldn't trust Google with anything and you should do whatever you can to block their spyware (I.e., Google Analytics) in your browsers.
post #55 of 271

I saw the entire presentation.  A lot of gimmicks but not practical: translation, cloud sync only works if data plan is cheap enough, voice recognition is more promise than reality.  Some good ideas: dual camera taking photo/video simultaneously - dont know if the processor is fast enough to handle that, wifi song sharing, wifi gameplay probably depends on the game software.  The glove friendly, if it works, is very good for people in cold area.  Wonder how many of these features are copyrightable. 

post #56 of 271
The new Galaxy S4 looks like it has a few interesting features, but I was less than impressed overall. I'm still not sold on build quality. Even as a guy that's over 6 feet tall, I don't like the way the Galaxy phones fit in my hand. And I've had so many issues with my wife's Note II tablet to make me distrustful of Android OS. Apple may not be perfect, but the quality is second to none (This is from a guy who still uses his 10 year old iMac G4 on a daily basis) and the fit and finish are the best around. I love my iPhone 5, and still use my original iPhone as an ipod and Sirius/XM receiver. I'd love to see some new features in the next gen iPad and iPhone, but I don't think that Apple has a lot to be worried about from this new Samsung phone! BTW....what was up with that terribly hokey Samsung key note? It looked like a really bad Academy Awards ceremony or something! WOW!!
post #57 of 271

I don't think it is the size of the iPhone five that is the problem. I think it's more of iOS. it looks outdated and scale. This is one of the reason why I moved to android. iOS just have a bunch of icons on the screen and this is not enough for me. That shit is way too simple. The user interface need to change.

post #58 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


You comprehensively fail to understand.  You can not measure or infer a person's intelligence by what phone they chose to buy.  I know intelligent people who don't care whether they have the latest, greatest or technically best if what they have fulfills their needs.

But people are spending:

 

a) 700 dollars

b) 2500 dollars ( 2 years)

 

on a phone! They "don't care"? So they just close their eyes and choose one? That's being stupid. Everyone that bought an s3 was stupid. EVERYONE. fact. They had better phones on every metric for the same money or less (running android) and the superior iPhone.

 

They were stupid.

post #59 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I'm guessing the irony of that opening eludes you.

 

 

...except, it turns out, user satisfaction:

 

iPhone 5 ranks 5th in user satisfaction in U.S. behind four Android phones

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-5-ranks-5th-in-user-satisfaction-in-u-s-behind-four-android-phones/

 

A research from a company with website that doesn't work. Maybe you should find more reputable sources of smartphone satisfaction surveys. They all list iOS and the iPhone as number ONE.

post #60 of 271

The title should read "Samsung Challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S IIIS".

 

So are we supposed to be dealing with people setting/walking around and waving their hands now?!

post #61 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Cut to faces of the audience, after the presentation:

 

 

 

That was brutal and cringe worthy when at the end the MC try to get the audiences to clap for the actor.  This is a keynote for a phone that need to be shown what feature it have but it was lost in between those awful actor acting out how to use the feature.   I rather have a keynote where the presenter actually take their time and explain each feature. 

post #62 of 271

Yawn. 

post #63 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


You comprehensively fail to understand.  You can not measure or infer a person's intelligence by what phone they chose to buy.  I know intelligent people who don't care whether they have the latest, greatest or technically best if what they have fulfills their needs.

 

I think your best bet is to accept defeat.  These type of people believe what they believe no matter how much contrary evidence is shown to them.   In fact, I'm thinking he's just trolling you or perhaps he's being irrational because of how often the word Samsung shows up on this site these days?

post #64 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post
Yeah, the presentation wasn't as slick as what Jobs would have done (who was known to rehearse insanely for these product launches) but then again, I don't judge a product based on the press conference and I would bet that most people here don't either (despite the fact that it seems to be important to the purchasing decision somehow - Always found the Apple crowd odd in that regard).

 

 

Nobody is as good as Jobs.  For that matter, Tim Cook cannot match up as well.  I simply could not understand what the Samsung executive said in his presentation.  I don't think that it is necessary for him to do the presentation.  He should give just the short overview and let the American executive to do the rest.  Or better yet, he should speak to his phone in Korean and have it translated into English.

post #65 of 271

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/21/13 at 4:44pm
post #66 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


You might find this surprising, but you can't determine a person's intelligence by the phone they choose to buy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In this case, yes you can. A few phones beat the s4 ON EVERY METRIC.

 

 

Hey Pedro, what kind of phone have you purchased on your own?
post #67 of 271
Apple investors are happy tonight. No real change in phone appearance means no innovation, right? HTC wil be pleased, and everyone they sell Apple gets $8.
post #68 of 271
I am in the cyber security area, and I wouldn't touch chrom or any other Google product. For example, Chrom, even in private browsing still collects your surfing habits and the places you visited, and how many times you visited, and the list goes on. This information is stored on their servers and with little effort (because you're a Google faithful, you'll at some point would have logged into your Google account) they can tie you with what you did. Scary stuff.
post #69 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

But people are spending:

a) 700 dollars
b) 2500 dollars ( 2 years)

on a phone! They "don't care"? So they just close their eyes and choose one? That's being stupid. Everyone that bought an s3 was stupid. EVERYONE. fact. They had better phones on every metric for the same money or less (running android) and the superior iPhone.

They were stupid.

And there aren't people that spend that much on iPhones? Probably more so than any Android phone. You say you like to have decent conversations but calling people stupid for the phone they chose isn't a good way to start a decent conversation. All your remarks are inciteful and then you wonder why people are on the attack. You always talk about 'metrics' but here's a news flash for you, most people don't give a flying fcuk about metrics. So if you kindly please, STFU about them because no one cares.
Edited by dasanman69 - 3/14/13 at 6:15pm
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #70 of 271

So about that battery life???

post #71 of 271
So what is the diff between the SG4 and Note2?
post #72 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So what is the diff between the SG4 and Note2?

The stylus.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #73 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


I guess for platform popularity we'd have to look at market share stats, which tend to vary somewhat by seem to indicate an overall trend:

 


This has been discussed at length on AI.  There are surveys that found that iOS devices consume far more ad impression and video playing than Android device users.  So what do these three times more Android device owners do with their devices? 

post #74 of 271

you can hire savy engineers, you can hire cool designers but at the end of the day - if you still use a shite typeface like this, then something is missing in

your DN, freckin A. (applies to google too)

post #75 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

 

For information I want to keep private, I use LibreOffice and have everything hosted on an OwnCloud instance on my home server.  And I don't store anything ultra-sensitive on any cloud service, only on local storage (and encrypted, with physical backup).  

 

Furthermore, Google is pretty decent about privacy.  Their policies are on par with Apple, MS, and better than Facebook...  (for those who actually read the terms of use)  If you're concerned about privacy, having your information on any 3rd party storage is risky - not simply because they might scan it and read it, but because it's possible they could get hacked, lose data, etc...

Google is terrible about privacy. They are the only major company who has been fined multiple times for purposely violating consumer privacy. In one case going as far as to hack Safari to track users who selected do not track anyway.  They can not be trusted, AT ALL!! Their purpose is to gather data on you.  The problem is if they are willing to hack another companies browser what else are they doing?   

post #76 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You realize that comparing dual to quad to octa is retarded, don't you? What the hell are you talking about? It's the same architecture? Same generation? Are they powering the same OS?

Maybe you are missing the point - one doesn't need all the power on that phone! But like Jragsota mentioned - I guess they for crummy Android OS they need dedicated cores to recover for errors! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're missing the point. They NEED 4-8 cores because Android is such a kludge and the UI is so choppy. It's really nothing to brag about. "Our OS is so bad that we had to double the number of cores, drastically decreasing battery life, in order to make it usable".

OTOH, maybe that explains the size. They aren't really interested in the screen size, but they needed such a huge battery to power the processor that they figured they might as well put in a big screen since the phone was massive, anyway.
post #77 of 271

Just a wake up call for Apple that they do not need an 'S' model. Apple needs the iPhone 6 at their next launch.

post #78 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


[...] No one has yet mentioned that Schiller was wrong about the OS version. It runs 4.2 - which is only 4-5 months old, not a year. It doesn't really matter much, though. The point he was making is valid.

 

So if I buy an iPhone 5 today, how old is the software that comes with it?

post #79 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You might find this surprising, but you can't determine a person's intelligence by the phone they choose to buy.

Perhaps, however, although, nerds may be able to solve quadratic equations they somehow manage to still say the exact wrong thing at the wrong time to a member of the opposite sex. There is more than one side to intelligence.

 

Normal people tend to prefer Apple's integrated ecosystem, especially if they can afford multiple devices. If not, they buy some cheap Android, but please don't confuse those people with Android elitist nerds. That is why there is such disparity between the Internet usage rates of Android vs. iOS. The Android nerds are constantly rebooting a new profile tweak and the novice users have no Wifi, hence neither are actually using their device to its potential. On the other hand, since Apple products just work and normal people don't screw around with hacking them, they are making very good use of their devices and the Internet usage stats and app store sales reflect that.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #80 of 271

Two words:  Not Impressed.

 

Where is the innovation ?

 

1.  2 Cameras that can take pictures simultaneously with sound?

     Ever heard of Motion pictures?

 

2.  Screen controlled by motion?

     Just how far is the phone from you that it requires using motion gestures?

 

3.  Any security improvements to get it into businesses?

     Looks like it's running the same old Android version.

 

4.  OK.  Amoled screen with 441 PPI may be nice. I have not seen it.

     But 5 inches?  WTF?

 

5.  Let's see how well it sells after all the hoopla.  

     I would most certainly choose the iPhone 5 over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

 

It's not just a matter of advertising Samsung, you need to have very innovative products.


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 3/14/13 at 6:47pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4