or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

post #1 of 209
Though it was heavily hyped, Samsung's largely iterative Galaxy S4 flagship handset is not seen by market watchers as a device that will shake up the smartphone market or have a significant effect on Apple.

Galaxy S4

After months of anticipation, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S4 in a glitzy, heavily polished primetime event in New York City's Radio City Music Hall on Thursday. The company's new premium handset is its response to Apple's iPhone 5, which debuted last September.

To analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets, the Galaxy S4 represents a refresh for Samsung, but the new handset is not a game changer. He expects Apple's anticipated "iPhone 5S" to "handily outsell" the Galaxy S4 when it launches later this year."One would believe that Samsung is crushing Apple in the mobile phone market. We believe this is complete nonsense." - Brian White, Topeka Capital Markets

In his view, one of the strong points of the new Galaxy S4 is its Super AMOLED display, which has a pixel density of 441 per inch. That's a higher resolution screen than the 326 pixels-per-inch found on the iPhone 5.

As for the rest of the Galaxy S4, White characterized it as "heavier, fatter and less refined than the iPhone 5." He noted that the iPhone 5 is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than its predecessor, the iPhone 4S, while Samsung only managed to trim 8 percent thickness and 2 percent of the weight from the Galaxy S III to the Galaxy S4.

In addition, White said the plastic casing on the Galaxy S4 is simply "no match" for the aluminum unibody enclosure Apple adopted on the iPhone 5.

Galaxy S4

"We are amazed by how analysts and the media have turned on Apple during the recent stock downdrafts with statements that Samsung is 'out-innovating' Apple," White said. "One would believe that Samsung is crushing Apple in the mobile phone market. We believe this is complete nonsense."

Also largely unimpressed by Samsung's latest offering was Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, who characterized the Galaxy S4 as an "evolutionary" update. He expects that Apple's iPhone will maintain its share of the high-end smartphone market in calendar year 2013.

Galaxy S4

Munster views the Galaxy S4 as comparable to Apple's own "S" models of the iPhone, such as the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S. Both of those handsets were relatively minor hardware updates with the same design as their respective predecessors, the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4.

"While the S4 is likely to be the iPhone's biggest competitor this year at the high-end of the market, we remain confident in our iPhone estimate for this year of 177.5 million, which includes a cheaper phone in the September quarter," Munster said. "We view the S4 as unlikely to meaningfully impact iPhone share of the high-end over the full year, but do expect it to take share from other Android phones."
post #2 of 209

So... Pretty much the same kind of (scared of the competition) rhetoric spoken when the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out last year and we all know how so very wrong those naysayers were.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 209
The S4 is a phablet. It's more like an updated Note without the stylus... Oh well.
post #4 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So... Pretty much the same kind of (scared of the competition) rhetoric spoken when the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out last year and we all know how so very wrong those naysayers were.

Nonsense. If this is the best Scamsung can do, Apple has zero worries.

Lipstick on a pig. Simply another me-too landfill product.
post #5 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The S4 is a phablet. It's more like an updated Note without the stylus... Oh well.

Nonsense... Even with a larger (441ppi) display and larger battery the Samsung Galaxy S4 is smaller/lighter than the Galaxy S3, therefore the GS4 IS a smartphone (with a larger display) just as the SG3 is/was, and most likely to be an even more successful one at that.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #6 of 209

"less refined" -- Those are two very subjective words when put together. Why can't it just be a worthy competitor to the iPhone 5? More choices for more people.

post #7 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You know that it's actually smaller than the S3, right?

post #8 of 209

"largely iterative", "evolutionary update"

while the s4 has the following changes

* body is smaller, despite a larger screen

* weight reduced

* screen is larger

* resolution is up to 1080p

* camera resolution up to 13mp

* memory increased to 2Gb

* faster cpu

* faster gpu

* newer wifi with ac support

* touchscreen has hover and glove support

* new sensors (temp/humidity)

* larger battery

How much needs to be changed to not call it 'largely iterative'

It's not revolutionary, and I do not except any revolutionary phones within the next year (flexible displays come to mind if any revolutionary new phones will be released)

Note : My next phone will be the HTC One

post #9 of 209

Yes, it's a shitty device, but you can bet it will put htc sony and motorola in huge trouble. Why? Marketing and Hype, the phone itself is second tier.

15 million per quarter for this ugly baby.

obs: it will also put apple shareholders in trouble when headlines about huge demand and Apple's doom hit the web, despite the fact that Apple will make billions and billions more than what it does now.

Tough time for stupid people, be it fandroids or Apple fanboys.

post #10 of 209

Way to go AI...reeling in the trolls one by one.

post #11 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

"largely iterative", "evolutionary update"

while the s4 has the following changes

* body is smaller, despite a larger screen

* weight reduced

* screen is larger

* resolution is up to 1080p

* camera resolution up to 13mp

* memory increased to 2Gb

* faster cpu

* faster gpu

* newer wifi with ac support

* touchscreen has hover and glove support

How much needs to be changed to not call it 'largely iterative'

It's not revolutionary, and I do not except any revolutionary phones within the next year (flexible displays come to mind if any revolutionary new phones will be released)

Note : My next phone will be the HTC One

No, the s4 is just the same shit with a few more lines for spec whores that understand 0 about tech and what makes a fast phone, a good camera, a good screen, etc. Java can't compete with cocoa performance wise. Java or html5 apps can't compete with native iOS apps. It still is a slower and inferior device (than the iPhone), that also loses on pretty much everything to the xperia z, the awesome htc one, etc.

But fear nor more, DaHarder and other trolls will like your post, and more will come and join you.

you guys are polluting the internet... Every review favorable to Apple and detrimental to some competitor has the same trolls even if with different nicknames ready to attack, even at android authority.

Edited by pedromartins - 3/15/13 at 7:41am
post #12 of 209
The last revolutionary smartphone in the market was the iPhone announced in 2007. Every phone from them on has been evolutionary. The industry keeps looking for WOW!!! At the end of the day, however, these are simply phones.
post #13 of 209

In a fandroid dreamworld, Samsung out-innovates Apple again, fits a ridiculously high resolution display in the same phone size as its older flagship phone. With 8-cores to boot. Temple Run is smoother. Apple is Doomed. /s

lol.gif

What to do with such high dpi is just the android app developer's headache now. And seriously, who (or what app) really uses all those GHz and cores? Other than Android OS ofcourse. Food for thought, Specs fans.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #14 of 209
Funny how the trolls come out of the woodwork like roaches for certain articles. It's not just Samsung articles either, they'll often come to pooh-pooh new Apple products.

General rule of thumb, the more there are the more likely their opinions will turn out not to be accurate.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #15 of 209
I agree. S4 will continue to attract people that think bigger phone is better. An important number can be used to gauge whether S4 is a game changer by surveying S3 owners how many of them want to switch immediately to S4 like iPhone users do the switching from generation to generation. If the number is small then S4 is not a game changer. For one thing I have not seen any troll on AI that said he/she will jump to S4 from S3.
post #16 of 209
2big. 2plastic. 2much res(what's the point?). 2saturated colors of amoled screen.
nfc fingerprint (start of iWallet) of ip5s will really be the game changer, not this.
post #17 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No, the s4 is just the same shit with a few more lines for spec whores that understand 0 about tech and what makes a fast phone, a good camera, a good screen, etc. Java can't compete with cocoa performance wise. Java or html5 apps can't compete with native iOS apps. It still is a slower and inferior device (than the iPhone), that also loses on pretty much everything to the xperia z, the awesome htc one, etc.

You're missing the point completely, never did I say the S4 is perfect, the best (android or overall) phone or anything else. I just said that you cannot call a device where every single element of it has been updated an 'iterative' update. Why you're turning this into a android vs ios discussion is also a riddle to me.

post #18 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

What to do with such high dpi is just the android app developer's headache now. And seriously, who (or what app) really uses all those GHz and cores? Other than Android OS ofcourse. Food for thought, Specs fans.

It's PenTile so when you remove 1/3 of the pixels to make it an even sub-pixel count it's on par with what Apple has been using in the iPhone since 2010. The difference is likely that the color accuracy is still way off which is something I'm not willing to trade away in a display simply so I can us half-truths to say my display has a higher PPI.

post #19 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I agree. S4 will continue to attract people that think bigger phone is better. An important number can be used to gauge whether S4 is a game changer by surveying S3 owners how many of them want to switch immediately to S4 like iPhone users do the switching from generation to generation. If the number is small then S4 is not a game changer. For one thing I have not seen any troll on AI that said he/she will jump to S4 from S3.

That's an excellent point. Apple has repeat customers because they like Apple's fit and finish in every aspect of the device. Selling 'a' feature isn't how you get customers to care about your brand.

I personally think it's a good evolutionary step to the S III and I think they'll sell a lot of these but in no way do I think this evoke the same feeling that is felt from something as refined as an iPhone. It's like someone with a plastic digital calculator watch trying to say how it's better than your precision crafted watch. It's the argument of a child to say that PenTile pixel countare more important color accuracy or that a 13 Mpx camera is more important than the image sensor size.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/15/13 at 7:52am

post #20 of 209
Quote:

But fear nor more, DaHarder and other trolls will like your post, and more will come and join you.

you guys are polluting the internet... Every review favorable to Apple and detrimental to some competitor has the same trolls even if with different nicknames ready to attack, even at android authority.

I don't have much experience with Android, but a guy at the bus stop had one and it looked like a nice one, but it sputtered when he was scrolling on FB. I've heard the Android phones can scroll too fast, but then sputter too. iOS is just smooth and stable.

post #21 of 209
"In his view, one of the strong points of the new Galaxy S4 is its Super AMOLED display, which has a pixel density of 441 per inch. That's a higher resolution screen than the 326 pixels-per-inch found on the iPhone 5."

I think the guy does not even realize that the S4 still use a crapy PenTile screen which makes the comparison with the iPhone 5 totally pointless. At "441" PPI (which is not the real PPI given the pixel arrangement), a PenTile screen is still total crap. Can someone say to Samsung that we are in 2013!!!
post #22 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

You're missing the point completely, never did I say the S4 is perfect, the best (android or overall) phone or anything else. I just said that you cannot call a device where every single element of it has been updated an 'iterative' update. Why you're turning this into a android vs ios discussion is also a riddle to me.

This happens whenever the new iPhone is released too ("iterative and evolutionary rather than revolutionary"). As someone else pointed out, since the iPhone was announced in 2007, pretty much every other smartphone (including newer iPhones) has been iterative and evolutionary.

post #23 of 209

Yes, the Samsung S4 was largely an evolutionary update. But then so was the iPhone 4S and the 5 that followed it and assuming we get an iPhone 5S as opposed to a fully redesigned iPhone 6 then that too will be an evolutionary update.

And you know what? That’s fine, smartphones are becoming like computers and for a few years at a time you’ll see mainly internal updates as opposed to complete over hauls.

The smartphone market is no longer exciting, sad but true.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #24 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

"In his view, one of the strong points of the new Galaxy S4 is its Super AMOLED display, which has a pixel density of 441 per inch. That's a higher resolution screen than the 326 pixels-per-inch found on the iPhone 5."

I think the guy does not even realize that the S4 still use a crapy PenTile screen which makes the comparison with the iPhone 5 totally pointless. At "441" PPI (which is not the real PPI given the pixel arrangement), a PenTile screen is still total crap. Can someone say to Samsung that we are in 2013!!!

If I were working at Samsung and I knew my market cared more about specs than about quality I think I'd have chosen PenTile, too, over going with a non-Pentile display of the same sub-pixel density which gets you 332 PPI. If you're customers are ignorant and foolish why not play up to it. We see it all the time with ads for children's toys (and redneck truck rallies.)

post #25 of 209

We have all these trolls that come here just to spread FUD, but i have to say something...

After reading some news on some blogs (I like android, i have an android phone. In fact, i love android, i would love a nexus from LG, i just think Apple's devices and strategy are better) i came across something.

Not all android fans are stupid and retarded like the ones we see here, and not all android blogs are apple-bashing sites. Far from it.

Some sites have really great comparisons and great reviews and nicely illustrate the pros vs cons of choosing a given smartphone. Obviously, on those sites, stupid fandroids (like the ones that come here) get irritated, but you can ignore them.

Sites like these, objective reviews like these, should help some of you to understand and even like Android for what it is. You can love Apple, prefer the iPhone by a large margin, but still like Android and choose a cheap but good smartphone (like the nexus) when you can't justify 700 euros.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-apple-iphone-5-169810/

When using logic and facts, anyone can see that you cannot call the gs4 "superior" or "better" than the iPhone, or some android devices. It's a great read.

Kudos to them.

post #26 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I were working at Samsung and I knew my market cared more about specs than about quality I think I'd have chosen PenTile, too, over going with a non-Pentile display of the same sub-pixel density which gets you 332 PPI. If you're customers are ignorant and foolish why not play up to it. We see it all the time with ads for children's toys (and redneck truck rallies.)

Or use a s-lcd3 like the HTC One, smaller 4.7" screen, full RGB and 1080p, so 461 (real) PPI

post #27 of 209
I watched a hands on vid last night of it, over on The Verge. It stuttered and lagged when dragging down the notification tray and again while taking pics.

This analyst is also silly: 441 ppi vs 326 ppi. Seriously? Retina is retina, although that is Apple's term...a few more ppi does not really matter for most things. Same with the camera, larger MP doesn't mean better photos...

I guess people that are ignorant would see this as spec'd higher than the iPhone 5, but its really just Samsung throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Do you know this thing has a "temperature sensor" in it? Why?
post #28 of 209
The slogan " life companion " - very stupid . Am I gonna use it 50 years later ? My wife ?
post #29 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

The slogan " life companion " - very stupid . Am I gonna use it 50 years later ? My wife ?

To be fair, many marriages are shorter than a 2 year contract lol.gif.

post #30 of 209

The narrative lately among the trolls and the Apple haters has been that Apple is somehow losing it and that it is doomed because of Samsung. The FUD has been reaching epic proportions lately. lol.gif

All of the talk, hype and useless garbage spewed means nothing now, because we have now finally seen the real deal, the product that was so heavily anticipated and hyped up by the foolish, the ignorant and the feeble-minded, and it is a complete disappointment, a real dud that is not likely to impress many. It doesn't matter how much Samsung spends on their ad campaign or how many times that they rent out Radio City Music Hall. 

Samsung should stick to making refrigerators and Apple hating trolls should go and find another forum, because frankly speaking, I'm getting tired of all of the Fandroids and Apple haters infesting this place lately. They're like a bunch of unwanted cockroaches and are about as welcome as HIV.

The fact remains that Apple still rules the mobile world in virtually all areas of importance and Fandroids still suck, and so does their platform of choice.

post #31 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

sales figures of the galaxy s2 are higher than that of the galaxy s3.
(as are sales figures of iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 individually). so...

post #32 of 209
Why are companies competing in doing higher then retina displays? The eyes cant see the difference.

More pixels = more battery more GPU/CPU recourses.

But this is typical nerd/PC era thinking. 441PPI is better then 330PPI. 2Meg >1Meg. WAP > SAP and so on.

They forget that 99% of the consumers don't care. They want to know how its makes the device more useful to them.

Still... Galaxy S4 is the only Android I would buy today.
post #33 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

You do realize he's not trolling an Apple review. This is an article about the Galaxy S4. He could easily say you're trolling a Galaxy S4 article. Don't be hypocritical.

The article compares the S4 to Apple's iphone in the sense "it's not going to affect iPhone sales" so in that sense, it is a review, or comparison, and it's favorable to Apple if you read the article.

Besides, isn't this AppleInsider?  Not SamsungInsider.  So I don't think he's trolling an S4 article at all.  We're all free to have opinions but there are a lot of trolls in here lately.

post #34 of 209

"Retina" doesn't really mean a whole lot any more. All the newer handsets seem to qualify. By this time next year it won't even be valuable as a marketing term IMO.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #35 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

sales figures of the galaxy s2 are higher than that of the galaxy s3.

(as are sales figures of iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 individually). so...

I don't think that's accurate. Wikipedia lists both the S II and S III as being at 40 million shipped as of 14-JAN-2013, and JK Shin announcing yesterday that the S III shipped 50 million units.

Even if we go by performance everything points to the S III also outselling the S II in pre-orders and every time frame possible. It's not Apple numbers but for an Android-based device — or rather, a non-iPhone smartphone — it's done phenomenally well.

Unfortunately for Samsung's actual competitors their phones keep getting compared to the iPhone simply because the iPhone is the top dog. Samsung's thievery has hurt these other vendor's chance of success on a level playing field but all the world is looking at is how Samsung is still a distant second to Apple in every category.

post #36 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Why are companies competing in doing higher then retina displays? The eyes cant see the difference.

More pixels = more battery more GPU/CPU recourses.

But this is typical nerd/PC era thinking. 441PPI is better then 330PPI. 2Meg >1Meg. WAP > SAP and so on.

They forget that 99% of the consumers don't care. They want to know how its makes the device more useful to them.

Still... Galaxy S4 is the only Android I would buy today.

Their 441 is only about 330 pixels. Remember it's PenTile so it's not an RGB|RGB layout, it's an RG|BG layout. Reduce that 441 by a third to get the true pixel count.

post #37 of 209
Quote:

We have all these trolls that come here just to spread FUD

With over 18,000 "troll" mentions here at AI, 9 in just the last hour alone, it's effectiveness as an insult has pretty much disappeared. I think at one time or another nearly every active member here has been accused of being one.

post #38 of 209
Quote:

You do realize he's not trolling an Apple review. This is an article about the Galaxy S4. He could easily say you're trolling a Galaxy S4 article. Don't be hypocritical.

No Worries...It's common practice for the (self appointed) Defenders of All Things Apple here on AI to label any/every post/poster that doesn't conform to their extremely one-sided 'beliefs' a troll, even when the article's specifically about a SAMSUNG product..

Pretty ironic when the truth is THEY are the real trolls around here... and rather spiteful/disrespectful/hateful ones at that.

Anyway... Looks like Samsung has done some fine work with this new release, especially the fact that they were able to create a more powerful device with even longer battery life with an even thinner and lighter design.

2013's shaping up to be another banner year for mobile devices.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #39 of 209
Quote:

And you surely must realize you came to Appleinsider.com right?  Let it sink in.  Dont be dense.

post #40 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Their 441 is only about 330 pixels. Remember it's PenTile so it's not an RGB|RGB layout, it's an RG|BG layout. Reduce that 441 by a third to get the true pixel count.

And it's not just about the total number of pixels, as accuracy is also an important factor to take into consideration, and those pentile/amoled screens have horrible color accuracy.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer