or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer - Page 4

post #121 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Cheap, plastic, over-hyped c-r-a-p.

I'll spend a bit more for an iPhone, and will get way more than I pay for, relatively speaking, in quality, performance, lifespan and overall value. The build quality alone is worth the difference in price.

The rest of the Android market is in big trouble though. I don't see any potential high-volume competitors, except perhaps HTC, with their "One" offering, and they don't have the same high-profile sales momentum. If anyone is a "Samsung killer" though, it's them.

I agree, in a perfect world HTC would eat Samsung's lunch and snacks but unfortunately HTC doesn't have the cash to out advertise Samsung.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #122 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where did you get that idea? You walk into an Apple Store and you get a new phone. It's pretty fucking simple, but consider the chances that you have a bad battery because doing 1000 full charges that keep the device from being 80% of the original mAh within 365 days is highly unlikely.

It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.
post #123 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed? I think the word you are looking for is shortsighted, of which I will admit to as my comment did assume fairly easy access to an Apple Store.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #124 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Stop that, really. Every single high end handset is now larger than 4.7 inches.

Really? http://www.mobilephones.xal.me
The number one phone in the world has a 4" screen.
#4 has a 4.5" screen.
So the #1 and #4 phones are both under 4.7". Are you sure you want to say that every single high end handset is larger than 4.7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

There is no Apple store where I live (Princeton NJ), so while it might be fucking simple, it takes a couple of fucking hours out of my fucking day. As for 1000 full charges, I never said anything about that, but merely that my battery is not working well. Are you suggesting all the batteries are perfect?

No. He's suggesting that you have a defective battery which will be covered under warranty. If you're not close to an Apple Store, contact Apple's support number to ask them how to go about getting the unit repaired.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #125 of 209
Apple is slipping at the moment - getting complacent with its success. It's UI has not fundamentally changed much since 2007. iPhone 5 was not much more than a stretched out 4s

Samsung will most likely sell more S4 than iPhone.
post #126 of 209

It's one thing to catch up with Apple (and they are only in the ballpark really), quite another to overtake. At that point you have to innovate yourself instead of just copying, it's a whole different game.

post #127 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

You're missing the point completely, never did I say the S4 is perfect, the best (android or overall) phone or anything else. I just said that you cannot call a device where every single element of it has been updated an 'iterative' update. Why you're turning this into a android vs ios discussion is also a riddle to me.

Why not call it iterative?  They did with the iPhone 4s and almost every single part inside the iPhone 4s was upgraded and significantly.   They will with the iPhone 5s when it comes out too.  The only thing that did not change on the iPhone 4s was the screen.  everything else just about did and everyone from the android camp called it a minor upgrade.  Or the same old phone.  And this is an android vs iOS discussion.

post #128 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Apple is slipping at the moment - getting complacent with its success. It's UI has not fundamentally changed much since 2007.

What's wrong with it besides not changing? It should change if there's a problem with it.
Quote:

iPhone 5 was not much more than a stretched out 4s

But isn't it just a stretched out S3, which sold less than the stretched out 4S?
post #129 of 209
Quote:

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed? I think the word you are looking for is shortsighted, of which I will admit to as my comment did assume fairly easy access to an Apple Store.

Yeah that too. 1wink.gif
post #130 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoros View Post

Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen. This is the optimum size for smartphones and next fall, 2014, we will all have to watch Phil Schiller eat his shorts when he announces the iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen. If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.

Didn't Stannis Baratheon cut off your fingers?
post #131 of 209
Quote:

Apple is slipping at the moment - getting complacent with its success. It's UI has not fundamentally changed much since 2007. iPhone 5 was not much more than a stretched out 4s

And cars still (mostly) have four wheels and a steering wheel. How complacent the car companies have become. /s

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #132 of 209
Quote:

Yeah that too. 1wink.gif

If you think pretentious also applies to my comment please defend it. I have given the definition and I can't see how anyone can make that argument.

post #133 of 209
Quote:

If you think pretentious also applies to my comment please defend it. I have given the definition and I can't see how anyone can make that argument.

Don't you know a joke when you see one? Your suggestion was definitely more fitting, but I have been known not to admit when I'm wrong, so that was my way of saying "you're right and I'm wrong" without saying it.
post #134 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And cars still (mostly) have four wheels and a steering wheel. How complacent the car companies have become. /s

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Exactly. The beauty of the UI is in it's never changing simplicity. With all the different skins Android manufacturers use there isn't much uniformity across the platform even across models of the same maker.
post #135 of 209
It's UI has not fundamentally changed much since 2007.

WHO GIVES A FLYING FRICK?! Do you whine every time a new OS X comes out? "Aww, there's still a Dock! There's still a Menu Bar! There's still a cursor! There are still folder icons!" Come off it.

You don't have a clue why UIs stay the same. I will NEVER understand what Android users' obsession is with both case and UI changes. Are you all really that stupid? Or is it just mindless vanity and a constant, irrelevant push for what appears to be subjectively "newest"? What would possess you to WANT to relearn how to use your device (a device on which you self-proclaimedly rely and whose functionality could not possibly be replicated with an iDevice) every single time you buy a new one? Do you really have that much time to waste doing that? How many man-hours are wasted worldwide by having to relearn (and how much money is wasted by having to retrain) the use of a new device pushed out when it changes so frequently? 

Every time I boot into Windows I feel the same way. How does our civilization survive when it primarily runs on software that is this unintuitive?!

iPhone 5 was not much more than a stretched out 4s

SHUT UP. This needs to be bannable. At the very least, delete-and-infractable. You want to lie? Does that make you feel better? Go to your fricking Android websites and lie. We don't want to see it here. You don't fool us. You're just plain wrong.

Given that Samsung doesn't sell the iPhone, that's about the most obvious statement that can be made. 1wink.gif

Figured I should end with a little humor, given the force of the rest of the post. 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #136 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

LOL at the "Galaxy S3S."

I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too.

They DID copy Apple's naming scheme!  They stole the 4S name and flipped the two characters to make their phone the S4!

post #137 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHO GIVES A FLYING FRICK?! Do you whine every time a new OS X comes out? "Aww, there's still a Dock! There's still a Menu Bar! There's still a cursor! There are still folder icons!" Come off it.

You don't have a clue why UIs stay the same. I will NEVER understand what Android users' obsession is with both case and UI changes. Are you all really that stupid? Or is it just mindless vanity and a constant, irrelevant push for what appears to be subjectively "newest"? What would possess you to WANT to relearn how to use your device (a device on which you self-proclaimedly rely and whose functionality could not possibly be replicated with an iDevice) every single time you buy a new one? Do you really have that much time to waste doing that? How many man-hours are wasted worldwide by having to relearn (and how much money is wasted by having to retrain) the use of a new device pushed out when it changes so frequently? 

Every time I boot into Windows I feel the same way. How does our civilization survive when it primarily runs on software that is this unintuitive?!

SHUT UP. This needs to be bannable. At the very least, delete-and-infractable. You want to lie? Does that make you feel better? Go to your fricking Android websites and lie. We don't want to see it here. You don't fool us. You're just plain wrong.

Given that Samsung doesn't sell the iPhone, that's about the most obvious statement that can be made. 1wink.gif

Figured I should end with a little humor, given the force of the rest of the post. 

The most interesting consideration of the all-to-frequent concern troll rant about the boring, stale UI is the current state of Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Windows 8 changed their UI and has to date been the single worst Windows release in the history of the company.

Change for the sake of change is the worst possible idea. I am certain we will see changes in iOS 7, changes that improve the user interface without removing the highly intuitive feel.
post #138 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Nonsense... Even with a larger (441ppi) display and larger battery the Samsung Galaxy S4 is smaller/lighter than the Galaxy S3, therefore the GS4 IS a smartphone (with a larger display) just as the SG3 is/was, and most likely to be an even more successful one at that.
You forgot (intentionally) to mention its pentile. So it's actually not such an advance as you make it out to be.
Keep the wheels spinning boy.
post #139 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I watched a hands on vid last night of it, over on The Verge. It stuttered and lagged when dragging down the notification tray and again while taking pics.

This analyst is also silly: 441 ppi vs 326 ppi. Seriously? Retina is retina, although that is Apple's term...a few more ppi does not really matter for most things. Same with the camera, larger MP doesn't mean better photos...

I guess people that are ignorant would see this as spec'd higher than the iPhone 5, but its really just Samsung throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Do you know this thing has a "temperature sensor" in it? Why?
When it overheats as the droids are busy rooting it.
I'm not sure if the term rooting means the same as in the US, but in Australia it's slang for sexual intercourse.
Opens up all weird possibilities down in the basement.
Edited by hfts - 3/16/13 at 3:11am
post #140 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No Worries...It's common practice for the (self appointed) Defenders of All Things Apple here on AI to label any/every post/poster that doesn't conform to their extremely one-sided 'beliefs' a troll, even when the article's specifically about a SAMSUNG product..

Pretty ironic when the truth is THEY are the real trolls around here... and rather spiteful/disrespectful/hateful ones at that.

Anyway... Looks like Samsung has done some fine work with this new release, especially the fact that they were able to create a more powerful device with even longer battery life with an even thinner and lighter design.

2013's shaping up to be another banner year for mobile devices.
Exactly what Appe did with the iPhone 5, and even more. I bet you any money you mocked the iPhone 5.
post #141 of 209
Quote:

Sure, marketing terms do fall away as they become standard but let's remember that Apple did this with great battery life in 2010 on a smartphone, in 2012 with a 10" tablet and notebooks. There is still a long way to go, especially on PCs for everything to get to a point that Retina will no longer be used.

Let's also remember that at a 332 true PPI this is the first Galaxy S series phone that qualifies as being Retina-quality and it's not due out until the end of April 2013.
So samdung is 3 years behind Apple.
post #142 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

People are really making too much of an issue out of this screen. It is more than adequate for what is intended to be a mass market device. If the screen really bothers you, Samsung and others are producing plenty of phones that do not use PenTile. They chose PenTile apparently for longevity since it seems to last longer, especially the blue subpixels apparently. If PenTile is noticeably inferior surely there would have been far more vocal and widely publicized complaints about the S3. The Note 2 interestingly enough uses a non-PenTile OLED display. 
At 1920 x 1080, the shortcomings of PenTile will be very hard to notice except under extreme magnification. 
But the truth is most users would never notice the difference, unless someone would specifically point it out. Display purists might have some talking points but it won't resonate with the typical consumer that simply want a big bright display easy on the eyes which the S4 will deliver. Few will notice or care about having a PenTile especially if to their own eyes they can't tell any difference. 

I would agree that it is largely an iterative upgrade, but so will most if not all phones released this year. We have reached a point where a lot was already packed into the previous generation and there is not a lot more you can add or change to the point that it wows. Maybe a game changing device is down the pike in the future, but I doubt it will happen this year. 

Much of the software seems gimmicky and will probably not be used. The one exception is the camera stuff which might gain some appeal. Overall I think one of the most impressive notes of interest is the fact that it is smaller and lighter than the S3 while managing to include a .3" larger display. That is an area where I think Apple could improve by making a new iPhone not much larger than the 5 but with say a 4.5" display. Although Apple would have no choice but to go wider a bit, but it could still be nearly the same size as the current model. I think that would be the best compromise between the two camps asking for larger or stay the same size. 

Samsung decided on a pretty safe and standard "S" type upgrade that will sell well especially with their $400M advertising campaign along with it. Apple has a real opening this year to really pull ahead again. I hope they decide to go for it and not play it safe with a similar S upgrade as rumors suggest. A larger display option, fingerprint sensor, 128GB, and a big iOS 7 upgrade could really turn perceptions around and excite Apple fans again who have felt a little disheartened as of late. Failing that, add Commander Data's voice as an additional option to use instead of Siri. 

But Apple did this for the iPhone 5 before samdung. Plus samdung only now has retina quality display 3 years after Apple. So to me, samdung is just catching up, watch Apple race ahead like they always do.
post #143 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

I bought my first iPhone in 2008 and I have been an avid proponent... I have read a great deal of comments on both sides of the fence. The reality for me though is simple, in 4 years there has been moderate to somewhat understated improvements in the iPhone. The ability to customize the experience is extremely limited. To this extent both Andriod and Windows phone allow the user to personalize their experience. While the Galaxy 3 to 4 may not be an evolutionary jump, to me, it is more exciting than the iPhone 4S to 5.

In addition, the iOS updates have inflicted a great deal of pain. Apple knowingly inflicted the pain and instead of allowing us to roll back to a working version, they forced us to wait for another update. Further contributing to the problem is that bugs in the software resulted in measurable company losses.

At the end it is a simple decision that will not be measured by specs alone. It will be influenced heavily by my confidence in Apple. That said, Apple has lost my confidence with the recent actions and the Galaxy IV will replace the iPhones in both my home and company.
I keep on repeating what samdung did here is similar to what Apple did for the iPhone 5, but much more in Apple's case.
Bigger screen, much lighter and thinner. Faster processor and improved battery life.
At a greater extent than samdung did for the s4.
Samdung are simply playing catch up, that's all.
Edited by hfts - 3/16/13 at 3:14am
post #144 of 209
The s4 isnt very user friendly, you need to be literally a genius to know how to use all the software features on the phone like the eye tracking and photo features. Someone who is new to smartphones will be extremely confused with the s4, and I predict many people will be returning this phone.
Edited by quest01 - 3/16/13 at 6:14am
post #145 of 209
Quote:

Hang on a sec... The Volkswagen Beetle was produced in pretty much the same form from 1938 until 2003. The Mini in the UK was produced with minor changes in form from 1959 until 2000. Why must a design change every 6-months to a year?

When a design is functional and reaches it's pinnacle why tear it apart and put something else in it's place. 

I know we are living in a disposable world but this is getting ridiculous.

post #146 of 209
Quote:

There is no Apple store where I live (Princeton NJ), so while it might be fucking simple, it takes a couple of fucking hours out of my fucking day. As for 1000 full charges, I never said anything about that, but merely that my battery is not working well. Are you suggesting all the batteries are perfect?

Sorry, just joined today, but I live outside Philly and I know they just opened one in the Willow Grove Mall. Not sure if this helps at all, can't wait to continue posting! 1smile.gif

Insert Witty Comment Here
Insert Witty Comment Here
post #147 of 209
I'm mystified by the lack of restraint shown by Samsung in both their phone and the presentation. Does anyone know if there is any regard given to the concept of simplicity in Korean culture? Without trafficking in stereotypes, can it be said that Koreans have a higher tolerance for complexity and detail, and less of a tradition of cutting down on clutter in their design traditions?

Some examples: India favors an abundance of detail in clothing, jewelry and decor, and it carries into other areas like their cuisine or their filmmaking. Japan is diametrically opposite in favor of simplicity. America (except recently for Apple) has a high tolerance for messiness.

What Samsung is doing reminds me of what Hyundai is doing recently in their car body designs: adding features and elements with little regard for coherence. Is this a cultural thing? Seems like Samsung has definitely jumped the shark on this one.
post #148 of 209
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
I'm mystified by the lack of restraint shown by Samsung in both their phone and the presentation. Does anyone know if there is any regard given to the concept of simplicity in Korean culture?

Japan is diametrically opposite in favor of simplicity.

Hmm. That should tell you about Korea, then. They've always been big on copying the Japanese. Though they don't seem to be practicing it as of late.

post #149 of 209
Quote:

Have you ever tried watching a video on a larger screen. It is a MUCH better experience...

Yes, that's why watching videos on phones, or even tablets, of any size, is stupid. 

post #150 of 209
Quote:

Yeah but, the guy complaining lives 20 miles from a couple Apple Stores, Bridgewater and Edison.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #151 of 209
Quote:

Funny how the trolls come out of the woodwork like roaches for certain articles. It's not just Samsung articles either, they'll often come to pooh-pooh new Apple products.

General rule of thumb, the more there are the more likely their opinions will turn out not to be accurate.

Don't you just love their John C. Dvorak impersonations though?

post #152 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

Have you ever tried watching a video on a larger screen. It is a MUCH better experience...

Yes, that's why watching videos on phones, or even tablets, of any size, is stupid. 

You wouldn't say that if you were a parent with 3 kids in the backseat on a long drive through boring countryside...  I'm so bored... Are we there yet?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #153 of 209
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
You wouldn't say that if you were a parent with 3 kids in the backseat on a long drive through boring countryside...  I'm so bored... Are we there yet?

We used to have a 12" CRT TV+VCR combo that could run off of a cigarette lighter plug. On our family vacations, we popped that sucker in the back seat and went to town.

Kids these days. lol.gif

post #154 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. That should tell you about Korea, then. They've always been big on copying the Japanese. Though they don't seem to be practicing it as of late.

Maybe it's a matter of rising to their own level of accomplishment. It is truly amazing what they've been able to do with TVs, cars, cameras and phones in two or three decades. So now they may have come into a period of irrational exuberance, with no doctrine of restraint or simplicity to hold their designers in check.

America went through this in the 1950s with tailfins and chrome. They lost the TV industry to Sony because the Americans thought they were making elaborate living room furniture while the Japanese approach was making better screens.

Jobs, Ive and company have a huge advantage with their doctrine of simplicity, but the droidheads and the tech press have yet to recognize it. Instead they've convinced themselves that predictability and simplicity are "stale" and "boring."

Samsung is trying to bring the nightmare that was the 50s in America back. It makes me sad. I lived through that. As M3dik mentions, the appearance of the VW Bug was a huge relief at the time. They took over 10% of the market as I recall, because Detroit was doing a Samsung/Hyundai at the time. But if it was only that, 10% wasn't enough.

This is the main reason I can't stand to see Samsung poisoning the mobile phone market, and the tech press and the "analysts" sucking it up. Not to mention some notable posters here . . .
Edited by Flaneur - 3/16/13 at 11:03am
post #155 of 209
Sometimes more is less.
post #156 of 209
Many people want a bigger much bigger screen but an iPad mini is still too big. People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3. I think for THAT reason people will be making switch. And if Apple introduces a LARGER iPhone 5S or 6 this year, I for one will be pissed. I have the iPhone 5 and I had to succumb to the small screen of the 5 bcuz I could no longer tolerate the crappy OS of Android in my Galaxy 1.
post #157 of 209
Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post
Many people want a bigger much bigger screen…

Really?

People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3.

Not gonna touch this one.

And if Apple introduces a LARGER iPhone 5S or 6 this year, I for one will be pissed.

Enjoy that false entitlement. I don't buy that they would, but even if they did there's no reason to be upset.

I have the iPhone 5 and I had to succumb to the small screen of the 5 bcuz I could no longer tolerate the crappy OS of Android in my Galaxy 1.

"Succumb", huh. Well, at least you get that Android is trash. It's a start!

post #158 of 209

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #159 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, how are they going to be able to make, "Are we there yet?" jokes with their spouses when they're older if you don't let them have that experience now? Or learn to appreciate the countryside, if they never see it. Not having anything to do can be a good thing: you can't fulfill your dreams, if you never had a spare moment to have any.

post #160 of 209
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

Hopefully that's indicative of a change in the broader mindset that specs don't mean a flying frick if you don't have the experience to back them. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer