or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer - Page 5

post #161 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

... People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3. ...

Just euphoria, no actual ecstasy? 

post #162 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

It's disingenuous to say it has a PPI of 440 without noting it's PenTIle. Aren't the specs good enough on their own without having to resort to shady tactics?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #163 of 209
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Aren't the specs good enough on their own without having to resort to shady tactics?

It's a company whose recent financial success is based on the wholesale theft of the design of hardware from another company while using software made by a third company whose UI/X is wholesale stolen from the second. 

"Shady tactics" is the toy that comes with the meal.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #164 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Why the HTC One (just curious...)

It has the same specs as the US model, CPU wise.

You want LTE, you get the quad core snapdragon.

The octal core is the 3G International.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #165 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

...resulted in measurable company losses.

Measurable in the negative, given that Apple just had their most successful quarter, ever.

post #166 of 209
Quote:

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

Mmm...  @Relic  I hadn't noticed any recent posts from you...   How is the battle going?  Hope everything worked out all right!

Best

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #167 of 209
Quote:

Maybe, but replacing it means that I will be phoneless for a while, so not great :(

Apple don't "repair" their phones, they replace them.

You are "phoneless" for as long as it takes for a genius to go get a replacement.

I suppose you live somewhere where there is no Apple store available anywhere within thousands of miles.

post #168 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

...desperate for Apple to release a larger iPhone. I was in Europe and Asia recently and you see the Note II literally everywhere.

So why is the S4 smaller than the Note 2?

post #169 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.

If you come to Sydney, Australia there's a Samsung store, I think there's another one in Canada.

How many Apple stores would you pass getting there?

post #170 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You wouldn't say that if you were a parent with 3 kids in the backseat on a long drive through boring countryside...  I'm so bored... Are we there yet?

For that you have iPad.

post #171 of 209
Quote:

If you want LTE you won't have Octo.

post #172 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If you want LTE you won't have Octo.

That I hadn't heard. I did read that the North American model won't be getting the "Octo" version, but instead the quad-core Snapdragon 600.

I don't think it's well know that you'll never use more than 4 cores on that "Octo"-core Galaxy S IV. It's a great HW-based idea for poor performing OSes so they can use less power from time to time but it's not exactly an ideal solution in the S IV to switch between a 1.6GHz quad-core Cortex-A15 and a 1.2GHz quad-core Cortex-A7 over having a more idealized ASIC and OS.

post #173 of 209

It looks like a HUGE iPhone 3GS!

post #174 of 209
Quote:

Let's also remember that at a 332 true PPI this is the first Galaxy S series phone that qualifies as being Retina-quality and it's not due out until the end of April 2013.

So this is a lie then. 

"The Retina display on iPhone ushered in the era of super-high-resolution displays. Its pixel density is so high, your eye can’t distinguish individual pixels. The images and words are amazingly vivid and crisp. Everything just looks so real. In fact, once you see a Retina display, you’re never satisfied with anything less. Yet it remains a feature found only on iPhone and other Apple products."

http://www.apple.com/iphone/why-iphone/

It's amazing to see how they are fooling the people.

post #175 of 209
Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

sosumi.aiff

post #176 of 209

Why would I sue Apple? It's just that this new 'Why iPhone' page really sounds desperate to me. 

post #177 of 209
Why would I sue Apple?

For the false advertising you claim.

It's just that this new 'Why iPhone' page really sounds desperate to me. 

Uh… huh… 

post #178 of 209
Quote:

क्या? What part of that marketing paragraph is fooling you? Are you going to claim that Apple's Retina trademark can be found on non-Apple products? Are you going to argue that we're only in an era of high-resolution displays, not super-high resolution? Are you going to defend the small percentage of people that can discern individual pixels with the naked eye of claim you can when you put the RMBP (the lowest PPI Retina product Apple sells) just a couple inches from your face? Will you contend that it doesn't look real, that it only looks better than their old displays? Or are you going to sue because you can be satisfied with something less?

I personally would have been more vigilant in detailing the definition of Retina and communicating in a more direct way, but I don't see anything that screams they breaking the law or purposely being deceptive.

post #179 of 209

It's really simple. Back in 2010, Apple had explained that iPhone 4 display whose PPI is more than 300 hence it's retina display.

Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that. And in the ad, they claim that only iPhone comes with retina display. Whether it's their trademark or not, the technology which identifies any particular display as Retina is coming with several other handsets. 

BTW Apple also claims iOS as world's most advanced operating system. That's hilarious. Especially when Tweeter & Facebook integration were their one of the major features of iOS 5 & 6 respectively. 

post #180 of 209

Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that.

There's a whole bit about sub-pixel rendering that you're missing here.

BTW Apple also claims iOS as world's most advanced operating system. That's hilarious. Especially when Tweeter & Facebook integration were their one of the major features of iOS 5 & 6 respectively. 

So… your subjective nonsense should be taken as fact, but Apple's subjective nonsense is obvious lies. That it?

post #181 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's a whole bit about sub-pixel rendering that you're missing here.

HTC Droid DNA has full RGB display. 

Quote:
So… your subjective nonsense should be taken as fact, but Apple's subjective nonsense is obvious lies. That it?

I am not going to explain what's not in iOS. I use 4S & my dad use Galaxy Nexus. I am well aware of what I can't do with my phone whist my dad can. It's just that I am not blindsided by blatant Apple fanboyism. 

post #182 of 209
I am not going to explain what's not in iOS.

Why would you? There's an aleph-null minus one things not in iOS.

I am well aware of what I can't do with my phone whist my dad can. It's just that I am not blindsided by blatant Apple fanboyism. 

So trolling and refusal to back up your position. Okay.

post #183 of 209
Quote:

HTC Droid DNA has full RGB display. 

Your original comment was, "Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that." and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile.

Your counter to "a lot" was to list a single model. One model. I think I listed 3 models earlier on in this thread that meet or exceed the iPhone with a proper RGB subpixel arrangement but I wouldn't call that "a lot".

I understand that to troll means you aren't thinking through your position before you state it as unwavering fact but I can't imagine anyone would claim that one example is proof of "a lot."

post #184 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So trolling and refusal to back up your position. Okay.

I don't have to backup my position. It's just that Apple hasn't in their claim of world's most advance operating system. 

Quote:

Your original comment was, "Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that." and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile.

Your counter to "a lot" was to list a single model. One model. I think I listed 3 models earlier on in this thread that meet or exceed the iPhone with a proper RGB subpixel arrangement but I wouldn't call that "a lot".

I understand that to troll means you aren't thinking through your position before you state it as unwavering fact but I can't imagine anyone would claim that one example is proof of "a lot."

Do I have to give a list of each & every handsets available with RGB arrangement? This is not a word play we are playing. 

post #185 of 209
Quote:

Do I have to give a list of each & every handsets available with RGB arrangement? This is not a word play we are playing.

How about just creating a sound argument that backs up your position.

I've done a better job at defending your point and that wasn't even my goal.

post #186 of 209
I don't have to backup my position.

post #187 of 209
Quote:

It's really simple. Back in 2010, Apple had explained that iPhone 4 display whose PPI is more than 300 hence it's retina display.

Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that. And in the ad, they claim that only iPhone comes with retina display. Whether it's their trademark or not, the technology which identifies any particular display as Retina is coming with several other handsets.

They did coin the term so they're correct. It's not a mandated industry wide term and if I were the competition I'd take offense if anyone used that term to describe a display in one of my devices.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #188 of 209
Apple better not be dismissing Samsung or their latest efforts. Whatever they say to the public about the new S4, a larger iPhone has be coming off the production line soon or risk losing more market share, leverage with the carriers, and people opting out of their neat ecosystem. The one form factor is over, with its thumb sized screen. Either someone has larger thumbs or has figured out there's more to do with a cell phone than using it with one hand.
post #189 of 209
Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post
The one form factor is over, with its thumb sized screen. Either someone has larger thumbs or has figured out there's more to do with a cell phone than using it with one hand.

Or they're not using their phones. That's an option.

post #190 of 209
Quote:

Those cars with tailfins replaced the model-T, which, while simple and elegant, was a much worse car, so simple doesn't necessarily mean good.

Yes, I was making a very, very subtle point about useless features. No wonder you didn't get it. Next time I'll try to make it understandable for anyone, including you.
post #191 of 209
Quote:

Funny how the trolls come out of the woodwork like roaches for certain articles. It's not just Samsung articles either, they'll often come to pooh-pooh new Apple products.

General rule of thumb, the more there are the more likely their opinions will turn out not to be accurate.

I really hate reading through the first few comments of bad metaphors and tired talking points that add little information. As for the underwhelming statements, we read the same thing with the 4s, now they're hyping the 5s while downplaying the S4. These tech tidbits don't seem well thought out to me. It's more like they need to submit their commentary on a deadline with little time spent with the actual device, regardless of brand. 

Quote:

Their 441 is only about 330 pixels. Remember it's PenTile so it's not an RGB|RGB layout, it's an RG|BG layout. Reduce that 441 by a third to get the true pixel count.

The extreme majority of digital cameras work the same way. There are of course a couple foveon cameras and scanning backs. I read once that the bayer array design was due to the human eye being more sensitive to green light, but I'm not sure of its accuracy. Those are still reported by total pixels, even though not every raw processing algorithm interpolates to the same rasterized resolution. Differences are usually minor, but unless it's one that uses set resolutions, the variation is minimal. It can be a 20 pixel variation in one dimension from a 30-40MP camera. I realize only professional level cameras have that kind of resolution. I used that range because at the lower end, fewer output encoded raw data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tired of Jonathan Ives eyes and back to manga?

post #192 of 209
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Tired of Jonathan Ives eyes and back to manga?

Interestingly enough, I'd completely forgotten about those! Now to cry myself to sleep.

post #193 of 209

Apple has acquired fingerprint sensing technology so they could incorporate it with NFC to make it widespread standard for transactions. But it doesn't sound that much enticing. I think they will include one or more specific features which would lure the people to buy it anyway. IGZO?

Problem lies with the software. Apple has been long riding on simple UI for more than it's required. It feels static. We are living in the era where most of people can handle more functionality regardless it adds complexity. 

I am not a touchwiz fan. Only thing I like on Galaxy S III is that Samsung has used the Wolfson DAC. I still don't understand why Apple had switched from Wolfson to Cirrus Logic. Although it sounds more detailed & crisp but it lacks on 3D image and lots of reviews have mentioned that it has an electronic haze in the sound. This is the only reason why I have still kept my 5.5G iPod Video. Wolfson sounds less precise, but its timbre contains more harmonic information and sounds less electronic. 

post #194 of 209

Apple has been long riding on simple UI for more than it's required. It feels static. We are living in the era where most of people can handle more functionality regardless it adds complexity.

Why? What, you want "live apps"? The idea is that it doesn't get any more complex.

post #195 of 209

Regardless of how one feel about iPhone or Samsung Galaxy hardware or OS software, the Galaxy phones have surpassed the iPhone as the "it" phone.  

When lots of parents are sync up together on the iPhone, it's no longer a fad.  It's no longer cool to be seen with the iPhone when the next person in the grocery store line is a soccer mom who also has an iPhone looking thu Pinterest or the suits in the subway have the white iPhone headphones.  

Samsung has done a good job (and spent lots of marketing money) to be associated with LeBron James.  More street cred and cool.  

post #196 of 209
Originally Posted by bevochan View Post
Regardless of how one feel about iPhone or Samsung Galaxy hardware or OS software, the Galaxy phones have surpassed the iPhone as the "it" phone[citation needed].  

1rolleyes.gif

When lots of parents are sync up together on the iPhone, it's no longer a fad.

The implication being that Apple ever intended the iPhone to be a "fad".

It's no longer cool to be seen with the iPhone when the next person in the grocery store line is a soccer mom who also has an iPhone looking thu Pinterest or the suits in the subway have the white iPhone headphones.  

The implication being that vanity means more than having a device that actually works.

Samsung has done a good job (and spent lots of marketing money) to be associated with LeBron James.  More street cred and cool.  

By law Apple is cooler than Samsung. Who the heck is LeBron James?

post #197 of 209
Quote:

HTC, LG and Sony phones with 1080p all use full RGB pixel layouts.  Only Samsung uses a Pentile arangement...

post #198 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

HTC, LG and Sony phones with 1080p all use full RGB pixel layouts.  Only Samsung uses a Pentile arangement...

Did you mean to quote me in your reply? If so, why?

post #199 of 209
Quote:

Did you mean to quote me in your reply? If so, why?

Because you're wrong in stating that "and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile" <-- (your quote)

Yet, only Samsung phones use a Pentile arrangement, in fact, PenTile is a trademark of Samsung.  All screens made by other manufacturers use an RGB arrangement (even Samsungs LCDs do too)...

post #200 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Because you're wrong in stating that "and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile" <-- (your quote)

Yet, only Samsung phones use a Pentile arrangement, in fact, PenTile is a trademark of Samsung.  All screens made by other manufacturers use an RGB arrangement (even Samsungs LCDs do too)...

I think Motorola still uses PenTile as well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer