or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer - Page 3

post #81 of 209

well, all we know so far really is:

- the S4 is being launched with big hype, and no doubt a big ad budget.

- the S4 has a lot of spec bumps compared to the S3, but their actual benefit remains to be determined.

- Samsung is emphasizing a lot of new(ish) bells and whistles features as "innovative" differentiators.

- the practical value of these features is still uncertain - there are no full reviews yet and of course consumers don't have any experience with them yet.

- it does indeed appear Samsung is working on gradually developing its own independent ecosystem by replacing some Google-based features with its own (if it ever releases its own Maps app, that will be crossing the Rubicon).

really, that's about it so far. stay tuned.

post #82 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

We have all these trolls that come here just to spread FUD, but i have to say something...

After reading some news on some blogs (I like android, i have an android phone. In fact, i love android, i would love a nexus from LG, i just think Apple's devices and strategy are better) i came across something.
Not all android fans are stupid and retarded like the ones we see here, and not all android blogs are apple-bashing sites. Far from it.

Some sites have really great comparisons and great reviews and nicely illustrate the pros vs cons of choosing a given smartphone. Obviously, on those sites, stupid fandroids (like the ones that come here) get irritated, but you can ignore them.

Sites like these, objective reviews like these, should help some of you to understand and even like Android for what it is. You can love Apple, prefer the iPhone by a large margin, but still like Android and choose a cheap but good smartphone (like the nexus) when you can't justify 700 euros.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-apple-iphone-5-169810/

When using logic and facts, anyone can see that you cannot call the gs4 "superior" or "better" than the iPhone, or some android devices. It's a great read.

Kudos to them.

I think many of us are aware. I have repeatedly seen comments from regular members here about the quality of the HTC One.

I believe it is important to note that the review you linked does seem fair initially, the repeated reference to iOS as a "simple" operating system and Android as a "complex" operating system is clearly biased.

Ahh.... but, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!"

Any slob can do complex -- simple is tough -- takes talent, inspiration and hard work.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #83 of 209
Evidently, there was a huge crowd at Radio City for this event yesterday. However, does anyone expect that to have any correlation to sales when the device goes on sale? The market doesn't seen so excited about it relative to all the pre market into hype.

Joe
Macs4newbies.com
post #84 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I said a non-PenTile AMOLED. The S3 is PenTile. What pure AMOLED displays have you compared side by side? And darkness isn't even a complaint with PenTile, that was probably just the brightness setting for the S3 you saw not being tuned up very high, The main complaint is more greenish tint and less crisp text for example, not brightness. 

Well, when the brightness of S3 is turned to maximum, I am able to see the contrast of S3 is not as good as the iPhone.  The whiteness is not as white.

post #85 of 209

In retrospect, it's obvious that the insane number of articles about how Apple has been "falling behind" Samsung that were published prior to this event were part of Samsung's marketing campaign. Maybe we'll see slightest less feverish reporting now.

post #86 of 209

Samsung went suprisingly conservative. A tenth or so of an inch bigger screen? Black and white body choices? A screen resolution bump and some "featrures" few to none care about all add up to nothing approaching the "innovation" that's all the squeal.

I note with interest they may have decided that SIII case dimensions are the maximum since they squeezed the new screen into the same older case dimensions.

At the end of thday, IMHO, they put out an SIIIs, not that there's anything wrong with that.

post #87 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So... Pretty much the same kind of (scared of the competition) rhetoric spoken when the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out last year and we all know how so very wrong those naysayers were.

sales figures of the galaxy s2 are higher than that of the galaxy s3.
(as are sales figures of iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 individually). so...

We have sales figures for Samsung!? Stop the presses.......!!!!

/s

post #88 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

Evidently, there was a huge crowd at Radio City for this event yesterday. However, does anyone expect that to have any correlation to sales when the device goes on sale? The market doesn't seen so excited about it relative to all the pre market into hype.

Joe
Macs4newbies.com

The huge crowd were tech reporters who started mocking the event within moments on Twitter: the WiFi service apparently totally sucked (Cult of Android just gave up) and that was before the Grade D actors came on stage for their little one act playlets.... at which point "tacky" no doubt started trending worldwide.

post #89 of 209
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

With the S4, you expose the innards of the device, have a less-reliable/protective overall package (removable back) -- and get to fuss with extra batteries, and Memory cards...

I do a lot of traveling, and many times am away from any power source at all. For this reason I bought an extended battery case for my iPhone which doubles the battery life. I rarely get to the point of charging my phone at night where the extended battery hasn't taken over hours before. The only difference between that and carrying a spare battery is that I carry mine on the back of the phone itself. So even with an iPhone there are people who need longer battery life than the iPhone delivers. 

As far as memory cards, once you initially insert the card into the phone you rarely if ever remove it again. Why would you? You can transfer files via bluetooth, by email, by cloud services, or just by a USB cable to your computer. So I think that argument is pretty weak about carrying around a memory cards since you would likely only have one inside the phone and rarely if ever eject it again. How many iPhone owners, especially ones with just a 16GB version, wouldn't love the option of adding a 64GB card into their iPhone instead of trying to cull their photo, music, and video library. 

In our household of 5, we all have iPhones and iPads.   In the future we plan on buying iPhones with the least amount of storage and [continue to] max out the iPads.  The savings on iPhones more than pays for iCloud and iTunes match.  We have 2,500 songs and hundreds of photos/movies accessible via iCloud.

post #90 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If only there were some way to search for Android developers ranting about how much of a pain it is to code accurately for so many different display shapes and sizes¡

Developers love to bitch, it's what they do...  

Grab the SDK yourself and create a graphical Hello World app or something.  It's just a Java .jar, all bundled up with Eclipse.  Download and run.  All you need is a JDK (OpenJDK or Sun/Oracle Java JDK), it works on all OSes (I use Linux btw).  

Apple developers have to deal with at least 4 different resolutions too (or 2 for tablets, and 2 for phones).  In Android if you target 1080p, 720p, and qHD you cover nearly all new and popular devices from the last 2 years... 

Let's face it, all developers on all platforms deal with these things.  Even web developers.  

post #91 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Developers love to bitch, it's what they do...

I would have thought they would write code but according to you their primary goal is to make up things to complain about. Brilliant¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #92 of 209
Quote:

I would have thought they would write code but according to you their primary goal is to make up things to complain about. Brilliant¡

Hang out on some dev chat forums and you'll know what I mean.  They also love to argue about languages and tools.  

I like to code, but I do it on my own time, for my own purposes.  So I don't bitch.  Especially since I have the freedom to use whatever tools I want to, not being tied down to an employer...  

post #93 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

You know that it's actually smaller than the S3, right?

It's case dimensions are the same while it is very slightly thinner?

post #94 of 209

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Munster views the Galaxy S4 as comparable to Apple's own "S" models of the iPhone, such as the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S. Both of those handsets were relatively minor hardware updates with the same design as their respective predecessors, the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4.

LOL at the "Galaxy S3S."

I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #95 of 209
I would say when you're talking about a device that has to live in your hand and gets knocked around in pockets, bags, on tables, sat on, dropped, etc., I think it's completely reasonable (if not absolute) to conclude a plastic casing is less refined than a uni-body aluminum casing.
post #96 of 209

I don't like the protruding camera on the back of the Galaxy S4 and anticipate that it's going to be highly prone to scratches and more substantial damage.

But the real question is pricing. Neither AT&T nor Verizon have got it priced (or even available!) on their sites yet. Will the public be willing to pay $200 for a subsidized unit?  Or $650 for an unlocked handset?  Or even half that much?  We shall see.  :)

post #97 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I have one of those battery cases as well (a mophie), but I really needed to get one, since my iPhone 5's battery life is starting to degrade quite noticeably (like that of its bigger brother -- a mid-2012 retina MBP). Since apple's batteries are not serviceable, this is a major pain in both cases.

Isn't the iPhone battery under one year warranty? 

post #98 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

The slogan " life companion " - very stupid . Am I gonna use it 50 years later ? My wife ?

I expect more in the tone of "life coach" or somesuch. Especially given those lame one-act plays. 

post #99 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I don't like the protruding camera on the back of the Galaxy S4 and anticipate that it's going to be highly prone to scratches and more substantial damage.

But the real question is pricing. Neither AT&T nor Verizon have got it priced (or even available!) on their sites yet. Will the public be willing to pay $200 for a subsidized unit?  Or $650 for an unlocked handset?  Or even half that much?  We shall see.  :)

Well know by June or July I guess...

post #100 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

Joe
Macs4newbies.com

What market? And how do you know?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #101 of 209
I bought my first iPhone in 2008 and I have been an avid proponent... I have read a great deal of comments on both sides of the fence. The reality for me though is simple, in 4 years there has been moderate to somewhat understated improvements in the iPhone. The ability to customize the experience is extremely limited. To this extent both Andriod and Windows phone allow the user to personalize their experience. While the Galaxy 3 to 4 may not be an evolutionary jump, to me, it is more exciting than the iPhone 4S to 5.

In addition, the iOS updates have inflicted a great deal of pain. Apple knowingly inflicted the pain and instead of allowing us to roll back to a working version, they forced us to wait for another update. Further contributing to the problem is that bugs in the software resulted in measurable company losses.

At the end it is a simple decision that will not be measured by specs alone. It will be influenced heavily by my confidence in Apple. That said, Apple has lost my confidence with the recent actions and the Galaxy IV will replace the iPhones in both my home and company.
post #102 of 209
Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen. This is the optimum size for smartphones and next fall, 2014, we will all have to watch Phil Schiller eat his shorts when he announces the iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen. If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.
post #103 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvoros View Post

Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen. This is the optimum size for smartphones and next fall, 2014, we will all have to watch Phil Schiller eat his shorts when he announces the iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen. If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.

It's optimal and yet very few smartphones selling today have a 5" display. Even the popular S III doesn't have a 5" display. So how is something so optimal so underutilized in the smartphone market?

post #104 of 209
Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen.

Not really.

This is the optimum size for smartphones…

Not really.

If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.

Why do you people exist?

Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post
The reality for me though is simple, in 4 years there has been moderate to somewhat understated improvements in the iPhone.

Your reality is what reality calls fantasy.

The ability to customize the experience is extremely limited.

That's the idea, I think. Apple knows a little better than each individual person how HCI works. Hideous themes, stupid reorganization, and blurring the lines between functionality are all welcome in the jailbreak world, if you're so inclined.

In addition, the iOS updates have inflicted a great deal of pain. Apple knowingly inflicted the pain and instead of allowing us to roll back to a working version, they forced us to wait for another update.

What update is "broken"? What "pain" could possibly have been Apple's fault, given that YOU have to do the update?

Further contributing to the problem is that bugs in the software resulted in measurable company losses.

What "bugs", what "losses"… is there even a point to question your FUD?

At the end it is a simple decision that will not be measured by specs alone.

Which is why the iPhone stays on top, despite Android spec-whoring.

That said, Apple has lost my confidence with the recent actions and the Galaxy IV will replace the iPhones in both my home and company.

Could you tell us what company so we know not to do business with it? I, at least, don't want my information stored on a platform that unsafe.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #105 of 209

So much animosity and hate. I own an iPhone 5, but I have no ill will towards Samsung or the Galaxy S IV. I'm sure it's a nice enough device and I'm sure millions will buy it. Not everyone wants an iPhone.  I applaud competition and variety in the marketplace. 

It just pains me to read grown people using words like stupid and dumb, and just in general bashing something that is simply "different" from what we use. Grow up!

post #106 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So much animosity and hate. I own an iPhone 5, but I have no ill will towards Samsung or the Galaxy S IV. I'm sure it's a nice enough device and I'm sure millions will buy it. Not everyone wants an iPhone.  I applaud competition and variety in the marketplace. 

It just pains me to read grown people using words like stupid and dumb, and just in general bashing something that is simply "different" from what we use. Grow up!

Hear hear
post #107 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

"largely iterative", "evolutionary update"

while the s4 has the following changes

* body is smaller, despite a larger screen
* weight reduced
* screen is larger
* resolution is up to 1080p
* camera resolution up to 13mp
* memory increased to 2Gb
* faster cpu
* faster gpu
* newer wifi with ac support
* touchscreen has hover and glove support
* new sensors (temp/humidity)
* larger battery

How much needs to be changed to not call it 'largely iterative'

I don't know, but when the iPhone 4S came out, virtually every single component in the device was new except for the case design - and all the whiners insisted that it was only a minor tweak.

BTW, what's the point of 441 pixels per inch? The iPhone at 326 is retina - which means that you can't distinguish individual pixels. With a larger screen, the Galaxy 4 is likely to be held even further from your face, so even 326 pixels per inch isn't necessary. So they have twice as many pixels as they need (which will affect battery life) and will add no value to the consumer. Just another example of 'specs over intelligent design'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #108 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Maybe, but replacing it means that I will be phoneless for a while, so not great 1frown.gif

Where did you get that idea? You walk into an Apple Store and you get a new phone. It's pretty fucking simple, but consider the chances that you have a bad battery because doing 1000 full charges that keep the device from being 80% of the original mAh within 365 days is highly unlikely.

post #109 of 209
Quote:

It's optimal and yet very few smartphones selling today have a 5" display. Even the popular S III doesn't have a 5" display. So how is something so optimal so underutilized in the smartphone market?

Stop that, really. Every single high end handset is now larger than 4.7 inches.

See how many of them are sold... as much as iPhones? Even if it's half, it's a huge market! People willing to spend money.

I would love that device.

post #110 of 209

FWIW: ARM A15 optimization code just landed in LLVM/Clang.

post #111 of 209
"LOL at the "Galaxy S3S." I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too." They DID! They took Apple's 4S and switched the letter and number for their Galaxy S4!!!
post #112 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Stop that, really. Every single high end handset is now larger than 4.7 inches.

See how many of them are sold... as much as iPhones? Even if it's half, it's a huge market! People willing to spend money.
I would love that device.

Stop being objective and factual? **** no! "Every single high end handset is now larger than 4.7 inches" is neither an accurate statement about the state of the high end handset market nor is the same as saying that 5" is optimal. If you have an actual case to make that would suggest that 4" is too small and less than ideal than a 5" smartphone then make it but don't make up shit or you'll get your ass handed to you.

post #113 of 209
Quote:

.... I was in Europe and Asia recently and you see the Note II literally everywhere..... 

You apparently have a Note II strapped to your head, which can be dangerous.  You might consider waiting for Google Glass.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #114 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

If you'd ever used the Android SDK you'd know that dealing with multiple resolutions is pretty damn easy.  

And all logos, UI elements, etc..., should be in vector graphics anyway, so scaling should be trivial...  

I've used it and you're grossly oversimplifying things. Android is a fragmented mess to code for. Being able to target different resolutions doesn't magically make an App look perfect on all devices - it merely makes it compatible.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #115 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And it's not just about the total number of pixels, as accuracy is also an important factor to take into consideration, and those pentile/amoled screens have horrible color accuracy.

Interesting, so that's why the Samsung S3 screen quality looks much poorer than my iPhone 4.

I have very good unassisted vision, so the larger screens do nohing for me. But I do appreciate those with not so good close vision like a larger screen.

post #116 of 209
OMG, analyst don't see the S4 as a threat to Apple's iPhone5. Based on how accurate all these analysts have been in the past Apple should now be worried.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #117 of 209
Quote:

You joined AI today just to post this? 

post #118 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

"LOL at the "Galaxy S3S." I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too." They DID! They took Apple's 4S and switched the letter and number for their Galaxy S4!!!

Does any one know the meaning of the letter s in Samsung Galaxy phone?

post #119 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Does any one know the meaning of the letter s in Samsung Galaxy phone?

"Samsung"?  They seem to like to use that S prefix for stuff, so I imagine it's their version of Apple's "i".  Got to have a version of everything Apple does, after all.

post #120 of 209
Cheap, plastic, over-hyped c-r-a-p.

I'll spend a bit more for an iPhone, and will get way more than I pay for, relatively speaking, in quality, performance, lifespan and overall value. The build quality alone is worth the difference in price.

The rest of the Android market is in big trouble though. I don't see any potential high-volume competitors, except perhaps HTC, with their "One" offering, and they don't have the same high-profile sales momentum. If anyone is a "Samsung killer" though, it's them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer