or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Surface RT & Pro estimated to have sold 1.5M units total

Microsoft Surface RT & Pro estimated to have sold 1.5M units total

post #1 of 68
Microsoft's answer to the iPad, the Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, have stumbled out of the gates, moving just 1.5 million units since launch, according to a new report.

surfacing

Of that 1.5 million, the Surface RT, launched in October, accounts for 1.1 million, Bloomberg reporter Dina Bass tweeted on Thursday. Surface RT is meant, along with other Windows RT tablets, to be a lower-cost alternative to Apple's iPad, which moved 23 million units last quarter.

The Surface Pro, which runs a full version of Windows 8 and is compatible with legacy Windows applications, has moved just under half a million units in the weeks since its January launch. Microsoft markets the Surface Pro as more of a laptop replacement than a consumer tablet, and it is priced accordingly.

When the software giant introduced its first major foray into computing hardware last summer, a number of its hardware partners were less than thrilled at the prospect of having to compete with the company that supplies them with an operating system. Microsoft attempted to assuage OEM fears by assuring them that the Surface was meant more to demonstrate potential form factors that they could emulate, not as the opening salvo of a hardware struggle.

Since introducing the tablets, though, the company has expanded the team working on Surface hardware, with job listings hinting at a next generation of the device. There have also been rumors that Microsoft is working on a 7-inch version of the device to compete with the iPad mini. That version, according to some reports, may feature connectivity with Microsoft's successful Xbox 360 video game console.

No matter the sales of its Surface devices ? which are said to be at or near the top among Windows 8 computers ? it appears that Microsoft is not looking to exit the hardware segment any time soon. Company representatives have revealed previously that the company will keep trying to market the tablets until they find a winning strategy.
post #2 of 68
"Company representatives have revealed previously that the company will keep trying to market the tablets until they find a winning strategy."

Translation? "We'll try and sell these damn things if IT KILLS US!"
post #3 of 68
1.5M units total ? Should we laugh? Or, should we re-read the article? Come on! Not possible.
post #4 of 68

I played with one at best buy yesterday.  It wasn't bad, it wasn't great.

post #5 of 68

LOL. Remember all the breathless 'iPad killer' nonsense from tech press last October!?

What a bunch of dweebs (I mean the technorati too).

post #6 of 68
Woah! The RT is crap but I expected a lot more than that to like the Pro. And these numbers are probably half channel filling and not real sales at all too.

I think someone needs to start a "Steve Balmer will be fired ..." countdown clock or something.
post #7 of 68
Microsoft should concentrate on what they do well, hardware, and get out of the software business.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #8 of 68
Well this is obvious. The only thing I got from the ads is the keyboard clicks to the device. That and you apparently have to be a dancer to use one.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I played with one at best buy yesterday.  It wasn't bad, it wasn't great.

I think it's plain old bad hardware.  

I hate Windows personally, but after having played with the Surface RT, the Surface Pro, and a few of the Windows 8 laptops, the Windows 8 laptops win hands down.  A much cheaper and much better Windows 8 experience can be had on an inexpensive lightweight touch-screen laptop than a Surface IMO.  I don't see why anyone would actually want a Surface instead of just a plain old laptop.  

What people forget is that the Surface really is a laptop.  It's a convertible/hybrid laptop by design.  It only really works in landscape view, and even then, only when it's sitting on a table.  In those very, very few times that it's configuration could be haltingly described as "tablet mode" ... it's a horrible, horrible tablet.  

So in effect, Microsoft's response to mobile devices and tablets eating up the PC market was to ... come out with a new PC, that's not very mobile, and not really a tablet. 

post #10 of 68
I am happy for MS. Since MS keeps bashing Google, I hope their business goes well.
post #11 of 68
I knew this Windows thing was DOA...but I'm an Apple lover!
post #12 of 68
Isn't that is on par with Windows tablet sales pre-iPad?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #13 of 68
Interesting - will continue to try until they find a winning formula - Seems MS has more money than brains.

Unfortunately Windows 8 is nothing but Windows with a layer of tiles on top making it difficult to use, and with problems similar to Vista.

MS has some fantastic applications that could make them a bundle if they released these on Mac, Windows and Linux.

They should separate their applications business from the OS business.
post #14 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

LOL. Remember all the breathless 'iPad killer' nonsense from tech press last October!?

What a bunch of dweebs (I mean the technorati too).

I must have missed that. General consensus from the press I looked at was that it was an overpriced hybrid device that would confuse consumers and wouldn't even make a dent in Android tablet sales let alone ipad.

I'm amazed 1.5M have sold, I have yet to see anyone using one.

post #15 of 68
MS should focus on what they do well. Making the best mice in the computer industry.
post #16 of 68

Before the killer response to the iPhone and iPad, 1.5 million units would not have been considered to be bad performance.    But Apple has changed the entire definition of what it means to launch new successful products.   Unfortunately for everyone (including Apple) that has changed expectations to absurd heights.

I've posted this several times before, but these are the amount of times that new technologies took to achieve just 1 million units:

Months
iPad (4/2010) 28 days
DVD 21
XM Satellite 23
CD Players 28
MP3 Players 28
Radio 39
TV 40
DVR 53
VCR 58
Online Subscr. Services 114
Cable TV 144
Satellite TV

All numbers except for the iPad are from Greystone Communications, Yankee Group.   I find the TV number suspect because TV actually launched in July of 1941 and TV did not achieve 1 million units by 1945.    I suspect they mean the relaunch of TV after WWII.  

post #17 of 68
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Months
iPad (4/2010) 28 days
DVD 21
XM Satellite 23
CD Players 28
MP3 Players 28
Radio 39
TV 40
DVR 53
VCR 58
Online Subscr. Services 114
Cable TV 144
Satellite TV

What are the numbers for the first-gen iPad? That would be a much better metric.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What are the numbers for the first-gen iPad? That would be a much better metric.

Well it was 3 million in less than 3 months (80 days), so for the first gen that number would be 1 month or less.  

post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Unfortunately Windows 8 is nothing but Windows with a layer of tiles on top making it difficult to use, and with problems similar to Vista.

Can you explain what you mean by "problems similar to Vista"? I haven't heard any complaints about performance, where it seems to be better than Windows 7. (That said, I'm still not going to update my Windows 7 laptop.)

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

post #20 of 68
Queue up the "Microsoft's Tablet Growth is a 'Rounding Error' compared to Apple's iPad Market" in 3... 2... 1...

see: http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/31/steve_ballmer_calls_apples_mac_growth_a_rounding_error
post #21 of 68

Ah, it only seem like yesterday Steve Ballmer was laughing at Apple and the iphone.  Nowadays everyone is laughing at Microsoft whenever they release a product like the Surface.

post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Before the killer response to the iPhone and iPad, 1.5 million units would not have been considered to be bad performance.    But Apple has changed the entire definition of what it means to launch new successful products.   Unfortunately for everyone (including Apple) that has changed expectations to absurd heights.

I've posted this several times before, but these are the amount of times that new technologies took to achieve just 1 million units:

[…]

The Galaxy S III had 9 million pre-orders and I'm sure it sold more than 1 million units out of the gate. Then there is the Kinect which is only $150 but it's also an accessory. Oddly it still "holds" the record for fastest selling CE despite many, many Apple products far outselling it in the 90 day time frame. I guess you have to apply for the record to actually get it.

Sure the prices range from $500 to $1000 but it's still not doing well at 1.5 million units in about 5 months on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That is the original iPad from April 2010, hence the 4/10.

post #23 of 68

Some people here seem to think that 1.5m is low? I am absolutely stunned that MS has found that many victims at all. We have Surface ads airing here at least 20 times a day on almost every channel since long before Christmas. They must be burning through piles of cash... If this is anywhere similar in other countries, these sales did not even cover the marketing cost. At least the RT has already passed one milestone successfully: longer on the market than the Kin.

post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

1.5M units total ? Should we laugh? Or, should we re-read the article? Come on! Not possible.

"should we laugh?"  I couldn't help it the second I read that they only sold 1.5 million units.  COMBINED.  1.5 million units made me chuckle, but COMBINED, made me laugh uncontrollably.

post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well it was 3 million in less than 3 months (80 days), so for the first gen that number would be 1 month or less.  

Not really appropriate...

It's always relative only to the 'current market'

It's like saying the Musk's Tesla is doing great compared to the original electric car released by Nicholas Tesla in 1918.

In a market where  58M cars were sold and  GM sold 9 million cars.    Is Tesla defining the market?  Not yet.

post #26 of 68
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's answer to the iPad, the Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, have stumbled out of the gates, moving just 1.5 million units since launch, according to a new report.

I can see it now.  Next month, when Ballmer has to deliver Microsoft's earnings report.

"17,000 percent more sales than KIN!"

(P.S. 1.5 million / 8,810 peak active Kin users  = 170.26)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Queue up the "Microsoft's Tablet Growth is a 'Rounding Error' compared to Apple's iPad Market" in 3... 2... 1...

see: http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/31/steve_ballmer_calls_apples_mac_growth_a_rounding_error

I had not seen that prior story. That was within a year of the release of the iPad. I wonder what he would say now?

post #28 of 68
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That is the original iPad from April 2010, hence the 4/10.

Bah, I read 4 as "iPad 4".

post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I had not seen that prior story. That was within a year of the release of the iPad. I wonder what he would say now?

Well, something like this:

“I don’t think anybody has done a product that is the product that I see customers wanting,” Ballmer said in an interview picked up by AllThingsD. “You can go through the products from all those guys … and none of them has a product that you can really use. Not Apple. Not Google. Not Amazon. Nobody has a product that lets you work and play that can be your tablet and your PC. Not at any price point.”

This was in October. :)

post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think it's plain old bad hardware.  

I don't think so. The hardware's not that bad, but there's nothing compelling about the product - and it's price is close to more established products.

The RT is comparable to the iPad in terms of usage. Unfortunately, RT has only a fraction as many apps and no infrastructure. With the price being about the same, Microsoft has given no reason to buy the RT instead of the iPad (or Tab or Kindle or any other tablet).

The Pro is closer to a MacBook Pro or Ultrabook. It runs a full OS and 'regular' apps. Unfortunately, the Pro is every bit as expensive as a MacBook Pro - but is less usable, shorter battery life, etc. Again, Microsoft didn't give any compelling reason to buy it. The only advantage compared to an Ultrabook is the ability to use it as a tablet. Apparently, not that many people wanted that enough to give up the fact that an Ultrabook has a real keyboard and can be used on your lap.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #31 of 68

When I saw their ad, with freaky dancers swirling and clicking and pirouetting on the desks, I realized that the product was dead on arrival.

post #32 of 68
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Again, Microsoft didn't give any compelling reason to buy it. The only advantage compared to an Ultrabook is the ability to use it as a tablet. Apparently, not that many people wanted that enough to give up the fact that an Ultrabook has a real keyboard and can be used on your lap.

I wonder if Microsoft will ever catch on to the fact that their product being "not Apple" isn't good enough anymore.

post #33 of 68

Now where are all those I-want-the-surface-coz-it-is-a-real-tablet-with-pc-performance blah blah blah micro-softies? 1tongue.gif

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #34 of 68

A totally fugly UI which is unusable.  is anyone outside of the microsoft drones suprised by the low sales numbers?  Fail UI, failed on Zune, failed on Windows Phone and now has failed on  Windows. Shocking I tell you...

post #35 of 68
1.5 million stocked in inventory somewhere maybe, but sold? How many of those 1.5 million will be landfilled?
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

It's like saying the Musk's Tesla is doing great compared to the original electric car released by Nicholas Tesla in 1918.

In a market where  58M cars were sold and  GM sold 9 million cars.    Is Tesla defining the market?  Not yet.

But I definitely would like to buy a Tesla rather than a GM.  And probably may when the Model X comes out.  And I think so would any other sentient male who could afford one.  There is no driving reason to buy a Surface anything, at least at those prices when I can get the real deal from Apple for similar price point or an Android much much cheaper. 

post #37 of 68

So it sold less than that... Really less. I see them everywhere: Fnac, staples (?), etc. Collecting dust... useless garbage.

post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

General consensus from the press .... was that it ... wouldn't even make a dent in Android tablet sales let alone ipad.

Really? No reviewer in a major made a specific sales forecast claim about it not making a dent in Android or iPad sales. Here are some examples:

Pogue: "Microsoft's Surface Pro Tablet Changes the Game" ("http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/microsofts-surface-pro-tablet-changes-the-game/")

John Biggs, TechCrunch. The Microsoft Surface Pro Proves That The PC Is Back.

Scott Stein, CNET: Smart almost-laptop nearly gets it right.

Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech: Microsoft Surface Pro Review. "This is the first tablet that can truly replace your tablet, notebook and desktop if you want. No compromises, no new apps, and no waiting for Flash to die and HTML5 to take over."

post #39 of 68

I think it would be fair for Tim to say that MSFT is a low volume player

post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post

Ah, it only seem like yesterday Steve Ballmer was laughing at Apple and the iphone.  Nowadays everyone is laughing at Microsoft whenever they release a product like the Surface.

"I like our strategy, I like it a lot". Priceless! lol.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft Surface RT & Pro estimated to have sold 1.5M units total
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Surface RT & Pro estimated to have sold 1.5M units total