or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › President Obama is Historic!

President Obama is Historic! - Page 3

post #81 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What a laugh! Yes let's just ignore the Teapublicans holding the voters hostage just to get their way ( which wasn't even what the majority of voters want ). What a laugh.

The Teapublicans days are numbered.;)

I thought we were supposed to avoid the violent rhetoric?  IOKIYAD.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #82 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

What a laugh! Yes let's just ignore the Teapublicans holding the voters hostage just to get their way ( which wasn't even what the majority of voters want ). What a laugh.

No violence. They'll simply just lose their jobs in congress. You can't screw with the people who put you there without consequences.;)  As a matter of fact I think you'll see a downturn in Tea Party popularity on a whole.

Edited by jimmac - 10/29/13 at 5:49pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #83 of 112
Quote:

No violence. They'll simply just lose their jobs in congress. You can't screw with the people who put you there without consequences.;)  As a matter of fact I think you'll see a downturn in Tea Party popularity on a whole.

Leftists really do drink whatever Kool Aid is offered to them.

Obama went on TV and boasted that he wouldn't negotiate with the Tea Party over the mandate. I guess in your world, that never happened.

And anyone who can add numbers knows the predicament the U.S. is in, and why its currency is currently being devalued by the Fed's non-stop printing press policies.

The Tea Party is pretty much the only group that is desperately trying to return the U.S. budget to sanity before a serious correction takes place and Americans start dying from economic catastrophe.

We know when it happens the left will avoid all logic and blame the whole thing on Bush and his wars (because they can't do basic math and are generally dishonest people).

But to cheerlead for the demise of fiscal sanity in Congress is extraordinarily perverse.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #84 of 112
Quote:

You can't screw with the people who put you there without consequences.;) 

Good to know. Especially for politicians who knowingly lie to millions of their voters.

"If you like your healthcare plan, you will be able to keep your healthcare plan. Period.”

Barack Obama, June 2009

post #85 of 112
Quote:

And really trumpy are you trying to sell us on the idea that this spy stuff wasn't going on during the Bush years?:lol:

So we are to believe that when you elect a Democrat to solve the problems associated with electing a Republican, that the Democrat will not only keep the bad policy but double down on it. That's good to know and a really good reason never to vote for a Democrat. You don't get any new good, just double down on the bad.

Others also called you out on the violent rhetoric. The left throws it around so much now that you can't even recognize it. Are we supposed to believe that declaring that the opposition party is "holding voters hostage" is just nice civil discourse now?

Finally stop being anti-science. Nate Silver himself declared that the government shutdown will mean nothing in the next election.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So the U.S. Government was shut down, in large part because Obama refused to negotiate a delay of ObamaCare's Individual Mandate.

And now they start to issue delays in the law anyway, without getting anything in return for it?

No. It was shut down because the Teapublicans are a selfish lot who will learn a hard lesson in the next election.;)

Nate Silver disagrees with you.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I suspect that there will be a growing wave of candidates who are propelled forward by the massive dissatisfaction with Obamacare. The stories of millions losing or having their insurance cancelled, their rates increased dramatically or who are unable to even access the government website to see where they are at with regard to managing their now mandated insurance. I suspect that issue will still be very clear in the minds of many come midterm elections.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Quote:

And really trumpy are you trying to sell us on the idea that this spy stuff wasn't going on during the Bush years?:lol:

So we are to believe that when you elect a Democrat to solve the problems associated with electing a Republican, that the Democrat will not only keep the bad policy but double down on it. That's good to know and a really good reason never to vote for a Democrat. You don't get any new good, just double down on the bad.

Others also called you out on the violent rhetoric. The left throws it around so much now that you can't even recognize it. Are we supposed to believe that declaring that the opposition party is "holding voters hostage" is just nice civil discourse now?

Finally stop being anti-science. Nate Silver himself declared that the government shutdown will mean nothing in the next election.

Quote:

Quote:

So the U.S. Government was shut down, in large part because Obama refused to negotiate a delay of ObamaCare's Individual Mandate.

And now they start to issue delays in the law anyway, without getting anything in return for it?

No. It was shut down because the Teapublicans are a selfish lot who will learn a hard lesson in the next election.;)

Nate Silver disagrees with you.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I suspect that there will be a growing wave of candidates who are propelled forward by the massive dissatisfaction with Obamacare. The stories of millions losing or having their insurance cancelled, their rates increased dramatically or who are unable to even access the government website to see where they are at with regard to managing their now mandated insurance. I suspect that issue will still be very clear in the minds of many come midterm elections.

Quote:

So we are to believe that when you elect a Democrat to solve the problems associated with electing a Republican

Nope. The GOP and their Tea Party morons can be much worse.

Quote:

Others also called you out on the violent rhetoric

Translation : SDW:lol: ( what a surprise! )

Yes I know you're just praying that the current web site debacle will turn into something bigger because you've got nothing else to cling to. I wouldn't hold your breath ( unless you're fond of the color blue ).  And I could care less what Nate Silver thinks.

For those of you out there who don't know :

Quote:

Nathaniel Read "Nate" Silver (born January 13, 1978) is an American statistician and writer who analyzes in-game baseball activity (see Sabermetrics) and elections (see Psephology). He is currently the editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog and a Special Correspondent for ABC News. Silver first gained public recognition for developing PECOTA,[3] a system for forecasting the performance and career development of Major League Baseball players, which he sold to and then managed for Baseball Prospectus from 2003 to 2009.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Silver

As you may remember I'm not a big fan of Obamacare. There were so many things to fix after the Bush years I think his time could have been spent better. That said something had to have been done about our ageing healthcare system. But it could have waited.

And if you're under the misconception that I'm the only one who thinks the Tea Party's days of influence are numbered :

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/columnists/kimberly_atkins/2013/10/repubs_need_to_say_tea_party_is_over

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/us/business-groups-see-loss-of-sway-over-house-gop.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/gop-business-tea-party_n_4170508.html?tea-party

And here's a good read on the subject :

http://politics.mediapundit.net/2013/10/where-republicans-will-hurt-the-most-in-the-next-few-years.html

And remember who's been right about the nature of things when you were saying just the opposite.

I think the GOP will make a come back as soon as they get rid of those right wing extremists.

Until then they'll just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Enjoy!;)

Edited by jimmac - 10/30/13 at 5:53pm
post #87 of 112

Be careful, if you make fun of the Dear Leader, you may end up in a re-education program.

Liberals, who made fun of Bush for ten straight years (starting 2 yrs before he was even elected), were generally unavailable for comment.

post #88 of 112
Quote:

Quote:

So we are to believe that when you elect a Democrat to solve the problems associated with electing a Republican

Nope. The GOP and their Tea Party morons can be much worse.

Hey except for the classic double posting, a decent post from jimmac with you know, links and stuff. :p The situation must be getting desperate now.:D

How can it be worse? I mean we are well into the second Obama term now. There has been no real economic recovery. Inflation has been pretty massive even though government refuses to measure it. (I don't recall a typical fast food combo averaging near $7 during the Bush years as an example.) We have more people taking than making in a number of areas. Obama has borrowed more than Bush did in two terms and is on pace to borrow more than all prior presidents including Bush combined in his two terms. We won't even have much to show for it. No sparkling infrastructure. Nothing but 8 years of vote buying and America really will be California in that regard. Trillions poorer and still having plenty of crumbling bridges and fast-food jobs will be for the lucky few while most others do nothing but collect a meager monthly check.

What could be worse than that? You used to tease under the Bush years that all he had created were McJobs and that everyone had three of them to get by Jimmac. Under Obama people are lucky to have one of them and of course it will be limited to 29.5 hours to avoid the health care employer mandate.

We had the worse and Bush and Republicans lost their majority under conditions that would be declared amazing under the lowered (and thus racist) expectations for Obama.

Quote:
 Translation : SDW:lol: ( what a surprise! )

Yes I know you're just praying that the current web site debacle will turn into something bigger because you've got nothing else to cling to. I wouldn't hold your breath ( unless you're fond of the color blue ).  And I could care less what Nate Silver thinks.

For those of you out there who don't know :

Quote:

Nathaniel Read "Nate" Silver (born January 13, 1978) is an American statistician and writer who analyzes in-game baseball activity (see Sabermetrics) and elections (see Psephology). He is currently the editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog and a Special Correspondent for ABC News. Silver first gained public recognition for developing PECOTA,[3] a system for forecasting the performance and career development of Major League Baseball players, which he sold to and then managed for Baseball Prospectus from 2003 to 2009.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Silver

Well a lot of us caught some major hell because with the last major election it was clear that Obama had lost MILLIONS of supporters. They just disappeared however and never showed up in the Romney voter column. The easy thing to say is that Democrats have lost that support but that Republicans haven't picked it up yet or an event hasn't come along that will force them to apathetically engage. I suspect Obamacare mandates coming online will be such an event. The harder thing to prove and one that is pure speculation is that such groups couldn't get out the vote because they were busy being harassed by the IRS or targeted and limited in ways that made a big difference over the course of a nationwide election.

Nate Silver was declared the forecasting guru de jour and his last book covered the subject of separating signal from noise. He view is that the government shut down is "noise" that will not affect the signal of the next election cycle.

Quote:

As you may remember I'm not a big fan of Obamacare. There were so many things to fix after the Bush years I think his time could have been spent better. That said something had to have been done about our ageing healthcare system. But it could have waited.

And if you're under the misconception that I'm the only one who thinks the Tea Party's days of influence are numbered :

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/columnists/kimberly_atkins/2013/10/repubs_need_to_say_tea_party_is_over

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/us/business-groups-see-loss-of-sway-over-house-gop.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/gop-business-tea-party_n_4170508.html?tea-party

I never would have said that you are a lone voice in the woods. Of course there are plenty of media "analysts" and "columnists" who frequent the 24/7 cable news channels and repeat their talking points all day. The major media is desperate to cover for the flailing and failing Obama and so I am sure the tone and desperation of their attempts to influence will become even more extreme and strident. It won't change the nature of this debacle though with regard to health care.

I mean have you seen these plans Jimmac? Enough of who said what about whom. Have you looked at the actual plans? They are the worst of both worlds. Republicans often pushed health saving plans. I liked them but couldn't get them through my job. They were great for folks like myself who work to keep our health and thus access and spend little on health care. You had a low cost catastrophic plan and a high deductible. Your employer would pay enough to cover both and if you were a good health customer, proactive, preventative, etc. You saved the deductible and got to keep it as income. If lightening struck and you were in a major accident or ended up with cancer or what have you, then that was covered by the catastrophic portion of the plan. It was a good deal. Others still preferred HMO and PPO plans but this was offered as a way to engage people to help them lower the cost of health care.

The Obamacare plans are similar to these plans but with the cost of a PPO plan and none of the benefits. The plans are TERRIBLE and have deductibles in the thousands of dollars all while costing several hundred dollars power month.

I live in California. The ACA plans available are at www.coveredca.com. I put in my family and the cheapest plans available for us are $671 a month with a $10,000 a year deductible. That is $8052 a year and then $10,000 on top of it. What that means is that you spend $10,000 before you get to access the insurance the $671 a month offers you.

That is just insane.

People remember the promises. They were told they could keep their current plans. They were told the new plans would save most families about $2500 a year. Now they are hear and almost everyone but especially the young and the healthy are seeing increases of 200+% in their health care costs.

It truly has become a health transfer via a wealth transfer.

Quote:
 And here's a good read on the subject :

http://politics.mediapundit.net/2013/10/where-republicans-will-hurt-the-most-in-the-next-few-years.html

And remember who's been right about the nature of things when you were saying just the opposite.

I think the GOP will make a come back as soon as they get rid of those right wing extremists.

Until then they'll just keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Enjoy!;)

The only thing you were right on is Obama getting reelected. What you were wrong on is much broader. The Democrats lost the entire House and have failed to recapture it. The Republicans did not recapture the Senate but they did grow the number of seats they hold there. You'd have to be delusional to believe things have been going in the Democrats direction. Obama had no coat tails to speak of and now we have a midterm coming that will erode Democratic margins even more. Most early projections have Republicans holding the House and picking up 3-5 seats in the Senate with 6 needed to gain the majority. I don't call that great news for Democrats.

post #89 of 112

More "Obama Historic":

see link HERE:

*extracted* ...

Quote:

President Obama was overheard bragging to administration aides about his ability to kill people with drones, a new book about the 2012 campaign season that’s due for release on Tuesday claimed.

The president’s specific words: I’m “really good at killing people,” authors Mark Halperin and John Heilemann write in “Double Down: Game Change 2012,” The Daily Mail reported. They get their claim from a Washington Post report that buries the statement as a brief anecdote in an article, in which the president is described as speaking to aides about the drone program and then making the claim.

Very good. (!) So the CEO of the US just admits that "killing people" is one of his skills. OK, if this is true, then he's admitted he's a psychopath, in his own words - but does that come as much of a surprise? For me, not at all. I guess that especially in the modern world, it takes that kind of mentality - a power addict who loves to (ab)use power - to be in a position of world's chief henchman.

What other skills has this excuse for a human being exhibited in his White House tenure to date?

*Lying - he's damned good at that, perhaps as good as, or even more effective than his predecessor. At least with the Bush crew, you knew what we were up against  - we all did in the end - it was too obvious, arrogant and in your face to be able to deny it. With the underhanded, sneaky Obama team, the lies are like toxic, odorless, tasteless gas - you don't know what you're breathing until you start choking to death.

* War mongering. The recipient of the Nobel Peace (!) Prize in the White House has been responsible for 2 new wars, continuing and expanding existing ones, and allying the US with those we have been led to believe are our enemies - a bete noir set up to "justify" the reckless big government spending of >$3,000 Billion (>$3 trillion) of taxpayer funds on..... killing people - which Obama apparently does very well..... people who did NOT attack us. The targeting of people in foreign nations with drones is no better than terrorism. If the Pakistani militants attacked US targets using the same method, we would have no problem in calling it terrorism...and rightly so. Duplicity does NOT cut it.

* Sticking a big fat middle finger up at those who voted for him in 2008 - those hoping for change from from the previous 8 years of treachery, infamy and ignominy - only to get hosed in the face more of the same political effluent and slurry. Those who voted for him in 2012 deserve him for being so damned naive and stupid.

* The continuation of the worst excesses of government paranoia for example the neo-Stasi-like behavior of the NSA, clearly a rogue organization. Obama, in both his inaugurations, 2008 and 2012, swore under oath: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” If it could be proved that he knew in advance of anti-Constitutional activities by (for example) the NSA, then that would be perjury and grounds for impeachment.

* ObamaCare (!)

* Benghazi fiasco

etc. etc.

Quote:

The White House hasn’t responded to the book — but a spokesman did indicated on Sunday talk shows that the president hates

information leaks.

Don't we know this already? Obama promised in his 2008 platform that "an Obama Administration would be the most open and transparent in American history. Wow. I guess the statement "the president hates information leaks" just about confirms that he is not only waging a violent (and occasionally deadly) campaign against whistleblowers - those who sacrifice their careers and put their lives and families at risk to expose evildoers and criminals in high places - but also continuing and expanding open warfare against the ordinary US public.

I don't know *anyone* now who approves of what this administration is doing, and the negative sentiments are echoed by conservatives, liberals and independents - albeit with a different emphasis of course re. his failures and abominations. The Obama presidency will undoubtedly and deservedly end up in the trashbin of history. There is *nothing* of worth to write about since 2008.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #90 of 112

So the 2012 pre-election jobs numbers - which Jack Welch and many others said were manipulated - have turned out to be precisely that.

Aside from the obvious - that leftists lie regularly to win, and that their supporters are easily manipulated, this raises the question of whether even the Census Bureau can be trusted under the current administration.

Because conservatives were laughed at in 2009 when questions were raised about the Census Bureau started using GPS to track individual households under the new Obama admin.

Coupled with the Snowden and other disclosures, and the fact that the White House was said to "take control" of the census away from the Commerce department, Americans are headed down a truly historic road under Obama.

post #91 of 112
Quote:

So the 2012 pre-election jobs numbers - which Jack Welch and many others said were manipulated - have turned out to be precisely that.

Aside from the obvious - that leftists lie regularly to win, and that their supporters are easily manipulated, this raises the question of whether even the Census Bureau can be trusted under the current administration.

Because conservatives were laughed at in 2009 when questions were raised about the Census Bureau started using GPS to track individual households under the new Obama admin.

Coupled with the Snowden and other disclosures, and the fact that the White House was said to "take control" of the census away from the Commerce department, Americans are headed down a truly historic road under Obama.

I and many others said the numbers didn't add up.  There were not enough jobs created to lower the unemployment rate from 8.1 to 7.8 percent.  It takes 150,000 jobs a month just to maintain employment.  We need 200,000 jobs a month to steadily gain.  It's clear the data was manipulated.  Shocker.  

post #92 of 112

Ouch. Obama is #17 on GQ's list of The Least Influential People of 2013.

'A very eloquent hat stand'. The media is finally waking up to what conservatives have been saying for 6 years now.

post #93 of 112
Quote:

Ouch. Obama is #17 on GQ's list of The Least Influential People of 2013.

'A very eloquent hat stand'. The media is finally waking up to what conservatives have been saying for 6 years now.

He's actually not that "eloquent". 

post #94 of 112

Sarah Palin, still 1000x smarter than Barack Obama will ever be.

post #95 of 112
Quote:

Sarah Palin, still 1000x smarter than Barack Obama will ever be.

Definitely!

I've always doubted Obama's intelligence, his experience, his world view and his qualifications. What has become of the liberal Messiah now? He's more like Bozo the clown. The USA under Obama is a complete joke. Our enemies must all be laughing at us now, and I don't blame them!

Liberals sure do hate Palin though. The hilarious part is that Palin is much smarter than the majority of typical low information, ignorant, trashy Obama voters that would be making fun of her. And so was Bush.
post #96 of 112

I know political discussion here isn't what it used to be (since the lefties fled rather than defend the incompetence of their regime.)

But what's going on in the U.S. now borders on insanity.

The Obama admin is attempting to fight some kind of lame pseudo-war on Twitter, and even there they are being bested by Putin.

This is embarrassing and dangerous, since it's unlikely Putin's going to stop now given America's current weakness.

post #97 of 112
Quote:

I know political discussion here isn't what it used to be (since the lefties fled rather than defend the incompetence of their regime.)

But what's going on in the U.S. now borders on insanity.

The Obama admin is attempting to fight some kind of lame pseudo-war on Twitter, and even there they are being bested by Putin.

This is embarrassing and dangerous, since it's unlikely Putin's going to stop now given America's current weakness.

This is what they do.  They live in a world of words---almost exclusively.  If they say it (a statement, a speech, a selfie, a tweet, whatever) then it must be true.  Nowhere is this more dangerous than in regards to foreign policy.   It's bad enough that Obama says things like "the Affordable Care Act is providing millions of people with quality, affordable health insurance."  We all know that's a lie, and that it has done much more harm than good as well as cost billions already.  It's quite another when their "response" to Russia is to tweet out a selfie with a "UnitedforUkraine" hashtag...held up by a snarky, self-satisfied millennial spokeswoman (who is admittedly pretty hot).   

post #98 of 112

Apparently, the reason the U.S. wants to wind down involvement in overseas wars is because the military gear is needed to handle people at home.

post #99 of 112
Quote:

Anyone care to explain how a country that will be up 150-200% GDP in borrowing will be able to sustain itself in the future?

It's interesting because the debt is so large that paying into it in a sizeable way would presumably require very significant budget reform. I think that kind of budget reform can be driven or led by the executive, but politics is so heavily polarised that practical policy decisions aren't given a fair shake because the Congress generally seems to use almost everything as a political lever.

I'm not sure how you overcome that, except to have a case where one party is in the executive branch and has sufficient time with a sizeable Congressional majority to be able to push some strong measures through.

Even then, my understanding is that the Congressional system is very messy when it comes to appropriations (isn't it the case that members of Congress routinely "attach" various appropriations bills to larger bills as a way of getting them through under the radar?)

In other words, there doesn't seem to be an easy way for the governing party to retain control of the budget in a full sense. I could be wrong about that (I am Australian, and in my country we are going through a period of significant fiscal restraint due to a new conservative government that is trying to put aspects of the federal budget on a more sustainable footing).

post #100 of 112
Quote:

Apparently, the reason the U.S. wants to wind down involvement in overseas wars is because the military gear is needed to handle people at home.

Increasing terrorism, mostly from an increasing Muslim population, will guarantee this trend won't stop.

We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #101 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post

It's interesting because the debt is so large that paying into it in a sizeable way would presumably require very significant budget reform. I think that kind of budget reform can be driven or led by the executive, but politics is so heavily polarised that practical policy decisions aren't given a fair shake because the Congress generally seems to use almost everything as a political lever.

I'm not sure how you overcome that, except to have a case where one party is in the executive branch and has sufficient time with a sizeable Congressional majority to be able to push some strong measures through.

Even then, my understanding is that the Congressional system is very messy when it comes to appropriations (isn't it the case that members of Congress routinely "attach" various appropriations bills to larger bills as a way of getting them through under the radar?)

In other words, there doesn't seem to be an easy way for the governing party to retain control of the budget in a full sense. I could be wrong about that (I am Australian, and in my country we are going through a period of significant fiscal restraint due to a new conservative government that is trying to put aspects of the federal budget on a more sustainable footing).

You're essentially correct.  The problem is not really partisanship, it's a cabal of "leaders" who are addicted to the massive spending, big-government we have.  This includes both political parties.  The Republicans tend to be a little better than the Democrats in this area, but very few are proposing the real structural changes needed.  For now, the dollar's hegemony is keeping us afloat.  We can print money, because we control what is essentially the world's money supply.  That won't last forever, though.  And that's when trump's predictions of collapse are going to come true.  

post #102 of 112

All you require is a President who loves his country and is willing to do what it takes.

And one that understands that the job will be for one term only, and he will be vilified and hated afterward.

post #103 of 112
Quote:

You're essentially correct.  The problem is not really partisanship, it's a cabal of "leaders" who are addicted to the massive spending, big-government we have.  This includes both political parties.  The Republicans tend to be a little better than the Democrats in this area, but very few are proposing the real structural changes needed.  For now, the dollar's hegemony is keeping us afloat.  We can print money, because we control what is essentially the world's money supply.  That won't last forever, though.  And that's when trump's predictions of collapse are going to come true.  

So, do you think that the core way of tackling this problem in the longer term is to have some kind of Congress-wide reform? 

By that I mean, a change in law that basically tightens fiscal controls around budgeting (i.e. that people will no longer be allowed to slip random appropriations under the radar, and that they must all go through a transparent budgetary process).

That may be difficult because in some ways it's possibly inherent to the Congressional system. In the Westminster system, this way of spending money is not possible because of the way bills are created and approved through the parliament. In Australia we have a bit of a hybrid system (that is, we loosely replicate the House of Commons - the lower house - from Britain, but we also have an American-style Senate as our "house of review").

post #104 of 112
Quote:

Liberals sure do hate Palin though. The hilarious part is that Palin is much smarter than the majority of typical low information, ignorant, trashy Obama voters that would be making fun of her. And so was Bush.

I don't know. I am not a big fan of Obama, ‘an eloquent hat stand’ isn't the worst description of him.

But Palin? Palin was an absolute embarrassment to the States when she was on the ticket.

Maybe she is not as stupid as the world (the world apart from the US right) believe. But she is certainly not clever enough to convince people otherwise.

post #105 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobo View Post

Quote:

I don't know. I am not a big fan of Obama, ‘an eloquent hat stand’ isn't the worst description of him.

But Palin? Palin was an absolute embarrassment to the States when she was on the ticket.

Maybe she is not as stupid as the world (the world apart from the US right) believe. But she is certainly not clever enough to convince people otherwise.

If you are ignorant enough to believe that a gaffe no matter how bad and no matter which person or party that commits it, proves anything with regard to competence and intelligence, then you've embarrassed yourself.

No one can convince otherwise when the media makes the campaign into propaganda rather than actual issues. Studies have shown they largely focus on horse race coverage (who's leading), "analysis" where they pretend they are thinking out loud but largely trying to manufacture consensus towards their biases, and finally gaffes and scandals.

They do this 24/7 and no one can overcome it. Obama wouldn't be able to overcome it either except for they clearly don't care to cover his incompetence. It is well documented outside the leftist major network media.

post #106 of 112

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. corralled unanimous votes on privacy and recess appointments — cases that dealt stinging defeats to Mr. Obama, himself a lawyer and former lecturer on constitutional law.

In the more than five years that Mr. Obama has been in office, the court has rejected the government’s argument with a 9-0 decision 20 times.

post #107 of 112
Quote:

If you are ignorant enough to believe that a gaffe no matter how bad and no matter which person or party that commits it, proves anything with regard to competence and intelligence, then you've embarrassed yourself.

No one can convince otherwise when the media makes the campaign into propaganda rather than actual issues. Studies have shown they largely focus on horse race coverage (who's leading), "analysis" where they pretend they are thinking out loud but largely trying to manufacture consensus towards their biases, and finally gaffes and scandals.

They do this 24/7 and no one can overcome it. Obama wouldn't be able to overcome it either except for they clearly don't care to cover his incompetence. It is well documented outside the leftist major network media.

What you're saying about the media sounds right.

But in regards to Palin, unless the media were providing a script for her to read from every time she opened her mouth I will take her responsible for the ridiculous things she said.

post #108 of 112

Hmmm. It's almost like certain people in government want an illegal immigrant invasion into the American south. I wonder why?

post #109 of 112
Quote:

Hmmm. It's almost like certain people in government want an illegal immigrant invasion into the American south. I wonder why?

And they've even found prayer mats on the border. All sorts of potential terrorists, illegals with diseases, gang members, rapists, murderers and other undesirables are currently pouring into the USA. And they're being aided by the federal government.

The current government is not protecting the American people, they're working against the American people. 

post #110 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobo View Post

What you're saying about the media sounds right.

But in regards to Palin, unless the media were providing a script for her to read from every time she opened her mouth I will take her responsible for the ridiculous things she said.

That's fine, but you must also hold Obama responsible for the ridiculous and stupid things that he says. Many of his numerous and countless gaffes are not even reported and are covered up by his allies in the media, but those people who are not ignorant are aware of them.

post #111 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post

So, do you think that the core way of tackling this problem in the longer term is to have some kind of Congress-wide reform? 

By that I mean, a change in law that basically tightens fiscal controls around budgeting (i.e. that people will no longer be allowed to slip random appropriations under the radar, and that they must all go through a transparent budgetary process).

That may be difficult because in some ways it's possibly inherent to the Congressional system. In the Westminster system, this way of spending money is not possible because of the way bills are created and approved through the parliament. In Australia we have a bit of a hybrid system (that is, we loosely replicate the House of Commons - the lower house - from Britain, but we also have an American-style Senate as our "house of review").

I don't think it's a structural issue, nor do I think that's even possible politically.   What I think is that we need to elect new leaders in the House, Senate and Presidency.  

post #112 of 112
Quote:

I don't think it's a structural issue, nor do I think that's even possible politically.   What I think is that we need to elect new leaders in the House, Senate and Presidency.  

But new leaders are elected all the time, yet fall into the same traps - perhaps because the existing structures allow this to happen.

Wouldn't it make sense to change the rules of the game to prevent these things from happening?

It's interesting that presidential candidates often cast themselves as "Washington outsiders", with the implication that they will bring their "outsider" views into Washington and "clean up the mess" or whatever else. But I think what happens is that they get to Washington and they find that they aren't just fighting individual people - they are actually combating an entire system that is structurally defective in some fundamental ways (and that structural fault drives the political culture, not the other way around).

I think that many political leaders then get into a position of simply trying to achieve a best compromise all the time, in a very cynical and dysfunctional climate surrounding them.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › President Obama is Historic!