or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: 'Jobs' biopic release date delayed

Briefly: 'Jobs' biopic release date delayed

post #1 of 31
It was reported on Friday that the Steve Jobs biopic "Jobs," starring Ashton Kutcher in the lead role, has been delayed with no tentative release date set.

Kutcher/Gad

Originally scheduled to open in theaters nationwide on Apr. 16 to commemorate the 37th anniversary of Apple's founding, "Jobs" has been pushed back to an as-yet-undetermined date, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

According to people familiar with the matter, the film's production company Open Road wanted more time for marketing after the film debuted at this year's Sundance Film Festival in January.

"Jobs" premiered to mixed reviews, with some claiming the characters were far from their real-life counterparts. In an interview at the 29th annual Macworld conference, Kutcher said the movie "was done with the utmost love, admiration, and respect."

Directed by Joshua Michael Stern and written by Matthew Whitely, Jobs covers the defining 30 years of the Apple cofounder's life, including pivotal moments in Apple history such as the launch of the first Mac and the iPod.
post #2 of 31
Maybe they are waiting until some big new Apple product comes out?
post #3 of 31

The Movie Studio realized the movie sucks and is trying to figure out if it is worth even sending to DVD.  LOL.

Maybe they thought giving it away on DVD with new Apple products would be helpful, but Apple declined as they thought it would actually lose sales.

Edited by tylerk36 - 3/15/13 at 5:45pm
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #4 of 31

Wait, it already premiered. How can they say the release date is delayed? It's already out. People have seen it. It's…

Reminds me of this.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #5 of 31
And as the first few reports start rolling in of people that saw the film's premiere being admitted to hospital with symptoms of exposure to bad storyline and acting, the director panics and pulls the plug to avoid legal action...
post #6 of 31

My guess is that they know that nobody will pay to see this turkey so they will stream it online for free and write it off as a loss.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #7 of 31
straight to netflix
post #8 of 31
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
straight to netflix

Ugh, is that going to be the new phrase? I don't want that to be the new phrase.

And I think Netflix would find it disparaging. lol.gif

post #9 of 31
This biopic is making the MS Surface look successful by comparison.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #10 of 31
Like I said when the news first broke - Straight to DVD, Netflix or Hulu.
post #11 of 31
deleted
Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:31am
post #12 of 31

Straight to video!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 31
Movie delayed? More proof Android is winning. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Movie delayed? More proof Android is winning. /s

This movie is so bad not even Samsung will copy it.

post #15 of 31
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
This movie is so bad not even Samsung will copy it.

Really? No gripping tale of how Lee Byung-chul started a trading company in his… well, they didn't have garages in Korea in 1938… 

post #16 of 31
This thing has to be a turd.
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The Movie Studio realized the movie sucks and is trying to figure out if it is worth even sending to DVD.  LOL.

What's a DVD?
Quote:
Maybe they thought giving it away on DVD with new Apple products would be helpful, but Apple declined as they thought it would actually lose sales.

But how to play it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

straight to netflix

For some. For others, straight to /dev/null/
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What's a DVD?

State Of The Art technology, Phil.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 88

You really should check it out.

I hear it's gonna be the next big thing.

And I believe the correct term is straight-to-torrent...

post #19 of 31
@solipsismx but the Surface is successful... I mean, it sold "quite smooth"-ly.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #20 of 31

Glad you all know so much about a film you haven't even seen, but I guess that's consistent with the way you criticize products that you haven't used.

post #21 of 31
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
Glad you all know so much about a film you haven't even seen, but I guess that's consistent with the way you criticize products that you haven't used.

When the people being portrayed in the movie say it's crap, I wonder if it's crap… 

post #22 of 31

They'll have to release it as an iTunes download or on a USB stick instead of DVD or new iMac owners will miss out.

post #23 of 31
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
They'll have to release it as an iTunes download or on a USB stick instead of DVD or new iMac owners will miss out.

Sick burn. Oh, wait, they can't do that, either. 

post #24 of 31

Dude, where's my—never mind.

post #25 of 31
This movie will never be released, it will have to escape.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #26 of 31

At least they aren't calling it jOBS now.

post #27 of 31

This had all the makings of a blue screen of death from the get-go.

The money paid to Kutcher alone would have been enough to produce the definitive documentary on Steve Jobs. That's something I'd pay to see.

post #28 of 31

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:33am
post #29 of 31
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
Surprisingly little info, apparently not even in production yet.  But the description sounds much more interesting, comprised of three, 30-minute sections that each take place backstage in the moments immediately preceding some of Jobs' most iconic keynotes: Mac in 1984, NeXT in 1988, and iPod in 2001.

Interesting in that it can't possibly cover meaningful material and yet they assume it will? 

Maybe the story will be told in flashback. A few minutes of "getting ready for the presentation" and then someone goes, "Remember when we had [problem] with [product]?" Ripple fade back to… 

post #30 of 31

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:40am
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"Can't possibly"?  I haven't seen the screenplay yet so I don't know, but I find the concept interesting.  Sorkin says no flashback; instead, each of the three scenes will be 30 minutes each and portrayed in real-time.

I'll admit, such a concept certainly won't be a sweeping biopic, but I don't think he's aiming for that.  Those are each interesting moments, and while the conversations taking place may well make too many references to things Mac fans know and many in the public may not, if handled well it could make for a very interesting movie.

Sorkin can fit about 5 hours of dialogue into 90 minutes.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: 'Jobs' biopic release date delayed