or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says

Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says

post #1 of 52
According to NPD DisplaySearch, Google may beat Apple to the high-resolution 7-inch form factor tablet market with a revamped Nexus 7 in the second quarter of 2013, while the Cupertino company is expected to launch a Retina display-toting next-generation iPad mini in either the third or fourth quarter.

iPad mini

The research firm told CNET on Friday that supply chain checks point to a possible third quarter production for the so-called "iPad mini 2's" Retina display, suggesting the device won't be available for some time.

"When would the Mini be available? Could be third quarter or fourth quarter," DisplaySearch analyst Paul Semenza speculated, citing the company's supply chain data.

The estimate is in line with a previous report from KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said in January that he expects a Retina version of Apple's small format iPad to be introduced in the middle of the third quarter.

As for specs, Semenza believes the mini's display should boast a resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 pixels, which he said is "the typical step up when you go to Retina," an estimate heard before from the rumor mill. If Apple stays with a 7.9-inch screen, the pixel density would reach 324 pixels per inch, almost identical to the 326ppi panel used in the iPhone 5. By comparison, the current iPad mini employs a 1,024-by-768 display with a pixel density of 163ppi.

Google is thought to be readying a follow up device for the Nexus 7, Semenza said, citing checks with Asian parts suppliers. The updated tablet will supposedly up screen resolution to 1,920-by-1,200 pixels, which is in line with Apple's Retina-level panels at a pixel density of 323ppi.

If the analyst is correct, Google will be looking at a second quarter release for the upgraded Nexus 7, while the next-generation iPad mini could be unveiled in the second half of the year. The timeline is roughly the same as 2012, when Google launched its small form factor table a little over two months ahead of Apple's mini.
post #2 of 52
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
…the mini's display should boast a resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 pixels, which he said is "the typical step up when you go to Retina,"

It's easy to predict something that doesn't require predicting.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 52
The current 8" Mini has 36% more screen area and a full 42% longer battery life than the 7" Nexus. It also has an actual metal shell.

And yet the plastic Nexus 7 is 30% larger by volume (46% thicker!) and 10% heavier.

Now add higher res screens to both--screens that need more power, especially for the higher-end GPUs you need to drive all those extra pixels.

I wonder which of the two can best afford that GPU power, without ruining battery life and/or making an even bulkier device?

It wouldn't surprise me if neither Apple NOR Google can crack that engineering problem this year... but Google will probably release something anyway--even if it has to be slow and/or even bulkier than the current Nexus. (Remember how the iPad 3 got heavier with retina.)

One challenge Apple faces that Google does not: Apple has to achieve massive yields, because people want iPads. If the better screen can only be made in small quantities, then it won't boost sales, it will shrink sales! (They can keep a current-res Mini around as well, but history shows that demand will be for the newer models.)

Google doesn't have that problem: they may not be able to get Apple-size quantities of high-res screens made, but that's OK: they don't have Apple-size demand to fill. That could help Google move sooner than Apple.
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The current 8" Mini has 36% more screen area and a full 42% longer battery life than the 7" Nexus. It also has an actual metal shell.

And yet the plastic Nexus 7 is 30% larger by volume (46% thicker!) and 10% heavier.

Now add higher res screens to both--screens that need more power, especially for the higher-end GPUs you need to drive all those extra pixels.

I wonder which of the two can best afford that GPU power, without ruining battery life and/or making an even bulkier device?

It wouldn't surprise me if neither Apple NOR Google can crack that engineering problem this year... but Google will probably release something anyway--even if it has to be slow and/or even bulkier than the current Nexus. (Remember how the iPad 3 got heavier with retina.)

One challenge Apple faces that Google does not: Apple has to achieve massive yields, because people want iPads. If the better screen can only be made in small quantities, then it won't boost sales, it will shrink sales! (They can keep a current-res Mini around as well, but history shows that demand will be for the newer models.)

Google doesn't have that problem: they may not be able to get Apple-size quantities of high-res screens made, but that's OK: they don't have Apple-size demand to fill. That could help Google move sooner than Apple.

It's already at 32nm but a newer Apple A-chip with the Rogue 6 GPU from Imagination Tech, and other power and weight cost savings in the display, touchscreen, and backlight might make it more of natural transfer than we saw with the iPad 2 to iPad 3 transition.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #5 of 52
How many nexi (nexuses?) have sold/shipped so far?
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Dictionary lists only nexus and nexuses as the plural form. I prefer the same name for the plural.

post #7 of 52
But the iPad mini followed a slew of 7-inch tablets and it seems to be doing well, so why should this matter so terribly much?
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's already at 32nm but a newer Apple A-chip with the Rogue 6 GPU from Imagination Tech, and other power and weight cost savings in the display, touchscreen, and backlight might make it more of natural transfer than we saw with the iPad 2 to iPad 3 transition.

Incorrect on the ImgTec Rogue 6.: PowerVR SGX543MP2

The Rogue 6: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series_6_.28Rogue.29_2

Now that LLVM/Clang has ARM including ARM Cortex A-15 and ImageTec which now owns MIPS and has been dumping code heavily into the LLVM/Clang MIPS Target I won't be surprised if Apple's new iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini comes out with that Rogue 6 custom SoC with their own custom 64 bit ARM SMP solution for all three products, at 28nm and with improved battery life.

post #9 of 52
Quote:

If history is any indication, the iPad mini with Retina will get the A6X SoC and the iPad Retina will get the new A7X (or whatever it ends being called) SoC.

post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Incorrect on the ImgTec Rogue 6.: PowerVR SGX543MP2

The Rogue 6: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series_6_.28Rogue.29_2

Now that LLVM/Clang has ARM including ARM Cortex A-15 and ImageTec which now owns MIPS and has been dumping code heavily into the LLVM/Clang MIPS Target I won't be surprised if Apple's new iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini comes out with that Rogue 6 custom SoC with their own custom 64 bit ARM SMP solution for all three products, at 28nm and with improved battery life.

Could you restate that for me? Are you saying I'm incorrect in thinking Rogue 6 is likely to happen in the 2nd half of the year, at all, that it won't offer power savings, that I assumed it would be at the 32nm process or something else entirely?

post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

If history is any indication, the iPad mini with Retina will get the A6X SoC and the iPad Retina will get the new A7X (or whatever it ends being called) SoC.

I don't think history is a good indicator for this case. I feel size and weight (especially weight) are highly important factors to with the iPad mini. Then consider that the iPad mini will have the the same jump to 4x as many pixels as the previous version, like the iPad but in about 1/2 the volume. If they want the the thickness and weight to be close to what it is now I don't think they'll be using the A6X that is found in the iPad 4.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/15/13 at 10:13pm

post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

last I heard, they were selling about 1 million per month

I have noticed, based on web analytics, usage of Android tablets is falling rapidly while he ipad continues to climb rapidly. I question if many Android tablets were sold after Christmas. They were used as cheap gifts and are now finding their way to closets and drawers.
post #13 of 52

They don't seem in a hurry to add Retina technology to the iPad Mini or the Macbook Air. I guess battery life and thinness are everything with those products.

post #14 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

Dictionary lists only nexus and nexuses as the plural form. I prefer the same name for the plural.

Actually, "Nexusez" - since Android tabs are mostly for the "haz Cheezeburgerz" crowd anyway ...... 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #15 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

So, one, then.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Actually, "Nexusez" - since Android tabs are mostly for the "haz Cheezeburgerz" crowd anyway ...... 

That's offensive.

Not everyone is comfortable with paying 1200 dollars a year for a smartphone, and by "not everyone" I mean the large majority of the world, especially on those countries where people know they can't live with more than what they earn.

For those of us: Apple does not give an option, Windows sucks, so we have no choice but android. I'm proud of myself, proud that i'm not part of the "haz cheezeburgerz" crowd, just like my friends. Far from it.

post #17 of 52
I think this makes sense seeing a retina display ipad mini coming out this year. Everyone wants this to happen so it doesn't surprise me. I have the nexus 7 and it works fine for what I do with it but if the ipad mini with retina comes out it will blow away the competition.
post #18 of 52

I don't think its that big of a deal which one comes out 'first.'   Both are going to do well.  It almost comes down more to ecosystem (at least in the US, less saturated markets are a little different).  Apple works tremendously with Apple, with anything else- not so much.  I think it would be a pretty weird choice for an iPhone user to buy an Android tablet.  It didn't work the other way for the last few years- even if you had an Android phone the iPad still made sense because the Android offerings just weren't as good.  I think current Android tablets are very good, and the Apps are all there to do 90% of anything well.  Androids customization, app switching, and overall feel I like- the iPad still feels a little too simple (hit the home button, pick an app from the grid, hit the home button, pick an app from the grid).  The touch sensitive stylus is actually pretty nice for the artsy feel, but they really need some of the iPad caliber art apps to take advantage of it.

I still think the Android tablets are behind, but its getting to the point where Apple's walled garden is still very effective at keeping people in- but it is serving as a detriment and actually keeping out as well.  I think the iPad is great but I bought an Android tablet simply because I prefer an Android phone and don't want to deal with one oddball device that forces me into the Apple system.  For my parents I buy the Apple stuff- Apple is still hands down the choice for less tech savvy people.

Coming a little later to the game could also be an advantage for the iPad mini.  It will be 'newer' during the Christmas rush- and that is no small factor.

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They don't seem in a hurry to add Retina technology to the iPad Mini or the Macbook Air. I guess battery life and thinness are everything with those products.

I know you're just speaking loosely about that "hurry" part, but I think they might really be in a full-on rush to get it out. We just don't know if they may be pushing to get IGZO and/or a new processor ready in order to keep down heat, weight, thickness and battery usage, all of which are everything with these products, as you say. Apple is through with thick and heavy, even on the desktop.
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

That's offensive.

Not everyone is comfortable with paying 1200 dollars a year for a smartphone, and by "not everyone" I mean the large majority of the world, especially on those countries where people know they can't live with more than what they earn.

For those of us: Apple does not give an option, Windows sucks, so we have no choice but android. I'm proud of myself, proud that i'm not part of the "haz cheezeburgerz" crowd, just like my friends. Far from it.

It may be, but he has a point.

All you need to do is look at the crowd here whose usernames end in a 'z' (e.g., MacRulez).
post #21 of 52
Boyz will be boyz.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

I think this makes sense seeing a retina display ipad mini coming out this year. Everyone wants this to happen so it doesn't surprise me. I have the nexus 7 and it works fine for what I do with it but if the ipad mini with retina comes out it will blow away the competition.

I still contend that it'll be technically possible the 2nd half of this year (and only technically possible the 2nd half of this year if you want to maintain the current weight, thickness, and battery life windows), but that it's still up in the air since they started with a year old ASIC with the A5 instead of the A6 which makes me question whether Apple wants to use the most the current, state-of-the-art tech in the iPad mini.

We know it's generating less profit per unit and a lower profit margin than the larger iPad. I guess they could balance it out by making it more expensive than the non-Retina iPad (not unlike what they did with the Retina MBPs) but so far they've never done that with an iDevice specifically for going Retina.

For the sake of being thorough they do have two iPod Touches at scaled prices but both are Retina, it's a 2010 model at 3.5" v. 2012 at 4". Both are Retina but the 3.5" model only uses a TN panel instead of IPS. Since the iPad mini already uses an IPS panel that cost is already accounted for, as well an interest in the 7.85" size which has already far exceeded the original iPad sales which makes it the fastest selling Apple product and fastest selling CE in the world.

Based on all this info I'd say that they will offer a Retina model before Christmas but at an increased cost.

post #23 of 52
Quote:

I don't think history is a good indicator for this case. I feel size and weight (especially weight) are highly important factors to with the iPad mini. Then consider that the iPad mini will have the the same jump to 4x as many pixels as the previous version, like the iPad but in about 1/2 the volume. If they want the the thickness and weight to be close to what it is now I don't think they'll be using the A6X that is found in the iPad 4.

The iPad mini is also seriously underpowered as it stands today.  It struggles with large applications and switching between two large apps sometimes engenders delays of between 5 to 15 seconds which is a hell of a lot considering how virtually instantaneous the switching is on other iOS devices.  

Making the mini into a Retina device has to also take into account that the mini needs a bit more power as it is.  As you also point out, all of that has to happen in pretty much the same size and weight range of the current mini.  If the next mini is thicker or heavier it kind of goes against the main reason for the product's existence. 

post #24 of 52
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics 
That's offensive.

Seriously? You're offended by that comment?

File under: PEDRO MARTINS - I CAN HAZ BUTTONZ PUSHED

post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The iPad mini is also seriously underpowered as it stands today.  It struggles with large applications and switching between two large apps sometimes engenders delays of between 5 to 15 seconds which is a hell of a lot considering how virtually instantaneous the switching is on other iOS devices.  

Making the mini into a Retina device has to also take into account that the mini needs a bit more power as it is.  As you also point out, all of that has to happen in pretty much the same size and weight range of the current mini.  If the next mini is thicker or heavier it kind of goes against the main reason for the product's existence. 

No argument here. I would add that there is a thickness and weight window. I think it can get a little thicker and heavier without having a major affect on the UX, but I think that window is small, especially with weigh.

As mentioned in my previous reply to quest01 I think that a cost window might be fairly wide. With the success of the iPad mini do you think a $70 premium for a $399 iPad mIni with Retina Display is feasible?

post #26 of 52
Quote:

No argument here. I would add that there is a thickness and weight window. I think it can get a little thicker and heavier without having a major affect on the UX, but I think that window is small, especially with weigh.

As mentioned in my previous reply to quest01 I think that a cost window might be fairly wide. With the success of the iPad mini do you think a $70 premium for a $399 iPad mIni with Retina Display is feasible?

I think a $399 iPad mini Retina is feasible as long as they lower the price of the iPad mini to $299 then we'd have the following;

iPad mini - starting @ $299

iPad mini Retina - starting @ $399

iPad Retina - starting @ $499

I don't see the iPad 2 sticking around come this holiday season, or even earlier.  What I'd also like to see Apple do, at least for the retina models, is start the storage capacity @ 32GB instead of 16GB.  

post #27 of 52
If the current mini has a ppi of 163, and you double the resolution on both axes, wouldn't that give you a ppi of 326? So how did Appleinsider get 324? Oh, because they started with the wrong screen size of 7.9 inch when it should be 7.85. Even then, isn't it obvious math that 326 should be the correct figure?
post #28 of 52
Originally Posted by johntan View Post
Oh, because they started with the wrong screen size of 7.9 inch when it should be 7.85.

Except it isn't.

Originally Posted by johntan View Post
Even then, isn't it obvious math that 326 should be the correct figure?

Also, you're wrong.

post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except it isn't.

Also, you're wrong.

He's right. We've been through this before. Well, I've been through this before. Apple rounded up to the nearest tenth. It's not only easier than going to the hundredth but it's also the inverse 9.7, their other iPad size.

AI took this value from other site that used the 7.9" size to get 324 when figuring out the pixel density. Consider why Apple used the iPad mini size they did? it uses the 163.xx PPI of the original iPhone. Now consider how we got the Retina iPhone and iPod Touch. It's doubling the resolution which is 326.xx PPI. It's an exact doubling. Same thing with the iPad 2 to the iPad (3), except with an 132.xx to 264.xx PPI.

When they make the iPad mini Retina it will be 326.xx thus using the same process they have perfected back in 2010 with the iPhone 4.

PS: Note that the 3.5" and 4" iPhone and iPod Touch, and 9.7" iPad are not exactly those sizes, but rounded values.

post #30 of 52
Quote:

That's offensive.

I don't come close to paying 1200 a year for using the iPhone 5. I have no idea what you are comparing. Closer to 750/year on Verizon.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

I don't come close to paying 1200 a year for using the iPhone 5. I have no idea what you are comparing. Closer to 750/year on Verizon.

I pay much closer to $1200 per year:

( $199 [16GB iPhone 5] + $99 [AC+] + 9% [tax] ) + $35 [Activation Fee] + [approx.] $90 x 12 = $1,439.82

Even if I kept my iPhone 5 for two years that's still:

( ( $199 [16GB iPhone 5] + $99 [AC+] + 9% [tax] ) + $35 [Activation Fee] ÷ 2 ) + [approx.] $90 x 12 = $1,242.41

I even get about 25% off my voice plan from Verizon.

post #32 of 52

Google - slapping a high resolution screen on a pile of crap doesn't make it better than the iPad mini.

post #33 of 52
Quote:

I pay much closer to $1200 per year:

( $199 [16GB iPhone 5] + $99 [AC+] + 9% [tax] ) + $35 [Activation Fee] + [approx.] $90 x 12 = $1,439.82

Even if I kept my iPhone 5 for two years that's still:

( ( $199 [16GB iPhone 5] + $99 [AC+] + 9% [tax] ) + $35 [Activation Fee] ÷ 2 ) + [approx.] $90 x 12 = $1,242.41

I even get about 25% off my voice plan from Verizon.

How many minutes is your plan?

post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

How many minutes is your plan?

Unlimited voice and text, which I can't lower. I don't like talking 'on' the phone and I don't use SMS/MMS so it's mostly wasted on me.

I have 1GB of data even though I only use about 250MB. I can save $10/month by going to 300MB but that's cutting it too close.

My actual monthly fee with Verizon before any of the many taxes are added is $89 so it's actually close to $95 with the taxes applied.

It was cheaper when I was on AT&T but with the iPhone being LTE now Verizon is finally the faster option. However, I do miss SV&D.

post #35 of 52
Quote:

... With the success of the iPad mini do you think a $70 premium for a $399 iPad mIni with Retina Display is feasible?

I don't see anyone paying "extra" for Retina.  While a lot of people have gotten caught up in the retina hype, the average person sees it as something "cool" that they would like to have, but IMO they don't really see the big deal about it.  If the Retina one costs more than a non-retina one and both models are available, I think the non-retina would be the biggest seller all other things being equal.  

My prediction is that the next iPad mini will be twice as powerful as the predecessor with twice as much system RAM (as is typical with all iOS releases so far), it will have a Retina display (because it would be impossible not to given the competition at this stage), and it will be the same price as the current one.  

Based on the parts leaks I've seen, it will probably be thicker (and probably heavier), but only by a smidge because again ... considering the context ... anything more than a millimetre or so thicker would be "outrageously thick" at this point.  

I'm already a die-hard iPad mini user and wouldn't use anything else so I'm not really worried about it since I will likely buy whatever it is regardless. 

post #36 of 52
Quote:

nexus - it's an u declination

post #37 of 52
Quote:

Could you restate that for me? Are you saying I'm incorrect in thinking Rogue 6 is likely to happen in the 2nd half of the year, at all, that it won't offer power savings, that I assumed it would be at the 32nm process or something else entirely?

I must have seen you implying it came with the Rogue 6 already, in which to my original comment I stated, ``Incorrect.'' Chalk it up to late hours. And yes, the Rogue 6 series is the direction for the next generation iOS devices.

http://www.imgtec.com/news/release/index.asp?NewsID=686

The real question is how Apple differentiates between the iPad Mini and iPad and the choice of 6 series being based upon the number of cores for the GPGPU.

Quote:
PowerVR G6200 and G6400 are designed to deliver the best performance at the smallest area possible for two and four cluster architectures respectively, while the PowerVR G6230 and G6430 ‘go all out’, adding incremental extra area for maximum performance whilst minimising power consumption.

I'm betting the custom Apple A series SoC for the mini Retina will house the PowerVR G6200 variant and the iPad Retina will house the Power VR G6400 variant that matches Apple's custom designed ARM which I think will be a 4 core A15 variant for the iPad and a 4 core A9 variant for the iPad mini.

You have to give distinct differentiation between the two, and with both being Retina based the main distinction outside of the form factor will be performance/watt and battery size.

I agree that the iPad and iPad mini both can become a tad thicker while not over straining the biggest whiners out there.

The iPad is 13.4 mm thick

The iPad 2 is 8.8 mm thick [obscenely thin]

The iPad 3/4 is 9.4 mm thick

If you take the average of both ends from the iPad to the iPad 2 you get 11.1 mm thickness which would accomodate more hardware capabilities and a bigger battery. Newer battery tech will be where the biggest area for weight balance is achievable. The extra thickness will give the feel a sweet spot in durability and not the feel of an overly thick piece of paper.

You can then move the iPad mini to the original thinness of the iPad 2 (8.8mm) making room for better sensors, cameras, bigger battery, etc., and a feeling it isn't a damn oversized thin mint.

It gives Apple the ability to make them using larger batteries and more CPU/GPGPU SoC cores and room for other circuitry like NFC and more.

Finally, it gives them more volume to let heat passively dissipate leaving the device cooler to the touch, even at full operation during game play.

post #38 of 52

I was just in an Apple store and looked at the iPad Mini again...and the size and particularly the weight difference between the Mini and the reg. iPad is amazing. 

I know the iPad has more screen real estate than the mini, but the weight difference is wonderful. Mini for me...I hope then don't have to make it heavier or thicker just to have a Retina display. It that were the case, I would prefer no Retina.

Best

post #39 of 52
Quote:

I still contend that it'll be technically possible the 2nd half of this year (and only technically possible the 2nd half of this year if you want to maintain the current weight, thickness, and battery life windows), but that it's still up in the air since they started with a year old ASIC with the A5 instead of the A6 which makes me question whether Apple wants to use the most the current, state-of-the-art tech in the iPad mini.

We know it's generating less profit per unit and a lower profit margin than the larger iPad. I guess they could balance it out by making it more expensive than the non-Retina iPad (not unlike what they did with the Retina MBPs) but so far they've never done that with an iDevice specifically for going Retina.

For the sake of being thorough they do have two iPod Touches at scaled prices but both are Retina, it's a 2010 model at 3.5" v. 2012 at 4". Both are Retina but the 3.5" model only uses a TN panel instead of IPS. Since the iPad mini already uses an IPS panel that cost is already accounted for, as well an interest in the 7.85" size which has already far exceeded the original iPad sales which makes it the fastest selling Apple product and fastest selling CE in the world.

Based on all this info I'd say that they will offer a Retina model before Christmas but at an increased cost.

"and a lower profit margin"

There's some dispute about that:

"The IPad Mini Margin Myth"

http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/4549281-eric-rolfe/1353191-the-ipad-mini-margin-myth

In which case they COULD "make it up with volume"....

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I was just in an Apple store and looked at the iPad Mini again...and the size and particularly the weight difference between the Mini and the reg. iPad is amazing. 

I know the iPad has more screen real estate than the mini, but the weight difference is wonderful. Mini for me...I hope then don't have to make it heavier or thicker just to have a Retina display. It that were the case, I would prefer no Retina.

Best

Yes that's why I'm hoping (expecting) the next full size iPad goes the mini design form, a definite possibility if it were to utilize the IGZO screen tech with it's lower power requirements.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says