or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says

Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's already at 32nm but a newer Apple A-chip with the Rogue 6 GPU from Imagination Tech, and other power and weight cost savings in the display, touchscreen, and backlight might make it more of natural transfer than we saw with the iPad 2 to iPad 3 transition.
Just curious about IGZO technology, a bit was written not too long ago in the media and all has gone quiet.
This sounds like the way to proceed as one gets a significant power saving, the images remains on the screen for a duration of time even when no power is drawn.
Is Apple pursuing this with Sharp on the quiet, hopefully they are, this could be as samdung have invested in Sharp, where there's smoke there's fire.
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

This sounds like the way to proceed as one gets a significant power saving, the images remains on the screen for a duration of time even when no power is drawn.

I am aware that reduces power needs but I wasn't aware that images stay on screen with no additional power (assuming this doesn't include the backlight). It makes me wonder if this would be good on a much smaller scale, like for an iWatch. I had wondered if color E-ink was ever going to make a debut and that it might be a good fit but perhaps IGZO is the ideal candidate. Even for the backlight i can stay off until you touch the glass top of the watch face. Unlike a tablet or phone I think this would be an ideal way to access it over a Home or Sleep button.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 52
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics 
Actually, "Nexusez" - since Android tabs are mostly for the "haz Cheezeburgerz" crowd anyway ......
That's offensive.

Seriously? You're offended by that comment?

File under: PEDRO MARTINS - I CAN HAZ BUTTONZ PUSHED

PUSHED. Because PUZHED could've been offensively read as PUZ HEAD

Quote:

I don't like talking 'on' the phone... However, I do miss SV&D.

Zooming in *way* to deep, but quick question nonetheless; you look up stuff (Calendar?) during a phone call? I do, and find it very useful. But probably would do the same as you did, if I had the option of LTE. But it's just not coming here in NL.

---
On the topic of $:
I paid upfront; $1171 + $ 27 for nano SIM and use a SIM-only subscription. Instead of my previous $47/m (500min/sms/mms + 500MB) I now pay $16/m (300min/sms/mms + 200MB).

Hardly ever went over the minutes, and never above 200MB, so I'm 'cool'. And saving a little in contrast to my previous 2-year contract. That, and the flexibility of selling and buying the latest model made me decide this. Totally OT, obviously.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

On the topic of $:
I paid upfront; $1171 + $ 27 for nano SIM and use a SIM-only subscription. Instead of my previous $47/m (500min/sms/mms + 500MB) I now pay $16/m (300min/sms/mms + 200MB).

Hardly ever went over the minutes, and never above 200MB, so I'm 'cool'. And saving a little in contrast to my previous 2-year contract. That, and the flexibility of selling and buying the latest model made me decide this. Totally OT, obviously.

Is that the standard price for an unlocked iPhone in the Netheregions? I hope that's a 64GB model with VAT included. In the US an unlocked 64GB iPhone is $849. If I add your 21%(?) Hollandia VAT I get $1,027.29 which doesn't seem too bad.

$27 for a SIM seems excessive. I assume that's really for "activating" it. I am actually glad to know the US isn't the only country that pays an excessive amount for a piece of plastic and adding a number to an already created account.

post #45 of 52
Quote:

That's offensive.

Not everyone is comfortable with paying 1200 dollars a year for a smartphone, and by "not everyone" I mean the large majority of the world, especially on those countries where people know they can't live with more than what they earn.

For those of us: Apple does not give an option, Windows sucks, so we have no choice but android. I'm proud of myself, proud that i'm not part of the "haz cheezeburgerz" crowd, just like my friends. Far from it.
you can have your cheap phones. The andoid phones that really compete with the iPhone are similar in price. You still will pay the same for service even if you buy it upfront. So, you really pay twice. You just have the option of switching carriers sooner. People I know with Android phones are constantly weighing the need to buy a new phone to get this feature or that. some I know buy 3 or 4 phones in the 2 years between my upgrades. I waited 3 the last time because of all the new features I get just with OS updates. My 3GS that I use as a remote for my Apple TV has iOS 6 on it and works fine.

Apple does a much better job at recognizing markets and their direction, like everyone claiming Apple had to make a cheap netbook or they were going to be doomed. The only losers were those who chose market share over making a profit. That can only go on for so long. The only low profit item they have is the Apple Tv and it can not hurt them financially because of its low volumes.
Edited by genovelle - 3/17/13 at 6:26pm
post #46 of 52
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

On the topic of $:

Is that the standard price for an unlocked iPhone in the Netheregions? I hope that's a 64GB model with VAT included. In the US an unlocked 64GB iPhone is $849. If I add your 21%(?) Hollandia VAT I get $1,027.29 which doesn't seem too bad.

$27 for a SIM seems excessive. I assume that's really for "activating" it. I am actually glad to know the US isn't the only country that pays an excessive amount for a piece of plastic and adding a number to an already created account.

Indeed, including 21% VAT, 64GB. Could be worse, check out the iPhone in Italy.

The SIM is way overpriced; I stayed with the provider, it was only for the card + S&H.

LOL on Hollandia & -regions

Excuse brevity, gotta run
post #47 of 52
Quote:

That's offensive.

Not everyone is comfortable with paying 1200 dollars a year for a smartphone, and by "not everyone" I mean the large majority of the world, especially on those countries where people know they can't live with more than what they earn.

For those of us: Apple does not give an option, Windows sucks, so we have no choice but android. I'm proud of myself, proud that i'm not part of the "haz cheezeburgerz" crowd, just like my friends. Far from it.

Interesting analysis,  problem is it's the cell phone plan that makes the phone expensive... and where the profit is for the carrier.

what incentive does a carrier have for the selling android if they can't make money off the plan??...

So if you're buying your phones off contract, you'll find that the phones are all the same price.(within 50-100) 

if you not paying that price then you have a cheap phone and thus you're not in the iPhone market demographic. 

post #48 of 52
Google has been paying attention to what makes effective advertising, taking a page from Apple IMO.

Check out this latest ad for the Nexus tablets highlighting the multi-user feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GDCED88IZP4
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google has been paying attention to what makes effective advertising, taking a page from Apple IMO.

Check out this latest ad for the Nexus tablets highlighting the multi-user feature.

For a moment there, you had me thinking his name was going to be AI. But yes, looks a bit like something Apple could've done. Somehow that automagically makes it *not cool*
post #50 of 52
Quote:

Effective ad. An emotional subject people can connect with. A good song that fits perfectly. A focus on basic usage aspects of the device without focusing on tech specs. It's great all around.

post #51 of 52
Quote:

Did you seriously put a google ad?  Wow thats low dude

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Did you seriously put a google ad?  Wow thats low dude

I don't think his placement is out of line in this thread. I seem to recall myself and others posting crappy HP, MS, and BB promo videos and ads. MS's most recent Scroogle ad comes to mind.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's Retina iPad mini to follow debut of high-res Google's Nexus 7, report says