or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest founder: 'We don't expect people to buy a new one of these every year'

Nest founder: 'We don't expect people to buy a new one of these every year' - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Insulate your home properly, set it to a constant, comfortable temperature, and you're done. You'll save FAR more money, the entire family and all your pets will be FAR more comfortable (oo, need to pad off to the bathroom at 2 am? Too bad it's 50 bloody degrees, eh?)

Seriously people, wake up and smell the coffee. You're paying to heat and cool the outdoors. Stop doing that. Best investment you can make in bill reduction, and unlike a thermostat that plays freeze-your-toes-at-night, the investment will pay you back the entire time you own your home.

Start by buying a cheap thermal sensor gun, plug all the little holes and leaks. There will be plenty. Then call an insulation company and see what they can offer you. Your wallet will thank you. So will your bare feet. And you can put your sweaters away.

Oh yeah... new construction? Contract for thicker, better insulated walls. Go overboard. It's not even that costly. Your power and gas companies will hate you for it.

Ditto that.

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Insulate your home properly, set it to a constant, comfortable temperature, and you're done.

Really? You're going to save more money by heating your house to a comfortable temperature all day while away you're at work, or at night while under the covers? That's arrant nonsense.

On the other hand it's worth noting that projected energy savings in are usually referenced against a plain non-programmable t'stat used in just the way fyngyrz (pardon me if I'm pronouncing that wrongly...) describes. I very much doubt that a single Nest will show more than modest savings over a conventional programmable that's set up appropriately, unless your schedule is so variable that a conventional t'stat simply can't be programmed for it. Where the Nest would always be good is in a house with zoned climate control, but unfortunately that's not all that common.

post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure I could do it but most home owners would not attempt it. 

It just seems like a hard sell to me from the perspective of a mass market consumer item.

Not saying it is ineffective just that people resist change. Solar power makes a lot of sense too but for some reason people just don't want it.

True enough. I would put solar panels on in a heartbeat... IF I planned to stay in my home more than I have historically.

When we were looking for a home in Central Florida in 2005 (so when people were getting insane amounts for their house), we looked at a house that had panels, enough to run the house and the pool.  He wanted to recoup some of what he spent - and was $80K more than a similar house without it.

The realtor said, even then, that Solar isn't something that gets you more for your house. It might swing people to your house (or, again, with solar, against as you say, people fear change), but will not add value. Sadly.

post #44 of 46

get Lifx instead of Hue, no hub required for about the same price.  They should be out with in the next two months

post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonevw View Post

get Lifx instead of Hue, no hub required for about the same price.  They should be out with in the next two months

Every Lifx bulb has the hub electronics built in.

post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Every Lifx bulb has the hub electronics built in.
Great! Had not heard of them. Thanks for the tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonevw View Post

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nest founder: 'We don't expect people to buy a new one of these every year'