or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ouya CEO on mobile gaming: 'You're not having an emotional experience'

Ouya CEO on mobile gaming: 'You're not having an emotional experience'

post #1 of 96
AI at Expand: Apple's iOS devices and other mobile platforms may be leading a revolution in the games industry, but the CEO of one upstart gaming company says the shift to mobile has resulted in a wave of games that lack the emotional depth one can experience on traditional consoles.

Uhrman
Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman speaks at Expand

Speaking at Engadget's Expand conference, Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman panned the state of mobile gaming, saying that the experience users get on tablets such as Apple's iPad and iPhone isn't as full as what's possible on consoles.

"You're not having an emotional experience on a tablet," Uhrman explained, asked about what makes the Android-based Ouya console stand out from the larger trend toward mobile gaming. "You're not engaged. It's more of a distraction."

Part of keeping the emotional aspect of gaming, Uhrman said, is in keeping the controller as an integral part of the experience. A number of companies have introduced controller peripherals for both Android and iOS devices, bringing a more traditional aspect to mobile gaming. These devices, however, largely see sparse support from developers, who cannot typically afford to develop exclusively for controllers.

Ouya

The Ouya console's very design, Uhrman said, lends itself to greater emotional investment in a game. The controller is made from aluminum, and the cold feel of the metal upon picking up the device immediately gets gamers feeling something about the game.

Uhrman described herself as an old-school gamer, saying she would like to see the industry turn back to the television as the primary gaming portal. The rise of mobile operating systems and their open-to-all development paradigm, she said, represents a real opportunity for the gaming sector.

"We want to really enable creativity," Uhrman explained, "and bring games back to the television, but we wanted to do it in an inexpensive and accessible way. We wanted to bring the best business model ? mobile ? to the television. That means you have to build something that's incredibly powerful and yet inexpensive."

The Android 4.0-powered console is one of the greater success stories in crowdfunding site Kickstarter's history, hitting its $1 million funding goal in eight hours, with a new supporter roughly every 5.59 seconds. It will ship to early backers in late March, and several thousand developers are said to be looking to port or make games for the console.

infinityblade
Low development costs and high profits made "Infinity Blade" on iOS one of the most profitable ever for publisher Epic Games.

Ouya will enter a gaming industry much changed over the past five years. The introduction of Apple's iPhone ? and Google's Android platform ? gave smaller developers a massive potential audience for their games, as well as a method of publishing and distribution much easier than the ones seen on traditional gaming consoles. Since then, mobile devices have captured the attention of developers, with even some large companies seeing their most profitable releases coming from mobile. A number of developers currently view Apple as a gaming giant with the potential to upend the industry if it decides to focus more on gaming.

As mobile platforms have grown in strength, traditional home and portable consoles have suffered. Nintendo's follow-up to its wildly popular Wii console, the Wii-U, has seen middling sales, forcing the gaming giant to scale back its earlier sales predictions and move up major releases in order to generate interest. Sony's PlayStation Vita portable console, already seeing lackluster sales, recently received a price cut in order to make it more competitive with mobile devices like the iPad.
post #2 of 96
"You're not having an emotional experience

Maybe focus more on storytelling and gameplay mechanics than on graphics. 

I'm ignoring the 'on a tablet' bit, because it doesn't matter the manner in which you have the experience; it can't be improved on a console if there isn't one to begin with.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 96
I'm excited by the potential of the Ouya system. Bringing the mobile pricing structure and ease of development to the TV with a physical controller is a niche that no one has exploited yet (and no, plugging your phone into a TV doesn't count). The Ouya also has the standard video streaming apps that smart TV's have.

That said, an Apple TV with a physical gaming controller would crush this.
post #4 of 96
Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post
That said, an Apple TV with a physical gaming controller would crush this.

An Apple TV with an iDevice as the controller would still crush it.

post #5 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

An Apple TV with an iDevice as the controller would still crush it.

Perhaps but nothing beats a proper controller.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #6 of 96
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Perhaps but nothing beats a proper controller.

Ooh. Challenge. And, as an aside, the concept of "proper".

post #7 of 96

Here's a flash for you, Julie. Real emotional experiences happen in life. 

A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #8 of 96
This poor fellow is confusing form with content. His philosophy doesn't bode well for his company. Pretty limited thinking and disregard for the direction and possibility of the market.
post #9 of 96
Proper: Something that can be thrown across the room in anger after getting killed for the twentieth time (and not cost you a fortune to replace)

1wink.gif
post #10 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlingdave View Post

This poor fellow is confusing form with content. His philosophy doesn't bode well for his company. Pretty limited thinking and disregard for the direction and possibility of the market.

Gender identification fail.  Try again.

post #11 of 96

Emotional experiences aren't all that commonplace on traditional consoles either; it has nothing to do with form factor.

censored

censored

post #12 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Proper: Something that can be thrown across the room in anger after getting killed for the twentieth time (and not cost you a fortune to replace)

1wink.gif

Improper: getting hit in the head by said something like I did yesterday when my son threw it in anger.
post #13 of 96
I don't know what he's talking about. I get really emotional when it comes to Words with Friends. Finally got my first 500 point game last week. Take that, Mom!* Woo hoo!

* Seriously! She's really tough to beat. She'll remind you of Rose from the Golden Girls but plays a mean game of WwF and Wheel of Fortune.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #14 of 96
Quote:

Improper: getting hit in the head by said something like I did yesterday when my son threw it in anger.

Gaming: It's all about reflexes.

For both you and the gamer. ;)

You're lucky he wasn't playing on an iPad...

post #15 of 96
No, that's not a stretch at all. Really, marketing is about turning even a minor differentiation into a chasm, and trying to sell people on the idea that your side of the chasm is best. And she's trying her best, but I just don't see her argument flying.

The Ouya is an interesting concept, and it may well get traction. But this argument against mobile devices seems contrived.
post #16 of 96
Quote:

Gaming: It's all about reflexes.

For both you and the gamer. 1wink.gif

You're lucky he wasn't playing on an iPad...

I would've need Spidey senses to avoid being hit. I was too busy reading AI to have seen it coming.
post #17 of 96

The only emotional experience I've had with our PS3 is "crap....there went $65..sucky game."

I'm with others anyhow. The emotional experience with gaming is not that high a bar to reach. As Solipsism said, he gets a tingle up his leg playing WWF. Can't argue with that. I absolutely fell in love with Letterpress. I've twisted and turned painfully while playing Real Racing as well.

The games that leave me feeling empty inside are almost any 1st-person shooter title on the PS3, of which there are thousands.

When (if) the Apple TV can play the games we download on our iOS devices and bluetooth controllers abound, that will be very interesting. Though I sure don't mind playing on my iPad while comfy in bed. Both have their strengths.

post #18 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

No, that's not a stretch at all. Really, marketing is about turning even a minor differentiation into a chasm, and trying to sell people on the idea that your side of the chasm is best. And she's trying her best, but I just don't see her argument flying.

The Ouya is an interesting concept, and it may well get traction. But this argument against mobile devices seems contrived.

Have you done any serious gaming on a console? I've done so on both and while a mobile game can be lots of fun it cannot duplicate the experience of playing a console game.
post #19 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The only emotional experience I've had with our PS3 is "crap....there went $65..sucky game."

I'm with others anyhow. The emotional experience with gaming is not that high a bar to reach. As Solipsism said, he gets a tingle up his leg playing WWF. Can't argue with that. I absolutely fell in love with Letterpress. I've twisted and turned painfully while playing Real Racing as well.

The games that leave me feeling empty inside are almost any 1st-person shooter title on the PS3, of which there are thousands.

When (if) the Apple TV can play the games we download on our iOS devices and bluetooth controllers abound, that will be very interesting. Though I sure don't mind playing on my iPad while comfy in bed. Both have their strengths.

Play Uncharted 1,2, 3 and Heavy Rain.
post #20 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know what he's talking about. I get really emotional when it comes to Words with Friends. Finally got my first 500 point game last week. Take that, Mom!* Woo hoo!

* Seriously! She's really tough to beat. She'll remind you of Rose from the Golden Girls but plays a mean game of WwF and Wheel of Fortune.

WWF? Does it involve saving Pandas? Or did you mean WWE? I've never researched how they lost that moniker after having it for so many years.
post #21 of 96
Quote:

WWF?

WwF is Words with Friends.

PS: Jim Jefferies on Pandas:

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/16/13 at 6:55pm

post #22 of 96
Quote:

WWF? Does it involve saving Pandas? Or did you mean WWE? I've never researched how they lost that moniker after having it for so many years.

The World Wildlife Foundation started about 1961 - long before the World Wrestling Federation changed their name in the 70's.  Doesn't mater how long you use it, it's who get it first.

post #23 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

WwF is Words with Friends.

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eqUtK61SOs

Be careful WWF is trademarked. Just when I was picturing you as a turnbuckle eater.
post #24 of 96

Yeah. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. A gaming console featuring my favorite operating system so that I could play games made mostly by amateurs. I'll pass.

Of the 480 launch titles compiled by one Ouya fan forum, a great number are being made by small-time developers with little to no experience making games.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/for-love-of-the-game-first-time-developers-talk-the-ouya-experience/

post #25 of 96
This thing is grossly underpowered.
post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You're not having an emotional experience on a tablet," Uhrman explained, asked about what makes the Android-based Ouya console stand out from the larger trend toward mobile gaming. "You're not engaged. It's more of a distraction."

Can't say I ever had an emotional experience with a console game either. 

And I don't know about anyone else but I play games because they are a distraction

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #27 of 96
Quote:

1wink.gif

get Apple Care. problem solved

not to mention that there are a number of BT controllers made by 3rd party companies that you can use with your iOS games etc. Alone or via AirPlay to your TV. And toss that if needed

post #28 of 96

I agree that consoles are better than phones/tablets, but the Ouya isn't a console. It's a smartphone with a controller running an in-efficient bloated OS.

Hardcore gamers won't be happy with the lousy performance the Tegra 3/Android combination provides. And as already mentioned, the 480 games aren't written for the Ouya - they are existing Android games that will happen to run on an Ouya (since it's Android) or will run with a bare minimum of modification needed. Launching a console with 475 sub-standard games and 5 OK games isn't going to cut it.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #29 of 96

I find the PC the most immersive gaming experience, simply because the graphics (due to being the best of all platforms) are the closest to actual reality. The new Tomb Raider game/reboot (which I am currently about 1/4 way through) is just amazing in terms of graphics and drawing you in.

However it is so difficult to write stories and create characters that really grab people, that many console games are no more immersive than tablet games. That is the real limitation, not technology.

post #30 of 96

The woman is a top-notch bullshitter. She will go far.

post #31 of 96
Quote:

Have you done any serious gaming on a console? I've done so on both and while a mobile game can be lots of fun it cannot duplicate the experience of playing a console game.

Do you understand the (at least apparent) contradiction in the phrase "serious gaming"?

It's been a little while for me.

Sure, the experience is different, but I don't see where there is an "emotional experience" on one and not the other. To suggest such a dichotomy is clearly overplaying the angle. Mobile certainly is more conducive to casual gaming, but that doesn't mean there won't be a lot of people that play for hours.
Edited by JeffDM - 3/16/13 at 8:46pm
post #32 of 96
I can see having a cold aluminum controller being an emotional experience. I think I would be pissed to grab an ice cold controller in the middle of winter. But I guess that's where the accessories come in.
post #33 of 96
This is basically a modern console version of the GP2x http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Open source means emulators, homebrew and of course piracy. I dont expect many developers to survive on this platform as it wont be long before every game is available for free and with hacks to remove ingame purchases etc.
post #34 of 96
I am really excited about this. I think their are a lot o mobile games like infinity blade that would be so much more fun with controller optimized controls (sorry for the redundancy). The only thing that can limit this device is developers. I think that when this thing starts to take of the bigger developers will start to take more notice of it and be like "Ok, we'll make a little something for this console and see how it goes" an as more and more people see how much potential there is it will be a upward spiral from there.
post #35 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

This is basically a modern console version of the GP2x http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Open source means emulators, homebrew and of course piracy. I dont expect many developers to survive on this platform as it wont be long before every game is available for free and with hacks to remove ingame purchases etc.

In all fairness, wasn't that fate supposed to happen with Android? Windows games should have suffered that demise as well.
post #36 of 96
In all fairness, wasn't that fate supposed to happen with Android?

It has, hasn't it? Developers don't make nearly the money in Android as they do iOS, and what was that story about a 90% piracy rate?

Windows games should have suffered that demise as well.

Hmm… how so?

post #37 of 96
Quote:

It has, hasn't it? Developers don't make nearly the money in Android as they do iOS, and what was that story about a 90% piracy rate?

You might have seen this one TS and assumed it was an Android story. I remembered the Battle Dungeon story from around Christmas. Piracy is a problem on every platform.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/42898/Easier-iPhone-piracy-threatens-game-makers

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #38 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

get Apple Care. problem solved

not to mention that there are a number of BT controllers made by 3rd party companies that you can use with your iOS games etc. Alone or via AirPlay to your TV. And toss that if needed

Actually, you've just given me an idea for an utterly original game...

post #39 of 96
Quote:

It didn't kill the platform did it? Developers still support it, don't they?

Quote:
Hmm… how so?

Windows is pretty prone to piracy and hacking. Despite the OS being almost totally closed source, that doesn't give much, if any, protection against hacking and piracy.
Edited by JeffDM - 3/16/13 at 9:19pm
post #40 of 96
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
You might have seen this one TS and assumed it was an Android story. I remembered the Battle Dungeon story from around Christmas. Piracy is a problem on every platform.

No, I certainly remember it being Android.

I wonder, though. With Installous and the other two main piracy sources now gone, is there nearly as much iOS piracy anymore?

It didn't kill the platform did it? Developers still support it, don't they?

For years we've read stuff about there being far less incentive to do so, though. The fact that they just don't make as much money there is itself a warning.

Windows is pretty prone to piracy and hacking. Despite the OS being almost totally closed source, that doesn't give much, if any, protection against hacking and piracy.

Ah, but that's different. You can't just plop down any old file in iOS. And you can see the problems of mishandled piracy in Windows games plain as day. The SimCity franchise, for example, is destroyed now, partially due to EA's blundering incompetence and mismanagement of Maxis in ruining the feature set of the game itself (and the ability to build a new version without game-breaking bugs), and partially due to their utterly broken DRM whereby they lied to their entire audience and refuse to give refunds. It's not just EA that does this.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Ouya CEO on mobile gaming: 'You're not having an emotional experience'