or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls' - Page 4

post #121 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

As I said, I gave up on that site years ago, but I would argue that the rules of most forums are invalid and anachronistic.  The proof is that they basically don't work anymore, here or there.  

I'm not saying I have the answer, but there definitely needs to be a complete re-think on how moderation is accomplished before it will ever start working again (if that's even possible).  

I would argue that the emphasis on "swear words" for instance is ridiculous, and that the secondary emphasis on "personal attacks" as "a line that must not be crossed" is also.  This is legislation against human nature and pretends we are all robots.  The idea that the whole system works off of "user complaints" seems equally flawed to me as well.  That just means the whiners get their way.  

Also, nothing personal, but the sheer arbitrariness of moderation is always a problem regardless of who's doing it.  I've been a moderator myself on boards and forums going back to before the web even existed and it's really impossible to be 100% fair and even handed no matter how much you try.  

It's definitely either an impossible task or a task that requires some very new and different approach.  I tend to think that it's not impossible but that's just me. 

Plus there are trolls on that site just begging to be insulted. I've been reported and suspended a few times in my 8 years commenting there. Each time the a-hole had it coming.
post #122 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Cases on iPhone give protection agains scratching and other physical damage by dropping. They don't need protection against bending. Plastic phones do, but there is no acceptable size rigid protective case that can beat iPhone unibody design. iPhone glass will not break by bending. iPhone are of unprecedented physical quality.

So aluminum isn't bendable?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #123 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So aluminum isn't bendable?

It is extremely unlikely that you're going to accidentally apply enough force to bend an iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #124 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That forum is awful! I like the short blog-lik articles and I like Arn Kim, but that forum is worthless. Yet it gets a huge number of posters and replies. I think it's where the people that posted on Digg moved to.

I've said it before, AI's forum is the best I've ever been on. Not just for Apple, computer, or tech related news, but in general.

Even sites like AnandTech fail to have the engaging conversations found here. Their main article forum simply doesn't lend to having a conversation and their proper forum, while very in-depth, is usually more focused on posters on pimping some setting or some specific knowledge-base with little to know interest in sharing for sake of educating -and- being educated.

i'm always amazed at the caliber of comments and range of topics found on this forum. I have to learned a lot over the years and like to think I've given something back to the community.
I find AI and The Verge to be the most authentic when it comes to engaging conversation.
post #125 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Yep, that seems to be their agenda.

Will this matter to Google that much? The majority of Google's mobile revenues come from iOS, no?

 

It's very clear that Android isn't important to Google in the long run.  Larry Page himself said that he's "not sure" that Android is very important to Google:

 

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/04/18/larry.page.sees.android.as.vehicle.for.ads/

 

Yes, Google makes more money from iOS (from ad revenue) than from all of Android.  In fact, Google only generates $1.70 of revenue per Android device per year.

 

Peanuts.

 

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/02/asymco-google-makes-only-1-70-a-year-per-android-device/

 

And it's rapidly changing for the worse.  Siri just shows you what it thinks is the right answer, without Google search's pay-for-placement spammy ads on a browser page, and in many cases totally without using Google search at all.  The Wolfram Alpha and Yelp services are just the start.

 

So no, losing even more Android revenue as Samsung cuts its heart out (the "profit layer") then possibly replaces Android completely with Tizen, may not hurt Google much in the long run.  Certainly not as much as dumping $12.5 billion on Motorola solely for thousands of useless patents.

 

No, Google will do what Microsoft did.  Microsoft made a half-hearted attempt at success in the post-PC era, then fell back on their core competencies: legacy Windows + Office + Enterprise.  Google is making a half-hearted attempt at a mobile OS, but soon they will be forced to fall back on AdSense advertisements on web pages.  They've already removed ad blocker apps from Google Play.  Never forget: 96% of Google's revenue comes from ads.  Google will certainly never forget that.

 

The rampant fragmentation and forking of Android will lead to one or more of the forks being more popular than Google's generic baseline releases.  The Samsung fork, if and when it happens, would instantly become the de facto standard.  And it won't have the Google Profit Layer (tm) any more.  Replaced by Samsung's "Sam Hub," and other proprietary stores and services.

 

This is why ChromeOS is so important to Google.  Because it's designed to handle  AdSense ads.  


Edited by SockRolid - 3/17/13 at 11:26am

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #126 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow. Sony phone taking a picture of a Microsoft product, displayed on a Samsung screen. Quality post ¡

Says the guy who's phone has a Sony camera.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #127 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Yes, Google makes more money from iOS (from ad revenue) than from all of Android.  In fact, Google only generates $1.70 of revenue per Android device per year.

Peanuts.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/02/asymco-google-makes-only-1-70-a-year-per-android-device/

I wonder if that's based on activations. If so, that would mean proper smartphones running Android, not just a feature phone with Android for the OS, are having to pick up a lot of slack as many of those feature phones simply aren't being used as smartphone users would naturally expect.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #128 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It is extremely unlikely that you're going to accidentally apply enough force to bend an iPhone.

I agree that's it's highly unlikely but it's not impossible. Apple used plastic in the 3G/3GS and I don't recall anyone criticizing them for it especially since it was a step backward from the original iPhone. Was there a problem with the 3G/S bending and breaking? No so why should it all of a sudden be a concern?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #129 of 214
You can't design a phone with a soul if you don't have one yourself.
post #130 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I agree that's it's highly unlikely but it's not impossible. Apple used plastic in the 3G/3GS and I don't recall anyone criticizing them for it especially since it was a step backward from the original iPhone. Was there a problem with the 3G/S bending and breaking? No so why should it all of a sudden be a concern?

What?! They were criticized constantly for exactly what you said "a step backwards." Then you have people like DaHarder claiming it wasn't masculine enough when they made the change. Apple wins in the sales and profits but when it comes to the anti-Apple rhetoric they are drowning in it. I suppose that's the price of having an excessive amount of mindshare.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #131 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What?! They were criticized constantly for exactly what you said "a step backwards." Then you have people like DaHarder claiming it wasn't masculine enough when they made the change. Apple wins in the sales and profits but when it comes to the anti-Apple rhetoric they are drowning in it. I suppose that's the price of having an excessive amount of mindshare.

Ahh gotcha, I was still stuck in feature phone hell in 2008.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #132 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

You are so correct. These are supposed to be "all about Apple" sites but lately it seems like they're going with whatever seems to be popular. Which is fine I guess if that's what they want to do, they have the right, but if that's the route they're going to go then rename the site.

The problem was when Apple refreshed so many devices in one shot leaving sites like AI a huge void to fill in the following months. Normally the new iPad would've been on the forefront of discussions here.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #133 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post


Plus there are trolls on that site just begging to be insulted. I've been reported and suspended a few times in my 8 years commenting there. Each time the a-hole had it coming.

I was put in time out there for suggesting when the S4 comes out everyone who has an S3 will upgrade and won't complain about repairability and upgradeability like they do with Apple products.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy of people who rag on Apple every time they get a low score from iFixit, yet are the first ones to buy an new android phone or complain that Apple isn't updating their product lines quick enough to keep up with Android OEM's.  obviously someone must have reported me for it. How ridiculous.

post #134 of 214
This page is becoming Samsung Insider
post #135 of 214
I count 6 different typefaces on the Samsung poster. What a disgrace from a designers point of view.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Reply
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Reply
post #136 of 214
Originally Posted by carlemil View Post
I count 6 different typefaces on the Samsung poster. What a disgrace from a designers point of view.

 

Well, at least it wasn't a combination of the worst.


You probably won't be able to see at least one of those…
 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #137 of 214
Damned if they do, damned if they dont. Samsungs polycarbonate(plastic to us) gets good reception from its main users who do not realy want to be on a very short standby. They have a different market so to mess with it is peril.
post #138 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The problem was when Apple refreshed so many devices in one shot leaving sites like AI a huge void to fill in the following months. Normally the new iPad would've been on the forefront of discussions here.

Much as I generally dislike your posts, I have to cede a point here.

post #139 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It's funny, when the iPhone 4 was just rumoured in the leaks from Gizmodo you were misogynistically wanting that design to be real as you pejoratively claimed that their beveled, polycarbonate iPhone 3G/3Gs designs were too effeminate. Now you not only long for those curves and soft feel of plastic but also that large protruding nipple of the camera lens on the S IV. One might think you've actually stopped being sexist but I think you've just tailored your argument to hate on Apple regardless of what they do.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


Well caught, let him try and slither out of this.
One may use the nipple to suckle on perhaps, and added bonus in owning this plastic fantastic.

 

Notice how DaHarder did not mention the recyclable aspect of the 10s of millions of the "more superior" Samsung polycarbonate (plastic) devices. When a company sells a respectable amount of devices, the recyclability should be a major consideration of the overall design process.

 

Also notice that DaHarder's MO as of late seems to be "drive by" comments. One and done.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #140 of 214
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Also notice that DaHarder's MO as of late seems to be "drive by" comments.

 

I preferred his drive by thumbs-ups.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #141 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


Notice how DaHarder did not mention the recyclable aspect of the 10s of millions of the "more superior" Samsung polycarbonate (plastic) devices. When a company sells a respectable amount of devices, the recyclability should be a major consideration of the overall design process.

Also notice that DaHarder's MO as of late seems to be "drive by" comments. One and done.

If Apple was selling a plastic device and Samsung was selling an aluminium device I think it's likely he would be. It's almost as if being objective isn't his objective.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #142 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

If you ignore the "filler" comments that don't contribute much, I find the signal to noise ratio at Mac Rumours to be one intelligent adult (probably one of the few females), to roughly every 30 yahoos.  I would put AppleInsider at more like a 1:5 ratio.  My rule is that once this ratio goes past 1:10 or so I'm wasting my time and it's time to move on.  Sadly there are few places to "move on" to nowadays.    

 

I tend to agree with you on signal-to-noise ratios. I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but it's a good way to put it. I stopped visiting MacRumors because of high amount of useless comments. My "ignore" list was a lot higher there too. 

 

I do enjoy reading well written articles that report on the state of things in the Android, Windows, and BlackBerry worlds because I can count on some of the people in the comment section to help correlate that to Apple's products. So, unlike some of the commentors, I am not disturbed by AI including such stories in the mix. Apple certainly does not exist in a market vacuum. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #143 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


Notice how DaHarder did not mention the recyclable aspect of the 10s of millions of the "more superior" Samsung polycarbonate (plastic) devices. When a company sells a respectable amount of devices, the recyclability should be a major consideration of the overall design process.

What's the point? Polycarbonate can be recycled.
http://www.recycledplastic.com/resource/plastic/polycarbonate-pc/
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #144 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What's the point? Polycarbonate can be recycled.
http://www.recycledplastic.com/resource/plastic/polycarbonate-pc/

Plastics and their traits is one area that I have near 100% trust in what you have to say about it.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #145 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What's the point? Polycarbonate can be recycled.
http://www.recycledplastic.com/resource/plastic/polycarbonate-pc/

It's all carbon, right? But what is the cost for recycling? Typically when I see something is made from recycled plastic it's only a small portion. Why is that? Glass and metal seems to be much better product for recycling than plastics in their various molecular makeups.

And shouldn't we look at the cost in both expense and green house gases that is need to first make or obtain the pure material that is in question? I would think metals are notoriously high for their initial cost.

This is all beyond my purview; I'm just spitballing.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #146 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


It is extremely unlikely that you're going to accidentally apply enough force to bend an iPhone.

Apple does not use soft aluminum for its cases. In fact it's a very rigid block of aluminum alloy that is then routed out, not extruded or formed. The thinner the device the more the need for a rigid construction. It is the same reason that MBP and MBA are made the same way and out of the same materials as the iPhone, iPad and iPods. A chassis for the electronics need to not torque or deform to insure reliable operation of the device, and that's the thinking behind Apple's use of Aluminum and interest in Liquid Metal. 

 

Liquid Metal may allow Apple to release products with a more organic shape if they wish, however then that becomes a design decision and not a material limitation.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #147 of 214
I see things like this, regardless of what Samsung says, they are putting out a very inferior product compared to Apple. The general public looks at things from a "more bang for the buck" point of view. I bet there will be alot of, "What is the difference between the S3 and S4?" and then people realizing that paying more for the ability to hover their fingers over the screen or a few more pixels packed into a screen is ridiculous. Samsung screwed themselves by what they have done with the S4. They had Apple on it's knees and could have taken the cake if they produced a superior product to the iPhone. Let's all face it, the iPhone is like a Ferrari, finely crafted, aesthetically pleasing, and lasts a long time. Samsung products are like a Kia or Toyota....not that they are a bad car but, they aren't a Ferrari.
post #148 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I feel that reports serve to bring to the attention of moderators posts that may violate rules or decency. We are neither compelled to nor do we act on every report we see. I think they work well in that regard; the only problem as of late is people NOT reporting things that should have been. 

...

 

When I said it was foolish to base things on complaints, I meant like in the case of an argument on a forum that goes back and forth and gets heated and it gets personal etc. and yet no one complains and instead simply hurls epithets back the other way.  Then one person complains about the "personal attacks" (when in fact *everyone* is being "personal"), the moderator looks at the complaint and finds it valid, (why wouldn't they since "personal attacks" are a violation), and the person complained about gets sanctioned.  

 

All the other players, including the one who complained, get off scott free since the moderator hasn't got the time to read every post and there's no requirement to assess all the parties in question anyway.  "Complaints" are often used as weapons in that way. 

 

If moderation only deals with complaints, then it's unfair by definition in that it isn't looking at all the posts, just the few that are complained about.  On the other hand, it's impossible to look at all the posts, so it's understandable why the system is that way. Personally, I'd rather see a system based on the overall profile or "usefulness" of the individual over time, not infraction based, or even rule based at all.  "Personal attacks" in particular are to a large degree in the mind of the person attacked.  

 

I know I've received infractions for personal attacks even when I've spent the extra time to analyse every single word I've said to make sure that it *wasn't* a personal attack.  I still got the infraction however, because the person in question "felt" aggrieved or because the moderator was unable to parse my statements properly. It's also trivially easy to (technically) not be attacking a person but still make statements that make said person look like a complete fool, so if there is a way for smart people who are very familiar with the English language to essentially insult someone and get away with it, it's a bit biased to say that another person less capable with English perhaps should be censured for the occasional insult.  

 

I think the whole ad hominem attack rule is ridiculous in that sense.  It's based on the rules of formal English debate that really don't apply in a public forum.  At the very least, the rule is too hastily and too broadly applied.  If two people are having a debate on issues and one momentarily stops and calls the other one a name, that isn't really an "ad hominem" attack, it's a slip of the tongue in the heat of the moment.  Someone who constantly attacks the person instead of the topic is a different thing altogether.  

 

I just think people should have thicker skins in general.  The internet is about as public as "public" gets, yet everyone seems to expect formal British English rules of debate to apply as if society in general were as civil as a private tea party.  

post #149 of 214

I love it. Devices with "souls". Well done Samsung. 

 

There isn't a single statement in that drivel that isn't just platonic bullshit.  

 

Samsung literally hasn't done a single thing to move forward the smartphone or tablet space, either through hardware or software, besides making giant phones. Build quality is cheap and shitty plastic, breaking no new ground whatsoever, and their skins and software is even worse. Anything successful they've done is either a near identical ripoff, or a slight deviation. All they're left with is buzzwords like "nature" and "souls" to obscure their countless shameless ripoffs and the fact that they do not posess a single original thought. 

post #150 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

When I said it was foolish to base things on complaints, I meant like in the case of an argument on a forum that goes back and forth and gets heated and it gets personal etc. and yet no one complains and instead simply hurls epithets back the other way.  Then one person complains about the "personal attacks" (when in fact *everyone* is being "personal"), the moderator looks at the complaint and finds it valid, (why wouldn't they since "personal attacks" are a violation), and the person complained about gets sanctioned.  

 

All the other players, including the one who complained, get off scott free since the moderator hasn't got the time to read every post and there's no requirement to assess all the parties in question anyway.  "Complaints" are often used as weapons in that way. 

 

If moderation only deals with complaints, then it's unfair by definition in that it isn't looking at all the posts, just the few that are complained about.  On the other hand, it's impossible to look at all the posts, so it's understandable why the system is that way. Personally, I'd rather see a system based on the overall profile or "usefulness" of the individual over time, not infraction based, or even rule based at all.  "Personal attacks" in particular are to a large degree in the mind of the person attacked.  

 

I know I've received infractions for personal attacks even when I've spent the extra time to analyse every single word I've said to make sure that it *wasn't* a personal attack.  I still got the infraction however, because the person in question "felt" aggrieved or because the moderator was unable to parse my statements properly. It's also trivially easy to (technically) not be attacking a person but still make statements that make said person look like a complete fool, so if there is a way for smart people who are very familiar with the English language to essentially insult someone and get away with it, it's a bit biased to say that another person less capable with English perhaps should be censured for the occasional insult.  

 

I think the whole ad hominem attack rule is ridiculous in that sense.  It's based on the rules of formal English debate that really don't apply in a public forum.  At the very least, the rule is too hastily and too broadly applied.  If two people are having a debate on issues and one momentarily stops and calls the other one a name, that isn't really an "ad hominem" attack, it's a slip of the tongue in the heat of the moment.  Someone who constantly attacks the person instead of the topic is a different thing altogether.  

 

I just think people should have thicker skins in general.  The internet is about as public as "public" gets, yet everyone seems to expect formal British English rules of debate to apply as if society in general were as civil as a private tea party.  

I disagree. I think it's completely possible to fairly police the forum and keep the discussions civil. There's absolutely no gain from name-calling, personal accusations and profanity. I've no idea why you think threads turning into a street fight are OK because it reflects society and the players should just get thicker skins. It might be a reflection of your neighborhood. It's doesn't apply to mine, and I'm glad it doesn't. 

 

Do you honestly believe the discussions benefit from ad-homs more than being civil to each other so that the intended recipient may actually be open to what you have to say rather than formulating a way to get back at what you just called him? I know you're familiar with the old flies and honey saying. It still applies. I can nearly guarantee that if another member here goes on a personal attack against you, whatever else they have to say is going to get ignored even if it's pertinent. You won't care other than to find something said in it you can use for a counter-attack. It happens every day here, over and over. Good suggestions and fair comments/opinions lost in a ocean of epithats, arrogance, pomposity and general attacks on the person rather than the ideas they posted.

 

If you want to take back the forums I made suggestions in an earlier post. They work.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156513/samsung-design-chief-talks-plastic-and-software-says-future-is-in-devices-with-souls/80#post_2295299

 

It will take some solid commitment from the admin and mods but the benefits will be huge. The worst offenders will find other places to infect while new members who appreciate a site for civil discussion will take their places many times over. Right now I don't know of another high-profile tech forum where your mother could feel comfortable visiting with a question, comment or opinion. AI could host that forum and it would be unique.

 

Wouldn't it be great if people actually heard what you had to say and found it worth consideration instead of encountering 10 posts of  juvenile and trollish ad-homs and accusations with the occasional relevant and thoughtful post hidden in the midst of them?  Of course. Advocating loosening the rules to make profanity, ad-homs and generally egregious behavior more acceptable will give you even more of what you're trying to avoid: Worse "trolls" on both sides than you have now. and every man for himself.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #151 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

Samsung screwed themselves by what they have done with the S4. They had Apple on it's knees and could have taken the cake if they produced a superior product to the iPhone. Let's all face it, the iPhone is like a Ferrari, finely crafted, aesthetically pleasing, and lasts a long time. Samsung products are like a Kia or Toyota....not that they are a bad car but, they aren't a Ferrari.

How did Sammy have Apple on its knees? The 5 AND 4 outsold the GS3. In addition, Apple did have 70% of the mobile profits.
post #152 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's all carbon, right? But what is the cost for recycling? Typically when I see something is made from recycled plastic it's only a small portion. Why is that? Glass and metal seems to be much better product for recycling than plastics in their various molecular makeups.

And shouldn't we look at the cost in both expense and green house gases that is need to first make or obtain the pure material that is in question? I would think metals are notoriously high for their initial cost.

This is all beyond my purview; I'm just spitballing.

Read the link I provided. There's apparently enough recycling of polycarbonate going on that it's in high demand in China.

Now, given the environmental rules there (or lack thereof), ti's unlikely that they're buying it for environmental reasons, so it must be profitable.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #153 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Read the link I provided. There's apparently enough recycling of polycarbonate going on that it's in high demand in China.

Now, given the environmental rules there (or lack thereof), ti's unlikely that they're buying it for environmental reasons, so it must be profitable.

I did read it, hence my questions. Your comment about environmental reasons and then stating it must be profitable perplexes me. I'm under the assumption that China still has very lax environmental laws compared to other industrialized nations. So how do plastics stand up to other materials like metals and glass when it comes to repeated reusability for the aforementioned costs?
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/17/13 at 5:48pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #154 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


So aluminum isn't bendable?

 

Yes, there is a large prevalance of ignorance on this forum and very little Manufacturing Engineering in their backgrounds.

post #155 of 214
Thats why Samsung will fail.Apple has soul and LOVE!
post #156 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What's the point? Polycarbonate can be recycled.
http://www.recycledplastic.com/resource/plastic/polycarbonate-pc/

 

Polycarbonate BPAs using CO2 as a feedstock instead of petroleum reduces the overall carbon footprint, but until that's fully enforced a lot of manufacturing will just use petroleum based polymers.

 

Solid Report on it: http://chemical.ihs.com/PEP/Public/Reports/Phase_2012/RP285/RP285_toc.pdf

 

To get the whole report it costs money: http://www.ihs.com/products/chemical/technology/pep/index.aspx

post #157 of 214

It was a spoken presentation, right? Not written?

 

Just wondering if he was misunderstood or misheard.

 

Could have just as easily said he wanted to design a device with asshole.

post #158 of 214

I doubt plastic can have soul, but I know rubber soul is well known.

post #159 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


Notice how DaHarder did not mention the recyclable aspect of the 10s of millions of the "more superior" Samsung polycarbonate (plastic) devices. When a company sells a respectable amount of devices, the recyclability should be a major consideration of the overall design process.

Also notice that DaHarder's MO as of late seems to be "drive by" comments. One and done.
Very good points to which I agree on all.
You actually beat me as I was about to post on his
MO, like a drive by shooter. Or a Cookoo that lays
it's eggs and moves on, damage done
post #160 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's all carbon, right? But what is the cost for recycling? Typically when I see something is made from recycled plastic it's only a small portion. Why is that? Glass and metal seems to be much better product for recycling than plastics in their various molecular makeups.

And shouldn't we look at the cost in both expense and green house gases that is need to first make or obtain the pure material that is in question? I would think metals are notoriously high for their initial cost.

This is all beyond my purview; I'm just spitballing.
Glass is benign so when it's melted no harmful
Chemical substances are given off.
Similar the case with most metals. However pkastics
are a different kettle of fish.
They give off noxious and and depending on the plastic
very dangerous organic compounds.
Unless its a plastic bottle that can simply be
cleaned and re-used, recycling plastics come with
a bad side effect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls'