or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls' - Page 5

post #161 of 214

First pebbles in streams, now devices with souls. Okaaay....

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #162 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Glass is benign so when it's melted no harmful
Chemical substances are given off.
Similar the case with most metals. However pkastics
are a different kettle of fish.
They give off noxious and and depending on the plastic
very dangerous organic compounds.
Unless its a plastic bottle that can simply be
cleaned and re-used, recycling plastics come with
a bad side effect.

That is, of course nonsense. You're reacting from an uneducated, irrational fear of 'chemicals'.

There are plenty of harmful chemicals involved in the mining and manufacture of metals. Look at all the leach ponds out west.

And plastics don't give off 'noxious and dangerous' organic compounds simply from being melted.

Recycling of plastics is well established and quite environmentally friendly.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #163 of 214
"I think over time, though, it's all of our responsibilities not to put more layers of hardware and glass in front of our users."

Does he really think we are all THAT stupid?!?!?
post #164 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Polycarbonate BPAs using CO2 as a feedstock instead of petroleum reduces the overall carbon footprint, but until that's fully enforced a lot of manufacturing will just use petroleum based polymers.

Solid Report on it: http://chemical.ihs.com/PEP/Public/Reports/Phase_2012/RP285/RP285_toc.pdf

To get the whole report it costs money: http://www.ihs.com/products/chemical/technology/pep/index.aspx

I'm not interested in getting the report and it's irrelevant, anyway. The argument was about recycling. That report is about the initial synthesis. There's nothing wrong with recycling of plastics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I did read it, hence my questions. Your comment about environmental reasons and then stating it must be profitable perplexes me. I'm under the assumption that China still has very lax environmental laws compared to other industrialized nations. So how do plastics stand up to other materials like metals and glass when it comes to repeated reusability for the aforementioned costs?

Please, study up a bit on recycling. It's not as complicated as you're making it. Recycling of plastics (including PC) is very clean and simple. Plastics are NOT, however, generally reused repeatedly. More commonly, the plastic is melted and used in some other product. For example, a common application is the use of polyethylene terepthalate (PET) from bottles to make clothing.

Recycling is not a dirty process. A modern recycling plant could be operating next door to you and you wouldn't know it. It's clean and fairly inexpensive to recycle plastics. The bigger problem is actually collecting enough plastics inexpensively enough to make it worthwhile.

The point about China is that they're not recycling for environmental reasons, but there is huge demand for used PC so that they can recycle it. The fact that there's so much demand indicates that they can make money on it - so it's clearly a reasonable process.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #165 of 214
"Samsung's American design chief says the future of mobile isn't in form factors; it's in making devices with "soul."

Maybe he meant to say "Seoul"? 1wink.gif
post #166 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please, study up a bit on recycling. It's not as complicated as you're making it. Recycling of plastics (including PC) is very clean and simple. Plastics are NOT, however, generally reused repeatedly. More commonly, the plastic is melted and used in some other product. For example, a common application is the use of polyethylene terepthalate (PET) from bottles to make clothing.

Honestly, I don't care enough to be well versed in how plastics are recycled, but as far as complexity I'm aware as how heat is used to recycle glass and metals, but it seems to be a chemical process over heat is used for plastic. If not, then I am making it more complex. If so, then it's more complex than other recycling processes.

If you have a How It's Made link I'll watch that.
Quote:
Recycling is not a dirty process. A modern recycling plant could be operating next door to you and you wouldn't know it. It's clean and fairly inexpensive to recycle plastics. The bigger problem is actually collecting enough plastics inexpensively enough to make it worthwhile.

The point about China is that they're not recycling for environmental reasons, but there is huge demand for used PC so that they can recycle it. The fact that there's so much demand indicates that they can make money on it - so it's clearly a reasonable process.

None of that answers what I thought was a non-complex question about two different costs for recycling.

If you say that recycling plastic is just as efficient as glass and aluminum then I'd think that the sourcing of the proper aluminum purity would be a huge up front cost in both money and it's toll on the environment. However, I've never once heard anyone argue that we should never use metal (or glass) when plastics can do just as well because of the cost to the environment for sourcing the materials.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #167 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Honestly, I don't care enough to be well versed in how plastics are recycled, but as far as complexity I'm aware as how heat is used to recycle glass and metals, but it seems to be a chemical process over heat is used for plastic. If not, then I am making it more complex. If so, then it's more complex than other recycling processes.

If you have a How It's Made link I'll watch that.
None of that answers what I thought was a non-complex question about two different costs for recycling.

If you say that recycling plastic is just as efficient as glass and aluminum then I'd think that the sourcing of the proper aluminum purity would be a huge up front cost in both money and it's toll on the environment. However, I've never once heard anyone argue that we should never use metal (or glass) when plastics can do just as well because of the cost to the environment for sourcing the materials.

I'd never make that claim. Recycling is almost always beneficial because for most products, it takes far less energy (and generates less CO2) to recycle than to make virgin materials.

I'm not claiming that recycling of plastics is easier than recycling aluminum or glass. I'm simply objecting to the claims that it's horrendously difficult or bad for the environment. It's not.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #168 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd never make that claim. Recycling is almost always beneficial because for most products, it takes far less energy (and generates less CO2) to recycle than to make virgin materials.

I'm not claiming that recycling of plastics is easier than recycling aluminum or glass. I'm simply objecting to the claims that it's horrendously difficult or bad for the environment. It's not.

I think the ubiquitousness of plastics recycling is solid evidence that it has inherent benefits, but I'm still wondering which has a smaller longterm cost to the environment.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/17/13 at 8:36pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #169 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That is, of course nonsense. You're reacting from an uneducated, irrational fear of 'chemicals'.

There are plenty of harmful chemicals involved in the mining and manufacture of metals. Look at all the leach ponds out west.

And plastics don't give off 'noxious and dangerous' organic compounds simply from being melted.

Recycling of plastics is well established and quite environmentally friendly.
I have two degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry, do you?
I overly simplified my statements.
You mentioned metal, we are not talking about the manufacturing process here. Plastics do give off noxious and very dangerous compounds. I suggest you read up more before making a fool of yourself.
So in a fire what would you do? Hint, move away from artificially made materials, carpets, curtains and PLASTICs.
Sigh ... It's very difficult to discuss topics with those who have no background or qualifications.
Let me ask you this, how many different kinds of plastics are there? Thousands and thousands. So you know by fact that NONE give of toxic gases etc. when melted.
What happens to something that melts? Usually, the constituents break free from the overall structure due to bonds (chemical) being destroyed. You will be most interested to know the toxic properties of these compounds.
For example salt is Na+ and Cl-. Sodium is highly reactive, try dropping some in water, Chlorinevis a highly toxic gas.
Isn't chemistry wonderful and strange.
So if you are so bloody smart tell me why ice floats on water? Hint: You won't find it on Wilkpedia.
I know, as I use to be a Chemist.
When you give up and ask me and I will give you the answer then you will need to acknowledge that
I know what I'm asking about. Apologise and never question me again when it comes to Chemistry, is that a deal?
Edited by hfts - 3/18/13 at 5:08am
post #170 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post


Key Lime Pie is expected by this summer, at which point we'll see that neither this brand new phone nor any of it's predecessors will have the option to upgrade.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. Samsung has just released a Jelly Bean update for the SG2. There's also a huge development community for these phones, XDA houses at least 20 different Roms just for the SG3 alone. The now more then antiquated HTC HD not only has Android Roms but Windows and Ubuntu as well. These phones will have a very, very long shelf life. 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #171 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. Samsung has just released a Jelly Bean update for the SG2. There's also a huge develop
ment community for these phones, XDA houses at least 20 different Roms just for the SG3 alone. The now more then antiquated HTC HD not only has Android Roms but Windows and Ubuntu as well. These phones will have a very, very
 long shelf life.
 
Really? I don't think so based on past practices. But say it enough times and you will believe it eventually.
post #172 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you have a How It's Made link I'll watch that.

New show idea "How it's Recycled", thanks. I'll make sure to mention you in the closing credits in super duper fine print and for a nanosecond.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #173 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. Samsung has just released a Jelly Bean update for the SG2. There's also a huge develop
ment community for these phones, XDA houses at least 20 different Roms just for the SG3 alone. The now more then antiquated HTC HD not only has Android Roms but Windows and Ubuntu as well. These phones will have a very, very
 long shelf life.
 

True but how many people actually do that? A few hundred or at best a few thousand for the more popular devices. This whole update argument doesn't matter to the vast majority of people.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #174 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


True but how many people actually do that? A few hundred or at best a few thousand for the more popular devices. This whole update argument doesn't matter to the vast majority of people.

 

Exactly! This forum, like others, attract techies. Most people buying phones [probably better than 80%] have no idea what a ROM is, much less what rooting, jailbreaking, et-al even means. They buy a phone, use it until they get the option of a reduced upgrade, or free phone and get the next newest thing available at that time. The old phone gets recycled within the household, or tossed in a drawer. If it's an iPhone, a lot of folks keep them as an iPod, or sell them on Ebay/CL.

post #175 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How did Sammy have Apple on its knees? The 5 AND 4 outsold the GS3. In addition, Apple did have 70% of the mobile profits.

Yes, very true. What I mean by Samsung had Apple on it's knees is that if the S4 had useable and innovative features, the tides would of turned and I think the general public would have bought more into the Samsung gimmick. Let's say if the S4 had 3-D capabilities, laser keyboard or some other futuristic-off-of-the-wall features then people would consider Apple old news. The fact of the matter though, is that Samsung screwed themselves over with the S4. I see the S3 outselling the S4. The iPhone 5s and 6 will be the nail in the coffin for Samsung. Samsung is lost without copying Apple and the S4 proves it.
post #176 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

First pebbles in streams, now devices with souls. Okaaay....

so... when you sell a Galaxy 4 to someone to go buy a new Phone... are you selling your 'soul'?

post #177 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post


Yes, very true. What I mean by Samsung had Apple on it's knees is that if the S4 had useable and innovative features, the tides would of turned and I think the general public would have bought more into the Samsung gimmick. Let's say if the S4 had 3-D capabilities, laser keyboard or some other futuristic-off-of-the-wall features then people would consider Apple old news. The fact of the matter though, is that Samsung screwed themselves over with the S4. I see the S3 outselling the S4. The iPhone 5s and 6 will be the nail in the coffin for Samsung. Samsung is lost without copying Apple and the S4 proves it.

 

It's ecosystem.... it's not about innovative features... it's how it ties into 'your' life.   I see some promise in the Samsung vision... although it's just the same vision Apple has without Apple 'doing it all' (re: app store... Samsung is integrating everything into the samsung ecosystem... I'm surprised samsung washing machines weren't linke via the phone so you can watch what cycle your cloths are on).

 

3D, laser keyboards futuristic sh*t is not what people want... they don't want fantasy...  They want maps that draw a line to where you want to go, reminders that 'just work' ('you're near the store... you used your last egg this morning... wanna stop?... here's the rest of your shopping list....")

 

There are no nails at this point.. just the market hitting and missing on what people (and sub markets) want.  Samsung went after the drunk Blonde US housewive's and their husbands, and uber talented children markets last week.   Apple is trying to sell to 1-3Billion people across 6 continents...  slightly different marketing plan.

 

Both will iterate into a 'middle'   where Apple will focus on core function and developer ability (and also disabling developers from certain things) , and Samsung on specs for spec whores, and whizzy built in applications so the devices can sell on sizzle.  Samsung sells... Apple Delivers.

 

The clear things are

- Samsung is not selling Android.   Google/Samsung will split some profits over the next 5 years, but Samsung has to go it alone... Google has no credibility to Samsung.  

- Samsung is the new Nokia, with enough manufacturing and technical skillz to make a good product at a profit.

- Apple's 5 year head start has evaporated.  iOS7 needs to get a year or 2 back.  Samsung can't make OSes... but it can make promises.

- Apple is always comfortable being number 2 in sales.   It's being number 5 that makes them worry.  Apple needs to hold 20%+ of the eyeballs out there in a market to maintain currency.

- People will now be ready for 'integrating' more of their life into their mobile devices. Samsung will spend the money, Apple will need to have some level of perfection to make it happen on a large scale.

- Ecosystem is the game... it's not about specs, about device proficts.... it's about making a dime on every transaction instantiated on your phone, book, gameboy, tablet, TV, PC, Car, Bike, Shoe, purse, wallet, refrigerator, oven, hotel door, vending machine, tollbooth, etc etc.   Samsung realizes it, and is marketing the dream.   Apple needs to continue to define and deliver a plausible reality....

post #178 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

 It's also trivially easy to (technically) not be attacking a person but still make statements that make said person look like a complete fool, so if there is a way for smart people who are very familiar with the English language to essentially insult someone and get away with it, it's a bit biased to say that another person less capable with English perhaps should be censured for the occasional insult.  

 

Case in point, the "upturned" irony marker. Both TS and Philboogie tend to use that, and it's a way of saying "you're a moron" without using the words "per se".

 

I agree with you that debate rules and forums don't really fit together. I'll go further, forums where people are both active users and moderators (TS...) have a clear "judge and party" issue. now, who cares. TS also is fun to read, and life's not going to stop because of Ai...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #179 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


I have two degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry, do you?
I overly simplified my statements.
You mentioned metal, we are not talking about the manufacturing process here. Plastics do give off noxious and very dangerous compounds. I suggest you read up more before making a fool of yourself.
So in a fire what would you do? Hint, move away from artificially made materials, carpets, curtains and PLASTICs.
Sigh ... It's very difficult to discuss topics with those who have no background or qualifications.
Let me ask you this, how many different kinds of plastics are there? Thousands and thousands. So you know by fact that NONE give of toxic gases etc. when melted.
What happens to something that melts? Usually, the constituents break free from the overall structure due to bonds (chemical) being destroyed. You will be most interested to know the toxic properties of these compounds.
For example salt is Na+ and Cl-. Sodium is highly reactive, try dropping some in water, Chlorinevis a highly toxic gas.
Isn't chemistry wonderful and strange.
So if you are so bloody smart tell me why ice floats on water? Hint: You won't find it on Wilkpedia.
I know, as I use to be a Chemist.
When you give up and ask me and I will give you the answer then you will need to acknowledge that
I know what I'm asking about. Apologise and never question me again when it comes to Chemistry, is that a deal?

You know, most engineers on this planet, if not all, know that and more. Maybe a bit of humility might strengthen your argument? Just saying...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #180 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

Yes, very true. What I mean by Samsung had Apple on it's knees is that if the S4 had useable and innovative features, the tides would of turned and I think the general public would have bought more into the Samsung gimmick. Let's say if the S4 had 3-D capabilities, laser keyboard or some other futuristic-off-of-the-wall features then people would consider Apple old news. The fact of the matter though, is that Samsung screwed themselves over with the S4. I see the S3 outselling the S4. The iPhone 5s and 6 will be the nail in the coffin for Samsung. Samsung is lost without copying Apple and the S4 proves it.

3D? Wow. A headache in your pocket. Laser keyboard? Now you need to use your phone in a flat surface. Sammy follows. It doesn't lead.
post #181 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

You know, most engineers on this planet, if not all, know that and more. Maybe a bit of humility might strengthen your argument? Just saying...

...and for what it worth Jragosta knows much more about chemistry than htfs realizes. I suspect JR's Ph.D in Chemistry might trump whatever schooling the OP had. Perhaps he has it backwards on who would be due an apology.

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151011/apple-wins-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-nexus-smartphone/160#post_2137856


Edited by Gatorguy - 3/18/13 at 8:39am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #182 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Really? I don't think so based on past practices. But say it enough times and you will believe it eventually.

There is no reason for self delusion, I know because I wouldn't bother with a manufacturer who didn't upgrade their products. Samsung updates their phones especially the S series. Your a very negative person, did a Google employee wrong you in the past?

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/19341/android_40_upgrade_list
Edited by Relic - 3/18/13 at 9:05am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #183 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There is such a possibility of not visiting a site you don't like, rather than demanding a change.
Well, I think that's what we're saying. We will have to leave. Not that anybody really cares. We're not asking for a change. The site is changing. This is one of my top 2 reader sites, but maybe not any more because they seem to be changing for the worse in my opinion but maybe you all want that. I mean, I can see some droid and samscum stuff to keep up on things but its getting to be a bit much for the name of this site. I've been reading and reading about all kinds of shituff lately here but first time commenting about it since someone else seems to share my view. Maybe we're the only 2 people. Doubt it. Isn't this the one and only reader site that came on my Mac's mail & safari app with snow leopard? Can't remember, one came installed I thought it was this maybe it was apple hot news or something. Eh, whatever.
post #184 of 214
While the media hasn't completely given Samsung a pass, I like comparing their reaction to the G4 against the the release of the iP 4S. People were bitching like made that it looked just like an iP 4. Now the G4 looks a whole lot like the G3 and the press is commenting on the internal features.

Is there a double standard here, or what?
post #185 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

I'm ready to switch to some new MacRumors type website... Tired of all this Samsung promotional BS and Samsung trolls. Apple Insider has obviously been co-opted by our Korean enemies...

 

Seriously?  This is about two electronic companies... you do realize that Samsung is South Korean right, and they are one of our closest allies in Asia.  Some of you guys take this fanboy war way too seriously, its about electronics for crying out loud.  Ive been an iphone user since the 3GS, and my gf picked up an S3 over the holidays.. and I gotta admit it sometimes that it's not that bad.  Especially the bigger screen, we always end up watching youtube on hers since the screen is too small on my 4. 

post #186 of 214
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
…Samsung is South Korean right, and they are one of our closest allies in Asia.

 

Both the good and the bad of this mean nothing whatsoever.


Some of you guys take this fanboy war way too seriously, its about electronics for crying out loud.


Please read the name of the website you are on. Now do you see why some here complain about the amount of competitor stories?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #187 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post


Yes, very true. What I mean by Samsung had Apple on it's knees is that if the S4 had useable and innovative features, the tides would of turned and I think the general public would have bought more into the Samsung gimmick. Let's say if the S4 had 3-D capabilities, laser keyboard or some other futuristic-off-of-the-wall features then people would consider Apple old news. The fact of the matter though, is that Samsung screwed themselves over with the S4. I see the S3 outselling the S4. The iPhone 5s and 6 will be the nail in the coffin for Samsung. Samsung is lost without copying Apple and the S4 proves it.


Neither company is going anywhere... if you think the 5S and 6 will be the nail in the coffin for Samsung, you are truly mistaken and have no idea about market trends.  Why are so many people threatened buy a true Apple competitor?  Look back at history people, competition is always a good thing.  PC/MACs, PS3,XBOX, Toyota/Honda/GM, etc.. we get better products in the end!

post #188 of 214
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
Look back at history people, competition is always a good thing.  PC/MACs…

 

That's the worst possible example you could have used.

 

And it's Mac.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #189 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Both the good and the bad of this mean nothing whatsoever.


Please read the name of the website you are on. Now do you see why some here complain about the amount of competitor stories?

 

My points is, there are no enemies here.  Please leave politics out of this... we are consumers with free choice in a free market.  If I buy a Samsung product, it does not mean I'm supporting the "enemy".  Apple employs 100 chinese for every american...  hopefully they bring the money and jobs back to America. 

 

I love reading about how the competition is doing, maybe I'm in the minority but if apple fans like me understand what the competition has and is implementing, how is that a bad thing?  I want to see what Apple is missing or the advantages I am receiving. 
 

post #190 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That's the worst possible example you could have used.

 

And it's Mac.

 

Do you not understand my original point?  Or are you going to focus on my slight oversight?

post #191 of 214
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
If I buy a Samsung product, it does not mean I'm supporting the "enemy".

 

Just IP theft. Which is the enemy.

 

Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
Do you not understand my original point?  Or are you going to focus on my slight oversight?

 

Well, when that point mirrors the modern one, it's not an oversight.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #192 of 214
Glad to see marketers and technologists talking about the soul of products. It has been a missing element for far too long in the design shop. Here is a piece that asks this important question - "Are you obsessed about quality, do your products have soul": http://www.shivamber.com/are-you-obsessed-about-quality-do-your-products-have-soul/
post #193 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post

.  Apple employs 100 chinese for every american...  hopefully they bring the money and jobs back to America. 

Hmmm. Where did this tidbit come from?
post #194 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I have two degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry, do you?
I overly simplified my statements.
You mentioned metal, we are not talking about the manufacturing process here. Plastics do give off noxious and very dangerous compounds. I suggest you read up more before making a fool of yourself.
So in a fire what would you do? Hint, move away from artificially made materials, carpets, curtains and PLASTICs.
Sigh ... It's very difficult to discuss topics with those who have no background or qualifications.
Let me ask you this, how many different kinds of plastics are there? Thousands and thousands. So you know by fact that NONE give of toxic gases etc. when melted.
What happens to something that melts? Usually, the constituents break free from the overall structure due to bonds (chemical) being destroyed. You will be most interested to know the toxic properties of these compounds.
For example salt is Na+ and Cl-. Sodium is highly reactive, try dropping some in water, Chlorinevis a highly toxic gas.
Isn't chemistry wonderful and strange.
So if you are so bloody smart tell me why ice floats on water? Hint: You won't find it on Wilkpedia.
I know, as I use to be a Chemist.
When you give up and ask me and I will give you the answer then you will need to acknowledge that
I know what I'm asking about. Apologise and never question me again when it comes to Chemistry, is that a deal?

Baloney. Your entire post indicates a lack of knowledge of chemical sciences. Stuff like "What happens to something that melts? Usually, the constituents break free from the overall structure due to bonds (chemical) being destroyed." is proof that you're not a chemist. No chemist would use language like that. Not to mention, of course, that it's wrong. Melting does not break chemical bonds. Since you don't even understand a simple Freshman Chemistry principles, your opinion is totally worthless.

My PhD in Chemistry from an Ivy League School is well documented for anyone who cares.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #195 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Function should always dictate form and in the case (quite literally) of Samsung's Galaxy series of devices, the use of Polycarbonate allows for devices that are lightweight, impact resistant, durable and more efficient to manufacture.

As for the overall design/shape of the devices, the smooth edges and surface contours are obviously the result of extensive ergonomic research and development, as when compared to nearly all competing devices, they tend to be far more comfortable to hold/use for extended periods of time (such as when reading/watching videos).

Anyway... All the moaning/naysaying regarding the design of the Galaxy S4 is just more of the same rhetoric that greeted the Galaxy S3... a device that went on the sell in the 10's of millions, just as the Galaxy S4 will do.

 

I must agree with this comment from daharder.
 
I loved my two iPhone 3GS devices very much, with their only real weakness being that they didn't withstand the test of time particularly well. However for me the iPhone 4 was a step back. It was thin and looked nice, but is the most uncomfortable phone I've ever held, despite its small size. It was fragile and broke easily when dropped and a protective case would have defeated any stylistic gains. The design introduced issues to the antenna as well.
 
I think this is a good example of the Samsung comment relating to prioritising functional design. The iPhone 4 was clearly about trying to make something work around a set style, not about making the device functional then building up from there. This continues in the iPhone 5. Steve Jobs was very much against wide-screen in phones, he believed it wasn't ergonomical. However the thinking behind the iPhone 5 screen size is blatantly apparent today; 1. to compete with growing display sizes (paying no attention to style or design) 2. To mask the now dated style inherited from the iPhone 4, where the screen looked to be surrounded by copious amounts of glass-covered plastic, especially in the white edition, giving off a Nintendo DS kind of feeling (too much useless bulk around the edges).
 
So in credit to Samsung, despite a huge 5" 1080p display and a battery almost twice the size of that in the iPhone 5, the firm has produced a device that is only 0.3mm thicker and only 18g heavier, with little wasted space, that is more comfortable to hold than both its Apple and Android competition, that can be thrown about and exposed to sharp objects without the need of a protective case and, if the S3 is anything to go by, will age incredibly well.
 
So yes, the case is plastic, but it's light, durable, smooth and comfortable to hold and, something most people often don't mention, not uncomfortably cold when it has been sat on the kitchen top or in the car overnight or on a cold day. At the end of the day, carbon nanotubes and graphine are flexible and squidgy, but they're stronger than diamond, is someone now going to tell me these are inappropriately cheap materials for a high-end smartphone?

Edited by Scribe - 3/18/13 at 12:38pm
post #196 of 214
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
The iPhone 4 was clearly about trying to make something work around a set style, not about making the device functional then building up from there.

 

"Clearly", huh.


…a device that… …will age incredibly well.

 

*snort*


…not uncomfortably cold when it has been sat on the kitchen top or in the car overnight or on a cold day.

 

Oh brother.


At the end of the day, carbon nanotubes and graphite are flexible and squidgy, but they're stronger than diamond, is someone now going to tell me these are inappropriately cheap materials for a high-end smartphone?

 

When an Android manufacturer makes a device out of nanotubes, you let us know.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #197 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Clearly", huh.

 

*snort*

 

Oh brother.

 

When an Android manufacturer makes a device out of nanotubes, you let us know.

 

Lol, sounds like you are just merely an extension of apple's management.  This kinda of attitude is what leads to the downfall of even the most successful companies.  If you blindly ignore or even fail to notice the competition's advancements, you will be surpassed and blindsided whether you like it or not. You have to pay attention to what the competition is doing, not just merely dismiss them. I hope apple is listening to us... COMPETITION IS GOOD!

post #198 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post

I must agree with this comment from daharder.
 

You lost me.

I dropped my 4S twice before I put a case on it. Didn't break.
post #199 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Clearly", huh.

 

If you had followed the Apple-Samsung court case and reviewed the evidence that Apple ultimately produced about its design process (designs and timelines), then yes, it's clear that the external aspect of the design and much of the internals required to make it possible came before any other work.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

*snort*

 

Ignoring the fact that you took my comment out-of-context, I'm only going off release day models owned by myself and some friends, however before this, many of us owned either iPhone 3GS or 4S devices and these didn't age quite so gracefully. Of course, there's no guarantee either phone will outlast the other, however my personal experiences allow me to believe the average favours the GS3 currently.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Oh brother.

 

It's just another small detail in the ergonomics, but it adds up and eventually, you end up with a bad device.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

When an Android manufacturer makes a device out of nanotubes, you let us know.

 

Devices built using this technology have already been demonstrated by Nokia and other firms. There have been a small few chances for hands-on contact with these devices in the press. I guess what I'm saying is, it's not as far away as you may think, especially as it's a big enabler for devices with flexible or curved elements. Initially, expect it as a support for flexible devices and sensors, as production ramps-up, it'll become a cost-effective building material.

post #200 of 214
Originally Posted by knightryda12 View Post
If you blindly ignore or even fail to notice the competition's advancements, you will be surpassed and blindsided whether you like it or not.

 

What 'advancements'?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls'