or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated - Page 7

post #241 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

AppleInsider subjects all of its readers to Google Ad Services.

So ?  There are times when one cannot block all ads, I don't have nor need an ad blocker as ads NEVER register with me.

They are simply background noise.

I am the worse type of user in google's eyes.

Having said this, I have nothing to do with them, with regards to gmail (spambot), google+ (piss poor version of facebook, which I despise also), search, maps etc.

I do have alternatives, they are fine to me.

At the end of the day, me as an iOS user, generates NO money for google, not one single cent, and this makes me very happy.


Edited by hfts - 3/18/13 at 7:12pm
post #242 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

The start-up screen is horrible. I have ten pages of apps, and the stone age folder system does not even allow one to combine like ones into one folder (because of folder size limitations) Every file system known to man has hierarchical structure, EXCEPT for iOS. Searching for an app is a hit or miss thing. For example, searching for "Gmail" brings up first many contacts with a gmail.com email address, and about forty lines down the actual app. I could go on, but it is making me too depressed.

The same folder system that android blatantly copied after Apple.

So tell me, in which time line do you operate in, because one needs to know before discussing anything with you.


Edited by hfts - 3/18/13 at 7:13pm
post #243 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


So Android is beautiful because you're free to make your phone not look like Android? I'll buy that. /s

The above post is a classic case of how Android fans (and Windows fans before them) just don't get it. They think that UI is all about the appearance of the icons. If you can change the way it looks, that must be a good thing, right? You can simply choose one that works best.

In reality, UI is about how it WORKS, not how it looks. Changing an icon has absolutely no impact on the UI. A bad UI is still a bad UI now matter how many different faces you try to put on it.

Actually you are wrong or overally simplying things.

The position of fields on an input screen with associated text (labels) can be a hit and miss afair, to say it doesn't matter is overally simplying things.

Here is a good example, I saw an input/output screen that reflected the database elements in a rather poor way, the fields who simply "painted" in the order they appears in the table structure and all over the place. Obviously a lazy bastard of a programmer did this.

A programmer with an ounce of integrity would not have done this, he/she would group logical data into areas, thus making it easier to view the information, resulting in better input accuracy and less eye strain as the most obvious advantages.

You would be quite surprised how some Users are very thankful when you fix up an ugly screen, add contextual help, use borders and selectable lists etc.

All this on a mainframe application too.

Having written this, I love iOS, for its simplicity and minimalist style, its easy to use for 1 year olds to 100 year olds, and that is how an OS should be.

post #244 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Actually you are wrong or overally simplying things.
The position of fields on an input screen with associated text (labels) can be a hit and miss afair, to say it doesn't matter is overally simplying things.
Here is a good example, I saw an input/output screen that reflected the database elements in a rather poor way, the fields who simply "painted" in the order they appears in the table structure and all over the place. Obviously a lazy bastard of a programmer did this.
A programmer with an ounce of integrity would not have done this, he/she would group logical data into areas, thus making it easier to view the information, resulting in better input accuracy and less eye strain as the most obvious advantages.
You would be quite surprised how some Users are very thankful when you fix up an ugly screen, add contextual help, use borders and selectable lists etc.
All this on a mainframe application too.
Having written this, I love iOS, for its simplicity and minimalist style, its easy to use for 1 year olds to 100 year olds, and that is how an OS should be.

None of which explains your claim taht I'm wrong or overly simplified things.

Oh, wait. You're still mad because I proved you were lying about being a chemist.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #245 of 264

I read an article about 3 years ago about a US woman who is a UI designer (one of the top in her field), complaining about the extremely bad web sites.

Far too busy, cluttered, not logically ordered, full of ads, difficult to navigate and find things.

The reason for this is that may web sites are done by non-professionals, and I mean those that are not employed in IT.

Most of these are people who bought some web site design tools and now think they can design sites, how delusional.

 

It takes skill, knowledge and expertise in designing sites, screens etc.

One must consider many things. However in the end the major focus is on clarity, easy navigation, help when you need it, grouping of data elements, labelling etc.

To me iOS meets all these. That is why I am happy with it, nor do I think it needs change.

An OS is not an app, when will people learn this fact.

A grid of icons is fine by me, I can arrange these, hide some that I don't need, remove them, search for them and navigate around them fludity and at ease.

The iOS is simply a container for the apps, a smart container at that, but nether the less basically this.

 

Please Apple do not change it, it doesn't need any changes.

As I posted before, 1 year olds and 100 years olds can easily use it, no manual required.

 

What Apple does need to fix is their virrual keyboard though, and Maps will grow stronger and better with each passing day as Apple is clearly focused here.

post #246 of 264

Apple will come out with an updated UI when their GPU power is a bit more beefier.  Call this UI upgrade "From OSX with Love".

 

1) I can imagine the lock screen being like OSX with the dashboard.  Apple can allow certain apps to be set in settings to live there.  Many 1 to 4 apps at a time.  As you add more the screen real estate divides to display the apps (e.g. stock ticker, weather, sports scores, top news, etc).  Without unlocking the screen you can then magnify with your finger each tile as you can in OSX.

 

2) Next, an update to the folders.  Make them spring loaded.  I'm kind of tired of the fade in of the folder as a block of icons.  Keep that as an option to revert back to in settings.

 

3) Real multitasking but as an option for users to set per app.  Make a gesture to launch "Mission Control" to switch between the apps.  

 

5) Hopping icons when they want to get your attention or shaking.  Similar to dock icons.

 

6) A magnifying glass but not really.  Rather an X-Ray meets magnifying glass to peer through the app icons and show you a preview of what's updated in the app that it is pointing at the most. 

 

7) Updated camera features to match and rival Samsung's.  Ok this is not a UI refinement but a feature request just like at refresh of iWork would be nice too.

 

Thanks,

Tory

post #247 of 264

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:37am
post #248 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I hear this from the Microsoft drones and fandroids a lot. it has become a mainstain of their talking points. But specifically, they never mention what is outdated about it? what does not work?

While not perfect, iOS has a highly intuitive, easy to use interface. It is far better than the horrid Windows Phone OS with is busy flashing squares, text scrolling off the right side of the screen everywhere, primitive block colors, etc... Or androids, iOS copy, with slow motion scrolling, inconsistent experience, unintuitive navigation, etc...

Apple is not Microsoft who reskins their OS every year as a means to justify its outrageous upgrade cost, or Googles copying of everything Apple does.

 

 

I concur wholeheartedly.
 
We don't need animated application icons, skinable system interfaces and all that garrish nonsense.iOS definitely gets the basics right. Simple, clean visuals and exquisite typefaces.
 
Still I'd like Apple to give folders an overhaul though. The current implementation is awkward. Why limit the number of allowed apps to 12, when the folder icon is only capable of displaying 9? 20 apps would form neat columns of 4 or 5 which forms neat rows on both the iPhone and iPad in landscape.
 
I'd also like to see "smart folders", where the apps displayed are refreshed constantly based on predetermined search criteria. Predetermine characteristics might include "recently updated" or "board games" or "not opened in the last 4 weeks". I'm at 11 pages and use the search bar to launch apps frequently so this would be much appreciated.
 
Some of the system apps like stocks and weather are completely redundant for many users. Instead of forcing us to make one or more "not used" folders it would be great to be just be able to deactivate them using a simple toggle in system preferences (or delete and redownload from the App Store).
 
This is kind of related to delegating a third party app as the preferred app for a core device function - things like managing calendar, phone, email, maps, banking and weather. I would be dissapointed if this isn't in Apple's pipeline - they could use it as a developer carrot to leverage adoption of Siri API's. I'm sure Apple envisages future Siri as the cognitive bridge connecting silos of information secured in individual applications. But for this to occur Apple needs developers to present information in a consistent way.
post #249 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't feed the concern trolls. It just makes it worse.

This from the guy whose signature contains an all-time great troll slapdown from addabox. 1rolleyes.gif

I got to argue with you in this case, even though I generally agree about not feeding trolls. I don't really care if sept 11 is a concern troll, or a troll at all.

This "stale" and "dated" crap is the worst attack against Apple yet, and clearly it's getting a lot of play in both the mainstream and tech press, since journalists are herd animals with very little thought processes of their own. They trade in prefab memes, the stupider the better sometimes, because obnoxiousness sells.

What's so toxic about this "stale" meme is that it derives and is circulated by an emotional defect in the young meme monger. He is "bored" because his phone no longer entertains him. This kind of subjective, self-inflicted discontent can spread virally from geek to geek more easily, surely, than an "objective" meme like "Apple is too controlling."

So this one has to be fought with at every irruption because it's much more of an infection in the population of geeks, not just a ideological position. I'm not saying it's the best way of dealing with it, but trying to shame the perpetrator is the only way I've come up with so far.
post #250 of 264
I agree with him and almost everybody thinks that it's a little outdated.
I wish Apple would embrace sensitive bezels.
One swipe from the bottom and up would open the app-tray. Keep your finger on the screen after the swipe and move it left or right to change app icon (or preview) then lift it to switch app directly.
Swiping left or right on the bottom bezel switches apps left/right.
One swipe from the left bezel might open a notification tray (like on blackberry), much better than from the top.
That way all gestures might be achieve with one hand only.
In any case, with the possible revamp of iOS (if Ive has enough time to make it) Apple could insist on the fact that the phone is operable single-handedly like it used to. Hope they move the back button to the bottom too.

But people are mostly complaining about pure visual appearance so a simple redesign will appease most people. They only care about that after all.
Edited by ClemyNX - 3/19/13 at 1:33am
post #251 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

But people are mostly complaining about pure visual appearance so a simple redesign will appease most people. They only care about that after all.

That would be the most logical thing to do: appease the most.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #252 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

I'm glad you mentioned that! Google Play has thousands of icon sets to download. There are a ton of creative options out there. Even third party complete crooks stealing iOS designs. There are actually a lot of really great ones. That's the beauty of Android. As was my original point. You can't bash the look of Android because there are so many options out there that it is easy to create a beautiful looking home screen (Not including the one below per my personal preference)

 

I was lazy and picked the first result in Google images.

 

 

 

Is that seriously supposed to be a 'beautiful home screen'?

It's awful.

post #253 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

What Blackberry's CEO is actually saying is they want Apple to come out with something new and innovative to copy.

In regard to other smartphone UIs, the key with Apple is simplicity. After all, an easy to use smartphone was the primary goal of creating the iPhone in the first place.

Now others what to or have already added a lot of complexity to their copies of the iPhone. That's OK to do. Keep on trucking. Keep on making it every more complex until it looks like a Windows PC. After all, that is where they are heading.

The iPhone will continue to be easy enough for a 1 year-old or grandmother to use.

Here here!

Why do so many people view "easy" as inferior, as if the more intelligent and sophisticated prefer cumbersome interfaces?

It's the stupid and short sighted who cannot create an elegant, empowering simplicity.
post #254 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post


I actually don't need to prove anything to you, I know what professional qualifications I have.
You seem to be a frustrated person, perhaps lowly educated, jealous of others perhaps.
Your posts don't add to the discussion rather they are like a flame thrower.
Please calm down and respect others, those that know more than you. I respect others whom I can learn from, why not try it once in a while, it won't hurt.

 

And yet you are constantly asking other posters what professional qualifications they possess and then refuse to engage with and belittle them when they don't.  As soon as you get proved wrong you either get abusive or disappear from the thread (I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence in another thread for your claim that Google sells email addresses).

 

This whole post, especially your last sentence, is hypocrisy at its best.

 

Seriously, what is your issue?  You're constantly asking people why they post on this site, but I'm confused as to why you post here.  If I visited a forum that got me as angry as you appear to get on here, I'd stop visiting it as it really isn't good for your health.

 

Your credibility here is shot I'm afraid.

post #255 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

 

Is that seriously supposed to be a 'beautiful home screen'?

It's awful.

It wouldn't be my choice either, but maybe that's his point.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #256 of 264
If it is not broken, don't fix it! iPhone's interface is so easy to use, accessible and fast, if it is not broken, why upgrade the GUI? It is like a car, it got steering wheel, the design is seriously outdated, why not change it? There is no need because it is STILL working the way it is DESIGNED to be. Don't fix the design of steering wheel, it is still working, therefore don't fix it. iPhone can continue to upgrade its technology to provide better graphics, better application support, better video, and all that jazz, but leave GUI alone.

If it is not broken, don't fix it!
post #257 of 264

Anyone who thinks the current version of iOS is not any different than the first version, beyond the basic functionality, is either not familiar or is just trying to blow smoke up someones arse.

post #258 of 264

"BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated"

 

What a sad comment from the leader I thought was going to save RIM.  It shows desperation.

If only the RIM OS10 software could come close to what Apple's iOS has had for years!

 

I've now had a BB Playbook for 14 months, fairly good hardware, but very inferior software.

If only it could come slightly closer to my iPhone iOS5 software or my our iPad's software.

No browser bookmark manager, slowdowns and inconsistent touch response obviously due to slowness in  the software.  Very poor Apps, many I try don't work at all.  No good Stock App.

Doesn't connect to some WiFi hotspots.

 

Our iPhone and iPad do all the things I find poor in the RIM OS10 software.

 

I'll to give my frustrating limited RIM PB away and get a Mini iPad.

But not to a friend who will get annoyed at me for dumping my tech  trash.

post #259 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I've now had a BB Playbook for 14 months, fairly good hardware, but very inferior software.
If only it could come slightly closer to my iPhone iOS5 software or my our iPad's software.
No browser bookmark manager, slowdowns and inconsistent touch response obviously due to slowness in  the software.  Very poor Apps, many I try don't work at all.  No good Stock App.
Doesn't connect to some WiFi hotspots.

Thanks for this post; I read some review, albeit short, but you sum it up nicely. One thing that keeps coming back is the touch response; Apple devices are always accurate, 'speedy' and somehow ignore accidental touches. While typing that last one out I cannot fully comprehend what I mean by that; simply restating what others write, yet I concur. How's that for a magical device¿
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #260 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntensorPoet View Post

If it is not broken, don't fix it! iPhone's interface is so easy to use, accessible and fast, if it is not broken, why upgrade the GUI? It is like a car, it got steering wheel, the design is seriously outdated, why not change it? There is no need because it is STILL working the way it is DESIGNED to be. Don't fix the design of steering wheel, it is still working, therefore don't fix it. iPhone can continue to upgrade its technology to provide better graphics, better application support, better video, and all that jazz, but leave GUI alone.

If it is not broken, don't fix it!


It's not a question of fixing, but of updating.

My Nokia 3310 was great and perfect for me. That doesn't mean that it didn't need to be updated.

And the back button is currently broken on iPhone 5 being on the top left. Same for the notification tray on iPad which just looks awful.

post #261 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntensorPoet View Post

If it is not broken, don't fix it!

"And if it breaks when you bent, you better not put it in"
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #262 of 264

Ha ha! I have a BB10 and its almost giving me a migraine. Mr Heins, before you make such comments, read user feedback at the BB Supportforums:

 

- I still havent been able to transfer my calendar entries from my older Blackberry 9900 to the Z10. Tried every solution listed. How’s that for an advanced OS.

 

- The killed push-email, the ONLY great thing they had. Sad. (of course, I know many a fan will pounce and offer XWZ solutions, but the earlier BBs had fantastic email. This one does not even close. My god. The OS is advanced way beyond and declared email dead.

 

- Randomly, some of my emails show as read, even though I have never seen them. BB10 is so advanced, thinks email is dead.

 

- My device screen orientation lock isn’t working. Must be because the OS is so futuristic, it doesnt want to be disturbed by us prehistoric people - Sometimes, the contact app cannot be quit. I have to pull the battery. Wow. Futuristic.

 

- BB10 thinks iPhone OS is outdated because in an iPhone you can’t pull the battery to fix problems at least 3 times a day - sometimes is impossible to get out of the camera app without pulling the battery. Awesome. They must be doing this in the future.

 

- there is no way to know the total number of contacts in my contact book, something I could do in my 12 year old Symbian phone. In the future, I believe, numbers have no value.

 

- The BB10 OS is so advanced it doesn’t ship with a built in simple notes app. You have to use the built in heavy duty word processor app.

 

- the BB10 is so futuristic, the alarm clock doesn’t tell you how many hours before it goes off. Why bother with all the useless information. That was for 10 year old symbian devices.

 

- The BB10 Z10 is so advanced that it doesn’t care about SMTP Authentication. You must switch it off else randomly some mails never leave the phone. Of course, authentication is so outdated.

 

- The BB10 is so advanced that the top menu bar doesn’t show what’s the date and day of the week it is. Humans of the future have it embedded in their heads.

 

- the BB10 is so much into the future that apps don’t have the top menu bar, so while using an app if you need to see the time, battery or signal bevel, you have the leave the app. Wow! I feel like on a galactic mission already. -

 

- BB10 is so advanced that customers are not year ready for it. My BB shop guy told me customers want to return it for an iPhone

 

- The BB is such a progressive, advanced and global phone that if I bought it unlocked in London, I couldn’t access the updates in Thailand. Awesome. In the future we get more compartmentalised.

 

- And yes,its so futuristic, it doesn’t say which processor it’s using. The Snapdragon or the other one.

 

- The BB10 is so much into the future that it’s so damn difficult to figure out how to change the default colour and size of email text. The humans of the future cannot waste time on stupid details like these. After all, they need the time to watch their BBs boot from battery pulls. Sigh… I could go on…

post #263 of 264

why is bbry stock going up we said it was junk were we wrong i hope not.

post #264 of 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjinjin View Post

why is bbry stock going up we said it was junk were we wrong i hope not.

Check out Palm's stock in between the time they announced their WebOS and Palm Pre to a little after they released their product. It's the wish that BB can make a comeback, not anything that can validated by facts.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated