or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones

Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones

post #1 of 87
Most customers looking to trade in their current smartphone for a Galaxy S4 are people who already own a Samsung handset, suggesting the new smartphone won't win a significant number of converts from Apple's iPhone.

Gazelle

In an interview with CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" on Monday, Gazelle co-founder and CEO Israel Ganot revealed that phone trades are up about 180 percent since Samsung announced its new flagship Galaxy S4. Most of that increase has been driven by customers who already own Samsung phones, he said.

Trade-in growth takes a much different trajectory when Apple announces a new iPhone, Ganot also revealed, because the company launches the handset about a week and a half after it is announced. In contrast, the Galaxy S4 won't become available for consumers to have for weeks.

As a result, smartphone trade-ins at Gazelle grew 800 percent last year when Apple announced the iPhone 5, a much greater increase than the Galaxy S4 has prompted.

Gazelle

The details from Ganot support figures cited by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller last week. Apple's own research has found that four times as many iPhone users switch away from Android, when compared to Android users who have left the iPhone.

Readers can trade in their smartphones, as well as iPhones, Macbook and other gadgets, through Gazelle and other providers, including eBay, uSell and Amazon, all of which have partnered with AppleInsider. To find out how much your product is worth, you can jump over to the Trade-in tab of AppleInsider's price guides (snippet reproduced below) and simply request your own quote and send in your used device in a pre-paid box provided by the trade-in service of your choice.

iPads

Gazelle Amazon NextWorth eBay usell

Trade in your iPad

Gazelle Amazon NextWorth eBay USell

iPhones

Trade in your iPad

MacBooks

pg_macbook_tradein.png

post #2 of 87

Not surprising. High end smartphone buyers will largely stay with the OS they're comfortable with. The S4 will probably get most of its business from people who are upgrading from one of the older or lower end Android phones.

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #3 of 87
Better to trade in than to trade off. Trade off where? BB, or WinPhone. Can also trade up, to iPhone.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #4 of 87

I clicked on the first four Samsung phones that Gazelle buys, and the average price was about $15. lol.gif

post #5 of 87
Those people aren't trading in.

They're updating their phone's OS!!!

1wink.gif
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
post #6 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

1wink.gif

Bingo! :)

post #7 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I clicked on the first four Samsung phones that Gazelle buys, and the average price was about $15. lol.gif

What phones where those? Where they high end phones from a year ago or did you notice that you your looking at one of the cheapest phones and trying to be a troll. 

post #8 of 87

The s4 was already reviewed and is far from being the best android phone or having something of relevance.

Can the articles about it stop? I Would like something about Apple itself, or something worthy from their competitors (review). Rumors from digitimes, patent disputes, S4 BS, MS BS don't matter to the vast majority of readers.

If you want to talk about the S4, talk about it is target to lesser minds: Pentile screen, oversaturated, bad build quality, 13 MP camera just for the numbers instead of quality, stupid gimmicks.

post #9 of 87

Samsung does not care what phones people are trading in. Only that people are trading phones in and buying new Galaxy S4 phones. Get over. The S4 is an okay smartphone and will sell millions and earn Samsung billions. Whatever. Time to move on.

post #10 of 87

If they are trading in their phone now, what phone are these people going to use while they wait for the S4? 1confused.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #11 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

What phones where those? Where they high end phones from a year ago or did you notice that you your looking at one of the cheapest phones and trying to be a troll. 

You can go and see for yourself. I just clicked on the first four phones on the list. I can't be bothered to keep track of all the million different models of Samsung phones that are in existence. And Gazelle excludes many phones, they only purchase certain models.

I just made up that $15 figure, but I actually went back and calculated the average price of the first four phones that I saw and it came out to $27.50.lol.gif

post #12 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Most customers looking to trade in their current smartphone for a Galaxy S4 are people who already own a Samsung handset, suggesting the new smartphone won't win a significant number of converts from Apple's iPhone.

Which Wall Street will immediately interpret as bad news for Apple. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 87
I find their main page more interesting. They have many separate categories for Apple's products as it's clear they hold their value in ways that is unheard of for CE, but also note that all other cell phones produced by all vendors regardless of the OS are lumped as a single item. On top of that there is no category for non-iPad tablets, and Macs get two separate categories despite their small number of models for each and yet not a single non-Mac PCs category.

Quote:

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31*. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

Now lets compare: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) is $100. Not that much, is it? Oops, I forget to mention that's for a BROKEN iPhone. You move it to just GOOD, not FLAWLESS, and it's over $200. You have to go back to the iPhone 3G that was unveiled almost 5 years ago to get a trade-in price that is on-par with the Galaxy S III which was released only 10 months ago.

edit: * Reading comprehension error regarding water damage noted in a subsequent post.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/18/13 at 12:04pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #14 of 87

Would you expect large numbers of BMW owners to switch to Chevrolet?

Then, why would you expect large numbers of iPhone users to switch to Samsung?

post #15 of 87
Quote:

You can go and see for yourself. I just clicked on the first four phones on the list. I can't be bothered to keep track of all the million different models of Samsung phones that are in existence. And Gazelle excludes many phones, they only purchase certain models.

I just made up that $15 figure, but I actually went back and calculated the average price of the first four phones that I saw and it came out to $27.50.lol.gif

Funny. I did the same thing. First four phones on Gazelle were Galaxy Nexus ($115), Galaxy Note ($189), Galaxy Note II ($248) and Galaxy S ($59). All in the 'flawless condition' averaging $152.75.

post #16 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

As much as I can't stand Android, I believe that you made an error.

I clicked on Galaxy S III GT-i9300 factory unlocked, good condition, no water damage, and the price offered was $200.

post #17 of 87
Quote:

I find their main page more interesting. They have many separate categories for Apple's products as it's clear they hold their value in ways that is unheard of for CE, but also note that all other cell phones produced by all vendors regardless of the OS are lumped as a single item. On top of that there is no category for non-iPad tablets, and Macs get two separate categories despite their small number of models for each and yet not a single non-Mac PCs category.

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

Now lets compare: Apple iPhone 4S 16GB (AT&T or Unlocked) is $100. Not that much, is it? Oops, I forget to mention that's for a BROKEN iPhone. You move it to just GOOD, not FLAWLESS, and it's over $200. You have to go back to the iPhone 3G that was unveiled almost 5 years ago to get a trade-in price that is on-par with the Galaxy S III which was released only 10 months ago.

Edit: You may be mistaken.

Edited by NexusPhan - 3/18/13 at 12:10pm
post #18 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Funny. I did the same thing. First four phones on Gazelle were Galaxy Nexus ($115), Galaxy Note ($189), Galaxy Note II ($248) and Galaxy S ($59). All in the 'flawless condition' averaging $152.75.

When I click on Samsung, the list seems to be in alphabetical order. Maybe your Android device doesn't alphabetize or something.

post #19 of 87
Quote:

Why are you blatantly lying?

He's obviously not lying, as it would be pretty dumb to lie about something that can be easily checked and verified.

He obviously just made a mistake, it happens. I even corrected him.

post #20 of 87
Quote:

Why are you blatantly lying?

Mea culpa. I put No for water damage but I read it incorrectly as Yes is the affirmative that it is Free Of Water Damage, hence my previous comment as noted in the screenshot below. They don't ask you about water damage on the iPhones I checked.

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/18/13 at 12:12pm

post #21 of 87
Quote:

He's obviously not lying, as it would be pretty dumb to lie about something that can be easily checked and verified.

He obviously just made a mistake, it happens. I even corrected him.

Edit: Saw his post. Thanks.

post #22 of 87

It doesn't surprise me iPhones are not traded for Galaxy, however, no large screen premium Android phone is not traded for iPhone as well. If Apple would have larger version beside 4", Galaxy would be sold only into channel and to extreme Apple haters...

however...

post #23 of 87
Quote:

Mea culpa. I put No for water damage but I read it incorrectly as Yes is the affirmative that it is Free From Water Damage, hence my previous comment as noted in the screenshot below. They don't ask you about water damage on the iPhones I checked.

No problem. Just so many trolls on both sides these days I can't even tell whats real anymore. I'm stunned that the Galaxy S3 is worth more than the iPhone 4S. I'm glad you made me double check Gazelle.

post #24 of 87
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/156528/galaxy-s4-announcement-spurs-trade-ins-of-other-samsung-phones-not-iphones#post_2295944"]

Nah, I think he's simply making the point that Android types are a bunch of cheapos.

Don't take it personally. I am sure you are not.
post #25 of 87
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
If they are trading in their phone now, what phone are these people going to use while they wait for the S4? 1confused.gif

Android users don't actually use their devices. Usage share stats prove that. So trading it in now shouldn't have any impact on their daily lives. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #26 of 87
Quote:

No problem. Just so many trolls on both sides these days I can't even tell whats real anymore. I'm stunned that the Galaxy S3 is worth more than the iPhone 4S. I'm glad you made me double check Gazelle.

It's also interesting that they don't care about the capacity which range from 16, 32, and 64GB options.

post #27 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Great question. It probably shows that the opportunity cost of not having a phone is pretty low for these folks. They're likely gaining a few bucks on their trade-ins by getting in front of the crowds that will arrive in a few weeks' time.
post #28 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Android users don't actually use their devices. Usage share stats prove that. So trading it in now shouldn't have any impact on their daily lives. lol.gif

Don't be obtuse.

Just because people and use their iPhones A LOT (they are 700 dollars devices after all) that doesn't mean that android users don't use their devices.

Obviously they are not as good, but they don't have to be, after all...

post #29 of 87
Quote:

Unlocked, flawless Galaxy S III with no water damage is $31*. Move it to the Verizon model and you lose $6.

edit: * Reading comprehension error regarding water damage noted in a subsequent post.

Uh are you looking at the same Galaxy S III as me. 

Samsung-galaxy-s3

Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300

Change model

Condition: Flawless Change

Additional Specs Change

Your Gazelle Offer

$226

Offers are likely to decrease over time, so sell now to get a great price.  

post #30 of 87
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
Just because people and use their iPhones A LOT (they are 700 dollars devices after all) that doesn't mean that android users don't use their devices.

Explain the usage reports, then. lol.gif

The frick does price have to do with anything?

post #31 of 87

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:39am
post #32 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

1wink.gif

How else can they get the OS update?  Download it?  hahahahhahhahaha.

post #33 of 87
The Deal Channel in the UK are offering a refurbished iPhone 4 (not 4S) without a charger for £269
post #34 of 87

I only trade in my iPhone 4S for an iPhone with bigger dimensions. And that is in length and in width. 

post #35 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nah, I think he's simply making the point that Android types are a bunch of cheapos.

Don't take it personally. I am sure you are not.

If you go into Gazelle.com click on Samsung then click on At&t the first four phones listed are the Captivate glide (a galaxy S II variant with a keyboard) and the Captivate (Galaxy S Variant ) those are the only android phones on the list. The Glide is 67 dollars and the Captivate is 27 but hey it is 3 years old.

post #36 of 87
Quote:

Edit: You may be mistaken.

This ignores the fact that, as of today, the Galaxy S3 you cited is the current top of the line while the iPhone 4S is the previous generation.

I've been looking for a used 4S on eBay and Craigslist and it's absolutely amazing that a completely broken or water damaged phone is $200 or more. In like new condition, you're generally looking at a minimum of $300, usually more. Even iPhone 4 models are selling for a couple hundred dollars.

While there may be exceptions (especially when you choose to throw in a CURRENT model), most Android phones drop in value quickly.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 87

iPhone 5 still rules all.

$330 for unlocked/at&t 16 GB iPhone 5/flawless.

post #38 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This ignores the fact that, as of today, the Galaxy S3 you cited is the current top of the line while the iPhone 4S is the previous generation.

Yep, why would they be using the iPhone 4s as a reference?

Even the iPhone 5 is soon to be the previous gen, as soon as the new iPhone comes out sometime this year.

post #39 of 87
It goes to show you how good the resale value is on Apple products when an iPhone 4 sells for more than a Samsung galaxy s3 on Gazelle.
post #40 of 87
Quote:

If you go into Gazelle.com click on Samsung then click on At&t the first four phones listed are the Captivate glide (a galaxy S II variant with a keyboard) and the Captivate (Galaxy S Variant ) those are the only android phones on the list. The Glide is 67 dollars and the Captivate is 27 but hey it is 3 years old.

Who said anything about Android? This was about Samsung phones.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones