or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones

Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones - Page 3

post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's absolutely true in my case. I keep my previous phone for backup in case my main one gets lost or stolen. .

Pretty common.

When the 4S came out, AllThingsD and CIRP Research found that 49% of the upgrade buyers on AT&T sold/gave their old phone to someone else.

So just over half kept their older iPhone for themselves.

What? "Sold their old phone" and half "kept their iPhone"

That's a strange typo, if it is.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Would you expect large numbers of BMW owners to switch to Chevrolet?

Then, why would you expect large numbers of iPhone users to switch to Samsung?

I don't think Samsung is that stpd to go after iphone users.  Their target market are people who are thinking about getting a smart phone which is a much larger pool than iphone users.  People who don't have a car yet, which should they buy?  a BMW or a Chevrolet?

post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

I don't think Samsung is that stpd to go after iphone users.  Their target market are people who are thinking about getting a smart phone which is a much larger pool than iphone users.  People who don't have a car yet, which should they buy?  a BMW or a Chevrolet?

You would be surprised how many people with iPhones move over to galaxy phones. (Many of them move for something new in terms of UI) My GF did. 

And I would compare Apple to Samsung as Chevrolet vs. Hundai. BMW would be Vertu. Who has Siri locked down with the personal assistant thing. 

post #84 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

You would be surprised how many people with iPhones move over to galaxy phones. (Many of them move for something new in terms of UI) My GF did. 

You having an unverifiable, anecdotal experience isn't surprising but insinuating that this is so common that it's surprising is something else entirely. Where is your evidence? Where is your proof to back up your hypothesis that people enjoy an alien UI and UX that requires them to buy all new apps? Everything I've read goes against your claims.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You having an unverifiable, anecdotal experience isn't surprising but insinuating that this is so common that it's surprising is something else entirely. Where is your evidence? Where is your proof to back up your hypothesis that people enjoy an alien UI and UX that requires them to buy all new apps? Everything I've read goes against your claims.

My experience has been quite odd. Where I used to see mostly iPhones being used I now a markedly increase in people using the SGS 3, but every time I walk into my local VZW store (there's a HOT half Latina half Asian girl that works there) I see someone switching from a Android phone to the iPhone. It's always a phone that couldn't be updated past Gingerbread.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #86 of 87
Don't follow the hot girl thingy, but 'carry on'
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

My experience has been quite odd. Where I used to see mostly iPhones being used I now a markedly increase in people using the SGS 3, but every time I walk into my local VZW store (there's a HOT half Latina half Asian girl that works there) I see someone switching from a Android phone to the iPhone. It's always a phone that couldn't be updated past Gingerbread.

Anecdotally, I know several people that switched from the iPhone to the S III, specifically. All signs say it's a popular phone and it's probably the most popular non-iPhone smartphone on the market. If not, it's certainly the top selling high-end non-iPhone smartphone on the market.

These people that made the switch have all used a couple generations of the iPhone but none are Mac users. In fact, I was quite surprised they even purchased an iPhone at all simply because they tend togo against everything Apple stands for. They think that the Mac is overpriced when you can build your own for much less (talking about a tower, of course).

They play video games on their computer and at least one I know is still using WinXP. The talk about liking the ability to control their OS but it doesn't seem to register that OS X is UNIX 03 certified. They all jailbroke their iPhones so they could make it do what they wanted — nothing wrong with that — but none of them are what I'd call tech-savvy people. They know there way around a computer and work in the computer industry but it's really just an effect of them liking video games, not for any real love or aptitude for the industry itself.

As I stated, this is purely anecdotal and in no way am I inferring that anyone who uses Android is a technically ignorant video game player. I also know a couple people that went from WinMo or Symbian right to Android that use Linux and code for a living, but that's for another discussion.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones