or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple acknowledges evad3r jailbreakers found 4 of 6 exploits fixed with iOS 6.1.3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple acknowledges evad3r jailbreakers found 4 of 6 exploits fixed with iOS 6.1.3

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Taking a closer look at the security release notes for Apple's latest iOS 6.1.3 update, it was discovered that the tech giant gave credit to the hackers behind the popular evasi0n jailbreak for finding four of six patched exploits.

Evasi0n


As noted by The Next Web, the security note that came along with Tuesday's iOS 6.1.3 release credited evad3rs with unearthing four of the six flaws fixed by update.

Evad3rs leveraged some of the exploits to create the evasi0n jailbreak, which allowed iPhone 5 and iPad mini owners to "liberate" their devices. The untethered app was downloaded seven million times in its first four days of availability, leveraging exploits within iOS to grant users greater control over system-level functions usually reserved for first-party apps.

The newest iOS 6.1.3 reportedly breaks evasi0n, as reported in February when a beta version of the update was found to patch the exploits used for the jailbreak, but co-creator David Wang said there may be enough remaining flaws in the operating system to create an entirely new liberation tool.

The exploits discovered by evad3rs:
CVE-2013-0977

dyld

Impact: A local user may be able to execute unsigned code
Description: A state management issue existed in the handling of
Mach-O executable files with overlapping segments. This issue was
addressed by refusing to load an executable with overlapping
segments.

CVE-2013-0978

Kernel

Impact: A local user may be able to determine the address of
structures in the kernel
Description: An information disclosure issue existed in the ARM
prefetch abort handler. This issue was addressed by panicking if the
prefetch abort handler is not being called from an abort context.

CVE-2013-0979

Lockdown

Impact: A local user may be able to change permissions on arbitrary
files
Description: When restoring from backup, lockdownd changed
permissions on certain files even if the path to the file included a
symbolic link. This issue was addressed by not changing permissions
on any file with a symlink in its path.

CVE-2013-0981

USB

Impact: A local user may be able to execute arbitrary code in the
kernel

Description: The IOUSBDeviceFamily driver used pipe object pointers
that came from userspace. This issue was addressed by performing
additional validation of pipe object pointers.
A security flaw that allowed for the bypassing of an iPhone's lock screen, which turned out to be a logic issue in handling emergency calls, was found by Christopher Heffley of theMedium.ca, while a WebKit bug was discovered by Nils and Jon from MWR Labs working with HP TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative.
post #2 of 37
How dare Apple close holes in their code¡

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I wonder if Apple credited evad3rs as a slap to their face after dissecting the EvasiOn jailbreak. I can't see evad3rs being all proud of Apple giving them credit for the fix.

 

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Apple's OS was exploited; why would evad3rs feel that they got slapped in the face? evad3rs dissected iOS 6.x with no help from Apple, while Apple had all the help in the world in the form of the jailbreak and a play-by-play to see how the jailbreak was accomplished.

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/02/05/inside-evasi0n-the-most-elaborate-jailbreak-to-ever-hack-your-iphone/

post #4 of 37

Seems like OS X could potentially be susceptible to a couple of these exploits as well (the dyld and USB ones).

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #5 of 37

Not if the tweets from Musclenerd are anything to go by. 

 

https://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/314073229268496384

 

Apple is still signing 6.1.2 for now but I'd save blobs asap.

post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I wonder if Apple credited evad3rs as a slap to their face after dissecting the EvasiOn jailbreak. I can't see evad3rs being all proud of Apple giving them credit for the fix.

That's a good question. I would imagine it depending on the individual hacker.

I am personally happy to see Apple finally give these frontiersmen some credit for finding flaws in their code. There was a time they not only ignored them but also ignored the holes they found.

Perhaps it's a new double-edged strategy to prevent jailbreaking from being too popular as they surely won't win to keep it from being illegal. If they make it widely known they will close any holes that are used for the jailbreaking community those willing to give out their exploits freely may dwindle and what is given out will just make iOS stronger in the long run.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

 

Apple giving them credit for the fix I think is a slap to the face. That would be like me stealing your girlfriend and giving you the credit for introducing us at our wedding.

As Chris posted above, I don't think they see it that way.

 

Bottom line, Apple is the only one that really get "punked" in all of this. The hackers do this stuff in their free time knowing full well that their software will eventually be "shut down"; and they provide their services for free. They will just move on to the next exploit, as they always do. 

post #8 of 37
AT&T, that's the way to behave. Take notes please.

41 years of prison --> wrong behavior.
Giving credits and fixing the flaw --> correct behavior.


Should be simple enough to remember.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

As Chris posted above, I don't think they see it that way.

 

Bottom line, Apple is the only one that really get "punked" in all of this. The hackers do this stuff in their free time knowing full well that their software will eventually be "shut down"; and they provide their services for free. They will just move on to the next exploit, as they always do. 


Apple gets free security analyses, which means that these holes that would anyway have been found by black hats (think Mafia, Russia, Chinese, secret services etc) are one risk less for everyone...

 

Bottom line, Apple has class, style and flair.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscaskey View Post

Not if the tweets from Musclenerd are anything to go by. 

 

https://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/314073229268496384

 

Apple is still signing 6.1.2 for now but I'd save blobs asap.

 

Done for all my devices. The only reason I jailbreak is for SBSettings, because I love having screen brightness, Airplane mode, Wifi and BT toggle among other things just a simple swipe away. If Apple would just copy that functionality instead of making me go through layers of settings menus, I'd be one happy user.

post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Apple giving them credit for the fix I think is a slap to the face. That would be like me stealing your girlfriend and giving you the credit for introducing us at our wedding.

No it would be more like you kidnapping my underage daughter and texting me about it, and I then came and took her away, but didn't report you to the police since she was unharmed.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

 

Apple giving them credit for the fix I think is a slap to the face. That would be like me stealing your girlfriend and giving you the credit for introducing us at our wedding.

 

This is just childish nonsense.  "Credit" can never be a slap in the face.  It's credit.  It's an accolade, a praising, a giving of due honour for a job well done.  Only a immature fool would take it as a negative.  

 

Your example is a bit off as well.  If someone is getting married to your "girlfriend," that's not an insult either and she wasn't "stolen" from you. In the first case, if she liked you to the same degree it would be you getting married, and in the second case a girlfriend isn't "property" anyway.  1rolleyes.gif

post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is just childish nonsense.  "Credit" can never be a slap in the face.  It's credit.  It's an accolade, a praising, a giving of due honour for a job well done.  Only a immature fool would take it as a negative.

There is an issue in the jailbreak community though where they have a limited number of exploits. If they run out, there's no more jailbreak. Sometimes jailbreak teams put each other down for releasing exploits too early as they are fixed too soon.

I don't think there's any reason to assume Apple is issuing a slap in the face on purpose but at the same time, I don't think the jailbreak teams find these exploits to help Apple's security so the credit is given contrary to why they find them, which I'd guess is why some people assume it's a slap in the face.

It's like they are saying, 'thanks to evad3rs for showing us all the exploits you were using to jailbreak our devices, now we can stop you doing it'.

It's all just a cat and mouse game anyway, the people who are into doing it know how to downgrade their devices. It's better for users that serious exploits are patched.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

AT&T, that's the way to behave. Take notes please.

41 years of prison --> wrong behavior.
Giving credits and fixing the flaw --> correct behavior.


Should be simple enough to remember.

 

And what do the 114k folks that had their emails potentially sold to spammers get? He didn't need to harvest that many email addresses to make his point and he certainly didn't have to threaten to sell them etc

post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

 

Ok fine, if my example makes you think I believe girlfriends are "property" (/roll of eyes), try this. Apple's basketball team had their playbook stolen from them by the Evad3rs basketball team. The Evad3rs studied the playbook and came up with set plays to counter Apples plays. Apple changes their playbook before the game and beats the Evad3rs. After the win, the Apple coach gives credit to Evad3rs by letting Apple know to change their playbook. I don't believe the Evad3rs submitted a bug report to Apple telling them about these exploits. Apple giving them credit for the fix is a slap to their face. It's not an accolade in this case because it is defeating the Evad3rs purpose. Take it easy on the name calling "Childish nonsense", "Only a immature fool would take it as a negative", you made me cry.

 

But you act as if Apple has somehow "won". The game is not over... this cycle repeats itself again and again and again. Apple releases new version of iOS, hackers crack it, Apple releases fix; rinse and repeat. Only this is the first time that the jailbreakers have ever been acknowledged by Apple for their hard work.

 

I'd say that's pretty "cool" in their book.

post #16 of 37
Actually, this appears to be a very clever play by Apple.

Let's face it. A lot of these groups partly do what they do because they like acknowledgement and recognition, otherwise why not release anonymously?

Now these jailbreaking groups know that, if they find an exploit, they're going to get more recognition than they ever dreamed of.

There is a very strong possibility that Apple just recruited a shitload of very skilled exploit finders, who will work for free to discover exploits, in the hope that their work becomes "published" in the next iOS update.

Pretty God-damn clever.
Edited by GTR - 3/19/13 at 4:59pm
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Ok fine, if my example makes you think I believe girlfriends are "property" (/roll of eyes), try this. Apple's basketball team had their playbook stolen from them by the Evad3rs basketball team. The Evad3rs studied the playbook and came up with set plays to counter Apples plays. Apple changes their playbook before the game and beats the Evad3rs. After the win, the Apple coach gives credit to Evad3rs by letting Apple know to change their playbook. I don't believe the Evad3rs submitted a bug report to Apple telling them about these exploits. Apple giving them credit for the fix is a slap to their face. It's not an accolade in this case because it is defeating the Evad3rs purpose. Take it easy on the name calling "Childish nonsense", "Only a immature fool would take it as a negative", you made me cry.

I don't think that's an accurate analogy at all.

It's more like, the opposing team studied Apple's plays (not their playbook as they don't have access to source code) and then constructed ways around Apple's plays. Apple has countered by changing up its game so those flawed plays can no longer be exploited.

They don't have to issue a bug fix to Apple for Apple to know about it. They don't even need the source code of the jailbreak to see what its exploiting on the iDevice since it will be apparent with what the app is sending to the device.

I really don't see why you think this is a slap in the face. It's like saying Happy Birthday to someone and having get offended because they think it means they look a year older.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

A little more accurate but really saying the same thing.

I see a world of difference between studying plays that an opponent freely uses and stealing the information that contains all their plays.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Only this is the first time that the jailbreakers have ever been acknowledged by Apple for their hard work.

There was a link referenced earlier that showed they've acknowledged other jailbreakers before:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2012/Sep/msg00003.html

iOS Jailbreak Dream Team. Others include people from Chrome and Blackberry. Credit seems to be given out regardless of who it's from.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


There was a link referenced earlier that showed they've acknowledged other jailbreakers before:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/security-announce/2012/Sep/msg00003.html

iOS Jailbreak Dream Team. Others include people from Chrome and Blackberry. Credit seems to be given out regardless of who it's from.

 

Well then that refutes the point made earlier that somehow being acknowledged is a "slap to the face". If that were the case, they wouldn't still be going at it.

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Well then that refutes the point made earlier that somehow being acknowledged is a "slap to the face". If that were the case, they wouldn't still be going at it.

Like I said before, it doesn't have to be an intentional slap in the face (a backhander perhaps) because the jailbreakers won't be submitting these exploits through the normal submission process. They aren't finding the exploits in order to get credit from Apple but rather to get credit from the jailbreak community for circumventing Apple's restrictions and those are contradictory forms of credit. The jailbreak community would thank them for allowing them to jailbreak, Apple is thanking them for helping them to stop the possibility of jailbreaking.

The fact that Apple invited MuscleNerd to their campus is enough evidence that they are not malicious about this and I'm sure they genuinely appreciate being able to patch undiscovered exploits but the jailbreak community won't be happy that they are patched. The team behind it might like the credit Apple gives them but I doubt it as it's for the wrong reasons.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The point I was trying to make is I don't think Evad3rs were looking for recognition from Apple when they created the jailbreak. Recognition from the jailbreaking community yes, but I don't think from Apple.

 

You don't think the jailbreaking community's going to give them recognition when the name of the group turns up on the screen of the hundreds of millions iOS devices at their next software update?

 

What hacker could resist that kind of social media!

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
Reply
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Like I said before, it doesn't have to be an intentional slap in the face (a backhander perhaps) because the jailbreakers won't be submitting these exploits through the normal submission process. They aren't finding the exploits in order to get credit from Apple but rather to get credit from the jailbreak community for circumventing Apple's restrictions and those are contradictory forms of credit. The jailbreak community would thank them for allowing them to jailbreak, Apple is thanking them for helping them to stop the possibility of jailbreaking.

The fact that Apple invited MuscleNerd to their campus is enough evidence that they are not malicious about this and I'm sure they genuinely appreciate being able to patch undiscovered exploits but the jailbreak community won't be happy that they are patched. The team behind it might like the credit Apple gives them but I doubt it as it's for the wrong reasons.

 

I still think that you (and others) are looking at this as a black and white issue, when it's really a grey issue.  There will always be people that will circumvent iOS software -- whether Apple acknowledges them or not won't change that fact.

 

iOS is not a stationary target, it's constantly moving/evolving, so there is always an opportunity to find a backdoor to enable more jailbreaks. Apple can patch the hell out of iOS, but where there's a will, there's a way. And there will always be a pimple-nosed freak in his mom's basement pegging away on his keyboard looking for a way to get through as long as people want apps like SBSettings or MyWi or DashboardX. If you just look at the tremendous response/downloads of the iOS 6.x jailbreak, you'd see that acknowledgements from Apple aren't going to stop the jailbreaking community from doing their job -- people want it!!

post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

There will always be people that will circumvent iOS software -- whether Apple acknowledges them or not won't change that fact.

Sure but it's just that Apple's accolade might not be as meaningful to the people discovering the exploits that's all. I don't think the suggestion is that Apple is poking fun at them because they've outdone them, just that the team would most likely prefer that Apple didn't patch the exploit.
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Sure but it's just that Apple's accolade might not be as meaningful to the people discovering the exploits that's all. I don't think the suggestion is that Apple is poking fun at them because they've outdone them, just that the team would most likely prefer that Apple didn't patch the exploit.

But that's the thing. Apple always patches the exploits. All of the people who develop jailbreak software know this. It's not a matter of if, it's when will Apple patch the exploits. 

 

The moment a new jailbreak goes live, these guys know that they have only a few weeks or so before Apple closes the door. However, for the jailbreakers (people like me), we don't care and will stay on the latest version of iOS for our device that supports an untethered jailbreak. 

 

So in going to stick with the iOS 6.1.2 jailbreak on my iPhone 5 until iOS 7 is jailbroken. 

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So in going to stick with the iOS 6.1.2 jailbreak on my iPhone 5 until iOS 7 is jailbroken. 

Why wouldn't you update to other untethered, JBen versions of iOS 6.x before iOS 7 appears?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

 

Done for all my devices. The only reason I jailbreak is for SBSettings, because I love having screen brightness, Airplane mode, Wifi and BT toggle among other things just a simple swipe away. If Apple would just copy that functionality instead of making me go through layers of settings menus, I'd be one happy user.

 

So update, even if you have saved blobs there is no going back to 6.1.2. Apple is playing serious hard mode here, this update is 99% out to kill jail breakers who think they've saved blobs and thought they were safe (i.e. me).

 

http://www.evad3rs.net/2013/03/ios-613-jailbreak-or-ios-7-jailbreak.html


Edited by chriscaskey - 3/19/13 at 7:16pm
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Why wouldn't you update to other untethered, JBen versions of iOS 6.x before iOS 7 appears?

Given how long it took the iOS 6.x jailbreak to see the light of day, I'm not entirely confident that a jailbreak for 6.1.3 will arrive -- that and the fact that 6.1.3 doesn't offer any feature benefits over 6.1.2 and only really fixes a real obscure lockscreen exploit. 

 

Seems like a lot of wasted energy for little payoff for hackers. If by some chance they do release a 6.1.3 jailbreak, of course I'll update. 

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Given how long it took the iOS 6.x jailbreak to see the light of day, I'm not entirely confident that a jailbreak for 6.1.3 will arrive -- that and the fact that 6.1.3 doesn't offer any feature benefits over 6.1.2 and only really fixes a real obscure lockscreen exploit. 

Seems like a lot of wasted energy for little payoff for hackers. If by some chance they do release a 6.1.3 jailbreak, of course I'll update. 

I see.

Even if we see a 6.2.x at some point before 7.x I think it would have to be something major for evad3r to reveal another chink in the iOS armor.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I see.

Even if we see a 6.2.x at some point before 7.x I think it would have to be something major for evad3r to reveal another chink in the iOS armor.

Yup, I bet they're saving everything they've found to unleash on iOS 7. 

post #31 of 37
Apple's documentation of the flaw and correction are just facts. Dry and cold. Why read anything more into it?
post #32 of 37
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post
Apple giving them credit for the fix I think is a slap to the face.

 

Yes, it's a slap in the face of the hackers. 

 

Think about it. Apple's publicly saying, "Thanks for telling the public exactly what your exploits were so we could fix them immediately in the next version of our OS without having to reverse engineer anything!"

 

If anything, Apple is making them into an inside joke. Sort of an "oh, by the way, thanks for finding these holes, guys; they're gone now".

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

 

And what do the 114k folks that had their emails potentially sold to spammers get? He didn't need to harvest that many email addresses to make his point and he certainly didn't have to threaten to sell them etc

If AT&T did not care to react to his warning, yes he had to. That's how security works, sadly, due to lazy big corporations.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If anything, Apple is making them into an inside joke. Sort of an "oh, by the way, thanks for finding these holes, guys; they're gone now".

 

You say this as if the hackers didn't already know that Apple would patch it up. Do you think that the next version of iOS will somehow be hackproof?

post #35 of 37
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
You say this as if the hackers didn't already know that Apple would patch it up.

 

I say that as though they'd realize that and be a touch more discreet with their expounding of such, perhaps leaving holes unplugged longer.


 Do you think that the next version of iOS will somehow be hackproof?


Heavens no, but they certainly do have a time of it right now, don't they… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #36 of 37
Quote:
I wonder if Apple credited evad3rs as a slap to their face after dissecting the EvasiOn jailbreak. I can't see evad3rs being all proud of Apple giving them credit for the fix.

I can tell you for certain they ARE proud of this.

iOS 6.1.3 was allegedly to fix the Lockscreen bug, but it does not fix that. This makes the third time Apple released an update "to address an issue" but in reality all they were doing was trying to break the JB.

Just look at the score, from December to March, iOS 6 has had Seven Iterations. 6 of these have been beaten, one of them not, and the choice to not JB the latest one does not mean that they cannot right now beat it.

I've never seen Microsoft release a service pack to prevent people from Modifying their OS, and that's what this is - If you want to score Apple vs the Jailbreakers, the Jailbreakers are 6 to Apple 0, as they have beaten every iOS since the original. But that is not what this is, it's not a competition. It's the desire to make the things we buy, that we spend our money on, that we could have used to, er, eat with, do the things we want them to do. Since non-JB iOS can't do certain things, we can MAKE it do those things - If we Jailbreak.

Like open any app with Siri, Like use Siri to compose and send a text message with Voice Only and hands Free. By opening Siri by just saying "Siri" or "Computer"

Apple is a huge Behemoth, and instead of giving us the innovations that the Jailbreakers and cYdia App Devs give us - What do they do? They use ALL of their resources to what... CLOSE the JAILBREAK.

It would be great if they used those same resources next time to give us features that right now can only be obtained via cYdia.

And cYdia has the right idea - You have to BUY the best of these mods. Apple can do that too, why can't Apple make us a Theming app, that we can buy as an "Extra Feature" - Even Windows 8 has a couple of "extra features" you can buy.

I Propose this to Apple, stop competing with the Jailbreakers, use the same resources to give us an iOS that is BETTER than what we can get by Modding, and offer us features that we can buy or not buy. I don't mean APPS, I mean Features, things that will change the filesystem. Because this is the big drawback with Store Apps - if they mod the Filesystem in ANY way, Apple bans them.
Edited by XweAponX - 4/4/13 at 9:44am
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Perhaps it's a new double-edged strategy to prevent jailbreaking from being too popular as they surely won't win to keep it from being illegal. If they make it widely known they will close any holes that are used for the jailbreaking community those willing to give out their exploits freely may dwindle and what is given out will just make iOS stronger in the long run.

- If Apple in the future uses all of their resources to simply block every Jailbreak as it happens, where does that leave innovation? Just look at what's been going on since December - From iOS 6 to 6.1, there was almost of month of peace, no new updates. the moment 6.1 happened and it was Jailbroken? BAM - BAM BAM BAM - Four new upgrades in RAPID succession. Nobody can tell me they were trying to fix "The Exchange Bug" - They could have done that from 6.0 through 6.1.

 

I think Apple should go back to ignoring the Jailbreaks and so called "exploits" - Things that only the most advanced hack3rs can do in the first place - and get back to - Still trying to make the iOS as SECURE as possible, but also give us a much better iOS, one that we can look at and say, "Well, this has got most of what I want in it, no NEED to Jailbreak"

 

As they did from iOS 2 through 4 and 5. In iOS 5 Siri came out, it was a kind of novelty back then, but made slightly better in iOS 6, but the cYdia Devs have made it into a fully useful Hands Free tool, and I'm sure that the hardware even on my iPhone 4S can be made to make the Assistant much more than a novelty, it could be made into something great. If Apple could Jailbreak a few of their own devices, and take a hard look at the possibilities, why not offer them to us without the need to Jailbreak? The iPhone is simply a computer and all computers can be made useful but not by locking up the OS of the computer so it cannot be modded. And the keeping of that lockout has been where all of Apple's huge Development Resources are tied up at the moment.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple acknowledges evad3r jailbreakers found 4 of 6 exploits fixed with iOS 6.1.3