or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon denies rumor of forthcoming $99 Kindle Fire HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon denies rumor of forthcoming $99 Kindle Fire HD

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
A new report claims Amazon may be looking to attack the very low end of the tablet market with a $99 version of its Kindle Fire tablet, though a spokesperson for the online retailer has characterized the rumor as inaccurate.

kindlefire


By the end of this year, TechCrunch reported Wednesday, Amazon will ship another 7-inch Kindle Fire tablet, likely with a 1280x800 display to match the current Kindle Fire HD, but priced to beat out much of the low-end Android tablet market. Citing sources close to the company, TechCrunch says the low-cost Kindle Fire HD will feature a processor from Texas Instruments, as does the current 7-inch Kindle Fire HD.

The report also said that the current 7-inch Kindle Fire is Amazon's best selling tablet, not the 8.9-inch model Amazon has been comparing to Apple's industry-leading iPad. Amazon, which doesn't release sales figures for its tablets, recently dropped the prices on its 8.9-inch devices, and the line now starts at $269.

Following the publication of TechCrunch's report, an Amazon spokesperson told Business Insider that the report was inaccurate.

"It's not happening," BI quotes the Amazon rep as saying, "we are already at the lowest price points possible for that hardware."

TechCrunch has stood by its initial report, noting that the Amazon rep said the company was at the lowest prices possible for "that hardware," possibly leaving the company open to releasing different hardware at a $99 price point.

Amazon's Kindle Fire devices run a forked version of Google's Android operating system, with assorted services pointing back to Amazon instead of to Google. The company's profit margins on the devices are thought to be slim-to-nonexistent, with Amazon's aim being to make money on services attached to the tablets, such as video streaming and e-book sales. The most Amazon executives will say regarding Kindle Fire sales is that the tablets supposedly account for 22 percent of the U.S. tablet market.

Recent web traffic figures have Amazon's Kindle Fire devices accounting for roughly eight percent of traffic among tablets, with Apple's iPad still the overwhelming leader at 81 percent share. The discrepancy between Amazon's claims and web traffic figures may be explained, though, by differing usage patterns among Kindle Fire tablet owners.
post #2 of 33
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"It's not happening," BI quotes the Amazon rep as saying, "we are already at the lowest price points possible for that hardware."

 

They're already losing money on every one they sell; why not lose more money? 1wink.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 33
Why charge $99? Why not offer each customer a $99 credit at Amazon.com if s(he) agrees to take a Kindle Fire off their hands? Amazon is sure to gain market share, and Wall Street will love this. Amazon can rebrand it the Kindle Ponzi.
post #4 of 33
That's right! The rumor is very inaccurate! The new Kindle Fire HD isn't going to be $99! That's inaccurate, indeed! It'll be $99.99! So yeah! Get your numbers right! LOL!
post #5 of 33
And they say we're not making enough progress in the race to the bottom

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #6 of 33
A race to bottom of the crap heap.
This is what happens when you pile up onto a tech bandwagon. You use the same over the shelf tech as the other guy, you throw in Android and then you step by step drop your price until you really can't make a dime. In the end Amazon will end up leaving the tablet industry all together. Amazon will never be able to penetrate the tablet market like Apple.
post #7 of 33

Android tablets are a damn joke.

 

What's next, disposable Android tablets, like how people can buy disposable cameras?

 

At these rock bottom prices, they might as well be. I think that Android sellers should begin accepting food stamps. There is a vast, untapped market of many millions of potential ignorant customers.

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

A race to bottom of the crap heap.
This is what happens when you pile up onto a tech bandwagon. You use the same over the shelf tech as the other guy, you throw in Android and then you step by step drop your price until you really can't make a dime. In the end Amazon will end up leaving the tablet industry all together. Amazon will never be able to penetrate the tablet market like Apple.

I agree...but on the other hand there are many successful US companies selling "crap!"

 

MS largest SW company-Crap OS.

Coke largest beverage company-Crap (unhealthy) drinks.

McDonald's largest restaurant company-Crap (unhealthy) food.

Walmart: Largest US employer and retail chain. Just crap.

GM: Largest Auto maker-Crap cars.

Goldman Sach's-Crap

HP largest PC company-Crap PC's

Google-Just crap

Dell-Crap

Samsung-Crap

Pepsi-Crap

General Mills-Crap

Kraft-Crap

InBev largest beer company (I think)- Mostly crap beer.

Cox cable-Crap

Verizon, ATT and Sprint-Crap!

RIM-Crap

 

Best

post #9 of 33
eventually, the Kindle will go to zero cost... like the chrome book...

And remember.... if you're not paying, you're not the customer... you're the product.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree...but on the other hand there are many successful US companies selling "crap!"

 

MS largest SW company-Crap OS.

Coke largest beverage company-Crap (unhealthy) drinks.

McDonald's largest restaurant company-Crap (unhealthy) food.

Walmart: Largest US employer and retail chain. Just crap.

GM: Largest Auto maker-Crap cars.

Goldman Sach's-Crap

HP largest PC company-Crap PC's

Google-Just crap

Dell-Crap

Samsung-Crap

Pepsi-Crap

General Mills-Crap

Kraft-Crap

InBev largest beer company (I think)- Mostly crap beer.

Cox cable-Crap

Verizon, ATT and Sprint-Crap!

RIM-Crap

 

Best

 

Blackberry (formerly RIM) is a Canadian company....

 

And they did not make crap. They just very famously failed to change in response to the iPhone revolution, so to speak.

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #11 of 33

I don't see what the big deal is myself. I won't buy one for personal use, but I'm sure that there are plenty of people that would be in the market for a $99 tablet. My mom surfs the internet and reads books, I would have no qualms about dropping $99 on a Kindle Fire for her birthday. A $329 iPad mini is much harder to justify for her needs.

 

Also, I'd quicker buy my kid a $99 tablet than a much more expensive iPad... especially they way kids drop things.

 

Bottom line, why do people get all bent out of shape and bash something that they likely aren't going to purchase in the first place? I mean, I love my 15" rMBP, but I don't go doggin' on people that go out and buy cheaper PCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that Android sellers should begin accepting food stamps. There is a vast, untapped market of many millions of potential ignorant customers.

 

I'm sorry, but comments like this are just sick, pathetic, and childish.

post #12 of 33
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post
And they did not make crap. They just very famously failed to change in response to the iPhone revolution, so to speak.

 

Good today, crap tomorrow. It's a matter of perspective. Asbestos blankets and DDT aerosols were all the rage 50 years ago. 


Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
I'm sorry, but comments like this are just sick, pathetic, and childish.

 

Agreed. Particularly when many people on welfare have iPhones. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

 

Blackberry (formerly RIM) is a Canadian company....

 

And they did not make crap. They just very famously failed to change in response to the iPhone revolution, so to speak.

I was thinking more of the crap products they rushed to market and tried to "peddle" to unsuspecting customers after the iPhone was introduced. I can't remember the model names but supposedly they had "touch, just like the iPhone!" :)

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Agreed. Particularly when many people on welfare have iPhones. 

 

And they shouldn't be allowed to. You and I should not be subsidizing other people's iPhone purchases.

post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android tablets are a damn joke.

 

What's next, disposable Android tablets, like how people can buy disposable cameras?

 

At these rock bottom prices, they might as well be. I think that Android sellers should begin accepting food stamps. There is a vast, untapped market of many millions of potential ignorant customers.

 

One good thing about disposable tablets is you don't have to worry about drop and break.  You can always get another more updated one at $99.

BTW, be careful, the gov't will be after you if you're selling non-food items for food stamps...

post #16 of 33
One good thing about disposable tablets is you don't have to worry about drop and break.  You can always get another more updated one at $99.

 

It's a… "good" thing to promote a society whereby nothing has value and no personal responsibility is required? I rather think the Apple model is better. Take care of your possessions and they'll take care of you. My only Apple product that has ever broken is my first Mighty Mouse, and that's more a testament to the past filthiness of my hands than it is to Apple's construction (though it certainly could have been easier to clean).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 33
Phase1: Sell Kindle Fire at a loss.
Phase 2: ____________________
Phase 3: Profit!
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree...but on the other hand there are many successful US companies selling "crap!"

 

MS largest SW company-Crap OS.

Coke largest beverage company-Crap (unhealthy) drinks.

McDonald's largest restaurant company-Crap (unhealthy) food.

Walmart: Largest US employer and retail chain. Just crap.

GM: Largest Auto maker-Crap cars.

Goldman Sach's-Crap

HP largest PC company-Crap PC's

Google-Just crap

Dell-Crap

Samsung-Crap

Pepsi-Crap

General Mills-Crap

Kraft-Crap

InBev largest beer company (I think)- Mostly crap beer.

Cox cable-Crap

Verizon, ATT and Sprint-Crap!

RIM-Crap

 

Best

 

In you mind sounds like people love crap.  Don't forget the US gov't - Crap, but everyone is buying into it.

post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

 

One good thing about disposable tablets is you don't have to worry about drop and break.  You can always get another more updated one at $99.

BTW, be careful, the gov't will be after you if you're selling non-food items for food stamps...

I think that it's debatable if it's a good thing or not. I think that most people buying a junky $99 tablet probably don't have another $99 to buy another, if it were to break. As for selling non-food items, plenty of people already use their EBT in places like strip joints and bars.

post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
I'm sorry, but comments like this are just sick, pathetic, and childish.

 

Is there a law against mocking Android users?

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree...but on the other hand there are many successful US companies selling "crap!"

 

MS largest SW company-Crap OS.

Coke largest beverage company-Crap (unhealthy) drinks.

McDonald's largest restaurant company-Crap (unhealthy) food.

Walmart: Largest US employer and retail chain. Just crap.

GM: Largest Auto maker-Crap cars.

Goldman Sach's-Crap

HP largest PC company-Crap PC's

Google-Just crap

Dell-Crap

Samsung-Crap

Pepsi-Crap

General Mills-Crap

Kraft-Crap

InBev largest beer company (I think)- Mostly crap beer.

Cox cable-Crap

Verizon, ATT and Sprint-Crap!

RIM-Crap

 

Best

RIM is Canadian.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

 

In you mind sounds like people love crap.  Don't forget the US gov't - Crap, but everyone is buying into it.

Hey, best country in the world!

 

After Thailand, that is...even the guys look like chicks! :)

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

RIM is Canadian.

Yep, you got me...I should've said, "...many successful companies...." 

 

My bad! :)


Edited by christopher126 - 3/20/13 at 1:15pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Is there a law against mocking Android users?

Good point...it just may have been a clumsy attempt at humor! :)

 

I do it all the time. :)

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

 

In you mind sounds like people love crap.  Don't forget the US gov't - Crap, but everyone is buying into it.

Pretty much...I'm not sure if it is unique to America or it's part of the human condition. But, a lot of American's seem to equate "value" with "cheap/free." 

 

A $16 blender made in China in Walmart and lasts about a year, if you're lucky, is somehow a better value than a Braun that costs more but lasts years! (Not a criticism, just an observation.) 

 

*Waiting for someone to tell me Braun is now manufactured in Vietnam! And  is a "Canadian" company!  :)


Edited by christopher126 - 3/20/13 at 1:41pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Agreed. Particularly when many people on welfare have iPhones. 

And they shouldn't be allowed to. You and I should not be subsidizing other people's iPhone purchases.

Why? Someone needs access to a phone and email to get a job. Since iPhones can be had for free with contract. All of the US carriers are charging the same fee for data regardless of your device now, so what does it matter.
post #27 of 33
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post
Why?

 

Not to delve further into this, but the data for which they have no reason to need.

 

And the people to which I was referring certainly didn't have jobs.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a… "good" thing to promote a society whereby nothing has value and no personal responsibility is required? I rather think the Apple model is better. Take care of your possessions and they'll take care of you. My only Apple product that has ever broken is my first Mighty Mouse, and that's more a testament to the past filthiness of my hands than it is to Apple's construction (though it certainly could have been easier to clean).

I'll add my only dead Apple product is an external trackpad (my Mac Plus, Apple ][ etc. all still fine). The battery leaked in the trackpad and it was a total right off as the battery compartment was fused like a demented welder had been let lose in there. Bad design IMHO. The chemicals went at the aluminum like hot water on sherbet. The battery containing area should be lined with plastic.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I was thinking more of the crap products they rushed to market and tried to "peddle" to unsuspecting customers after the iPhone was introduced. I can't remember the model names but supposedly they had "touch, just like the iPhone!" :)

 

Okay, fair enough. Those were indeed awful phones, software-wise.

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Crap

Origin of the word "crap"

It has often been claimed in popular culture that the slang term for human bodily waste, "crap", originated with Thomas Crapper because of his association with lavatories. The most common version of this story is that American servicemen stationed in England during World War I saw his name on cisterns and used it as army slang, i.e. "I'm going to the crapper".[8]
The word crap is actually of Middle English origin; and hence predates its application to bodily waste. Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house.[8]
Its most likely etymological origin is a combination of two older words, the Dutch krappen: to pluck off, cut off, or separate; and the Old French crappe: siftings, waste or rejected matter (from the medieval Latin crappa, chaff).[8]

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Why? Someone needs access to a phone and email to get a job. Since iPhones can be had for free with contract. All of the US carriers are charging the same fee for data regardless of your device now, so what does it matter.

So a $80-$100/ month "free" iPhone 4 beats a $20 go phone and free Internet at your local library or dozens of other places. Just buy a $50 laptop off Craigslist and go to Starbucks or McDonald's to check your mail. $960-$1200 a year, or $240+$50= $290 a year. But of course, if they were making smart financial decisions they might not be in that position (not all, but plenty).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

[...] A $16 blender made in China in Walmart and lasts about a year, if you're lucky, is somehow a better value than a Braun that costs more but lasts years!

 

I know what you're saying, and have been struggling with that "value" issue myself for the last few years.

 

The problem I've been having is that many of the so-called "quality" products fail as frequently and quickly as the "budget" products.

 

I used to buy equipment touted as being "higher quality" both for the better performance and an expectation of longer life with less frequent failures. That expectation was usually not realized. I don't mean *sometimes*, I mean more often than not. Over a period of ten years or so I found that higher-end products failed as often and as quickly as their lower-end equivalents.

 

Examples include Sony VTRs that were sold by their "Professional" division at premium prices that we later found had EXACTLY the same transport mechanism as their consumer VCRs; $2000 photo scanners that made several trips to the service facility across the country while the $99 consumer units used for roughs worked fine for a year or two before just burning out; and stuff used in the field that was destroyed by environmental issues long before any kind of design issue became a factor.

 

What I finally decided was that it was more cost-effective to buy decent consumer devices (not just no-name Wal-Mart crap but not fancy stuff either), use them for a couple years and replace them, than it was to pay much more for high-end products that didn't last. In the scanner example, the high-end unit was costing us about $1 per scan, versus about $0.05 each using the consumer units. The quality of the high-end unit was obviously better, but not two orders of magnitude better, and clients didn't seem to appreciate the difference anyway.

 

So, my point is that the value proposition depends as much on usage as the intrinsic "quality" of a product, and that often the claims of better quality are actually just marketing bullshit. Sometimes, depending on the situation, a buyer may get more bang for their buck buying cheap stuff and replacing it frequently than they will by trying to use an expensive device for a long time.

post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's next, disposable Android tablets, like how people can buy disposable cameras?

Why not. There's already been that magazine interactive video ad page with an LCD screen, which was basically a throwaway Android GSM circuit board.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/10/4/3452890/entertainment-weekly-cw-ad-smartphone-teardown
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon denies rumor of forthcoming $99 Kindle Fire HD