or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch

Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch

post #1 of 56
Adding to the pile of rumors regarding the so-called "iPhone 5S," a report on Wednesday claims Apple's partner suppliers will begin shipping parts for the iPhone 5 follow-up by the end of May, with assembly of the smartphone to follow soon after.

The sometimes reliable DigiTimes citied upstream supply chain sources as saying the May timeline could yield a next-generation Apple handset by the third quarter, largely in line with analyst expectations and the company's usual annual refresh cycle.

iPhone 5

It was reported earlier in March that Apple would debut an "S series" update to its iPhone lineup alongside a low-cost handset in August. Other estimates peg the release a bit earlier in the June to July period, while one rumor claims Foxconn has already started production of the "5S" on the same assembly lines as the current iPhone 5.

Sources also cited their "latest specification data" and reiterated existing rumors that the handset's design will remain largely unchanged from the iPhone 5. As for internal component upgrades, enhancements are said to include a higher megapixel camera and a faster processor.

Many of the predictions reported on Wednesday echo those made in January by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who believes the iPhone 5S and low-cost fiberglass hybrid iPhone will launch in the third quarter. He also expects the cheaper model to boast the same 4-inch display found on the iPhone 5.
post #2 of 56
Apple hasn't exactly been logical with their naming schemes but 5S seems really odd for marketing. The number and letter combo just look too similar to me.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple hasn't exactly been logical with their naming schemes but 5S seems really odd for marketing. The number and letter combo just look too similar to me.

3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S

How is that odd? Seems right in line with their naming pattern thus far.

post #4 of 56

And if this is true, I think this is good news. June/July launches always seemed more positive to me than the last two late fall launches. Makes more sense strategically as well, as they'll get the initial high launch sales, and then just around the time that begins to taper off, the Holiday shopping season kicks into gear. Better to have one long sale stretched out across 5 months than one crazy delayed shipping 2-3 month sale, followed by a huge post-holiday slump.

post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> 4S -> 5 -> 5S

How is that odd? Seems right in line with their naming pattern thus far.

2nd gen — 3G (named for the cellular radio being added; there was no iPhone 2 nor iPhone 3)

6th gen — 5 (named because it came 2 generations after the first 4)

The only constant has been adding an 'S' at the end of a new model using the same body styling which is why these rumours are using that name hence my statement their naming scheme hasn't exactly been logical. It's illogical for you to point out a single constant and then declare that there entire naming scheme has followed the same, consistent patten when it clearly hasn't.

But back on point, iPhone S5 looks odd for marketing when the two characters are so similar in their base design.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/21/13 at 1:23am

post #6 of 56

iPhone - first iPhone

3G - iPhone with 3G

3GS - faster 3G speed

4 - 4th iPhone

4S - for-steve

So, now we have the iPhone 5, which isn't the 5th iPhone, it's not 5G, the name has noting to do with any of the hardware.

Then the iPhone 5S, once again, doesn't fit in line.

post #7 of 56
I would like to see a larger screen phone with at least 2G or more of RAM. Something around 4.5 inch would be fine for me. It's just that my eyesight isn't so good, plus I would also like to see them have larger keys on the keypad screen. I would like them to improve the app switcher and have faster access to the WiFi/BlueTooth on/off and brightness settings.

I'm also surprised that they don't have stereo speakers built in, plus they need to have the speakers face the user, not downward. I think the HTC One has a nice design with respect to the side facing the user.
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I would like to see a larger screen phone with at least 2G or more of RAM. Something around 4.5 inch would be fine for me. It's just that my eyesight isn't so good, plus I would also like to see them have larger keys on the keypad screen. I would like them to improve the app switcher and have faster access to the WiFi/BlueTooth on/off and brightness settings.

I'm also surprised that they don't have stereo speakers built in, plus they need to have the speakers face the user, not downward. I think the HTC One has a nice design with respect to the side facing the user.

Then why not just go get an Android phone which already has all the features you mentioned?

post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantsai View Post

Then why not just go get an Android phone which already has all the features you mentioned?

Because user experience is not just all about 'features'.....

post #10 of 56
Sometimes reliable, that's funny.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I would like to see ... at least 2G or more of RAM

Why?  When is RAM ever a limiting factor with an iPhone?

censored

censored

post #12 of 56

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple came with a new design and called it the iPhone 6. That would counter samsung who is trying to align itself with Apple's release schedule.

post #13 of 56
I often wonder why they don't make the home button screen based and lightly shaded, and move the speaker up to be diagonally on the edge of the screen and case. This would make room for a bigger screen on the existing 4s sized phone.
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barley View Post

I often wonder why they don't make the home button screen based and lightly shaded, and move the speaker up to be diagonally on the edge of the screen and case. This would make room for a bigger screen on the existing 4s sized phone.

I guess you've seen some concepts like that. I think it might look great too. The top bezel is basically useless. I guess it's just a matter of miniaturization.

post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Why?  When is RAM ever a limiting factor with an iPhone?

Some games tax the RAM to its limit, at least on my 4S. There are periodic delays that appear to be due to swapping. I don't know if the iPhone 5 is better on those games, but the games will only get more challenging. It's an eternal tradeoff. More RAM is always helpful, but it has to be balanced against the cost and energy usage. It's impossible to install enough RAM for the worst case scenario, so the RAM level is usually made sufficient for most users, not all.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 56
Quote:

I wonder why they don't put an LED behind the home button and have that little square light up when you have a message or are using the phone in the dark. Not that it's difficult to use in the dark but would still be a nice little touch.
post #17 of 56
Quote:

2nd gen — 3G (named for the cellular radio being added; there was no iPhone 2 nor iPhone 3)

The only constant has been adding an 'S' at the end of a new model using the same body styling which is why these rumours are using that name hence my statement their naming scheme hasn't exactly been logical. It's illogical for you to point out a single constant and then declare that there entire naming scheme has followed the same, consistent patten when it clearly hasn't.

But back on point, iPhone S5 looks odd for marketing when the two characters are so similar in their base design.

That is so cool. That will chop samsung on its knees when its tiime for the next galaxy s phone.

post #18 of 56
Quote:

I would refine your statement by saying the 2nd gen 3G was named oddly (for Apple) as they had to then keep with the increased numbering and put the entire line out of sync. 

I predict that Apple will drop the numbering as they did the iPad. 

post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

I wonder why they don't put an LED behind the home button and have that little square light up when you have a message or are using the phone in the dark. Not that it's difficult to use in the dark but would still be a nice little touch.

As long as you can set it to either display email or phone only messages as I will always have new emails, but would be interesting to see I have a new VM on my phone at a glance. 

Good thinking!  

post #20 of 56
Quote:

ah....some subtleties are lost on most...... S5 versus 5S......yes they are similar....iPhone 5s but if you do not capitalize the "s" then it just goes away.....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

As long as you can set it to either display email or phone only messages as I will always have new emails, but would be interesting to see I have a new VM on my phone at a glance. 

Good thinking!  

I would love to see some kind of message indicator light. One that could be user programmed for either text, VM or email. It would be nice to be able to glance and my iphone without having to pick it up to see if i had a message. 

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

ah....some subtleties are lost on most...... S5 versus 5S......yes they are similar....iPhone 5s but if you do not capitalize the "s" then it just goes away.....

or... VS...  1tongue.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #23 of 56

Because that sounds like a really bad idea. Also for reasons of usability and symmetry.

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I predict that Apple will drop the numbering as they did the iPad. 

They didn't when they should have so why would they any other time?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #24 of 56
YAWN
give me a wider screen. The end.
post #25 of 56
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
YAWN

YAWN

Nonsense. The end.

post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They didn't when they should have so why would they any other time?

Well, from what I've read on here, Apple is unpredictable, so anything can happen at any time.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #27 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
Well, from what I've read on here, Apple is unpredictable, so anything can happen at any time.

Should've known not to try to apply one set of logic to an Apple product release. lol.gif

post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

That is so cool. That will chop samsung on its knees when its tiime for the next galaxy s phone.

I didn't even notice I switched them. Apple clearly cares about marketing. Do you think they will allow any ambiguity with the '5' and 'S'? I guess they could use the lowercase 's' as geekdad notes, or perhaps go back to the 's' in the square like they did with the 3GS.

post #29 of 56
Quote:

YAWN

You got it! Rotate your phone 90°.

post #30 of 56
Quote:

I didn't even notice I switched them. Apple clearly cares about marketing. Do you think they will allow any ambiguity with the '5' and 'S'? I guess they could use the lowercase 's' as geekdad notes, or perhaps go back to the 's' in the square like they did with the 3GS.

Or just for the hell of it move right on to 6.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

A phone that truly is a surprise and brings back that feeling at Christmas as a kid when you didn't know what you were getting until Christmas day. That same feeling we all had when the original iPhone was released.

How the **** do you do that when you have released a phone for the last 6 consecutive year? The only serious punch would be if Apple said they won't make anymore iPhones.

post #32 of 56
So since I have an opinion that the iPhone needs a bigger screen I'm wrong? I said the end btw so it's ended, you can't undo my ending and end it again!!
post #33 of 56
Quote:

Oh...i thought you did that to make a point! 1confused.gif

Tallest Skil:

Tallest Skil:

post #34 of 56
I said the end btw so it's ended, you can't undo my ending and end it again!!

What is this, first grade?

post #35 of 56
Quote:

How the **** do you do that when you have released a phone for the last 6 consecutive year? The only serious punch would be if Apple said they won't make anymore iPhones.

I can't speak for anyone else but I felt the way gwmac describes when I saw the first iMac and then again when I saw the 1/2 soccer ball.

How about OSX? First version wasn't that hot but the potential was obvious. A breakthrough that Apple had been working on for well over a decade.

It can be done.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What is this, first grade?

Like that's the most childish statement you've heard on this forum? lol  1biggrin.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can't speak for anyone else but I felt the way gwmac describes when I saw the first iMac and then again when I saw the 1/2 soccer ball.

How about OSX? First version wasn't that hot but the potential was obvious. A breakthrough that Apple had been working on for well over a decade.

It can be done.

The difference between the original Mac and the first flatscreen iMac (which I have on my other desk and still use to VNC into my router rack, BTW) have decades of technological changes between them. The same can be said for the old Mac OS and turning NeXTSTEP into Mac OS X. Note that the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad are all more similar in their HW and OS than either the original Mac to the first flatscreen iMac, and Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Let's remember we had a stagnant, unfocused, and nearly dead Apple before we saw that changes.

I don't want Apple to collapse again just so they can have another rebirth. I want their tech to evolve, to become better over time, just as it's been doing in the iPhone for 6 years. If they have a better idea for a UI that's great but it no way should this be the throw-shit-at-the-wall maneuvering we see from other vendors. I want Apple to only think of longterm solutions; solutions that have clearly made most of their products so well founded.

post #38 of 56
Seems to have changed his tune a bit since then and a 4" 16:9 form factor is now perfection that can never be altered.

Please shut up.

I still don't like 16:9 anywhere but a TV. That it's one of the working ratios for a phone can be secondary to that. I still don't have a portable device with a 16:9 screen, so I'll keep reserving my final judgement on it until then.

I do know, however, having used a tablet at 16:9, that it's NOT a good ratio for a tablet-sized device.

post #39 of 56
Quote:

I wasn't talking about inventing an iPhone with a holographic projector , simply releasing an iPhone that is a surprise and is far different from any rumor predicted.

Then your best bet is not to read the rumours. What can Apple actually conjure, design, implement, and mass produce for their market that the world can't even fathom as to make an off the cuff comment about it? Even in your comment here you mention a holographic projector. It's hyperbole, sure, but once that tech get anywhere close to a reality of there is some proof of concept in a lab or some patents or some half-assed attempt by some company that simply wants to say "first" the rumours start flying. Even now we have rumours of smartwatches, TVs, eye tracking, etc. that all point to nothing but people are somewhat expecting now that it's been mentioned. Disappoint will follow every event they have. There mindshare is just too high.

post #40 of 56
Quote:

The difference between the original Mac and the first flatscreen iMac (which I have on my other desk and still use to VNC into my router rack, BTW) have decades of technological changes between them. The same can be said for the old Mac OS and turning NeXTSTEP into Mac OS X. Note that the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad are all more similar in their HW and OS than either the original Mac to the first flatscreen iMac, and Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Let's remember we had a stagnant, unfocused, and nearly dead Apple before we saw that changes.

I don't want Apple to collapse again just so they can have another rebirth. I want their tech to evolve, to become better over time, just as it's been doing in the iPhone for 6 years. If they have a better idea for a UI that's great but it no way should this be the throw-shit-at-the-wall maneuvering we see from other vendors. I want Apple to only think of longterm solutions; solutions that have clearly made most of their products so well founded.

You seem to forget that advances and expectations have changed considerably. What used to take two decades to create a vast change now takes less than a decade, perhaps even 5 years.

Maybe not this year but I expect Apple to knock my socks off again sometime in the next 2-3 years.

If not Apple then someone else will.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch