or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


You seem to forget that advances and expectations have changed considerably. What used to take a decade or two to create a vast change now takes less than a decade, perhaps even 5 years.

Maybe not this year but I expect Apple to knock my socks off again sometime in the next 2-3 years.

If not Apple then someone else will.

Oh, I have not forgotten about the collective's expectations of Apple. In fact, my comments to gwmac is based squarely around people having improbably expectations that are highly likely to result in disappointment. We when from the iPod in 2001 to the iPhone 6 years later, then the iPad 3 years later (which people complained about) to wanting something else the following year. I'm sorry, but you can't give Veruca a golden egg every time she asks for one.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Oh, I have not forgotten about the collective's expectations of Apple. In fact, my comments to gwmac is based squarely around people having improbably expectations that are highly likely to result in disappointment. We when from the iPod in 2001 to the iPhone 6 years later, then the iPad 3 years later (which people complained about) to wanting something else the following year. I'm sorry, but you can't give Veruca a golden egg every time she asks for one.


Well, if you didn't forget that then you definitely forgot who it was that made us come to expect great change every 6 or 7 years.

 

Steve Jobs along with his pal introduced the Apple I in '76 and 7 1/2 years later Jobs introduced the Mac... but then he was gone for 13 years.

 

Steve comes back and within a year he introduces the iMac, and then OS X, and then the iPod, and then the iPhone, and then the iPad... all within a 14 year period. (I didn't put the iPad Mini in with that group... it was just an extension of the iPad imo)

 

So, yes... I do expect Apple to bring out something revolutionary every 6 or 7 years (nobody said anything about "every year"). That's what got them to where they were at $700 per share and that's what people expect to see from them to increase Apple's share value.

 

Apple can be evolutionary if it wants but that's not where Steve had taken Apple in those 15 brief years he was at Apple 2. Steve made people expect more from Apple.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Well, if you didn't forget that then you definitely forgot who it was that made us come to expect great change every 6 or 7 years.

Steve Jobs along with his pal introduced the Apple I in '76 and 7 1/2 years later Jobs introduced the Mac... but then he was gone for 13 years.

Steve comes back and within a year he introduces the iMac, and then OS X, and then the iPod, and then the iPhone, and then the iPad... all within a 14 year period. (I didn't put the iPad Mini in with that group... it was just an extension of the iPad imo)

So, yes... I do expect Apple to bring out something revolutionary every 6 or 7 years (nobody said anything about "every year"). That's what got them to where they were at $700 per share and that's what people expect to see from them to increase Apple's share value.

Apple can be evolutionary if it wants but that's not where Steve had taken Apple in those 15 brief years he was at Apple 2.

6 or 7 years? Sure. But that's not the expectation as the iPad launched 3 years ago next month.

Something revolutionary? Sure. But to expect the same product to be completely revamped every year because it's too familiar is not what I expect when I expect pushing into technology categories.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #44 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That's what got them to where they were at $700 per share and that's what people expect to see from them to increase Apple's share value.

 

That exclusively? Because Wall Street couldn't have cared less about this up until roughly a year ago.

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That exclusively? Because Wall Street couldn't have cared less about this up until roughly a year ago.


Your opinion.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


6 or 7 years? Sure. But that's not the expectation as the iPad launched 3 years ago next month.

Something revolutionary? Sure. But to expect the same product to be completely revamped every year because it's too familiar is not what I expect when I expect pushing into technology categories.


You'll notice that I said within the next 2 or 3 years... making it 5 to 6 years since the iPad. As we move forward the technology expectation curve will be even more compressed. As mentioned, Jobs seemed to be able to do that.

 

I expect the iProducts to be "totally" revamped every 3-4 years at this point and soon it might have to be every 2-3 years. I'd like to see a new product category every 5-6 years. So far the competition doesn't seem to be giving Apple too much of a push.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #47 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
Your opinion.

 

And it's yours that they cared before that.

post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And it's yours that they cared before that.


It seemed to matter to somebody on Wall Street.

 

The excitement that SJ and all his new products brought to Apple seemed to translate into increased sales and that seemed to translate into increased share value.

 

Correlation is there.

 

So... Yes.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #49 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
The excitement that SJ and all his new products brought to Apple seemed to translate into increased sales and that seemed to translate into increased share value.

 

So the increased sales since Jobs' death are… nothing. Meaningless. Had to be Jobs and Jobs alone.

 

Something's wrong in your flow chart.

post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So the increased sales since Jobs' death are… nothing. Meaningless. Had to be Jobs and Jobs alone.

 

Something's wrong in your flow chart.


Nothing wrong at all.

 

Sculley increased Apple's bottom line as well... and then look what happened. Not that I am saying that the current team should be compared to Sculley, Spindler or Amelio... but that seems to be what Wall Street is thinking... especially when the last holiday quarter didn't quite stack up to previous holiday quarters q to q.

 

You seem to be saying that Jobs had nothing to do with the iPhone or iPad.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #51 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You seem to be saying that Jobs had nothing to do with the iPhone or iPad.

 

HA! You seem to be saying the retina MacBook Pro had no "excitement" to it. Or at the very least, less than even the least exciting Steve Jobs product.

post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

HA! You seem to be saying the retina MacBook Pro had no "excitement" to it. Or at the very least, less than even the least exciting Steve Jobs product.


The retina MacBook Pro was exciting?

 

Hermit standing in a room filled with 1000 people off the street: "Hey everybody, did you know the MacBook Pro now has a retina display?"

 

Low murmur in the room, a few hands go up.

 

Hermit: "Hey everybody, do you know about Apple's iPad?"

 

The vast majority of the room bursts into excited applause and the chatter increases to a fever pitch.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #53 of 56
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
The retina MacBook Pro was exciting?

 

Hermit standing in a room filled with 1000 people off the street: "Hey everybody, did you know the MacBook Pro now has a retina display?"

 

Low murmur in the room, a few hands go up.

 

Hermit: "Hey everybody, do you know about Apple's iPad?"

 

The vast majority of the room bursts into excited applause and the chatter increases to a fever pitch.

 

Again, how foolish of me for trying to use one set of logic to argue…

post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Again, how foolish of me for trying to use one set of logic to argue…


Either Apple is developing their products for attendees to MacWorld and WWDC specifically or Apple is developing products for the everyperson.

 

Retina display might get the rocks off for the first groups... but barely makes a ripple on the second group... even if it is quite an accomplishment.

 

Just trying to define what I mean when I say "excitement".

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #55 of 56
I recently switched to Sony Xperia Z from iPhone 5. I found that Android Jelly Bean is actually highly usable. Not as bad user experience as I once thought. iOS definitely has a prettier UI but Jelly Bean is also quite good. I am using Xperia Z and iPad mini. Best of both OS worlds 1smile.gif
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Yeo View Post

I recently switched to Sony Xperia Z from iPhone 5. I found that Android Jelly Bean is actually highly usable. Not as bad user experience as I once thought. iOS definitely has a prettier UI but Jelly Bean is also quite good. I am using Xperia Z and iPad mini. Best of both OS worlds 1smile.gif

Well of course it is good, it was copied.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: 'iPhone 5S' components to ship in May ahead of 3Q launch