or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]

Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]

post #1 of 89
Asked whether iPhone and iPad users could expect to see Google's predictive search feature, Google Now, appearing on their devices, Google chairman Eric Schmidt insinuated that the company had already submitted such an app for Apple approval, but Apple has since indicated that the app has in fact not been submitted [updated].

Update: After Schmidt's comments began to gain attention, Apple provided a statement to CNet revealing that a rumored Google Now iOS application has not been submitted for App Store review.

Update 2: CNet has confirmed Schmidt's statement was false, reporting that a Google representative said, "Yes, I can confirm for you: We have not submitted Google Now to Apple's App Store."

In a lengthy interview at Google's Big Tent Summit, Schmidt was asked whether Apple had a problem with Google Now and declined to comment. When it came to when Google Now might show up on iOS, Schmidt hinted that the issue was out of Google's hands.

"You'll need to discuss that with Apple," Schmidt said. "Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve, and some of them they don't."

A predictive search feature that debuted on Android with the release of version 4.1 Jelly Bean, Google Now displays information that the system believes will be relevant to a user. Initially, the system featured integration with sports scores, weather forecasts, and stock market information, but it has expanded since its introduction to include information like flight reminders and possible events of interest.

Google is thought to be bringing the system to its Chrome web browser, and an alleged promotional video leaked in mid-March, showing the system running on iOS.

Later in the interview, Schmidt had some kind words to say regarding Apple, calling the iPhone maker "a tremendous technology innovator" right before turning around and recommending a Samsung tablet over the iPad as more scalable and more secure.

Schmidt was asked whether he preferred Amazon or Apple. After saying that, due to his time as a member of Apple's board, he had a soft spot for the company, Schmidt praised the Cupertino company for its leadership position in technology.

"Apple will continue to be a tremendous technology innovator and build beautiful products," Schmidt said, "regardless of the market share of the products, and that's a great strength."

He went on to reveal that he has both an iPad mini and an iPad, but that he prefers the full-size iPad because the mini is, to him, too small. The Google exec pivoted, though, to tout a competing product from one of Google's partners.

"But you know, frankly, if you take a look at the Samsung 10-inch tablet, the Nexus 10," Schmidt segued quickly, "more apps, more scalable, more secure."
post #2 of 89
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
"But you know, frankly, if you take a look at the Samsung 10-inch tablet, the Nexus 10," Schmidt segued quickly, "more apps, more scalable, more secure."

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 89
The guy was drunk on his own shit.
post #4 of 89
What a catty answer. Why not just say what the issue is? Don't trust him as far as I could throw him.
post #5 of 89
Quote:

"Apple will continue to be a tremendous technology innovator and build beautiful products," Schmidt said, "regardless of the market share of the products, and that's a great strength."

That sounds like a reasonable comment to me.
Quote:
He went on to reveal that he has both an iPad mini and an iPad, but that he prefers the full-size iPad because the mini is, to him, too small.

What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 89
More apps: Just a plain ole lie.
More scalable: A lie. How many apps that run on an Android phone also run on an Android tablet vs how many iPhone apps run on an iPad?
More secure: A lie. Searching for malware, android, iOS, will easily prove that is a lie.

I would expect someone with Google to stretch the truth to make their product look good, but when they spout out-and-out lies, they can be accurately labelled as liars. (In addition to his label as an industrial spy.)
post #7 of 89
There are definitely not more apps.

What would it even mean for a tablet to be scalable? Is someone making a server farm out of tablets?
post #8 of 89
More "secured" .... my foot!
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.

I thought that was strange, too, but obviously this comes down to personal preference. After all, Google made the Nexus 7 to avoid competing directly with the iPad. That doesn't mean Schmidt has to like that screen size.

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

post #10 of 89
Quote:
But you know, frankly, if you take a look at the Samsung 10-inch tablet, the Nexus 10," Schmidt segued quickly, "more apps, more scalable, more secure.

He could not possibly have said that. I hope. Has anyone watched the whole video? The only thing that could be interpreted as being true is "more scalable," but that is exactly what makes Android scaled up "tablet apps" so awful.

post #11 of 89

Why this junk fellow has been talking nonsense?  Did some do black magic on him?  Or, whenever Sergey and Larry give him full bashing, he comes like this and talk  nonsense?  He is douchebag!  He is nonsense.

post #12 of 89
Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?
post #13 of 89
Quote:

"You'll need to discuss that with Apple," Schmidt said. "Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve, and some of them they don't."

AS IF THAT'S A BAD THING, eh?  A little thinly-veiled criticism from Herr Mole. 

It's as funny as it is pathetic.

post #14 of 89

How is an Android tablet "more secure"?  

O.o

post #15 of 89
Quote:

It doesn't have to approve this app.  I hate this app on my iPhone or iPad.

post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I see no reason why Apple shouldn't.

Complicated apps -- especially those that require storing user data -- take a few weeks to review, so I am assuming it's no big deal.

post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I see no reason why Apple shouldn't.

Complicated apps -- especially those that require storing user data -- take a few weeks to review, so I am assuming it's no big deal.

Its not about time or implementation. Its about business.

post #18 of 89
Google Never for me.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #19 of 89

They must have submitted it then. I predict it will be out tomorrow, lots of new apps come out at the end of the week.

post #20 of 89
@RaptorOO7,

16:9 7" = 20.94 sq inches

4:3 7.85" = 29.58 sq inches.

29.58"^2 is 141% of 20.94"^2. Note that I included the aspect ratio in my original post as a raging clue.

post #21 of 89
Quote:

If the app is 100% within the rules they will. But something tells me it wouldn't be. There will be some private API or such that turns up that will get it rejected and Google will try to play the fear card.

if they have actually submitted it. Google might want to keep this in house to encourage buying. But why pass up the dig on Apple. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #22 of 89

Didn't Schmidt also say the same thing about Google Maps as a standalone app - i.e. it's up to Apple? As it turned out, Google had yet to submit the app at the time.

post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

I thought that was strange, too, but obviously this comes down to personal preference. After all, Google made the Nexus 7 to avoid competing directly with the iPad. That doesn't mean Schmidt has to like that screen size.

We know this ... how?

post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Didn't Schmidt also say the same thing about Google Maps as a standalone app - i.e. it's up to Apple? As it turned out, Google had yet to submit the app at the time.

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

post #25 of 89

I wish Apple would take all the Google apps off of iOS. Google pays Apple about a $billion a year for the privilege; Apple doesn't need another billion. It needs to stop Google's looney machinations. Cf. maps and reader.

post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If the app is 100% within the rules they will. But something tells me it wouldn't be. There will be some private API or such that turns up that will get it rejected and Google will try to play the fear card.

if they have actually submitted it. Google might want to keep this in house to encourage buying. But why pass up the dig on Apple. 

Agree but Google is in the search business, they don't care if its from Android or iOS. Guess we will see soon. Probably why they leaked the video, easy way to put Apple on the hot seat.

I want the app, myself.
post #27 of 89
Quote:

What interesting about that is there are a lot of people that believe that Apple reversed some decision and decided to switch out Apple Maps for Google Apps as their default apps. My father was the first one to mention this to me and then he showed me the article he had read it. It was either a deliberately slanted article against Apple or it was sheer ignorance. It was so outside what is rational and sane that I can't even recall a single line from it.

That makes me think that Google's delay with releasing the App Store app and their comments leading up to it were all planned specifically as propaganda to get people to think Apple backtracked somewhere.

post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

My parents said/thought the same thing when I was born. Were they ever wrong!

post #29 of 89
I'm sorry, I'm calling bullshit. This is the same crap Google pulled with maps, first saying they were "caugh off guard" that Apple dropped Google maps, then insinuating they submitted the app and it got rejected, etc etc, continually contradicting their story but the theme was to make Apple the villain and to create as much negative PR was possible.

ame thing now- I see absolutely no reason why Apple would reject this app, since they're accepted to many other Google apps that duplicated functionality, etc. This does not pose a threat to Siri because only a minority of users will install it, and it isn't integrated into the hardware as Siri is. Apple also knows that rejecting the app will only create negative PR, and they have no reason to do so. Again, this is Google just trying to make Apple look bad.
post #30 of 89
I'm sick of the "predictive" search on their website. Stop interpreting my wants, because you're wrong!
post #31 of 89
Google Now is great tough.
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

O.o

Thieves don't want them. So in that regard, you can use an Android tablet at 2 am in high crime areas and not get robbed.
post #33 of 89
Quote:

Histrionics repeats itself, to paraphrase:
Quote:
Update: After Schmidt's comments began to gain attention, Apple provided a statement to CNet revealing that a rumored Google Now iOS application has not been submitted for App Store review.

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/21/13 at 11:53am

post #34 of 89
Schmidt ... Probable the biggest lowlife in the tec world...
post #35 of 89
Quote:

We know this ... how?

You're right, it's just an assumption I've seen and that I assume is widely held.

post #36 of 89

Webster just announced a change to its dictionary.

Instead of a word description they now have a photo of Schmidt next to the word, "smarmy".

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #37 of 89
Quote:

Turned out to be the same again. Doesnt Eric Schmidt have any balls anymore?
Wait, he never had.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Nobody will steal one. They can't even sell them at zero profit margin. (edit: noticed this was covered)

They might have more apps but it's pretty close:

http://www.imore.com/app-store-brought-35-times-more-revenue-google-play-2012

Plus Google Play has task managers and things. I don't like the 'more apps = better' marketing either of them use though. I'd rather have 10,000 good apps.

Scalability is debatable. Obviously none of the iOS apps scale automatically for the iPhone 5 so they should have allowed for that earlier. Google had no choice but to allow for it. As pointed out before though, scaling up just doesn't work beyond a certain point. You can imagine even using OS X on an 80" 4K display. Dragging across the screen would quickly become tedious. UIs have to be designed for their usage and Apple forcing developers into fixed sizes was one of the best things they did as far as the tablet market was concerned because it encouraged developers to not make the same UI for everything.
post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Why this junk fellow has been talking nonsense?  Did some do black magic on him?  Or, whenever Sergey and Larry give him full bashing, he comes like this and talk  nonsense?  He is douchebag!  He is nonsense.

...he is billionaire, he don't care.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #40 of 89
Quote:

The court case involving Apple in a class action over user privacy, will stop Google submitting it when Apple is forced to block Google from obtaining information about users at the order of the presiding Judge.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]