or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]

Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2] - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Schmidt talks like a politician: You know he's lying because he's moving his mouth.
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Didn't Schmidt also say the same thing about Google Maps as a standalone app - i.e. it's up to Apple? As it turned out, Google had yet to submit the app at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Turned out to be the same again. Doesnt Eric Schmidt have any balls anymore?
Wait, he never had.

Heh ... I am the new Jim Dalrymple 1wink.gif

post #43 of 89

Oh Eric ... now that someone HAS checked with Apple and they say it hasn't been submitted, what happens?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Love that!

post #44 of 89

I guess the scariest part of this is that he thought that this would not come out in the laundry.

post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What interesting about that is there are a lot of people that believe that Apple reversed some decision and decided to switch out Apple Maps for Google Apps as their default apps. My father was the first one to mention this to me and then he showed me the article he had read it. It was either a deliberately slanted article against Apple or it was sheer ignorance. It was so outside what is rational and sane that I can't even recall a single line from it.

That makes me think that Google's delay with releasing the App Store app and their comments leading up to it were all planned specifically as propaganda to get people to think Apple backtracked somewhere.

Never underestimate the power of FUD and LIES. It works.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

More apps: Just a plain ole lie.
More scalable: A lie. How many apps that run on an Android phone also run on an Android tablet vs how many iPhone apps run on an iPad?
More secure: A lie. Searching for malware, android, iOS, will easily prove that is a lie.

I would expect someone with Google to stretch the truth to make their product look good, but when they spout out-and-out lies, they can be accurately labelled as liars. (In addition to his label as an industrial spy.)

What counts is that Schmidt won't be called out on any of this by the tech media, whereas Phil Schiller was castigated for similar questionable comments about Samsung/Android. Perception tumps reality every time and the tech media has a hard-on for Apple lately. I think it was Renee Ritchie who explained it best on one MacBreak Weekly podcast. People got tired of reading positive news about Apple so the jerk pundit universe switched gears to keep the clicks and views coming by printing bad news about Apple. Right now people are hungry for bad Apple news so the tech media is only too happy to supply it to them. People will get tired of bad Apple news eventually and the worm will turn again. Online tech journalists really are whores when you get right down to it.

post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?

What app? Google hasn't submitted the app in question yet. How can Apple approve an app that doesn't exist yet?

post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Thieves don't want them. So in that regard, you can use an Android tablet at 2 am in high crime areas and not get robbed.

Exactly.  That's why i see more local business are using Android tablets.  They told me it's for security.  I thought they were joking, but seems like it's true...

post #49 of 89
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
Exactly.  That's why i see more local business are using Android tablets.  They told me it's for security.  I thought they were joking, but seems like it's true...

So stop doing business with them.

When they ask why, tell them, "It's for security."

post #50 of 89
Quote:

That sounds like a reasonable comment to me.
What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.

But they're also pimping a 10" model.   Has Eric mentioned anything about the Google Glass?  I haven't seen him wearing them around. Same thing as Page.  I wonder if those guys will only wear Google Glass for promo shots, but when people aren't looking they'll take them off and think that they are just some Geek Toy for Sergey and his group of worthless geeks to develop.

post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What app? Google hasn't submitted the app in question yet. How can Apple approve an app that doesn't exist yet?

They said the same thing before they submitted Google Maps too.  They SPECULATED that Apple was going to not approve it.   F Google.  I think they are just the scam geeks of the Century.  Good thing I don't pay them for any of their services.

post #52 of 89

"If you have something that you want anyone to know you are submitting,  maybe you should be submitting it in the first place!"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #53 of 89

Did everybody know that Eric's middle name is "Fullof"?

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #54 of 89
Quote:

Based on his comments and leaked videos, it appears an app is being developed; Google would be nuts NOT to develop it for iOS. So my question was if folks here thought Apple would approve the app if submitted.

Obviously now we know it hasn't been submitted yet, but it appears that Google will at some point. Then it will be up to Apple. I hope they allow it, myself. If others don't want it, fine. Plenty of others do. I do.
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

More apps: Just a plain ole lie.
More scalable: A lie. How many apps that run on an Android phone also run on an Android tablet vs how many iPhone apps run on an iPad?
More secure: A lie. Searching for malware, android, iOS, will easily prove that is a lie.

I would expect someone with Google to stretch the truth to make their product look good, but when they spout out-and-out lies, they can be accurately labelled as liars. (In addition to his label as an industrial spy.)

Not to mention, of course, the fact that he lied about Apple blocking their app - when they hadn't even submitted it yet.

Can't wait for the Google shills to defend this.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 89
Quote:

What counts is that Schmidt won't be called out on any of this by the tech media, whereas Phil Schiller was castigated for similar questionable comments about Samsung/Android. Perception tumps reality every time and the tech media has a hard-on for Apple lately. I think it was Renee Ritchie who explained it best on one MacBreak Weekly podcast. People got tired of reading positive news about Apple so the jerk pundit universe switched gears to keep the clicks and views coming by printing bad news about Apple. Right now people are hungry for bad Apple news so the tech media is only too happy to supply it to them. People will get tired of bad Apple news eventually and the worm will turn again. Online tech journalists really are whores when you get right down to it.

I agree. Schmidt will get away with his blatant lies and the media won't say a word.

Probably because they're making so much money on Adwords and don't want to jeopardize their search rankings.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Did everybody know that Eric's middle name is "Fullof"?

Someday [likely soon] when AndyAndy leaves Google we might [possibly] hear the truth about when/why/who repurposed Android from a Blackberry competitor to an iPhone competitor...

Arguably, Google has benefitted little from the Android platform and, instead has sabotaged its relationships with Apple and Apple users.

post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Good thing I don't pay them for any of their services.

You think you don't......lol.gif

post #59 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Based on his comments and leaked videos, it appears an app is being developed; Google would be nuts NOT to develop it for iOS. So my question was if folks here thought Apple would approve the app if submitted.

Obviously now we know it hasn't been submitted yet, but it appears that Google will at some point. Then it will be up to Apple. I hope they allow it, myself. If others don't want it, fine. Plenty of others do. I do.

Google still hasn't released a maps app for the iPad -- and the iPhone version scales up pathetically for the iPad Mini or iPad.

post #60 of 89
Although this will not be a popular opinion on Apple Insider, I believe Android tablets may be more secure:

As anyone can clearly see, despite the claims that Android tablets have captured nearly 50% market share, Android tablets simply aren't used. Of course, a device which isn't powered on and is sitting abandoned in home drawers, ... and closets instead of being used is more secure than a device which is actively used on a daily basis.
post #61 of 89

It's another 820 party moment:  Someone was caught lying to spread FUD and hide his true motive.

post #62 of 89
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
As anyone can clearly see, despite the claims that Android tablets have captured nearly 50% market share, Android tablets simply aren't used. Of course, a device which isn't powered on and is sitting abandoned in home drawers, ... and closets instead of being used is more secure than a device which is actively used on a daily basis.

post #63 of 89
"Do no evil." Hey Eric Schmidt - FYI - lying is evil.

Maybe Google actually meant "Do know evil."
post #64 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixnaHalfFeet View Post

"Do no evil." Hey Eric Schmidt - FYI - lying is evil.

Maybe Google actually meant "Do know evil."

"Do no Evel," in my opinion.

post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Google still hasn't released a maps app for the iPad -- and the iPhone version scales up pathetically for the iPad Mini or iPad.

True; but maps (apple,google or otherwise) aren't very useful unless you have a 3G version of the ipad/mini. So many ppl, including me, have no use for it. (Wifi ipad only) Plus, Google is probably better served to invest in creating better experiences with their iOS apps than to waste resources on a map app for the ipad. Just my .02. 

I certainly understand why some prefer not to have google apps on their iDevices, and that's fine. I used to think the same, but now I realize it can be the best of both worlds. Quality, beauty, reliability of Apple hardware coupled with outstanding Google apps on my devices.  So they serve me an ad here or there; big deal. I don't avoid television because of commercials.  Again, just my .02. 

post #66 of 89
Quote:

Quote:

Back on topic, I hope Apple approves the app. Predictions, anyone?

Google has used the classic way to put out negative information about the competition. Apple did it recently with the S4 saying it might be shipped with an old OS. It's about promoting a negative stereotype.

It happens in news all the time:

Breaking news: Eric Schmidt was rumoured to have been seen entering a motel with some local prostitutes. Schmidt was unavailable for comment.

Now, the important part is the last part because it implies guilt regardless of whether or not anybody bothered to ask him.

Google wants to promote the stereotype of Apple being a control freak. Apple can promote Google as being an invader of privacy, having lower quality control and of being evil or whatever else that is plausible but may or may not be true.

At the next keynote Tim could just say that he heard a story of someone being watched on the toilet by a ratter who installed malware on an Android device:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/rat-breeders-meet-the-men-who-spy-on-women-through-their-webcams/

It doesn't have to be true but it's the fear that counts.
post #67 of 89
Did Schmidt tell that Google Now is already submitted to Appstore?

"When it came to when Google Now might show up on iOS, Schmidt hinted that the issue was out of Google's hands.

"You'll need to discuss that with Apple," Schmidt said. "Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve, and some of them they don't.""

Appleinsider:
"Google chairman Eric Schmidt insinuated that the company had already submitted such an app for Apple approval"

I don't know how Appleinsider concluded that. I haven't watched the video though. May be he said that but not reported directly here.
post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeiteasy View Post

"When it came to when Google Now might show up on iOS, Schmidt hinted that the issue was out of Google's hands.

"You'll need to discuss that with Apple," Schmidt said. "Apple has a policy of approving or disapproving apps that are submitted into its store, and some of the apps we make they approve, and some of them they don't.""

Appleinsider:
"Google chairman Eric Schmidt insinuated that the company had already submitted such an app for Apple approval"

I don't know how Appleinsider concluded that. I haven't watched the video though. May be he said that but not reported directly here.

Other sites were spinning it the same way a few hours ago.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #69 of 89
Quote:

Appleinsider:

He could have said it wasn't submitted yet he took the classic Google dirtball approach and said "you need to discuss that with Apple". Why would Apple be involved if old Google hasn't submitted it.
post #70 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I see no reason why Apple shouldn't.

Complicated apps -- especially those that require storing user data -- take a few weeks to review, so I am assuming it's no big deal.

Apple needs to have it to approve it first lol Shmidt is such a liar.  Im sure when apple gets there hands on it for real, they will eventually approve it for release.

post #71 of 89
Quote:

Sure as long as it meets App Store Guidelines, they have approved all of googles other apps.  

post #72 of 89
Quote:

That sounds like a reasonable comment to me.
What's odd about this is that is that Google had been pimping the 7" tablet for awhile now. The 7" 16:9 tablet that has about 40% less display area than the iPad mini.

He also said he uses a Blackberry rather than an Android smartphone. He explained he preferred the physical keyboard.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #73 of 89

Crap, I forgot I'd made this. It would have been great for the part where he claims Android is secure.

post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It happens in news all the time:

Breaking news: Eric Schmidt was rumoured to have been seen entering a motel with some local prostitutes. Schmidt was unavailable for comment.

It's not a rumor, I have a friend who's uncle saw them. He was sure it must have been Eric Schmidt because he once saw him on TV. The male prostitute was a really beefy guy, so it's probable Eric is a "bottom." Pass it on...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #75 of 89
Google now admits that Schmidt was lying:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57575626-37/apple-google-google-now-not-submitted-to-app-store/

It's really sad to see how many people are defending this lying, cheating company. Heck, TechCrunch is still running the original article which claims that Apple is holding it up without publishing the statement that Google never submitted it.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm sorry, I'm calling bullshit. This is the same crap Google pulled with maps, first saying they were "caugh off guard" that Apple dropped Google maps, then insinuating they submitted the app and it got rejected, etc etc, continually contradicting their story but the theme was to make Apple the villain and to create as much negative PR was possible.

ame thing now- I see absolutely no reason why Apple would reject this app, since they're accepted to many other Google apps that duplicated functionality, etc. This does not pose a threat to Siri because only a minority of users will install it, and it isn't integrated into the hardware as Siri is. Apple also knows that rejecting the app will only create negative PR, and they have no reason to do so. Again, this is Google just trying to make Apple look bad.

Sorry, I had to quote myself, as I called it. But even I am mildly surprised that he had the gall to say that shit when the app hadn't even been submitted- I didn't go as far as to believe he was THAT crass of a liar. To think I used to have respect for Schmidt back in the day. What disgusting tactics. Any reasonable, objective person would realize it would not be in Apple's best interest to reject it. 

But notice if you parse his language, he didn't explicitly state it was submitted or that Apple rejected it, to cover his ass. He just heavily implied it, confirming that it was purposeful FUD. 

post #77 of 89
Wow. He just straight up lied. Good going, Schmidt. Now we'll never believe you again.
post #78 of 89
Quote:

Not directly.  But by saying that Apple should be asked implies that they have an answer - they don't have one because they don't have an app so he is wrong.  They would need to ask Google.  

Schmidt could have been much more accurate by saying "I don't have a precise answer since one is still in development (which I assume one is).  We also don't know how long Apple's App approval process will take so there is that."

He could have been far more accurate and made the same app store dig he was trying to make.  By just mentioning Apple they imply that Apple has information they do not.  Google knows this which makes them dishonest.  They lied.  Apple can't tell you anything about something they don't have

post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Schmidt talks like a politician: You know he's lying because he's moving his mouth.

Yeah but he always seems to be talking out of his ass

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #80 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Google now admits that Schmidt was lying:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57575626-37/apple-google-google-now-not-submitted-to-app-store/

It's really sad to see how many people are defending this lying, cheating company. Heck, TechCrunch is still running the original article which claims that Apple is holding it up without publishing the statement that Google never submitted it.

No, he was not lying since he didn't say they have submitted. And Google hasn't "admitted" that he was lying either.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Eric Schmidt hints Apple is blocking iOS Google Now, but Google hasn't submitted app [ux2]