or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Ive brings software, hardware teams together in push for 'flat design'

Apple's Ive brings software, hardware teams together in push for 'flat design'

post #1 of 156
Tasked with overseeing Apple's human interface efforts, Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jony Ive has reportedly brought the company's hardware and mobile software design teams together in a push toward a simpler and more cohesive "flat design," according to a new report.

People familiar with Apple's daily operations told The Wall Street Journal that Ive has been briefing the human interface team on prototypes earlier than usual in hopes of fostering a collaborative environment, and to allow software engineers time to better take advantage of upcoming hardware. The new inter-office dynamic, called "a thawing," is a change from Apple's previous workflow, which largely kept iOS software and hardware designers separate.

Jonathan Ive
Apple SVP of Industrial Design Jony Ive.

Ive, who took over human interface design duties in October after former iOS chief Scott Forstall was ousted in October, is reportedly looking to make Apple's software more in line with his minimalist hardware aesthetic. Developers who have spoken to Apple employees said the new "flat design" will be more simple than the current iteration of iOS, but failed to offer further details.

The publication noted that Ive is now sitting in on human interface design team meetings to add his perspective on new developments, but despite the added input, no drastic modifications to iOS are expected for the near future.

Following Ive's lead, SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi is also said to be moving his Mac teams toward a more collaborative process, but that change hasn't been as rapid. Sources claim Federighi plans to keep Mac and iOS teams separate for the time being, though one person expects the two groups to reorganize this summer.
post #2 of 156
Yeah, flat is the word. Couldn't explain it better, and simpler. Just one word: flat. Brilliant.
post #3 of 156
I've said this before and it fell on deaf ears but Ive knows almost nothing about software design. This move is just as likely to be a bad thing as a good thing IMO.

"Flatness" isn't good in and of itself just as skeuomorphism isn't good in and of itself. Also a lot of the "non-flat" stuff in iOS is the best most successful parts.

A unilateral "flattening" of the OS might look good at first just because it's different but it won't necessarily solve anything.

Also, "simple" and "flat" are not the same thing.
post #4 of 156

FRICK, no. The last thing we need is Windows 8.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #5 of 156
I do hope that there will be some eye candy left that adds to the wow factor.
post #6 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I've said this before and it fell on deaf ears but Ive knows almost nothing about software design. This move is just as likely to be a bad thing as a good thing IMO.

"Flatness" isn't good in and of itself just as skeuomorphism isn't good in and of itself. Also a lot of the "non-flat" stuff in iOS is the best most successful parts.

A unilateral "flattening" of the OS might look good at first just because it's different but it won't necessarily solve anything.

I understand what you're saying I don't think Ive needs to have a strong background in SW design for it to work. What he needs to be open to ideas (which I think he clearly is) and have an eye for what makes something visually appealing without losing its usefulness (which I think is self-evident). Maybe his skills in the one won't carry over to the other but of anyone at Apple in charge with a final say in how something looks I'm damn happy its Ive.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 156
Never mind pissballing about with this, where is my effing Mac Pro?????
post #8 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Yeah, flat is the word. Couldn't explain it better, and simpler. Just one word: flat. Brilliant.

Well the whole 'flat' aesthetic sure has proven quite popular/successful since Android 4.X and Windows/WP 8 adopted it over a year ago.

Looking forward to seeing Apple's implementation brings.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #9 of 156
Thank God. I detest the current design model, which uses analogues of old desk calendars, notepads, etc.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #10 of 156
Quote:

In my business, the printing industry, flat means dull and lifeless. I hope that's not the direction that Ive plans to move towards.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #11 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Well the whole 'flat' aesthetic sure has proven quite popular/successful since Android 4.X and Windows/WP 8 adopted it over a year ago.

I think you're confusing 'flat' as in banal/blah (Android) with 'flat' as in same level/smooth (Apple).

Not the first time you've sounded confused....
post #12 of 156
I'd like to see a little more pizzazz, but functionality definitely needs to be improved. For instance, I want easy access to certain settings like wi-fi. Further, Siri is nice, but Google's search works better in terms of how fast it completes a task.
post #13 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

EXACTLY!! We don't need no stinking Windows 8!! What's the sense of having all this Video RAM these days when 640k is good enough? lol.gif

If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #14 of 156
Quote:

Another typical drive-by comment.

I'm holding out hope that you'll change your sig, it's getting a little old.

post #15 of 156
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post
Thank God. I detest the current design model, which uses analogues of old desk calendars, notepads, etc.

No, you don't actually hate skeuomorphism.

Originally Posted by TBell View Post
I'd like to see a little more pizzazz, but functionality definitely needs to be improved.

How is UI design 'functionality'?

post #16 of 156

Until we actually see what they're (supposedly) talking about, debating the pros & cons of "flatness" really doesn't mean much.

post #17 of 156
Quote:

Why are you even here?

post #18 of 156
Quote:

He's not doing software design, he's doing UI design.  

post #19 of 156
Quote:

Flat doesn't necessarily mean it'll look like Windows 8.  Google Now and many of Google's core apps on iOS utilize a flat design and they look great - modern looking like Windows 8 but as functional as iOS.  After using it for awhile, I'm not a big fan Windows Metro either.

post #20 of 156
Quote:

I've said this before and it fell on deaf ears but Ive knows almost nothing about software design. 

Based in what? Your personal knowledge of him? One doesn't need to have a PhD or even any degree to know about something. Especially when you are around it day in and day out.

and given that the man just took over this post and we haven't seen any of the effort yet, how about showing him the basic human respect of not dissing him without evidence that he is in fact a moron.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #21 of 156
Quote:

He's not designing software. He's involved with the look and feel. I'm sure he will take a minimalist approach to the UI.
post #22 of 156
Flat design can mean a number of things, and it depends on the concept. Perhaps waiting to see a visual of what is being talked about would be better.
post #23 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

In my business, the printing industry, flat means dull and lifeless. I hope that's not the direction that Ive plans to move towards.

Then be sure to avoid making flat and dull designs. The UI has nothing to do with your productivity and final outputs. The UI is meant to be non-distracting and if this means they are returning to a clean minimized look [albeit modernized] with the way OPENSTEP was then I'm all for it.

Edited by mdriftmeyer - 3/21/13 at 3:49pm
post #24 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you're confusing 'flat' as in banal/blah (Android) with 'flat' as in same level/smooth (Apple).

Not the first time you've sounded confused....

No... and it's your biased nonsense that doesn't allow you to see things for what they are (in this case a 'flat UI aesthetic), resulting in Confusion On Your Part - Not Mine. 

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #25 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

It's called a comment section on a technology site. If you only want to hear your own voice, why don't you open up a word processor and start typing comments.

There is a huge difference between having a difference of opinion that leads to mature debates and going to the forums of sites where all you do post is lies and negative rhetoric to get attention (i.e.: trolling).

post #26 of 156

Abject nonsense.

post #27 of 156
Quote:

C'mon now, do you really think Sir Jony Ive is going to produce a Win8 interface? :)

post #28 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Then be sure to avoid making flat and dull designs. The UI has nothing to do with your productivity and final outputs. The UI is meant to be non-distracting and if this means they are returning to a clean minimized look [albeit modernized] with the way OPENSTEP was then I'm all for it.

MMmmmmm ... OPENSTEP/NEXTSTEP! Quite the interface for it's time.

post #29 of 156

I'm interested in seeing what this results in. I actually think this could be a good evolution of the UI. But we don't really have a lot to go on here. If I had to guess it will be more of an Apple take on the Swiss design school blended with their current approach in some ways.

I think some streamlining and flattening could be welcome. I'd also favor de-rounding of some corners. But more importantly than all of that, some new UI interaction approaches that reflect the changes in the device and it's usage (e.g., dozens of apps, etc.)

But I'm also interested in seeing how the UI might change to reflect apps poking information and content up through their "icons" or what not even when not the active/main app at the moment. Some improved approach that reflects the desire to be getting tidbits of content and information from the various apps in somewhat of a "dashboard" fashion.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #30 of 156
Quote:

No... and it's your biased nonsense that doesn't allow you to see things for what they are (in this case a 'flat UI aesthetic), resulting in Confusion On Your Part - Not Mine. 

You actually don't have a clue about what flat design really is don't you?

Can you please tell me if this is example of flat design?

It's got textures and gradients all over the place, or maybe you think textures and gradients are nice examples of flat design?

post #31 of 156
HTC Sense uses some light textures for the toolbars.
http://www.engadget.com/gallery/htc-sense-5-screenshots/5701407/
It's akin to OSX texture in the finder's bar. iOS needs a little of this, all the shiny glass effect is getting a little old.
post #32 of 156
Quote:

The Fact Is: You're so full of your own biased/one-sided opinions that any comments that don't conform to said 'opinions' 100% you lash out at, ridicule, and label as 'trolling', when the truth is that you, and several of your cronies/aliases, are the Biggest Trolls On The Entire Site.

Don't Like My Posts (which do NOT violate any reasonable forum rules) Then Block My Screen Name and Stop Constantly Disrupting Threads With Your Hateful/Childish/Trollish/Off-Topic Nonsense.

Anyway... Great to read that Apple's entertaining updating the iOS UI, and 'flat' certainly seems to be the trend these days.

LOL 1rolleyes.gif

post #33 of 156
The Fact Is: …you, and several of your cronies/aliases, are the Biggest Trolls On The Entire Site.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

post #34 of 156
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post
Wait... wait... wait... you mean my Samesong two gen removed has a screen to turn on and off wifi as bluetooth, GPS, Sync, brightness, screen timeout, tips, and settings?

Your iPhone 5 generations removed has the same screen.

post #35 of 156

Apple is changing iTunesConnects UI (the website not the app). They are removing shadows, gradient, and other 3D effects. They are using bright colors (White and light gray). They also got rid of rounded corners. It has Ive all over it. I believe this is the new direction. The good thing is UI changes in iOS are not that difficult to implement. Since iOS 5, Apple made customization for 3rd party apps very easy. We will still have Navigation Bars, Tool Bars, Tab Bar.. etc. In iOS 7 they will look different.

PS. One thing that I hope Apple do is make custom color themes for different color iOS devices. That would be nice.

post #36 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip0106 View Post

You actually don't have a clue about what flat design really is don't you?

Can you please tell me if this is example of flat design?

It's got textures and gradients all over the place, or maybe you think textures and gradients are nice examples of flat design?

If you see a gradient or texture in that third image please show me where.
post #37 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

If you see a gradient or texture in that third image please show me where.

Below the status bar, the same texture that is spread across the whole Android OS and some of the Google Apps.

post #38 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Apple is changing iTunesConnects UI (the website not the app). They are removing shadows, gradient, and other 3D effects. They are using bright colors (White and light gray). It has Ive all over it. I believe this is the new direction. The good thing is UI changes in iOS are not that difficult to implement. Since iOS 5, Apple made customization for 3rd party apps very easy. We will still have Navigation Bars, Tool Bars, Tab Bar.. etc. In iOS 7 they will look different.

PS. One thing that I hope Apple do is make custom color themes for different color iOS devices. That would be nice.

I thought about that changing color scheme too, but then people would complain that they haven't the color they want...
iOS is hopefully getting rid of the blue color in the browser and unify the os color.
Get rid of glass effects, add light textures like in the osx toolbars and blur transparency.
Get rid of skeumorphism that doesn't add anything.
post #39 of 156
The guy has taste. Let'sI hope he just makesit look good and drops all the fake wood and leather bullspit.
post #40 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip0106 View Post

Below the status bar, the same texture that is spread across the whole Android OS and some of the Google Apps.

Yes, I see that now. It's very discrete, I think it looks great. Apple should dump flashy textures and use textures that the user doesn't notice, but make him more comfortable. Windows had the good idea of going all-digital, but they went too far. What's funny is that their experiment has probably been a lesson to a lot of brands.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Ive brings software, hardware teams together in push for 'flat design'