or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Study finds little difference between iPhone, Galaxy S III users

Study finds little difference between iPhone, Galaxy S III users - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Originally Posted by applesupertramp View Post
Got that?

Nope.

post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

I wonder who paid for this "study" and how they decided which 500 of the tens of millions of iPhone and Galaxy GS III users were average. 

Assuming it was a random sample of each population, 500 is a pretty darn good sample size. http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Soc_participants.shtml

post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Are you in denial about Android's malware problem or are you just regurgitating BS you've been led to believe?
Maybe you could regurgitate this:

"McAfee: Android malware problem getting worse, now most-targeted platform"
http://www.slashgear.com/mcafee-android-malware-problem-getting-worse-now-most-targeted-platform-24174009/

"Android is a malware cesspool -- and users don't care"
http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/android-malware-cesspool-and-users-dont-care-006

Android malware chart
http://photos.appleinsider.com/android-malware-chart-130307.jpg

The latest versions of Apple iOS and Google Android seem to offer security with both solutions offering Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), Application Sandboxing, Code Signing, File System Encryption, Mobile Device Management (including Remote Wipe), Protected APIs, Secure Boot Chain.

Apple iOS has several distinct and important advantages;

* Background Processes are managed by strict API guidelines and managed through admission to the App Store to prevent errant applications;
* Integrated SSL, TLS and VPN support including (default) encryption for default apps such as Calendar, Mail and Safari;
* No Multiple Abstraction Layers, i.e. Dalvik Virtual Machine on Linux kernel with every abstraction layer providing potential vulnerabilities (every Android app runs within its own virtual machine);
* Fewer Ports offer fewer potential vulnerabilities especially SD cards; and
* Software Updates are managed exclusively by Apple allowing security updates to be developed and deployed rapidly
* No Confusing app Privacy and Security Management

Although none of these vulnerabilities are singularly a massive security threat, the aggregate of the vulnerabilities creates a massive security hole. I believe Google will make every attempt to resolve some of these features but none of the features except the confusing app Privacy and Security Management is resolvable due to supposed market demand or the platform concept.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 3/22/13 at 9:49am
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails View Post

I'm pretty certain that those flagship handsets from Samsung are being used just as much as any iPhone out there. 

How can you be "pretty certain"? Based on what data?

-----

Add:

Just came across this: within a few weeks of introduction, the iPhone 5 alone bested Galaxy S3 in terms of web traffic volume: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57531285-37/iphone-5-traffic-volume-already-surpasses-samsungs-galaxy-s3/

Edited by anantksundaram - 3/22/13 at 9:41am
post #45 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope.

I suspect the poster is alluding to the possibility that the Android users knew they were being tracked for the study and as a result may have specifically retrieved their Samsung Galaxy SIII which was previously powered off and sitting abandoned in home drawers, ... and closets.
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The latest versions of Apple iOS and Google Android offer very good security...

You had me at "both offer very good security".1biggrin.gif

Edit: LOLZ! That made you go back and change what you said about very good security after you were honest and correct in the first place? Now they just offer security, neither one very good. . . lol.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/22/13 at 4:49pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #47 of 94
I'd like to see a socioeconomic comparison. I bet it's different.
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apres587 View Post

Because you don't care what happens to your Nexus?

No, because it's so much more durable. I must have dropped it a hundred times. Sure there are a bunch of scuffs and cuts around the corners, but nothing is broken and I'm 3 months away from an upgrade. Too much of a sloppy drunk for a fragile phone again.

post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How can you be "pretty certain"? Based on what data?

-----

Add:

Just came across this: within a few weeks of introduction, the iPhone 5 alone bested Galaxy S3 in terms of web traffic volume: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57531285-37/iphone-5-traffic-volume-already-surpasses-samsungs-galaxy-s3/

Wishful thinking? Personal bias has a lot to do with how we interpret data that doesn't fit our models.

post #50 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWitCheez1 View Post

Funk The Android. It's just a iPhone with another manufacturer shell on top.

Case closed.

Explain to me how this is true. Have you used an android phone before?

post #51 of 94

I'll agree that the demographic slice of Galaxy SIII v iPhone users are similar, the only thing different is that the Galaxy users are just a little....misguided. 1biggrin.gif

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #52 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I don't think I will ever understand why Apple users always want to be seen as elite. Does demographics really matter, do we want to classify people by what technology they pick?

Gosh, I should clarify. I have no personal desire to be seen as 'elite'. At a personal level, it does not matter to me one whit.

However, valuation issues interest me deeply, and the demographic characteristics of a company's consumer base matters a heck of a lot there! It also matters for other things, such as ad revenue you can generate, ecosystem revenue you can generate, cross-selling possibilities, the value of customer lists, value of a lifetime customer, etc.

post #53 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Metal housing that you cover up with a plastic case? Never got that.

Once I got rid of my iPhone 4 (in it's plastic case) and went to my Galaxy Nexus, I stopped using cases.

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking too.  Why cover up a metal case phone with plastic if i like metal.

I need to get rid of my plastic case and buy a metal one.

post #54 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

What a completely stupid and offensive comment. Let me guess, you are another rust belt transplant that thinks everything was better up north but you still move here by the millions to let us know. If things are so bad here with these toothless hicks why are so many of Georgia's cities rated among the best places to live and why is it among the fastest growing in population while many other states up north are flat or losing population. I am a Georgia native and have lived in other states and countries but chose to come back home because it is a fantastic state to live. I seriously doubt you have ever seen any 3 teethed people ever in your life with the exception of a movie. I agree with your premise that the iPhone is no longer premium or elite since it costs the same as Android phones, but surely you could have used a less insulting example to make your case.

Way to completely misread his post.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #55 of 94
Quote:

If all Android and Apple fans are truly honest, we would all admit there are at least some things we are jealous of on the other platform. 

I can truly honestly say -- whether you believe it or not -- that I have absolutely no jealousy for Androiders and their platform.

The only thing that seriously ticks me off is the abiding sense -- backed up by a number of court decisions -- that Android (and Samsung in particular) has blatantly knocked off Apple's IP in many areas. I think that is pretty unfair. They're very welcome to it, but should compensate Apple for the IP.

post #56 of 94
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

The difference is that we know we aren't coders and that we are happy with the nicely designed layout that Apple made. We don't want an open system full of viruses just because one day we might want to write an app, we don't want custom icons and animations in the background made by a 17 year old. Also, we like metal housings.

Once I got rid of my iPhone 4 (in it's plastic case) and went to my Galaxy Nexus, I stopped using cases.

Once I saw what the case was doing to that nice metal casing on my first gen iPhone, I stopped using cases.  I only have skins on my screen and back glass on my iPhone 4.  I would at the very least do the same for the screen for any device I purchased.

post #57 of 94
Quote:

iPhone cases are for pus...s! Problem solved.
post #58 of 94
Quote:

I can truly honestly say -- whether you believe it or not -- that I have absolutely no jealousy for Androiders and their platform.

The only thing that seriously ticks me off is the abiding sense -- backed up by a number of court decisions -- that Android (and Samsung in particular) has blatantly knocked off Apple's IP in many areas. I think that is pretty unfair. They're very welcome to it, but should compensate Apple for the IP.

Android really is awful. I truly can't understand why anyone who has used Android and iOS would ever choose Android. Android is such a contradictory mess of ideas if one didn't know better one might believe the system had been designed by argumentative politicians.

Bigger Screen but Smaller Icons ???
Bigger Screen but Apps that only use half the Display (aka Widgets) ???
Implement Vertical Sync, Triple Buffering and "Touch Responsiveness" then throw dodeca-core graphics processors at the problem ???
Implement features that are inconsistent ???
Implement multi-tasking then increase battery size 70% ???

etc.
etc.
etc.
post #59 of 94
Quote:

......but have you spent several weeks using an Android phone running 4.2.2 for example to be familiar enough with the platform to know whether you would like some of those features or not? Everyone finds some quirks or annoyances on their phone that they wish would change...... 

It's a ridiculous leap to go from 'quirks and annoyances' to an assertion tha people must be 'jealous' of the other platform.

As to your question about whether I've spent "....several weeks...." with the Android platform, I'll assume that was not a serious question. (Life's too short to waste on nonsense....)
post #60 of 94
Quote:

It's a ridiculous leap to go from 'quirks and annoyances' to an assertion tha people must be 'jealous' of the other platform.

As to your question about whether I've spent "....several weeks...." with the Android platform, I'll assume that was not a serious question. (Life's too short to waste on nonsense....)

So how do you know what you're missing (or not missing)?  This is a serious question.

post #61 of 94

Besides taste, the other differentiating factor is happiness!

J.D. Power confirmed it. iPhone owners are more happy and satisfied with their purchase than any other smartphone owner, by quite a bit.

post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

So how do you know what you're missing (or not missing)?  This is a serious question.

Some people go through life bemoaning what they might be missing, while others go through it finding high-quality products and services that more-than-satisfyingly meet their demands.

Most of us are, of course, a blend of the two, but I know which end of the scale matters more to me. And to you.

I am quite happy at my end of the scale!

post #63 of 94
This study shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. People buy smartphones to do exactly all those things mentioned.

I can give some insight as to why I prefer Android over iPhone. It's really simple, PRICE. I have a Nexus 4. Retail price (I never buy contract) - $349. iPhone retail price - $649. Now don't get me wrong, I have dished out $549 for a phone before, and I might do that with the HTC One. But the reality is I will never pay $649 for a phone that feature wise is similar to what I can get for $549 (and in some cases less features). iPhone just doesn't have anything that can convince me to pay an extra $100.

Another thing that I don't like is the walled garden. A lot of people think that's good, and it prevents viruses, but I'm a savvy tech guy, I know how to avoid those things, and keep myself protected, I don't need someone doing it for me. I was at the store the other day and my co-worker was going to buy an odb reader. I told him he should just get a bluetooth odb reader, and download the app. He didn't know how to do it so I searched on his iPhone in the app store. The app was NOWHERE. Really? A simple app that connects to a bluetooth device isn't allowed by Apple? There I was thinking Apple had more apps than Android, and I was sure this app was going to be there, but no. Why would I pay an extra $100 for a purposely limiting device?

I like a nice looking phone too, but I'm more price conscious consumer than a "oh it looks shiny I want it" consumer. And if you put the Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 side by side, and you break down price per feature or price per hardware, there's no comparison.
post #64 of 94
Quote:

No point arguing with zealots on either side of the fence. 

Who was being a 'zealot' about what?

Stop making dumb, overwrought statements.

post #65 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

"McAfee: Android malware problem getting worse, now most-targeted platform"

http://www.slashgear.com/mcafee-android-malware-problem-getting-worse-now-most-targeted-platform-24174009/

"Android is a malware cesspool -- and users don't care"

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/android-malware-cesspool-and-users-dont-care-006

Maybe you should find something a little more recent than some article nearly 2 years old? 2011? Also maybe find something not from a company whose business is selling virus scanners to protect you from this “out of control problem”?

I am sure McAfee are completely unbiased, it is not like they would make more money by causing people to be paranoid about the devices they own.

post #66 of 94

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:42am
post #67 of 94
Except iPhone owners are far more satisfied. For the 9th time in a row.
post #68 of 94
Quote:

Then don't judge a man unless you've walked a mile in his shoes.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #69 of 94
@gwmac: what a highly, self opinionated statement
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #70 of 94

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:42am
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

@gwmac: what a highly, self opinionated statement

Geez, that's makes gwmac a true member of the AI Club.

Now you're going to have to show him the secret handshake.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Quote:

Court results have been, to put it politely, mixed.  In those cases where the court found infringement, the court has already established appropriate penalties. No further payment is needed, though if you feel strongly that the court is incorrect I suppose you could submit your recommendations to the relevant judges.

What part of the the subjectivity of the phrase "abiding sense" do you not understand?
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

The difference is that we know we aren't coders and that we are happy with the nicely designed layout that Apple made. We don't want an open system full of viruses just because one day we might want to write an app, we don't want custom icons and animations in the background made by a 17 year old. Also, we like metal housings.

Open system full of viruses is a little over-dramatic, no?
post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Walmart, Best Buy, Target make all of these devices available to just about everyone at the same price point.

That doesn't mean anything, unless you know what proportion of iPhone sales -- as opposed to S3 sales -- happen through outlets like these.

The little data I've seen say that there is, indeed, a significant demographic difference between iOS and Android users. I just don't know what the data say about iPhone versus S3 users. I am guessing the pattern is similar. I was saying (originally) that this study could have provided an interesting comparison of the two, but curiously, did not take the opportunity to do so.
post #75 of 94

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 7/23/13 at 9:41am
post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then don't judge a man unless you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Tried that once. Got a misdemeanor and 30 hours of community service for stealing the man's shoes. Unfortunately he was my judge.

post #77 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Quote:

What part of the the subjectivity of the phrase "abiding sense" do you not understand?

The part where you then chose to qualify it with "backed up by a number of court decisions".  Thank you for clarifying that your post was just random opinion completely unrelated to anything that actually happened.

What part of "backed up by a number of court decisions" do you not understand?

post #78 of 94
Quote:

Some people go through life bemoaning what they might be missing, while others go through it finding high-quality products and services that more-than-satisfyingly meet their demands.

Most of us are, of course, a blend of the two, but I know which end of the scale matters more to me. And to you.

I am quite happy at my end of the scale!

Fair enough. There are some restaurants I go to where I always order the same things because they satisfy my cravings. I asked you the question because you often seem disgusted by the Android experience, and I wanted to clarify the perspective that you do or do not have.
post #79 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post
I asked you the question because you often seem disgusted by the Android experience, ....

I have never used in an Android phone in my life, and don't intend to any time soon. 

I challenge you to find even a single post of mine that conveys a sense of disgust -- or any other emotion -- over the Android experience

If you can't, you'll come back and apologize, won't you?

post #80 of 94
Quote:

I have never used in an Android phone in my life, and don't intend to any time soon. 

I challenge you to find even a single post of mine that conveys a sense of disgust -- or any other emotion -- over the Android experience

If you can't, you'll come back and apologize, won't you?

If I were to search through your post history and find nothing that has a tone of disgust regarding the Android experience, I would say I was wrong.  I wouldn't apologize because I didn't insult or attack you.  I don't plan to do a search because that would take more time than it's worth.  I'll take your word for it as you know your opinions better than anyone else.  One thing that confuses me is how you can imply that you might have a sense of disgust about some aspect of Android other than the experience.  Android, as with any operating system, is nothing but an experience.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Study finds little difference between iPhone, Galaxy S III users