or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Google, LG also rumored to be working on own smart watch devices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google, LG also rumored to be working on own smart watch devices

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Speculation that wearable smart watches are the "next big thing" in tech continues to mount, as a pair of new reports claim both Google and LG are working on their own wrist accessories.

Word of Google's alleged work on a smart watch was reported by the Financial Times, while The Korea Times added that electronics maker LG is also working on its own watch. Those new reports, unsurprisingly attributed to unnamed sources, join claims that Apple is working on a so-called iWatch, while Samsung has publicly admitted that it is readying what would be the company's third attempt to offer a successful wrist-worn accessory.

Wearable Device


Interest in smart watches picked up last year when a Kickstarter campaign for the Pebble wrist watch earned more than $10 million. After a few delays, the device began shipping to supporters this year, and has received generally favorable reviews.

Competitors like the MetaWatch, I'm Watch, Sony Smartwatch, and Cookoo are also currently available for purchase.

Google allegedly views its wristwatch project as a device that could have more mainstream appeal than the company's in-the-works Google Glass project, which offers users the ability to read messages and take photos with a device worn on their head in the same of normal glasses. Google Glass emanates from the search giant's experimental "X Lab," while the company's proven Android team is instead said to be handling development of the rumored Google Watch.

As for LG's watch, that alleged device is said to have a touchscreen, but it's unknown what operating system the device may run. Two options presented by the Korea Times were Android or the Firefox mobile operating system.

However, the same report also erroneously said that Apple "recently leaked photos and information of its iWatch to foreign media outlets." While it's possible that Apple may have secretly leaked information about the rumored device, to date there have been no pictures of it or any of its components ??only fan-made mockups.

AppleInsider did uncover a detailed patent application last month that showed off an official Apple concept for a wristwatch. The accessory shown in the filing boasted a full-length flexible touchscreen display that would conform to a user's body through a "slap bracelet" design.
post #2 of 30
Google received a "smartwatch" patent a couple weeks ago, and there was another approved in Oct/2012, originally filed about a year earlier in 2011. That Google might have been looking into the possibility of developing a smartwatch for several years now isn't anything new.

As for LG that is a new one to me.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/22/13 at 9:45am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #3 of 30

I'm waiting for the smart necklace.The_Gamesters_of_Triskelion_185.JPG

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #4 of 30
Of course they are. I fully expect they all had something going before we ever heard about any iWatch rumours, and if they didn't they certainly did immediately after the iWatch rumours appeared.

Now I can see LG and Google et al. trying to using Android but I don't think that's ideal. Even with current advancements I think a more limited, power efficient OS would be better. The Pebble watch uses FreeRTOS.

Jean-Louis Gassée feels that Apple will use iOS. I disagree. I think that something closer to what the iPods use. The latest Nanos already have Bluetooth connectivity. I expect it to be an accessory to your iOS-based iDevices, not a fullblown computing device that is designed to make and receive calls, emails, etc. on its own. It will have its own independent features but the advanced options will interact with your iDevice.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 30
I think Apple need to start spreading rumors that they are working on something completely fictitious, just to send Google and Samsung off on a wild goose chase copying something that doesn't exist.

The iSpaceShip perhaps?
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm waiting for the smart necklace.

 

Angelique Pettyjohn was my favorite Star Trek actress turned porn star.

 

I commented my skepticism about smart watches on a different forum discussing Google entering the fray along with Samsung and Apple. One response said I should buy an Apple product if I was such a fossil I could not grasp the genius of a smart watch. Brand partisanship defies logic.

post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course they are. I fully expect they all had something going before we ever heard about any iWatch rumours, and if they didn't they certainly did immediately after the iWatch rumours appeared.

Now I can see LG and Google et al. trying to using Android but I don't think that's ideal. Even with current advancements I think a more limited, power efficient OS would be better. The Pebble watch uses FreeRTOS.

Jean-Louis Gassée feels that Apple will use iOS. I disagree. I think that something closer to what the iPods use. The latest Nanos already have Bluetooth connectivity. I expect it to be an accessory to your iOS-based iDevices, not a fullblown computing device that is designed to make and receive calls, emails, etc. on its own. It will have its own independent features but the advanced options will interact with your iDevice.

FreeRTOS is a RTOS (doh), which I always assumed iOS isn't. iOS must have a real-time capability or component though. Anyone familiar with this?

 

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #8 of 30
Not sure if these things would be better as a Bluetooth accessory for a phone, or better as something like a wearable iPod Touch Nano. I don't think they could make a watch with the battery life of a phone if it had a LTE transceiver in it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm waiting for the smart necklace.

 

William Shatner's birthday today (March 22nd). Happy birthday Will!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not sure if these things would be better as a Bluetooth accessory for a phone, or better as something like a wearable iPod Touch Nano. I don't think they could make a watch with the battery life of a phone if it had a LTE transceiver in it.

I'd expect any iWatch to be an iPhone accessory rather than a standalone product. Same with a smartwatch from Google if it happens, and perhaps even working with either iOS or Android. Receiving it's data from a smartphone link only makes sense on many levels.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think Apple need to start spreading rumors that they are working on something completely fictitious, just to send Google and Samsung off on a wild goose chase copying something that doesn't exist.

The iSpaceShip perhaps?

Samsung is the Apple copycat, Google do their own thing and despite people's beliefs, Google's archival is not Apple but Microsoft.

The idea of a smart watch has been on Google's radar for a couple of years now. They even filled patents for it. It makes perfect sense for them to build such a device considering Google Now. I think that a Google smart watch that itengrates with Now would be killer.
post #12 of 30

Of course everyone has a watch "in development."  Every big tech player with sufficient R&D funds have all kinds of things in development. Most of them will never see the light of day.

 

What I think is happening now is that rumors of an Apple device have motivated said players to let it be known that they've been working on stuff, so that if Apple does in fact release an iWatch, they can quickly move get something on the market to prevent another Apple smash hit or at least claim me too status.

 

In other words, Apple sets the agenda, even if it's all only speculative, even as its rivals are at pains to claim prior art.  That's the way it always goes with Apple.  They take a category, make it popular because they care about making it actually work instead of larding it with "features", then the other players adopt Apple's approach and act as if that approach was just sort of lying there, free for anyone to pick up.  The fact that they picked it up after Apple releases a product is just a coincidence, or the "obvious" next big thing.

 

So as a kind of preemptive question for the inevitable revisionist history:  if Apple does release an iWatch, and it becomes popular, and we are informed that there is nothing innovative in such a watch because they are already available and because Samsung, at least, will hustle to put an Android equivalent on the market ASAP, then why are smart watches not popular now?

 

Right?  If Apple has nothing new to bring to the table but a theoretical iWatch proves to be popular, how can that be?  Why doesn't Samsung or MS or Google have such a product on the market now, a product that causes people to want a catagory of product that they heretofore have shown little interest in?  Or why aren't the products that are on the market, Sony's or Samsung's say, popular?  Can't be the Reality Distortion Field, that passed away with Steve.  Can't be "marketing", Samsung outspends Apple on marketing by huge margins.  It's a puzzler.  Probably fan boys, the answer to every question.

 

Of course, what would be really hilarious is if Apple has no intention of releasing a smart watch, and the entire frenzy of rumor and counter rumor is nothing but a house of cards based on the presumptions of tech pundits.  Apple might be releasing something, so naturally everybody else might be releasing something as well, and Apple might be preempted by the maybe rivals to their possible tech.

 

I look forward to the speculative discussion about how Apple was forced to abandon their iWatch initiative after the competition completely killed them with imaginary watches that also won't be released because something something fan boys.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #13 of 30
I am also working on a serious iWatch competitor. Please update the headline to "Google, LG and Wovel..."
post #14 of 30

Apple should start working on their Apple Glass and Apple driverless car. The others like Lenovo, Huawei and ZTE are already working on their smart watch, smart TV, and Glass integrated with cars etc.

 

Nokia and Microsoft Glass and smart watch are also coming.

post #15 of 30
cant wait to see that watch with same ghosting problem as some rMBP with LG panels
post #16 of 30
I dare say that companies have been looking at smart watches in 1 form or another for the last 40 years.
post #17 of 30

I wish Samsung, Google and LG would inovate on their own and STOP copying Apple.

post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsurprised View Post

I wish Samsung, Google and LG would inovate on their own and STOP copying Apple.

How, pray tell, is Google copying Apple on this?

post #19 of 30
Originally Posted by Notsurprised View Post
I wish Samsung, Google and LG would inovate on their own and STOP copying Apple.

 

Let's wait for Apple to actually create a device to copy first.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

How, pray tell, is Google copying Apple on this?

Vaporware? 1wink.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd expect any iWatch to be an iPhone accessory rather than a standalone product. Same with a smartwatch from Google if it happens, and perhaps even working with either iOS or Android. Receiving it's data from a smartphone link only makes sense on many levels.

The technology for something like Dick Tracey's watch-phone is probably here now, but I don't think a battery that small would have enough capacity to last long enough to make it practical. Bluetooth, OTOH seems to be low power enough that it would work, in conjunction with a phone, which could be nearby (pocket or purse).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The technology for something like Dick Tracey's watch-phone is probably here now, but I don't think a battery that small would have enough capacity to last long enough to make it practical. Bluetooth, OTOH seems to be low power enough that it would work, in conjunction with a phone, which could be nearby (pocket or purse).

Agreed
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #23 of 30

Rumor is Apple is working on this:

 

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f326/?i=front

post #24 of 30

They better do something asap with some new product or else apple will be sinking eventually with all the other competitors out there.
 

post #25 of 30
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post
They better do something asap with some new product or else apple will be sinking eventually with all the other competitors out there.

 

Abject nonsense.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #26 of 30
Aha. So there is already the Pebble, and there may soon be Google and LG smartwatches. I seem to recall that there was a mini-flood of pad computer announcements just before the first iPad was announced. None of which still exist. (Or, if they do still exist, nobody uses them anyway.)

If and when Apple releases an iOS device in a watch form factor, the same thing will happen. It will crush the competitors who bang their products out, hoping to take advantage of the pre-Apple-smartwatch window of opportunity.

One smartwatch builder has apparently already bitten the dust. Remember Starfish? The company that showed a barely-functional iPhone / iPad "mirroring device"? Whose rep told Lex Friedman of Macworld "Did you hear me? I'm done talking to you!" and got in his face? Read all about it:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2027044/starfish-smartwatch-saga-illustrates-entrepreneurial-stumbling-blocks.html

Extinct would-be iPad competitors announced circa CES 2010:

- HP Windows Slate
- Lenovo Ideapad U1 Hybrid Notebook/Tablet
- Sony Dash Mobile Internet Device
- Notion Ink Adam Smartpad
- Archos 9 PCTablet
- Innovative Converged Devices Vega and Ultra Tablets
- Freescale Semiconductors Tablet
- Pegatron Tablet
- Dell 'Streak' Android Tablet Concept
- Hearst 'Skiff' reader

And then there were the 80 or 90 announced at CES 2011:
http://mobilitydigest.com/how-many-tablets-were-announced-at-ces/

Sources:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/186281/dawn_of_the_tablet_pc_ces_2010_roundup.html
http://mashable.com/2010/01/04/skiff-announced/
Edited by SockRolid - 3/23/13 at 10:17am

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post


Samsung is the Apple copycat, Google do their own thing and despite people's beliefs, Google's archival is not Apple but Microsoft.

The idea of a smart watch has been on Google's radar for a couple of years now. They even filled patents for it. It makes perfect sense for them to build such a device considering Google Now. I think that a Google smart watch that itengrates with Now would be killer.

 

How is Samsung a copy cat when its been demonstrating wrist worn smart devices since 1998.

 

You claim Google's smart watch concept has been on Google's "radar" for a "couple of years now" (read: less than 10 years) 

 

Samsung has had that idea for more than a "couple of years now".

 

Even AI recently wrote about Samsung's third attempt at their wrist worn device.

 

Here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/21/new-samsung-smart-watch-will-be-companys-third-stab-at-wrist-accessory

 

You are purposelly failing to acknowledge your mistake. Lets start looking at facts before making nonsense accusations.

 

Right now, just looking at the facts, it seems like its Apple who is doing the "copying".

 

 

 

 

 

Speaking of  LG

 

They also have wrist worn product on the market.

 

LG GD910

 


Edited by Galbi - 3/23/13 at 11:22am

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #28 of 30

And as per my earlier post, none of those devices sell in numbers to qualify them as anything but curiosities.

 

The question isn't whether any sort of smart watch exists-- of course they do.  The question is how do you make a smart watch that anyone would want to own, in numbers that qualify for mainstream status.  I have no idea if Apple plans a smart watch, and if they release such a thing if it will be popular.

 

But I am sure that if they do and it is, people like you will hammer away at the idea such a product is "nothing new" because of the lame ass, barely registering on the radar stuff already on the market.  And I'm equally sure that if an Apple watch is a big hit, those same devices will mysteriously undergo a rapid transformation to make them much more like whatever Apple chooses to do, and you'll claim that such modifications were "inevitable" and that Apple was just (coincidentally, again) just slightly ahead of the curve.

 

So I'll put to you the questions I posed in my earlier post:  if Samsung's and LG's offerings are evidence of "been there done that", why don't they sell better?  Why does no one outside tech enthusiast circles even know they exist?  And if there are obvious, inevitable ways to make them better, what are they?  Should be easy to say, now, because, well, obvious and all.  Right?  Just like "everybody knew" that all touch screen phones were right around the corner when Apple got around to it, so it should have been easy to make that claim before the iPhone was released.  So what are the big UI innovations that would make a Samsung, LG or Google watch worth having, for non-geeks?

 

Apple doesn't just makeup product categories out of whole cloth.  They find areas that are being grossly underserved because of shitty software, shitty hardware, or both, and rethink them from the ground up with a mind to making them actually useful.  Once they've done that, their solutions are immediately deemed too obvious to deserve recognition, and the industry rallies around these "obvious" ideas.  So tell me now:  what can Apple do that isn't just more of the same?

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And as per my earlier post, none of those devices sell in numbers to qualify them as anything but curiosities.

 

The question isn't whether any sort of smart watch exists-- of course they do.  The question is how do you make a smart watch that anyone would want to own, in numbers that qualify for mainstream status.  I have no idea if Apple plans a smart watch, and if they release such a thing if it will be popular.

 

But I am sure that if they do and it is, people like you will hammer away at the idea such a product is "nothing new" because of the lame ass, barely registering on the radar stuff already on the market.  And I'm equally sure that if an Apple watch is a big hit, those same devices will mysteriously undergo a rapid transformation to make them much more like whatever Apple chooses to do, and you'll claim that such modifications were "inevitable" and that Apple was just (coincidentally, again) just slightly ahead of the curve.

 

So I'll put to you the questions I posed in my earlier post:  if Samsung's and LG's offerings are evidence of "been there done that", why don't they sell better?  Why does no one outside tech enthusiast circles even know they exist?  And if there are obvious, inevitable ways to make them better, what are they?  Should be easy to say, now, because, well, obvious and all.  Right?  Just like "everybody knew" that all touch screen phones were right around the corner when Apple got around to it, so it should have been easy to make that claim before the iPhone was released.  So what are the big UI innovations that would make a Samsung, LG or Google watch worth having, for non-geeks?

 

Apple doesn't just makeup product categories out of whole cloth.  They find areas that are being grossly underserved because of shitty software, shitty hardware, or both, and rethink them from the ground up with a mind to making them actually useful.  Once they've done that, their solutions are immediately deemed too obvious to deserve recognition, and the industry rallies around these "obvious" ideas.  So tell me now:  what can Apple do that isn't just more of the same?

 

Oh great, now the goal post has moved from "Apple was the first"  to "Apple wasnt the first, but it could be the first mass market".

 

This is a moving target that will never be fully fulfilled, ever.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #30 of 30

Going to have to work on that reading comprehension.  Or possibly just literacy, since you don't appear to have read my post.

 

If Apple is "first to mass market" with a smart watch, why would that be?  Why isn't a Samsung or LG or Sony watch already there?  Samsung, for one, certainly doesn't lack for mind share or advertising dollars or drive, so you can't claim that Apple would somehow push a watch on an indifferent populace through those means.  

 

Again, (and this is the important part, so you might take a second to actually think about what I'm saying) if Apple makes a watch and it proves to be popular, it will because they made fundamental changes, compared to what is currently available, to the design and intention of such a product.  Fundamental changes sufficient to make an Apple smart watch a fundamentally different product, despite the putative availability of hardware bearing the same designation-- which, you'll notice, nobody seems to want.

 

You know, like the iPod, iPhone and iPad.  All reinventing preexisting categories by rethinking what they were for and how people might use them.  Dismissing these as merely "first to mass market" is to be willfully ignorant, apparently out of irrational animosity towards Apple.  It requires you to pretend that Apple just happened to luck in to some timing, over and over again, and that every other company making these products would have shortly come around to Apple's style of doing things (or inexplicably succeeded with products that had gone nowhere for years) over and over again.

 

What's sort of depressing is that if this all comes to pass-- if Apple makes a watch, it's a hit, everybody else immediately shifts gears to make watches that follow Apple's lead-- people like you will continue to grimly maintain that Apple has done nothing of significance, that there was no innovation, that whatever they might do was going to happen anyway, was "inevitable."

 

So it would appear the moving target is all yours.  You throw that out as if it were a common strategy of Apple apologists, but the facts of Apple's track record speak for themselves.  The iPhone changed the mobile industry forever, full stop. The iPod changed the music industry. The iPad created an entirely new computing platform, one that is being adopted as quickly as possible by every competitor, after "tablets" had languished on shelves for 10 years without making a dent in the market. Are those moving goal posts?  Sounds more like churlish muttering on your part because you can't think of an actual argument.

 

But I put it to you again-- if Apple is poised to take the moribund smart watch category mass market, what's going to change?  You'll claim it's obvious after the fact, so tell us now.  Apple doesn't innovate, so it shouldn't take too much imagination.  Cheaper?  Bigger?  Faster?  Prettier?  Go ahead and set down some goal posts of your own, and we'll see were the movement is.


Edited by addabox - 3/26/13 at 12:44pm
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Google, LG also rumored to be working on own smart watch devices