or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported Apple 'iPhone 5S' parts show home button, vibration

Purported Apple 'iPhone 5S' parts show home button, vibration

post #1 of 37
New images have emerged online purporting to show the home button and vibration module for the next iteration of Apple's iPhone.

parts

The images, posted to a Japanese forum and publicized by NWE, are plain shots of detached smartphone components against a white background. The supposed "iPhone 5S" home button bears some similarities to the home button seen in the iPhone 5, however the connectors and circuitry running from the new button are much changed from its supposed predecessor.

The serial numbers shown on each of the home buttons are similar, which could indicate a higher likelihood that the pictured part is indeed from a future Apple device.

Less information is available regarding the supposed vibrational unit for a so-called "iPhone 5S." The unit pictured doesn't bear any serial numbers or other identification, but it appeared on the same site as the purported home button.

partsy

Friday's report notes that it is impossible to determine whether these are indeed parts from a future Apple product. The same site in January published a different set of supposed iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 parts, saying that the devices were slated for release over the next several months.

While rumors and part leaks for forthcoming Apple products are nothing new, rumor mill activity has increased over the last few months, with analysts and investors expecting Apple to release one or more new iPhone models in the coming months. Among the most prevalent rumors is the possibility of a cheaper iPhone, most recently rumored to be made from plastic, with a non-Retina display and summer availability.
post #2 of 37
parts...is parts....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #3 of 37
So .. no fingerprint reader under the button then. Good.
post #4 of 37
I wouldn't say no fingerprint sensor on that button ... it's got at least 10 connections to it (see the connector). You wouldn't need 10 connections just for a button.
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. An "under glass" fingerprint reader would be kind of neat, if it did away with the home button, and then a "home bar" could be put in its place with a UI solution that could be swiped up and down like the notification center, but otherwise it seems gimmicky.
post #6 of 37
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I wouldn't say no fingerprint sensor on that button ... it's got at least 10 connections to it (see the connector). You wouldn't need 10 connections just for a button.

Isn't that what the connector has always been?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #7 of 37
Is there not a fingerprint reader? There is some reason for the extra contacts on that flex cable. Keep in mind the authentec stuff reads the layer below the surface of your skin. Even if they didn't integrate the fingerprint sensor the extra contacts are for something. They had some reason to go from 2 to 10.
post #8 of 37

Is it not technically feasible to use the screen as a fingerprint sensor? It would certainly be more user friendly.

post #9 of 37
For heaven's sake can we get some Mac Pro rumors for a change?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #10 of 37
Originally Posted by xclntgig View Post
Is it not technically feasible to use the screen as a fingerprint sensor? It would certainly be more user friendly.

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's a new touchscreen tech that reads the capacitance of the user touching it. Not only could this be used for multiple accounts on the same device (bad idea, in my opinion), it could be used for security purposes.

"Oh, you know the password but your capacitance differs from my owner's. NOT GONNA HAPPEN, HOTSHOT."

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Coming in 2013."

Ooh, when are the next two families of GPUs being released? ATI's 8000 series and Nvidia's… whatever they're on now? That could be an indicator as much as Intel's inability to release Haswell on time chip schedule.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 3/22/13 at 11:27am

post #11 of 37
All I need to know. Time to order the BB10. These cables are just an evolution.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's a new touchscreen tech that reads the capacitance of the user touching it. Not only could this be used for multiple accounts on the same device (bad idea, in my opinion), it could be used for security purposes.

"Oh, you know the password but your capacitance differs from my owner's. NOT GONNA HAPPEN, HOTSHOT."

Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?

post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?

Even if that were the case, you could imagine a software solution that "refreshed" the key within certain thresholds so that it changed over time as well.
post #14 of 37
Oh Apple, Samsung S4 is not a great upgrade from S3. It does not mean that you can take some rest and be happy. No Fingerprint scanner? This is shit. If this is the case, 5S is another S4. Shit.
post #15 of 37
Quote:

The iPhone 5 home button assembly has only two contacts, as you'll see around 4:45 in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUEFNcu_IEE

Those two large gold pads were designed to mate to springs on some other subassembly. The speaker connects the same way.

It's possible that they switched to a surface mount connector for assembly related reasons, and that the smallest connector in the family carries 10 pins, but I see evidence of more than two traces in the flex cable. So, I think we are seeing more than two connections in the new assembly. I don't know how Authentec's fingerprint reading technology works, but classic ridge detection would require more complexity than I'm seeing here.

Using methods similar to the magic mouse, Apple could be putting rudimentary gesture detection in the home button. Swiping up/down/left/right across the button surface could be detected with perhaps no more than four sensors and that many additional wires.

post #16 of 37
Quote:

Picture (above) of the iP5 button only has 2 connections. Interesting to see if it will do something extra on the next iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Jeez, is this the replacement for the people moaning about matt screens and blu-ray drives?

post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Man! I hope you are jesting with us because if you are serious, you fail at life.

post #18 of 37
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
Man! I hope you are jesting with us because if you are serious, you fail at life.

I would have thought 'these cables are just an evolution' would have given that away. lol.gif

I thought the same when I first read about it. I imagine that is the case, given that the bases of many biometric systems do change over time, but as with any intelligent software:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post
Even if that were the case, you could imagine a software solution that "refreshed" the key within certain thresholds so that it changed over time as well.

post #19 of 37
@digitalclips ... Have you seen the one about the G4 cube redesign idea for the Mac Pro?

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #20 of 37

My wife has gotta hear about this.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #21 of 37
Is it me or does it look like the vibration module has 3 LEDs going across the bar on the top?
post #22 of 37
Originally Posted by JWBL View Post
Is it me or does it look like the vibration module has 3 LEDs going across the bar on the top?

Thing about components which serve the same function is that they don't have anything to do with one another. You're seeing what you want to see.

post #23 of 37
Quote:

I had the intermittent button response problem on my 4S. The tech that replaced it explained that the button has more contacts than just the bottom center . Sure enough when I pressed with my left finger I could never make it fail. Perhaps it has 8 contacts around the outside, one in the middle and one that provides juice. /shrug
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I guess Apple would probably have the fingerprint reader built into the screen.  I think that's where they might put that functionality.  The only thing we can really do other than speculate is to wait.

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Do you even understand the article?  Using a Flex cable is simply stating that they are Flex cables and they aren't trying to pitch that they are some innovation.  the button itself if where the changes are as they are showing the current part and the new part.  That's all this article is showing are the differences in the parts and speculating what the actual changes are.  Apple's been using Flex cables on their other products LONG before Blackberry was even a company as Flex cables have been used in desktop and laptop computers for YEARS.  The over all design of the parts are different and what the actual differences are is pure speculation.  For all we know, these might not even be the final Flex cable/button/vibrator.   They are just rumors.

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Oh Apple, Samsung S4 is not a great upgrade from S3. It does not mean that you can take some rest and be happy. No Fingerprint scanner? This is shit. If this is the case, 5S is another S4. Shit.

Why are you getting bent out of shape?  Whatever they are working on is a new model.  What it's going to have or not have remains to be seen.  Apple is always working on improvements when they have the technology/need to improve something.  Remember, the final product(s) have NOT been released yet.

Personally, the S4 is more like an upgrade to the first generation Note but without the stylus pen.  To me, the S4 is more of a phablet w/o a stylus, which to me, is simply too big in terms of overall size.  I hope that Apple releases a larger screen phone, but something smaller than a 5 inch model by Jan 2014 as that's when my 2 year contract is up, so what they release before then doesn't really affect me on a personal level.  But when my 2 year contract is up, then I'll get excited about what's on the market.   

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

@digitalclips ... Have you seen the one about the G4 cube redesign idea for the Mac Pro?

Is that the one where it crosses the road to get to the other side?
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Picture (above) of the iP5 button only has 2 connections. Interesting to see if it will do something extra on the next iPhone.
Jeez, is this the replacement for the people moaning about matt screens and blu-ray drives?

That was always MacBook users moaning about that sort of stuff. Users of Mac Pros can have any screen they want, as many as they want (nearly) and any number of burners, blu, geen or red. That's why thery are called Mac Pros. 1biggrin.gif
post #29 of 37
Quote:

Yes probably even minute to minute. For example when wearing surgical gloves or some other thin glove, the phone works fine but I would be willing to bet that the capacitive value is different. If you walk outside on a really cold day the capacitive value would likely be different too. I think using that method of identity authorization is too problematic, especially when Apple has a license to use actual fingerprint reading tech. Still an issue for surgical gloves but more than likely you would be able to turn off that feature if need be.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #30 of 37
Quote:

Wovel is a well-known card. See his post in the thread today about Google working on a watch.
post #31 of 37
Quote:

The lactating udders from which all iPhone 5S rumors spurt forth is still heavy with their fluids. Every drop must be harvested for maximum site engagement!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

My wife has gotta hear about this.

Well they have for years stated an iPhone is one of the most personal devices you can own, Apple is just taking it to a new level.

post #33 of 37
Quote:

Perhaps a joystick?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That was always MacBook users moaning about that sort of stuff. Users of Mac Pros can have any screen they want, as many as they want (nearly) and any number of burners, blu, geen or red. That's why thery are called Mac Pros. 1biggrin.gif

Excellent response!

On the topic of off topic Mac Pro, there are very good threads to read, which you are already doing, but I thought I'd post a couple of links. Many useful info here, from readers and moderators, all well founded, filled with links, thoughts, ideas and pics:

And an interesting question from Belgium on the topic of I/O Controller Hub
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/155198/mac-pro-ich
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #34 of 37
Quote:

I agree :D

Although I've got my MacPro 1,1 running 16Gb/5770/Mountain Lion it is still screaming for a replacement.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what they will replace it with/new version.

It's always interesting to see what they are up to with new versions.  Any parts/news on the new larger screen version?

Living the life
Living the life
post #35 of 37
Quote:

Rumour has it the power button will look like this:

Both the Mac Pro and iPhone won't be out for a while yet so there probably won't be anything to go on until later on this year:

http://www.wmskill.com/hardware/newest-core-i7-extreme-ivy-bridge-eep-intel-cpus-postponed

The launch of Ivy Bridge EP could happen around September at IDF. There is an IDF event on April 10th, they might have some Haswell desktop/laptop news then. Intel was supposed to launch Haswell for the new MBPs in April but it looks like June now. IDF will probably give some info about what's happening and when though.

edit: Here's an article with a rough schedule:

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013032101_Launch_schedule_of_Intel_Xeon_processors.html

The ones for the Mac Pro would be Xeon E5-2600 v2 and they are still saying Q3 2013, which goes from July-September. They could show off Xeon E3 in a couple of weeks along with Haswell desktop/laptop and launch E5 in September as well as show samples of Haswell Xeons which will be DDR4 compatible. The Ivy Bridge EP chipsets don't support 4x SATA 6G connections, USB3 or PCIe3 so Apple would have to add all of those things, which they typically don't do in their computer line.

Apple could announce a newly designed Mac Pro at WWDC and say it will ship 3 months later. They can't force Intel to make the chips faster. They could get the first batch of the chips but it's already been so long, another couple of months isn't going to make much difference.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowasaki View Post

Although I've got my MacPro 1,1 running 16Gb/5770/Mountain Lion..

But 1,1 runs up to 10.7.5, no?

@Marvin Excellent post. Again.
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

The iPhone 5 home button assembly has only two contacts, as you'll see around 4:45 in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUEFNcu_IEE
Those two large gold pads were designed to mate to springs on some other subassembly. The speaker connects the same way.

It's possible that they switched to a surface mount connector for assembly related reasons, and that the smallest connector in the family carries 10 pins, but I see evidence of more than two traces in the flex cable. So, I think we are seeing more than two connections in the new assembly. I don't know how Authentec's fingerprint reading technology works, but classic ridge detection would require more complexity than I'm seeing here.

Using methods similar to the magic mouse, Apple could be putting rudimentary gesture detection in the home button. Swiping up/down/left/right across the button surface could be detected with perhaps no more than four sensors and that many additional wires.
What would be the purpose of a home button with left/right/up/down swipe? You can do that on the screen. Unless it would be swipping between apps? I'd like that!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported Apple 'iPhone 5S' parts show home button, vibration